The OWTB food thread

16 minutes ago, TamarBridgeLatic said:

Yep, doesn't sound too good but garden peas work okay to give it sweetness. Not mushy ones anyway.

Shite, is this what the season's come to?

Yep, it's looked up over the last month!

4 hours ago, jorvik_latic said:

My favourite thing to eat EVER is Thai beef salad. Mint, coriander, red onion, chili, few peanuts/cashews. Rare beef and a dressing with lime, fish sauce and palm sugar. Topped with ground roasted rice.

The second hottest thing I ever ate was a pork and chilli salad (yes ok, I really did order a salad) in Koh Samui.  It was delicious although I thought I was going to die afterwards. I actually wished I had died when I shat the thing out the following morning.

Hottest thing was a Phall at The Himalayan in Oldham many years ago.  I could literally feel it burning inside me two hours later so I made myself sick and I swear that steam rose when it hit the water in the bog!

Enjoy your recipes everyone 🙈🙈🙈

Favourite food/bars/restaurants here and around the world?

I'll start... 😂

Oasis in Adeje Village, Tenerife.

Known as the Chicken Shack....

Simple, basic little place..

Garlicky, GARLICKY, slightly spicy Adeje Chicken from a secret family recipe served with possibly the best chips in the world and an oily, seasalty salad of slices of beef tomatoes, lettuce and incredible mild white onions ....

All about a fiver each last time I went...

No menu, they just ask how many people for. Home made, organic red or white wine served in old fashioned milk style bottles ....

w67NEXp.jpg

OZXUhHT.jpg

Partner’s family have an apartment in Andalucía right on border with Portugal, and over the years we’ve been going there together, we’ve always stopped for a few nights in a couple of places on the Algarve en route to Spain, as we fly into Faro.

As a result, have spent a lot of time in a gorgeous little town on the Algarve called Tavira and there’s one place where I go every year that does the most amazing grilled chicken piri piri. If you’ve spent a bit of time in Portugal or Spain, you’ll know the type of place - proper unassuming little canteen-style restaurant on a square away from the main strip by one of the many gorgeous little churches, chaotic mustachioed owner scrambling around doing everything from cooking food to waiting on the 8 or so tables, football blaring on TV in corner on full blast.. and it’s all the more amazing for it!

As owner has limited space, he’s incorporated the grill into the main window of the restaurant, so you can’t walk by without admiring his mastery of the grill and drooling. Takes a while for the chicken to come, but it’s bloody worth the wait – comes with salad (meh), mound of home made chips and his home made piri piri oil (and that’s what it is, an oil, not the luminous, gloopy shit you get at Nandos!), wash it down with some vinho verde… so simple but sensational. Booked to stay in Tavira for a couple of nights again in August, but who knows if we’ll get our fix this year as it currently stands!

That and any bar anywhere in the Basque country where you can just gorge on various pintxos with a cold beer and jump into the next one to repeat, the tortilla up there is up there with best I’ve ever had, including my Gran’s (I’m half Spanish as mum is from Cádiz) although I’d never tell her that 😂.

3 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

I'll start... 😂

Garlicky, GARLICKY, slightly spicy Adeje Chicken from a secret family recipe served with possibly the best chips in the world and an oily, seasalty salad of slices of beef tomatoes, lettuce and incredible mild white onions ....

No menu, they just ask how many people for. Home made, organic red or white wine served in old fashioned milk style bottles ....

w67NEXp.jpg

OZXUhHT.jpg

Loved this place when I lived there, agree with this one! 

DY Sizzling Hot Pot - Sydney

Found this place near my hotel after the red eye flight across from Perth - zero sleep, and a day spent walking around Sydney meant I was ravenous. Fuck me did this hit the spot. Cheap as well, for Sydney anyway.

Untitled.jpg

9 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

I'll start... 😂

w67NEXp.jpg

OZXUhHT.jpg

I've never been but it's making my mouth water!

On 4/2/2020 at 12:34 PM, JohnnyPimp said:

Try cheese dip.

Cover thin slices of cheddar with milk in a frying pan and heat gently until the cheese has melted. Delicious mopped up with buttered, white bread.

When the cheese has melted drop an egg in and baste it with the milk/cheese. Then dip your bread in the egg in addition to using it to mop up the mixture.

On 4/3/2020 at 4:14 PM, HarryBosch said:

Following on from the Chilli debate in the other thread.....

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/may/12/cook-perfect-chilli-con-carne

I've got a hotchpotch of the first two variations on the go as we speak.....

Stay tuned.... :grin:

This was very good and is being made again as soon as supplies need replenishing.....

Served with Patatas Bravas (yeah I know :lol: ), guacamole and Pico de Gallo

7H29YwG.jpg

mbAWZnL.jpg

WUJuEoG.jpg

,Right ....... I beg you to try this...... ingredients 1 tin of tuna, half a tin of cold baked beans, a good handful of grated cheese and salad creme all mixed in a bowl topped with halved cherry tomatoes and served on lightly buttered crackers .... it is delicious. 

On 4/3/2020 at 11:52 AM, HarryBosch said:

Mine's Taberna Tipica El Pozo in Torre Del Mar. You can find it on Google here: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Taberna+Típica+El+Pozo/@36.7386424,-4.0928183,16z/data=!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0xd72387ea8d3def7:0x9705cfdef8634ae1!2sTorre+del+Mar,+Málaga,+Spain!3b1!8m2!3d36.7441242!4d-4.0975579!3m4!1s0x0:0x5e50252344a1e70c!8m2!3d36.7373688!4d-4.0950814

It's quite a touristy town with loads of restaurants. But it's the only one there I've seen nearly full out of season. It's a big hit with local spaniards who holiday there.

Had a few different dishes from them, but I keep returning to their Oxtail stew. Two or three fist-sized lumps of oxtail, cooked slowly all day in a rich gravy that I've attempted so many times to replicate but just don't get close. Usually served with chips (they're almost the best I've had too) and sauteed vegetables. Big basket of fresh bread to mop up that gravy. Never need more than one course.

Another of my favourites is right here in Oldham. Santos on Union Street. Their Kobida dinners (Turkish Kofta style meats cooked in their charcoal oven). Get a Chicken / Kobida with brown rice and a couple of flat breads and a spread from the hummus / olives / lebanese salad bar for about £12. Feeds two, easily.

3 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Another of my favourites is right here in Oldham. Santos on Union Street. Their Kobida dinners (Turkish Kofta style meats cooked in their charcoal oven). Get a Chicken / Kobida with brown rice and a couple of flat breads and a spread from the hummus / olives / lebanese salad bar for about £12. Feeds two, easily.

I remember seeing that place getting smashed up during the weeks running up to the Oldham riots.   Food looks good now though.

Archived