Since lockdown

Germany is starting to open stuff back up and Denmark never closed. A certain number of our population haven't stopped working, so l don't see why Footballers going back to work should be vaccine related. Matches played behind closed doors, obviously.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Germany is starting to open stuff back up and Denmark never closed. A certain number of our population haven't stopped working, so l don't see why Footballers going back to work should be vaccine related. Matches played behind closed doors, obviously.

This for me too.

51 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Hard to keep social distancing up on a football pitch. 

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

Or on busy public transport or small staff rooms, warehouses etc. Don't be kidding yourself theyve got acres of space back there in tesco 😂

True. But I’d argue keeping the nation fed is a bit more important than playing football. 

22 hours ago, nzlatic said:

True. But I’d argue keeping the nation fed is a bit more important than playing football. 

In which case l'd suggest finding somebody who disagrees, this convo isn't about that, it's about people potentially going back to work. Late June seems to be the plan atm.

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

In which case l'd suggest finding somebody who disagrees, this convo isn't about that, it's about people potentially going back to work. Late June seems to be the plan atm.

It's not about people going back to work, it's about football matches starting again.  Without a comprehensive and rigorous testing regime I don't personally see how that can be done without putting people at risk.  Maybe that will be in place by the end of June.

But added to that, you've got the issue about whether or not clubs can afford to do it.  Matches behind closed doors could kill clubs off as they'll have almost all the normal costs but a fraction of the revenue.

Then you started comparing playing football with people sitting close to each other in staff rooms or something and I'm not sure how to respond to that.

On 22 April 2020 at 10:55 AM, nzlatic said:

It's not about people going back to work, it's about football matches starting again.  Without a comprehensive and rigorous testing regime I don't personally see how that can be done without putting people at risk.  Maybe that will be in place by the end of June.

But added to that, you've got the issue about whether or not clubs can afford to do it.  Matches behind closed doors could kill clubs off as they'll have almost all the normal costs but a fraction of the revenue.

Then you started comparing playing football with people sitting close to each other in staff rooms or something and I'm not sure how to respond to that.

Fine. If you can't understand that Football will start again soon, with no vaccine in sight. Then you can't understand it. Jus tried to dumb it down abit for you that's all. Good luck.

3 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Fine. If you can't understand that Football will start again soon, with no vaccine in sight. Then you can't understand it. Jus tried to dumb it down abit for you that's all. Good luck.

I presume we must be talking about totally different things then given I’ve not said anything about waiting for a vaccine. I don’t doubt football will start without a vaccine. 

I’m saying it shouldn’t start without a comprehensive testing system in place. And it should happen as part of an overall easing of ‘lockdown’ restrictions over the next few months. There’s no 100% fair way of concluding this season but so much of it has passed I’d finish it using some sort of algorithm or pools panel to decide the remaining league games. Scrap the play offs and have standard promotion and relegation. Then start next season when its safe to do so.

On 4/24/2020 at 2:28 PM, Worcester Owl said:

Not if the ditchwater also known as Carlsberg is anything to go by!

Git to love their latest advert; We've been pushing utter shite on you for years but here's some new shite

There is no fair way of not completing this season - the matches have to be played even if that has to be behind closed doors.

What would be nonsense is to start next season before completing this one when we will not be going to football matches, mass gatherings, in August until who knows when.

So whenever play can restart the first priority is to finish this season.  Then having done that organise a truncated season for 20/21 and let everyone know what it is before we start so there can be no complaints.

Finally the testing argument is a diversion, a journalistic thing to criticise our government who have so far met their targets of 10,000 by the end of March and who I expect will meet the target of 100,000 by 30th  April.

What is the point of testing all the players and staff when one or more of them could catch the virus before the test results are even known.  The most useful piece of information would be an analysis of the deaths attributed to Covid-19 by age, existence of underlying health condition(s), sex and ethnic group so that we all know the risks associated with where we would fit in.  At 68 with underlying health conditions I would not like where I would sit although after three weeks I've just recovered from the nastiest virus I have ever had which I'm convinced was Covid-19.  The risk for healthy professional footballers would I think make them wonder what all the fuss is about.

