OAFC 125 year plans for celebrations

It's sad really. I'm 31 this month and all supporters my age have known is the '30 years of hurt' the video mentions. What happens when I'm part of the older generation and there's no one left who remembers a time when we were anything other than an average to poor lower league club? I genuinley think that by the time I'm 50, we either wont exist or will be an established non league club. There would have to be a large change in our finances or football in general to prevent that as far as I can see. 

Apologies for the miserable take on what should be a celebration. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, BJBlue said:

It's sad really. I'm 31 this month and all supporters my age have known is the '30 years of hurt' the video mentions. What happens when I'm part of the older generation and there's no one left who remembers a time when we were anything other than an average to poor lower league club? I genuinley think that by the time I'm 50, we either wont exist or will be an established non league club. There would have to be a large change in our finances or football in general to prevent that as far as I can see. 

Apologies for the miserable take on what should be a celebration. 

Exactly.  This shirt announcement is just the epitome of the decline.

Opportunity to grab the fanbase and missed.  Lemsagam should have signed a decent, promising, ambitious player and released the shirt with that signing wearing it.  Message of “next season will be our season!”

Granted STs are down, club in debt but the current position of this club is his doing along with his fuckwit of a brother.  They owe it to every fan of this club to turn the tide around 

Trying to remember how the poll was conducted? Website and social media? How many people would that have reached? Probably heavily weighted to young people who’ve been singing about blue and tangerine for the last few years. It didn’t need a poll, it needed the kit to be whatever our colours were in the season we’re commemorating. 

6 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Trying to remember how the poll was conducted? Website and social media? How many people would that have reached? Probably heavily weighted to young people who’ve been singing about blue and tangerine for the last few years. It didn’t need a poll, it needed the kit to be whatever our colours were in the season we’re commemorating. 

Agreed. Parallel with Brexit; a referendum was ridiculous, just make a decision. It's the abrogation of leadership. 

9 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Agreed. Parallel with Brexit; a referendum was ridiculous, just make a decision. It's the abrogation of leadership. 

The real issue with the Brexit referendum was making it a simple majority decision based on those who voted.

For such a historic referendum, I would have deemed that all who were eligible to vote but did not ,and any spoiled ballots, were counted as a vote for Remain.

This would have given the following totals:

Leave - 17,410,742

Remain - 29,090,499. (16,141,241 + 12,923,225 + 26,033)

Sorted 😉

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

The real issue with the Brexit referendum was making it a simple majority decision based on those who voted.

For such a historic referendum, I would have deemed that all who were eligible to vote but did not ,and any spoiled ballots, were counted as a vote for Remain.

Leave - 17,410,742

Sorted 😉

And how would that determine the style and colour of the 125 years celebration kit ?

31 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

And how would that determine the style and colour of the 125 years celebration kit ?

Well obviously if we were not leaving we would have been able to apply for an EU grant to carry out a proper survey to gauge fans opinion. 😀

18 hours ago, nzlatic said:

I tend to agree with you regarding what the colours should have been but to be fair to them they at least tried to put it out to the fans. If they had gone ahead and made a decision without any consultation then they would have been accused of arrogance, and rightly so. Damned if they do and damned if they don’t I suppose, but the supporters were offered choices and this is the result. I personally think both new shirts look good.

9 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Leave - 17,410,742

Sorted 😉

If you take the same argument for general elections and say people who don't vote don't want any party or candidate, then we wouldn't have a Parliament, never mind a Government.

The kits are just another in a long line of missed opportunities by oafc. This year is massive for the club for many reasons. The morale of fans, imo, is at the absolute lowest. St sales are down (for the first time in 30 years im not renewing), fans are divided, club has serious financial issues and the relationship between the fans and the ownership is toxic. To me the kit launch is just Lemsagam failing to deliver anything of quality yet again. Worrying times at oafc

1 hour ago, al_bro said:

If you take the same argument for general elections and say people who don't vote don't want any party or candidate, then we wouldn't have a Parliament, never mind a Government.

Worth a try 

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

Not sure how Brexit can be compared to the kit launch its abit of an odd comparison :mmm:

It wasn't entirely serious but neither a referendum nor a fans' kit vote should have happened for me. 

To get back on topic the latter was always going to be affected by recency and personal favourite bias, neither of which could possibly relate to the actual event being commemorated. 

12 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

It wasn't entirely serious but neither a referendum nor a fans' kit vote should have happened for me. 

To get back on topic the latter was always going to be affected by recency and personal favourite bias, neither of which could possibly relate to the actual event being commemorated. 

I don't know it depends on the individual issue. I think a poll on the colour of the kit is a good way to engage the fans and quite crucially its a low risk kind of vote. Unlike Brexit which was a high stakes gamble that backfired.

Although I get the cut of your jib the people running the ship should just go ahead and make the majority of decisions because thats what they are there to do without consulting "the people"

4 hours ago, al_bro said:

Not quite - By not voting you automatically accept what is currently in place so effectively you endorse the incumbent. 

• 2 weeks later...

Pine Villa - Our Roots, Our Beginning.

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2020/july/18072020-pine-villa/

"Under the shadows of the cotton mills in a town of towering red-brick chimneys during the dying embers of the Industrial Revolution, Pine Villa had taken root where others had fallen by the wayside and enjoyed success before the Club changed its name to the one we know, love and support today."

On 7/5/2020 at 10:25 AM, TheBigDog said:

With regard to Hummel kit, does anyone know if the sizes are similar to previous manufacturers? That is, is a Hummel XL roughly the same as a Sondico XL? 

Asking for a friend...

Last season I had to get the next size up so a XL Sondico would be a XXL Hummel

On 7/5/2020 at 10:25 AM, TheBigDog said:

With regard to Hummel kit, does anyone know if the sizes are similar to previous manufacturers? That is, is a Hummel XL roughly the same as a Sondico XL? 

Asking for a friend...

On 7/20/2020 at 5:09 PM, yarddogs said:

Last season I had to get the next size up so a XL Sondico would be a XXL Hummel

The companies have been cute over the years and have clearly been using less and less material in their shirts. That can be the only reason that I`ve gone from a medium when I started following Latics to a XXXXXXXXXXL now 😬

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

The companies have been cute over the years and have clearly been using less and less material in their shirts. That can be the only reason that I`ve gone from a medium when I started following Latics to a XXXXXXXXXXL now 😬

Are you sure you are not big boned?

The club missed a massive trick not making ST prices £125 this season to celebrate 125 years of the club being in existence. And before anyone says we couldn't afford to do it, Miss Atkinson has told the PTB lads (on record) that any ST income is seen as "extra" due to all the funding that the great man puts in...

6 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

The club missed a massive trick not making ST prices £125 this season to celebrate 125 years of the club being in existence. And before anyone says we couldn't afford to do it, Miss Atkinson has told the PTB lads (on record) that any ST income is seen as "extra" due to all the funding that the great man puts in...

I have seen on a FB page that alledgedly, ST sales are about 250 mark?....wonder what other club in our division are like

Archived