Since lockdown

Since the 2019/20 season was halted and football and most other activities have gone into lockdown, I have got to say I am totally nonplussed about the resumption of the season if it happens in May or June.

As an avid supporter of 50 years + I feel morally wrong for feeling this way, maybe it's because I was feeling it was maybe going to be the "longest season ever" - well it felt like it at times but it will definitely will be if it resumes.  

I can't remember who we should have been playing since lockdown (other than Col U on Easter Monday for some reason).

I hope I can drum up much more enthusiasm for when we come out of lockdown, even if its just a resumption of fixtures behind closed doors for the forseeable future.  Normally I would be climbing walls waiting for the football to resume but I just don't feel it at the moment. 

What does everyone else feel?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

Since the 2019/20 season was halted and football and most other activities have gone into lockdown, I have got to say I am totally nonplussed about the resumption of the season if it happens in May or June.

As an avid supporter of 50 years + I feel morally wrong for feeling this way, maybe it's because I was feeling it was maybe going to be the "longest season ever" - well it felt like it at times but it will definitely will be if it resumes.  

I can't remember who we should have been playing since lockdown (other than Col U on Easter Monday for some reason).

I hope I can drum up much more enthusiasm for when we come out of lockdown, even if its just a resumption of fixtures behind closed doors for the forseeable future.  Normally I would be climbing walls waiting for the football to resume but I just don't feel it at the moment. 

What does everyone else feel?

I think you've probably got yourself into a "there's fuck all I can do about it" mindset with regards to this and everything else.

I have. I can't go to the pub, a restaurant, the gym, Latics or on holiday which are pretty much the only things I really do sad bastard that I am :lol:

And there's fuck all I can do about it so I don't worry/think about it. 

Similar to when I used to smoke and the only time not being able to didn't bother me was on a plane because I knew that I just couldn't.

4 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I think you've probably got yourself into a "there's fuck all I can do about it" mindset with regards to this and everything else.

I have. I can't go to the pub, a restaurant, the gym, Latics or on holiday which are pretty much the only things I really do sad bastard that I am :lol:

And there's fuck all I can do about it so I don't worry/think about it. 

Similar to when I used to smoke and the only time not being able to didn't bother me was on a plane because I knew that I just couldn't.

I am actually trying to write my memories of Latics from 1970 and am finding I can remember the late 70s much better than this season sadly, even down to who I travelled to games with and funny stories. I can't even recall who we have played this season yet, let alone whether I went (I go all home games so its only the aways to consider). I am also logging all my OAFC memorabilia (not that much anymore) as there was a drive for collective responsibility for maintaining community heritage and I am doing my part.

I just can't get into the footballing aspects of the season at the moment, probably due to the fact that there are so many more important things to consider like people dying due to some awful virus that we haven't got a cure for as yet..... just feeling guilty that I am not missing Latics as such,,,,    

4 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

I am actually trying to write my memories of Latics from 1970 and am finding I can remember the late 70s much better than this season sadly,   

I'm the same with the glory years. Even the years at the start of what we didn't realise was our ultimate demise :lol:

Ask me about some obscure Tuesday night southern away game 1988-91 and I'll give you fine detail, ask me who we played two months ago and what happened I won't have a clue, even if I was there :lol: 

I’m a Latics fan of 60 years but nearing the point of no return as during the last few weeks my appetite for all things Latics and football in general has all but evaporated. 

I never thought it possible but I’m simply not missing it at all!

These are unprecedented times but for me to become ‘reattached’ there will have to be a real big change at BP.

If we continue as we were with the same owner and the same management, as seems likely, I just cannot see myself returning anytime soon.

For me the present status quo seems like a make or break situation...I’m not convinced the club can survive under the current regime.

Bearing in mind that the club was on a financial knife edge before CORVID struck, l truly cannot see the club being around once we are out of it.  Those in the know seem to be suggesting that at least 10/12/15 clubs  in the bottom two divisions will go to the wall  -  and can you see us not being one of them !

Days/weeks are passing but we have had.....

Joe Royle's birthday

Ian Stott, sadly passing away and losing others of our latics family members too

30th anniversary of the our FA cup semi final marches against Manure (re-runs this Sat on the BBC)

31st anniversary today of Hillsborough......it could have been any fans at any club at that time....so thankful it was not us.