3 hours ago, Hands on said:

There is no fair way of not completing this season - the matches have to be played even if that has to be behind closed doors.

What would be nonsense is to start next season before completing this one when we will not be going to football matches, mass gatherings, in August until who knows when.

So whenever play can restart the first priority is to finish this season.  Then having done that organise a truncated season for 20/21 and let everyone know what it is before we start so there can be no complaints.

Finally the testing argument is a diversion, a journalistic thing to criticise our government who have so far met their targets of 10,000 by the end of March and who I expect will meet the target of 100,000 by 30th  April.

What is the point of testing all the players and staff when one or more of them could catch the virus before the test results are even known.  The most useful piece of information would be an analysis of the deaths attributed to Covid-19 by age, existence of underlying health condition(s), sex and ethnic group so that we all know the risks associated with where we would fit in.  At 68 with underlying health conditions I would not like where I would sit although after three weeks I've just recovered from the nastiest virus I have ever had which I'm convinced was Covid-19.  The risk for healthy professional footballers would I think make them wonder what all the fuss is about.

Glad to hear you are fit again 

I can't see League 1 or 2 recommencing this season at all and cannot see spectator sport happening until very late in 2020 if at all.

From a Latics perspective, I really have my doubts that we will make it as a club to 2020/21 - no insider knowledge, just that any issues that were there before pandemic closure are still there as far as I am aware and many others have emerged.    

3 hours ago, Hands on said:

It seems like constant bad news at the moment, so it's fantastic to hear of your recovery.

Testing can mean a lot of things, it depends what you're testing for and how accurate it is.  But one thing for sure is that for society to even start to get back to some sort of working order, there has to be a huge increase in all forms of testing.  We need to know who has it now, who has had it previously and recovered etc.  Hopefully that will all be in place.  Boris Johnson talked of needing to test 250,000 per day about 6 weeks ago.  This has been forgotten about really and the new target was set. We're 2 days away from that deadline for 100,000 tests per day but are currently under 30,000 I think.  I'm very sceptical it'll be achieved, but fingers crossed we get there.

There are so many issues regarding finishing this season as soon as safe to do so.  Does that mean behind closed doors? That has huge financial implications. What about players out of contract at end of June - some clubs will most likely be banking on getting players off their books. But would that player then just be unemployed until the new season started, whenever that'd be? Or would the current club be forced to continue paying them after June 30?  It's an absolute nightmare that doesn't have a simple or totally fair solution - because we have no idea when things can start again.

Also, I disagree with the healthy footballers thing.  What if players have a vulnerable family member such as a child with pre-existing conditions.  Its not fair to ask them to play and put familiy at risk or self isolate indefinitely, or to not play.  Would they get paid? Would that player's club think it's fair that he should have to make that choice? 

I still think the best thing to do would be to find a way to finish this season now without playing any more games in the fairest way possible, draw a line under it, then start next season when safe to do so. But I think it's safe to say that most will have different opinions on this because there doesn't seem like there's any solution that is fair to all!

4 hours ago, Hands on said:

44 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

It seems like constant bad news at the moment, so it's fantastic to hear of your recovery.

Testing can mean a lot of things, it depends what you're testing for and how accurate it is.  But one thing for sure is that for society to even start to get back to some sort of working order, there has to be a huge increase in all forms of testing.  We need to know who has it now, who has had it previously and recovered etc.  Hopefully that will all be in place.  Boris Johnson talked of needing to test 250,000 per day about 6 weeks ago.  This has been forgotten about really and the new target was set. We're 2 days away from that deadline for 100,000 tests per day but are currently under 30,000 I think.  I'm very sceptical it'll be achieved, but fingers crossed we get there.

Just over 43,000 tests done yesterday so a long way from The Govt's target, taken from Hancocks half hour today.

As it has been since this started.

Archived