The Athletic: L1 & L2 to be abandoned next week?

I disagree with all of you.  The reason I disagree is that we will not be able to start 'next' season in August.  I can not see football in front of paying spectators this year - I hope I'm wrong.

There is nothing wrong with teams changing their players during a season - we do it every year in January.  There is nothing wrong with teams playing less than their best side at the end of the season - we have this every season when teams have nothing to play for.

So if we can't start next season why not find some way to end this season even if it is a neutral ground behind closed doors but televised - free to season ticket holders but on payment to others.  We might have to wait until the Autumn but why not wait?  What is the point of making a decision now when if people don't behave we could be back in lockdown at any time this summer?   It might even be a good thing for players as teams might keep more players on their books rather than  letting everyone go whose contract expires on 30th June.

21 hours ago, Hands on said:

I disagree with all of you.  The reason I disagree is that we will not be able to start 'next' season in August.  I can not see football in front of paying spectators this year - I hope I'm wrong.

There is nothing wrong with teams changing their players during a season - we do it every year in January.  There is nothing wrong with teams playing less than their best side at the end of the season - we have this every season when teams have nothing to play for.

So if we can't start next season why not find some way to end this season even if it is a neutral ground behind closed doors but televised - free to season ticket holders but on payment to others.  We might have to wait until the Autumn but why not wait?  What is the point of making a decision now when if people don't behave we could be back in lockdown at any time this summer?   It might even be a good thing for players as teams might keep more players on their books rather than  letting everyone go whose contract expires on 30th June.

I thought the same, but it seems quite likely that a treatment will be found from mixing different existing drugs. That would mean not having to go through trials to see if the drugs are dangerous or not. Once they find the correct mix, then people will just be able to go to their GP for a prescription and be cured. Maybe the worst cases will still end up in hospital, but would not necessarily die from the virus. This would enable everything to start up again. 

22 hours ago, Hands on said:

I think you may be right. I can't see crowds back at football matches until next year, and only after a vaccine has been found. That could be well into 2021.

15 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

I think you may be right. I can't see crowds back at football matches until next year, and only after a vaccine has been found. That could be well into 2021.

September/October if the vaccine being trialed by the team in Oxford proves successful.

On 5/11/2020 at 4:27 PM, al_bro said:

If they scrap the whole season as Ritchie suggests, then maybe they could be if someone were to buy them. I think though that games played so far, have to be used in some way. A pools panel isn't a good option. They used to come up with some ridiculous results. End the season as it is and draw a team out of a bag for the playoff promotion slot.

How about all club chairmen taking penalty deciders? that would be good TV.😁

4 hours ago, LaticMark said:

When Sunday league football starts they will have the biggest crowds at any games. Sky and BT Sports will pay millions for the rights and football will be a complete topsy turvy.

Our local pub mates will become celebs and appear on Match of the Day

I hope Clayton playing fields is ready for this.😉

I don't see the problem. With our attendances, social distancing is easy. One supporter at each end of a row. There'll still be plenty of room for one and all. If everyone is forced to wear a mask, it'll cut down on the verbal garbage. Win win!

19 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

I don't see the problem. With our attendances, social distancing is easy. One supporter at each end of a row. There'll still be plenty of room for one and all. If everyone is forced to wear a mask, it'll cut down on the verbal garbage. Win win!

More or less like it was in the Main Stand.

• 1 month later...
On 5/12/2020 at 8:30 PM, bigfatjoe1 said:

The rate ticket sales are going, it will be  stand each.

Social distancing at football is a non starter.

Getting into the ground ( even with our numbers ) would mean queues to the top of Sheepfoot Lane and B and Q car park before the problems of toilets, refreshments and just getting to the middle seats in the row could be negotiated safely.

As has been said previously without an effective vaccine, football as we knew it is a washout. 

Archived