Stay alive folks.....we will get through this 

23 hours ago, unsworth blue said:

Football wont ever feel the same again for a lot of fans after the behaviour of some clubs in the way they have dealt with their non playing staff

Liverpool, Spurs and Newcastle choosing to furlough their non playing staff was frankly disgusting.

Wolves on the other hand have been exemplary announcing early doors that they would not be furloughing their staff

Don't have any issues with the likes of Latics choosing to furlough staff because without doing so we would very likely be out of business

What the lockdown has proven without a shadow of doubt, is how both financially and morally bankrupt football has become

"Football without Fans is Nothing"

"Football without TV money is f*%ked"

2 hours ago, parigby said:

Bearing in mind that the club was on a financial knife edge before CORVID struck, l truly cannot see the club being around once we are out of it.  Those in the know seem to be suggesting that at least 10/12/15 clubs  in the bottom two divisions will go to the wall  -  and can you see us not being one of them !

Eh?

38 minutes ago, tGWB said:

Football wont ever feel the same again for a lot of fans after the behaviour of some clubs in the way they have dealt with their non playing staff

Liverpool, Spurs and Newcastle choosing to furlough their non playing staff was frankly disgusting.

Wolves on the other hand have been exemplary announcing early doors that they would not be furloughing their staff

Don't have any issues with the likes of Latics choosing to furlough staff because without doing so we would very likely be out of business

What the lockdown has proven without a shadow of doubt, is how both financially and morally bankrupt football has become

"Football without Fans is Nothing"

"Football without TV money is f*%ked"

I'm not falling out of love with my club cos some cockneys were nasty. Fuck that. Lets get the pointless or cruel, rich people bullshit like F1 and horse racing fucked off first.

F1 eh? Jeeeez. Should be banned on climate change grounds alone, nevermind all the other morally bankrupt stuff it props up.

It is crazy, but not in the least bit surprising, that clubs (and other wealthy businesses) live hand to mouth with no money to survive when there has been so many billions pumped in since Premier League formation. Obviously I am not talking about our struggles (or smaller business), but in future there should be a buffer fund created by FA & FL to cover this for all clubs. Of course, being self serving the members (clubs) won't agree.

3 minutes ago, singe said:

It is crazy, but not in the least bit surprising, that clubs (and other wealthy businesses) live hand to mouth with no money to survive when there has been so many billions pumped in since Premier League formation. Obviously I am not talking about our struggles (or smaller business), but in future there should be a buffer fund created by FA & FL to cover this for all clubs. Of course, being self serving the members (clubs) won't agree.

They'd only spend it.

25 minutes ago, singe said:

When Clubs are paying in excess of a £1 in wages for every £1 of revenue they earn, their finances will continue to be dire

Football as a whole, UEFA, the Premier League, Bundesliga, La Liga, Serie A the EFL etc need to agree a maximum wage cap unilaterally of c50%/60% of club revenues.

They wont of course because the football authorities aren't bothered at all about the long term stability of any specific football club or the fans as long as the tv money keeps pouring in to football

The likes of Sky and BT are even more aware now of the stranglehold they have on football and if they have any sense at all, with that knowledge, they will negotiate the next tv deals for far less than the current costs of c£4.2billion

Its almost certainly nailed on to happen . . . . . . . . . . . .

34 minutes ago, tGWB said:

When Clubs are paying in excess of a £1 in wages for every £1 of revenue they earn, their finances will continue to be dire

Football as a whole, UEFA, the Premier League, Bundesliga, La Liga, Serie A the EFL etc need to agree a maximum wage cap unilaterally of c50%/60% of club revenues.

They wont of course because the football authorities aren't bothered at all about the long term stability of any specific football club or the fans as long as the tv money keeps pouring in to football

The likes of Sky and BT are even more aware now of the stranglehold they have on football and if they have any sense at all, with that knowledge, they will negotiate the next tv deals for far less than the current costs of c£4.2billion

Its almost certainly nailed on to happen . . . . . . . . . . . .

The TV companies won't go in with lower bids for fear of being suckered. The only way they will go lower is when people say fuck you and stop subscribing (ain't going to happen). Football is fucked in the lower divisions because of the likes of Sky. 

