Latics V Liverpool - FA cup giant killings

2 hours ago, stargazer said:

Correct me if I am wrong but hadn't Matt Smith failed to score at Boundary Park up to this game , and we were 17th and no wins in ten ........

We were 10/1 with the bookies ......I fully expected them to only start one of the 'S trio' that had terrorised the Premier League , Sterling , Suarez and Sturridge......amazed they all started.

I felt Jose , our best player by a mile that season, did not handle playing his hometown team .......if he had we might have scored 4 or 5.

No he hadn't scored at Boundary Park he had scored for us though. He was a working project in his first season abit Bambi on ice By this point he was starting to develop into a proper striker not just someone who was a "handful".

The game itself didn't really suite Jose's game if we had tried to pass the ball to feet we would have got beat we had to try and press them high get in their faces and get the ball upto Matt Smith, it worked. 

17 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

No he hadn't scored at Boundary Park he had scored for us though. He was a working project in his first season abit Bambi on ice By this point he was starting to develop into a proper striker not just someone who was a "handful".

The game itself didn't really suite Jose's game if we had tried to pass the ball to feet we would have got beat we had to try and press them high get in their faces and get the ball upto Matt Smith, it worked. 

hence Everton's management team getting at the ref for the replay in the week ahead of the game ,whinging on about our rough play and tactics in the press hence us getting fuck all at goodison 

On 5/21/2020 at 4:29 PM, al_bro said:

Smith finally learned how to throw his weight about during that game and not being afraid of hurting someone.

That game completely finished Seb Coates' Liverpool career too. 

They'd spent £7m on him and he was constantly bigged up to be the long term plan at the back for them and Uruguay.

Then Smith and Simpson made him look a complete headless chicken for 90 minutes.  Never seen anyone sprint faster off the pitch at the end.

He barely played for them again before they shipped him out to Sunderland.

Archived