Official COVID-19 megathread

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

My point still stands - they taste bloody awful at this time of year !

It would be nice to be given the chance to taste them though, there are too many selfish bastards who couldn't give a shite about anyone else. I've been to the supermarkets every evening after work this last week trying to get some basic foodstuffs for my 85 year old mother and a couple of her friends. Empty shelves were all I saw, at least this morning the supermarkets had some foods on the shelves and it wasn't overly hectic I can only put that down to the fact that the hoarders have totally filled their homes. 

52 minutes ago, RobinsDuckEgg said:

I posted a week ago that the UK govt’s bum laissez-faire policy was going to lead to disaster and this is being proved true.

Piffle has ummed and ahhed and lost a precious week in which the genie has well and truly got out of the bottle.

With all the evidence of what had happened beforehand in China. Italy and Spain this is truly criminal behaviour.

This is backed up by the many behavioral scientists who have questioned the appalling delay in the govt response.

https://behavioralscientist.org/why-a-group-of-behavioural-scientists-penned-an-open-letter-to-the-uk-government-questioning-its-coronavirus-response-covid-19-social-distancing/

What I could never understand is that everyone believed the spiel that they were doing everything to delay the upsurge of the curve when they were doing exactly the opposite. Unbelievable and criminal conduct.

Glad to find at last I wasn’t alone in this opinion: Mark Chater Behavioral Scientist expressed similar in Radio 4 Any Questions this Friday/Saturday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000gc5r

-

Yet his approval ratings are through the roof. Boggles the mind.

On 3/19/2020 at 7:37 PM, singe said:

Just repeating this for the hard-of-thinking who still have their heads in the sand. 

Look at the graph where we are in March.  Yes, there aren't many cases yet

Lockdown is happening because of where we are going in June, not where we are now in March. 

Let's assume the percentage needing hospital treatment is only 1% - that figure's well below what we've seen elsewhere, but let's be cautious.

They're talking about 70-80% of the population getting infected. 

That's about 40,000,000 infections in the UK. 

That's about 400,000 needing hospitalisation, all within 4-6 months.

There are only 170,000 hospital beds of any type in the UK, and most of those aren't free or suitable for this condition. So most of those "needing" hospital aren't going to get the right treatment, increasing the chance they will not survive. 

That little red line at the bottom of the graph is what the NHS can cope with, by the way. 

The other factor is how many people will die from other factors because hospitals are overwhelmed. I wouldn't plan to need a cardiac bypass, kidney transplant, emergency caesarean or urgent tumor removal this summer, because the chance of having enough healthy surgeons and nursing support are slim to none.  

People have relatives with asthma, cystic fibrosis, COPD, leukaemia, heart issues.  They are right to be concerned, scared even.

They are not fucking drama queens. 

5 hours ago, Magic Mikey said:

There are still people that think the earth is flat and that the moon landings were faked. They are harmless buffoons. Unfortunately, the fuckwits that are ignoring the government advice on social distancing will kill people. They will probably be OK so fuck everyone else. It won't just be people with the virus who will die unnecessarily if the NHS becomes overwhelmed. Idiocy, arrogance and selfishness beyond belief. 

I have never said that it was an overreaction and people should ignore advice, I am social distancing and think the idiots that aren't should be made to realize what harm they are doing!

7 hours ago, Pidge said:

The point you were making was that the media are making more of this then they should.

Actually the media are right, the chief medical officer is right and he is not “the media”!

I’m  sure the poor doctors in Italy feel this is worse then 2014/15. 

It fools like you petera that are not taking the government’s requests for us to alter what we do seriously, who worry me. 

I have taken the advice altered my daily life and am social isolating so why call me a  fool?

20 minutes ago, petera1 said:

I have never said that it was an overreaction and people should ignore advice, I am social distancing and think the idiots that aren't should be made to realize what harm they are doing!

Then you're not one of the people I'm talking about. 

1 hour ago, disjointed said:

It would be nice to be given the chance to taste them though, there are too many selfish bastards who couldn't give a shite about anyone else. I've been to the supermarkets every evening after work this last week trying to get some basic foodstuffs for my 85 year old mother and a couple of her friends. Empty shelves were all I saw, at least this morning the supermarkets had some foods on the shelves and it wasn't overly hectic I can only put that down to the fact that the hoarders have totally filled their homes. 