1 hour ago, singe said:

Clubs would then just live in the buffer zone so that won't work.

5 minutes ago, disjointed said:

The TV companies won't go in with lower bids for fear of being suckered. The only way they will go lower is when people say fuck you and stop subscribing (ain't going to happen). Football is fucked in the lower divisions because of the likes of Sky. 

I dont agree disjointed

Both Sky and BT are commercially driven organisations and will most definitely look to secure ‘the same for less’.

The last deal for up to the 2022 season was c£4.5b with the previous deal agreed in 2015 up to 2019 costing c£5.1b

The trend is already downwards 

Football in the lower leagues is f*#ked due in the main to the standard of football not attracting enough fans through the turnstiles to pay for the wages the players expect to be paid 

18 minutes ago, tGWB said:

I dont agree disjointed

Both Sky and BT are commercially driven organisations and will most definitely look to secure ‘the same for less’.

The last deal for up to the 2022 season was c£4.5b with the previous deal agreed in 2015 up to 2019 costing c£5.1b

The trend is already downwards 

Football in the lower leagues is f*#ked due in the main to the standard of football not attracting enough fans through the turnstiles to pay for the wages the players expect to be paid 

Have I read that right are you saying a 4 year deal of 5.1Billion is better than a 4.5B deal over 3 years? Per year it is better.

Not only that but the way television has changed in recent times I think come 2022 when things will be very different you will see other competitors getting involved the likes of Amazon and Netflix will want a piece because the PL sells globally even social media giants such as YouTube and Facebook might want in on the action they have the technology and reach to make it happen and worth their while. The demand for football on tv isn't changing anytime soon as a result it will keep attracting advertisers. The PL themselves could create a streaming channel.

As for the lower leagues well the threat of many going to the wall is very real. However we have heard this threat being muted before and many football clubs have survived, therefore I don't envisage 10-15 clubs going to the wall however we may well see a couple go into admin and we might even lose one

But I still be believe 12 months from now we will have 92 full time clubs in England most of which will be on the edge of going bust like they always have.

11 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Have I read that right are you saying a 4 year deal of 5.1Billion is better than a 4.5B deal over 3 years? Per year it is better.

Not only that but the way television has changed in recent times I think come 2022 when things will be very different you will see other competitors getting involved the likes of Amazon and Netflix will want a piece because the PL sells globally even social media giants such as YouTube and Facebook might want in on the action they have the technology and reach to make it happen and worth their while. The demand for football on tv isn't changing anytime soon as a result it will keep attracting advertisers. The PL themselves could create a streaming channel.

As for the lower leagues well the threat of many going to the wall is very real. However we have heard this threat being muted before and many football clubs have survived, therefore I don't envisage 10-15 clubs going to the wall however we may well see a couple go into admin and we might even lose one

But I still be believe 12 months from now we will have 92 full time clubs in England most of which will be on the edge of going bust like they always have.

Fair post

Interested to know your opinion on if you think the monies currently coming in to the EFL Clubs from tv will increase v current amounts 

19 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I think come 2022 when things will be very different you will see other competitors getting involved the likes of Amazon and Netflix will want a piece because the PL sells globally even social media giants such as YouTube and Facebook might want in on the action they have the technology and reach to make it happen and worth their while

Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos donates $100 million (*) to Food Banks to help those affected by Coronavirus in the USA. 

Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos sees his personal wealth increase by $24 billion as Amazon share value soars to a new high due to increased demand as result of Coronavirus. 🤔

If the likes of Amazon want a peace of the action, the price will only increase and they can easily afford it.

(*) Twitter boss Jack Dorsey has donated $1 billion of his personal fortune to help with the Coronavirus fight.

8 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos donates $100 million (*) to Food Banks to help those affected by Coronavirus in the USA. 

Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos sees his personal wealth increase by $24 billion as Amazon share value soars to a new high due to increased demand as result of Coronavirus. 🤔

If the likes of Amazon want a peace of the action, the price will only increase and they can easily afford it.

(*) Twitter boss Jack Dorsey has donated $1 billion of his personal fortune to help with the Coronavirus fight.

Interested to know your opinion on if you think the monies currently coming in to the EFL Clubs from tv will increase v current amounts 

Archived