Official COVID-19 megathread

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought I would do this for a couple of reasons, the main one being the Dino Departure Watch thread can resume it's normal banter and the second being that we will have a point of reference to look back on...hopefully that means all of us....and remember the madness. There may be Latics fans of the future asking us old ones "What was it like during the Coronavirus pandemic?"

Having witnessed the staggering clips of some [lots of] people totally flouting the safety advice and turning popular tourist destinations into scenes from a bank holiday, I think a total lockdown may be upon us before we know it. Will that mean the police or even the armed forces patrolling the streets...who knows? As long as the moronic masses are kept under control, do we really care?

Anyway, we really should continue our bickering in here, under one roof and preserved for posterity.

I decided to close my small little catering trailer at BP last Friday, just before the Government announced cafes, bars etc should close. 

I could not justify buying stock in to make a wage, when people where in the same shops looking at buying supplies to keep their families fed. It just did not sit right.

Day before I lost my casual job at a youth centre as they decided to close for the time being....so no work.

But, I am alive, my family, friends and neighbours are too.....and that you cannot purchase.

Hoping everyone else is safe and well on here and don' t forget...its good to talk even if it is not footy related.....get typing

On my 6th day of isolation after picking up symptoms last week. Had the fever first then a cough, last few days have been breathing difficulties and having asthma been a weird one, only 22 and woken up in much better shape today so hopefully on the mend. 

It’s scary what this could potentially do to society and the economy, but we will get over and through it. This board will be a great help for lots over the next month to keep us busy and in contact. 

25 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

On my 6th day of isolation after picking up symptoms last week. Had the fever first then a cough, last few days have been breathing difficulties and having asthma been a weird one, only 22 and woken up in much better shape today so hopefully on the mend. 

It’s scary what this could potentially do to society and the economy, but we will get over and through it. This board will be a great help for lots over the next month to keep us busy and in contact. 

glad you are on the mend. Hubby has just told me that the step monster is showing symptoms. he lives with his mum in Cheshire and he is 21

36 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Good to hear you appear to be on the mend pal, are your nearest & dearest ok?     

1 hour ago, Wardie said:

Interesting and possibly hopeful article...

Johns Hopkins Article

That sounds good news indeed.

This morning a British scientist working in a lab in the US, said that they had a vaccine ready to go on trial next month. They fully expect the trials to be successful and will be able to roll it out by the end of December. That's sooner than most others have said. 

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

Glad you appear to be on the mend.

My last day at work, just helping close up.

A couple of people have to go in and look after things, otherwise all out

Just developing a daily plan, as a submarine guy thinks that is the key to not going stir crazy. It does give me some opportunities career wise, so I am really focussing on that.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1241134014725066754.html

2 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

I think your age and strength has certainly helped you which is brilliant. 
I hope it all clears up as soon as possible.

1 hour ago, singe said:

Just developing a daily plan, as a submarine guy thinks that is the key to not going stir crazy. It does give me some opportunities career wise, so I am really focussing on that.

Just read it and it sounds like a good plan to me.
Definitely going to give it a go...I suppose he couldn't go out for a walk though. :D

I know kids will be kids, but having just taken the dog out for a quick walk I noticed gangs of kids just hanging around on street corners, I don't think some parents are getting this, ah well as long as they are not disturbing them as they watch the telly who gives a fuck. 

3 hours ago, unsworth blue said:

Good to hear you appear to be on the mend pal, are your nearest & dearest ok?     

Luckily I live on my own whilst at University. So all good thanks. 

1 hour ago, Wardie said:

I think your age and strength has certainly helped you which is brilliant. 
I hope it all clears up as soon as possible.

3 hours ago, singe said:

Thanks means a lot. Looking forward for this to be all over and getting back to Oldham driving us all mental. 

58 minutes ago, disjointed said:

I know kids will be kids, but having just taken the dog out for a quick walk I noticed gangs of kids just hanging around on street corners, I don't think some parents are getting this, ah well as long as they are not disturbing them as they watch the telly who gives a fuck. 

Don't quite know what to make of Johnson's address to the nation. The undertones were stern but not threatening, with the police being given limited powers to act upon anyone they perceive to be flouting the guidelines. Belgium, I believe, are using drones to keep an eye on proceedings, which is something I can see happening in the major cities in the UK. Next step will be the armed forces or armed police, no doubt.

As I am on a 12 week isolation, my wife will hopefully be able to access the local store during their protected opening times, as she is front line. Both daughters are remote from me but able to work from home and isolating with online shopping and their natural flair for social media.

It really is essential to have some kind of structure and regime...how long it is doable though, is anybody's guess. My wife is a great believer in accepting a situation, running with it and not to dwell on "what ifs". There will be an end to it and I want to be there when it does.

17 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Sincerely hope you get better soon. Stay safe.

12 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Sadly, my best friend David Farrall, a Latics supporter for 70 years has just passed away.

Condolences, BP.  70 years is a massive lifetime of support, he must have seen some comings and goings at the club, which kind of sheds a little perspective on the current situation with our errant owner and how transient these things really are.

May I ask [although you don't need to answer] was his passing due to effects of the outbreak?

On 3/22/2020 at 11:31 PM, nzlatic said:

Saw a video (think it came from channel 4 news) which highlighted how completely not like flu this virus is.  Apparently if someone has flu they give it to 1.3 or 1.4 people on average. Then if those 1.3 people give it to 1.3 people, and so on, by the 10th stage the initial person is responsible for 14 new cases.

This virus is much more contagious and you're apparently likely to give it to 3 people.  If they give it to 3, and they each give it to 3 and so on, by the 10th stage the initial person is responsible for 59,000 new cases.

Staggering numbers.  Stay inside where possible.

13 or 14 is significant if this is about science. 13 people is 13.79, but 1.4 people ends up at 29 people (28.9) at the tenth step.

I agree that 3 to the power of ten is 59049.

Just a little thing in scheme of things I suppose - still a massive infection rate, but best to be correct if that's the business you're in.

6 hours ago, Wardie said:

Condolences, BP.  70 years is a massive lifetime of support, he must have seen some comings and goings at the club, which kind of sheds a little perspective on the current situation with our errant owner and how transient these things really are.

May I ask [although you don't need to answer] was his passing due to effects of the outbreak?

We aren't sure yet, but he had emphysema and was on oxygen support.

Yes he's seen it all, I think one of his all time favourites was Denis Irwin.

Archived