Hopefully.

The saddest part is the people who have been rifling the shelves are probably the same ones who load the trolleys up at Christmas and end up throwing half of it away.

I suspect I would not do well if the coronavirus came calling but in all the calculations I don't see any evidence that the impact on the social and economic fabric of society is being taken into account.  I understand why our Government is fascinated by the prospect of people dying from this manmade viral attack - you push animals/bats out of their natural environment and wonder why their close contact with us causes viruses to jump species.  But understanding their concern does not take away their responsibility to consider the long term consequences of what they are asking us to do.

In particular they don't seem to be considering the impact of their policies on our health.  Older people still have all the problems that caused the bulk of the 616,000 who died last year but the GPs have put up a ring fence notwithstanding that they all have lives to lead outside the practice.  I can't get a blood test recommended by my GP because I have had an intermittent cough since Christmas and they will not let me in.  A friend of my wife has had radiotherapy for cancer postponed - I'm sure the 'neglect' of the 'normal' has many stories.

We are faced with an attempt to smooth the curve which if successful will result in another curve in the Autumn and possibly another after that. By concentrating our effort on Covid 19 there will be untold hardship.  I'm sure when we look back on this event we will understand why they treated it as the only thing that mattered but wonder why the didn't count the cost of their actions.  Many lives might be saved from Covid 19 but will many more be lost?

I work for the nhs and am terrified of what I might be redeployed to do over the coming months. But I’m more terrified about the psychological damage it will do to individuals and society as a whole. 

But social distancing has to happen. The cost of not following this measure is too expansive. 

8 hours ago, maddog said:

I work for the nhs and am terrified of what I might be redeployed to do over the coming months. But I’m more terrified about the psychological damage it will do to individuals and society as a whole. 

But social distancing has to happen. The cost of not following this measure is too expansive. 

Spot on, as much as we have to social distance, I fear for the mental well being of a great deal of people in society.

23 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Although you can be a proper _wat at times (particularly to poor old me) I agree with your underlying sentiment, Monty. Population growth (and how to prevent it) has actually been at the top of many government agendas for years (although in relative secret because of the obvious controversy and emotion it casues). I was on the razz in London once (I know, mcfluff is going to slate me again) with quite a high ranking diplomat. When having had a few pints of the "truth drug" he said something along the lines of, "We can recycle and go electric all we want in the UK - but in the final analysis, it won't make a jot of difference whilst humans are breeding like fucking rabbits. All these climate change activists can't see that the massive elephant in the room is the huge numbers of people on the planet, consuming huge amounts of energy, resources, food etc. It can't go on - we need to get to a stable population of around 3 billion tops."

Controversial? Maybe.

Truthful? Maybe.

Nice of your diplomat to espouse his little kernel of truth. Would he be one of the volunteers for the cull? I think not...more probably he would claim Diplomatic Immunity and ask to be whisked away to the nearest underground bunker. What about Monty and you...willing to be part of the "excess" and be removed?

Everybody with an ounce of sense knows the planet is over populated. Only if we could somehow manage to get a cohesive World structure in place, where the governments could work together and the plentiful food and space could be utilised and distributed fairly. Not a chance because human nature is greed and ignorance to the plight of others. Some can suppress that inherent trait quite successfully, whilst others cannot and it just runs rampant. Hence the supermarket chaos and the idiots still wandering the streets as if it was all some kind of nonsense the government has cooked up to suppress the masses...either that or they are just too thick to comprehend.

Just a personal though on your diplomatic source. If we suddenly lost half the World's population, whole societies would collapse anyway, as the infrastructures could not be maintained...or was he just targeting Third World countries and those who have no homes or jobs?

21 hours ago, RobinsDuckEgg said:

I posted a week ago that the UK govt’s bum laissez-faire policy was going to lead to disaster and this is being proved true.

Piffle has ummed and ahhed and lost a precious week in which the genie has well and truly got out of the bottle.

With all the evidence of what had happened beforehand in China. Italy and Spain this is truly criminal behaviour.

This is backed up by the many behavioral scientists who have questioned the appalling delay in the govt response.

https://behavioralscientist.org/why-a-group-of-behavioural-scientists-penned-an-open-letter-to-the-uk-government-questioning-its-coronavirus-response-covid-19-social-distancing/

What I could never understand is that everyone believed the spiel that they were doing everything to delay the upsurge of the curve when they were doing exactly the opposite. Unbelievable and criminal conduct.

