Virtual Latics 2001/2002

Just seen this on the BBC web site:

Paul Williams: Launched a Champ Man 01/02 game (with the Oct '15 database) to return Oldham Athletic to the Premier League. 2 promotions in the first 3 seasons see me back there with Assombalonga leading the line & N'Zonzi in midfield (of the recognisable names).

It may be time for @BP1960 to move to a director of football role and bring in a younger manager?

34 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Just seen this on the BBC web site:

Paul Williams: Launched a Champ Man 01/02 game (with the Oct '15 database) to return Oldham Athletic to the Premier League. 2 promotions in the first 3 seasons see me back there with Assombalonga leading the line & N'Zonzi in midfield (of the recognisable names).

It may be time for @BP1960 to move to a director of football role and bring in a younger manager?

It can be done with signings from other clubs,  I use Latics squads of the season being played, which is why hardly any progress can be made.

For season 2002/03 I will have to bring in players from outside the club using our  extensive scouting system.

3 hours ago, BP1960 said:

It can be done with signings from other clubs,  I use Latics squads of the season being played, which is why hardly any progress can be made.

I hope you're not relying on sales commission!

3 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Is anyone else just left cold by all this ?

Fair play if you get some vicarious enjoyment from it but can't help feeling it promotes notions that participants can manage ( football ) in real life !

It’s a bit of harmless fun. And if anyone thinks that it has any relevance to real life then they need to get out more... oh... 😐 

Ok, I'll admit I play Football Manager. I'm still playing FM18 (my previous one, FM15 died and never worked again). I got Latics into the Championship in my first season and won the Checkatrade (pfft, who cares) then got sacked when we were relegated back to League 1.

Applied for and got the manager's job at Inverness Caledonian Thistle. I'm top on goal difference, but I'm only up to November 2019. It's harmless fun and passes away the odd hour now and again.

At least it's a bit of a footie fix.

8 hours ago, OldhamSheridan said:

Footie fix? The words are 'Bet365' and 'Belarus Premier League'.

The president of Belarus says Covid19 can be beaten by vodka, saunas and working on tractors, so they continue to play footie.

1 hour ago, al_bro said:

The president of Belarus says Covid19 can be beaten by vodka, saunas and working on tractors, so they continue to play footie.

Vodka? Now you tell me, I've been hitting the malt whisky hoping that would work. 

On 4/9/2020 at 2:51 PM, Bobledgersheart said:

Is anyone else just left cold by all this ?

Fair play if you get some vicarious enjoyment from it but can't help feeling it promotes notions that participants can manage ( football ) in real life !

Absolute rubbish, I play in a world league with players from all over the world, it's a fantasy game to enjoy pure and simple,.

Some people just love to be superior killjoys . 

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Absolute rubbish, I play in a world league with players from all over the world, it's a fantasy game to enjoy pure and simple,.

Some people just love to be superior killjoys . 

I did say if you enjoy it fair play, but you hit the nail on the head with the word "FANTASY".

I could have said "get a life !" but I'm much too polite.🙂

3 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

I did say if you enjoy it fair play, but you hit the nail on the head with the word "FANTASY".

I have a very full life even at the age of 75, despite prostate cancer and caring for a disabled wife  I run 5ks for charity, write Wikipedia profiles, create videos for musicians, enter UK song contests (reached semi finals for the past 3 years), active on social media with many footballers and celebs (who do reply), run a fan website for a singer who has sold over 30 million albums, whom I've met several times. And when football is back I'll take in Latics matches and do some more scouting - club  recently informed of 2  young lads recommended by my Premiership contact. 

Lots more to do though when I have time.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

I have a very full life even at the age of 75, despite prostate cancer and caring for a disabled wife  I run 5ks for charity, write Wikipedia profiles, create videos for musicians, enter UK song contests (reached semi finals for the past 3 years), active on social media with many footballers and celebs (who do reply), run a fan website for a singer who has sold over 30 million albums, whom I've met several times. And when football is back I'll take in Latics matches and do some more scouting - club  recently informed of 2  young lads recommended by my Premiership contact. 

Congrats on all the above but I still don't get fantasy football.

Each to his own I suppose.

On 4/16/2020 at 10:59 AM, Bobledgersheart said:

To be fair, what have we Latics fans got at the moment to keep us going other than fantasies?

Time for a strong run-in to the season's end, BP!

On 4/16/2020 at 2:38 PM, BP1960 said:

Who's the singer BP? Also, any links to the videos and are we talking Eurovision? So many questions...

On 4/25/2020 at 10:22 PM, latics22 said:

Didnt know what to write in, but watching Sunderland till I die. Actually embarrassing they are getting excited for that shite cup 

Agreed. Missus is a Mackem and a fair few of her family went. Said that at the time. Proper starved. 

23 hours ago, latics22 said:

Prob cost them promotion also

Apparently a fair few spent so much on their extravagant weekend away for that trophy that the play-offs weren't financially justifiable. Funny... Although a blessing in hindsight.

Archived