Official COVID-19 megathread

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are a key worker be it a plumber, supermarket assistant, ward clerk, delivery driver or anybody else who is vital to this situation - thanks - it's much appreciated. If you are staying in isolating, stay safe. Keep talking to everyone you know - and maybe don't know so well, make sure people who might need help are okay.

If you are able to, the NHS are looking for volunteers:

https://www.goodsamapp.org/NHS

Also there maybe local Mutual Aid in your area that could use your help:

https://covidmutualaid.org/

If you want to help collect data for medical science (King's College, Guy's and St. Thomas' Hospital etc), there's this app:

https://covid.joinzoe.com/

Hmmm.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/high-consequence-infectious-diseases-hcid

Status of COVID-19

As of 19 March 2020, COVID-19 is no longer considered to be a high consequence infectious diseases (HCID) in the UK.

The 4 nations public health HCID group made an interim recommendation in January 2020 to classify COVID-19 as an HCID. This was based on consideration of the UK HCID criteria about the virus and the disease with information available during the early stages of the outbreak. Now that more is known about COVID-19, the public health bodies in the UK have reviewed the most up to date information about COVID-19 against the UK HCID criteria. They have determined that several features have now changed; in particular, more information is available about mortality rates (low overall), and there is now greater clinical awareness and a specific and sensitive laboratory test, the availability of which continues to increase.

The Advisory Committee on Dangerous Pathogens (ACDP) is also of the opinion that COVID-19 should no longer be classified as an HCID.

The need to have a national, coordinated response remains, but this is being met by the government’s COVID-19 response.

Cases of COVID-19 are no longer managed by HCID treatment centres only. All healthcare workers managing possible and confirmed cases should follow the updated national infection and prevention (IPC) guidance for COVID-19, which supersedes all previous IPC guidance for COVID-19. This guidance includes instructions about different personal protective equipment (PPE) ensembles that are appropriate for different clinical scenarios.

1 hour ago, kowenicki said:

Hmmm.

Status of COVID-19

As of 19 March 2020, COVID-19 is no longer considered to be a high consequence infectious diseases (HCID) in the UK.

The 4 nations public health HCID group made an interim recommendation in January 2020 to classify COVID-19 as an HCID. This was based on consideration of the UK HCID criteria about the virus and the disease with information available during the early stages of the outbreak. Now that more is known about COVID-19, the public health bodies in the UK have reviewed the most up to date information about COVID-19 against the UK HCID criteria. They have determined that several features have now changed; in particular, more information is available about mortality rates (low overall), and there is now greater clinical awareness and a specific and sensitive laboratory test, the availability of which continues to increase.

The Advisory Committee on Dangerous Pathogens (ACDP) is also of the opinion that COVID-19 should no longer be classified as an HCID.

The need to have a national, coordinated response remains, but this is being met by the government’s COVID-19 response.

Cases of COVID-19 are no longer managed by HCID treatment centres only. All healthcare workers managing possible and confirmed cases should follow the updated national infection and prevention (IPC) guidance for COVID-19, which supersedes all previous IPC guidance for COVID-19. This guidance includes instructions about different personal protective equipment (PPE) ensembles that are appropriate for different clinical scenarios.

Thanks for posting that Kow.  These things make me spit fire.  that leaflet is so politically influenced!!  The planner so messed up in ordering PPE that they have had egg on their faces, so they produce this garbage document "which supersedes all previous guidance"  just so they can say "see we were right! the floppy masks were Ok after all "

Here we are dealing with a disease where one of the prime symptoms is cough.  medics have been advised that it is to dangerous to examine mouths, as that is where the virus resides and replicates first.  A cough generates 50mph wind and 3000 droplets (Approximately! that is for the pedantics on here).  So is that is not aerosol production of viral particles, then I'm going senile.

The floppy paper masks are designed to stop a surgeon or nurse from coughing bacteria into a patients wound.  They are not designed to protect the medic from an air borne virus .   When the medic breaths in, the leakage around the side is where the small water droplets and virus will be sucked into the medics mouth and nose.  That is the whole reason for the FFP3 masks.  They seal on the skin and air comes in through the filter.  I bought my mask from a building supply merchant.  NHS had none!   You wont get me wearing a floppy mask at the moment

13 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Thanks for posting that Kow.  These things make me spit fire.  that leaflet is so politically influenced!!  The planner so messed up in ordering PPE that they have had egg on their faces, so they produce this garbage document "which supersedes all previous guidance"  just so they can say "see we were right! the floppy masks were Ok after all "

Here we are dealing with a disease where one of the prime symptoms is cough.  medics have been advised that it is to dangerous to examine mouths, as that is where the virus resides and replicates first.  A cough generates 50mph wind and 3000 droplets (Approximately! that is for the pedantics on here).  So is that is not aerosol production of viral particles, then I'm going senile.