Mark Chater Behavioral Scientist expressed similar in Radio 4 Any Questions this Friday/Saturday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000gc5r

-

If isolation had been brought in sooner, or like has happened in China, people here wouldn't put up with it for long, and we would then have civil disobedience and riots on the streets, making things far worse.

I've had a walk around the local park today. It was nowhere near as busy as I expected it to be. The other people who were out were either on their own, in couples, or in family groups. There were some small kids in the playground, but nothing like the usual number on a nice day like today. No groups of teenagers either that I saw, whether it was different at other times when I wasn't their I don't know. Perhaps the message is finally getting through.

On 3/15/2020 at 4:14 PM, wiseowl said:

We don't always agree 😵

And now the scaremongerers are having an absolute field day with "coronavirus" - and it will be utter testicles.

By all means, take sensible precautions in protecting the vulnerable sectors as best we can; as for the rest of the population, let it wash through relatively harmlessly; because guess what - it sure as hell will no matter what anyone says or does.

How's the “washing harmlessly through" going? 

1 hour ago, Magic Mikey said:

How's the “washing harmlessly through" going? 

I can’t believe there’s still people in this country who aren’t worried about this. 

Those people are dangerous. 

51 minutes ago, maddog said:

I can’t believe there’s still people in this country who aren’t worried about this. 

It's right to be worried, but you can also be philosophical about it, take the necessary precautions but try to keep your social contacts intact. Stay safe but stay sane. 

3 hours ago, al_bro said:

I've had a walk around the local park today. It was nowhere near as busy as I expected it to be. The other people who were out were either on their own, in couples, or in family groups. There were some small kids in the playground, but nothing like the usual number on a nice day like today. No groups of teenagers either that I saw, whether it was different at other times when I wasn't their I don't know. Perhaps the message is finally getting through.

No it's not. They are all in Snowden, Skegness, Lake District, Delamere Forest etc. Some crazy pictures and features on the news tonight.

Govt is going to have to introduce legislation to control this as self regulation just isn't going to work.

By the way.

Can we not just have a Coronavirus thread rather than this ridiculous thread title for the most important event to hit this country (world maybe) since a world war? There are some really good points being made, some life changing decisions being made and some very personal stories being told that will have consequences for years to come.

4 hours ago, maddog said:

How is it dangerous to not worry? Are you implying worrying is good? Does it validate one’s moral compass if they’re worrying a lot? 

I would say it’s more dangerous to one’s mental health to worry about things they can’t effect. I’m trying to look after myself/family/wider public by following government advice, and trying to stay positive in dark times. Am I dangerous? 

41 minutes ago, League one forever said:

How is it dangerous to not worry? Are you implying worrying is good? Does it validate one’s moral compass if they’re worrying a lot? 

I would say it’s more dangerous to one’s mental health to worry about things they can’t effect. I’m trying to look after myself/family/wider public by following government advice, and trying to stay positive in dark times. Am I dangerous? 

It's not worrying in itself. It's people who don't think there's anything to worry about and so ignore government advice. Their actions will result in unnecessary deaths, so very fucking dangerous. 

Saw a video (think it came from channel 4 news) which highlighted how completely not like flu this virus is.  Apparently if someone has flu they give it to 1.3 or 1.4 people on average. Then if those 1.3 people give it to 1.3 people, and so on, by the 10th stage the initial person is responsible for 14 new cases.

This virus is much more contagious and you're apparently likely to give it to 3 people.  If they give it to 3, and they each give it to 3 and so on, by the 10th stage the initial person is responsible for 59,000 new cases.

Staggering numbers.  Stay inside where possible.

52 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Saw a video (think it came from channel 4 news) which highlighted how completely not like flu this virus is.  Apparently if someone has flu they give it to 1.3 or 1.4 people on average. Then if those 1.3 people give it to 1.3 people, and so on, by the 10th stage the initial person is responsible for 14 new cases.

This virus is much more contagious and you're apparently likely to give it to 3 people.  If they give it to 3, and they each give it to 3 and so on, by the 10th stage the initial person is responsible for 59,000 new cases.

Staggering numbers.  Stay inside where possible.

Was it this one? 

It will be interesting to see if the presenter resumes his licence to practise, if able, given the current drive. 

Archived