The floppy paper masks are designed to stop a surgeon or nurse from coughing bacteria into a patients wound.  They are not designed to protect the medic from an air borne virus .   When the medic breaths in, the leakage around the side is where the small water droplets and virus will be sucked into the medics mouth and nose.  That is the whole reason for the FFP3 masks.  They seal on the skin and air comes in through the filter.  I bought my mask from a building supply merchant.  NHS had none!   You wont get me wearing a floppy mask at the moment

You were saying that the decision to suspend the league was too early less than 2 weeks ago...

It was Jorvik! As it happens it was only a week or so early because the restrictions by the government were brought in soon after that and hence the decision was made for them at that time. Remember we’re we’re still in the confinement phase where hardly anyone should have been exposed.

the reason given was for the safety of the staff and public.  Well the public health  should have been decided by the Chief Medical officer, not the EFL. 

The players are at nearly the lowest risk of any group of the population. So are not at risk.  The restriction brought in since then have been to protect the NHS.  Not a reason offered by the EFL.

56 minutes ago, Pidge said:

The players are at nearly the lowest risk of any group of the population.

It. Was. Nothing. To. Do. With. The. Players.

It wasn't too soon. Also, if it's going to happen, why not do it sooner rather than later?

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/march/efl-statement-coronavirus-update4/

The statement mentions players, I heard several senior football people giving statements at the time, including Mark Palios, saying players health and safety was paramount.

You are criticising the comment I made in the week between the football decision and the government change of advice.  A bit picky Jorvik!  At the time I made the comment it was correct IMO. 

You will have heard the Chief Medical Officer telling you several times that the restriction should be done at the right time to have an effect.  

Fine. I just found it very strange that you were criticising the decision to suspend football matches 1 day and then less than 2 weeks later being over the top about what type of face mask you will and won't wear. People could have spread the disease by coughing back then and large gatherings were a bad idea. I would imagine there would be a lot more cases in the country if they hadn't suspended IMO.

I think the threat of lock down is getting nearer, the young are not adhering to social distancing policy, local kick pitch close to me must have had 20 to 25 older teenagers drinking beer and smoking dope. They really do think they are invincible, policing the latest rules is impossible. 

1 hour ago, jorvik_latic said:

Fine. I just found it very strange that you were criticising the decision to suspend football matches 1 day and then less than 2 weeks later being over the top about what type of face mask you will and won't wear. People could have spread the disease by coughing back then and large gatherings were a bad idea. I would imagine there would be a lot more cases in the country if they hadn't suspended IMO.

So you think I am being over the top about my mask?

If I told you I am putting my mask to the ultimate test, with my personal health at risk, would you think I have the right to my over the top opinion?

1 hour ago, disjointed said:

I think the threat of lock down is getting nearer, the young are not adhering to social distancing policy, local kick pitch close to me must have had 20 to 25 older teenagers drinking beer and smoking dope. They really do think they are invincible, policing the latest rules is impossible. 

Dope? wow man ur proper out there dude

33 minutes ago, Pidge said:

So you think I am being over the top about my mask?

If I told you I am putting my mask to the ultimate test, with my personal health at risk, would you think I have the right to my over the top opinion?

With your health at risk, I’m even more surprised that you disagreed with the responsible decision to suspend the league to restricted the spread of a deadly disease. 

22 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Hmmm.

Status of COVID-19

COVID19 doesn’t fit the criteria for HCID, fact.

That’s not to say it’s not a problem.

I don't understand the HCID status at all.

From the article...

Airborne HCID

Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS)*

Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)
An 
infectious disease caused by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2)
Respiratory droplets may be produced during breathing but it is not considered 
airborne

Conflicting is not being considered airborne yet being told that the droplets are blown out form an infected person, to a range of two metres and can stay in the area for several hours before dying off. I suppose it's saying the virus cannot be spread through breathing and talking. 

Definition of HCID

In the UK, a high consequence infectious disease (HCID) is defined according to the following criteria:

- acute infectious disease

- typically has a high case-fatality rate

- may not have effective prophylaxis or treatment

- often difficult to recognise and detect rapidly

- ability to spread in the community and within healthcare settings

- requires an enhanced individual, population and system response to ensure it is managed effectively, efficiently and safely

To me, the above definitions are relevant to this virus although two and three may be a bit ambiguous at the moment.

2 hours ago, frizzell54 said:

COVID19 doesn’t fit the criteria for HCID, fact.

That’s not to say it’s not a problem.

I know.

I just found it interesting.

We will see how much of a problem it was/is in the fullness of time when numbers are known and can be properly scrutinised.  Some countries are reporting numbers in a VERY different way.

Archived