Playing squad, summer 2020

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

I will do when you acknowledge that your initial point was quite probably a load of old tosh 😉

Accepted re the goals point. The underlying point is though that he hasn't really justified his wage. 

21 minutes ago, welshgaz said:

Accepted re the goals point. The underlying point is though that he hasn't really justified his wage. 

When you consider some of the tripe he's had alongside him he's done pretty well. When he had a better group last couple of months he was good. 

3 hours ago, Lags said:

Speaking to a old mate of mine I'd not seen in a year or so recently, was interesting what he had to say. His lad was at Oldham and now down at City, after city paid 20K to the club. He was talking amongst other things about our owner and that he recently spoke to a club employee. This employee was saying that the owner gets lots of grief off the fans and whilst the owner had made mistakes, and admits he has, he'd also paid off a lot of debts no one knew about. In fact, he'd never been paid on time or there about more in his time at the club. He also added he believed the owner was trying to get the club on a good footing. Just thought I'd share that.

If it's true then all it needs is open communication, ain't difficult. I've said it before and I'll say it again that if he demonstrates he can run the club properly then I'm onside. Fact is so far that his strategy re the playing squad has been a failure, not debatable, and that's what people see first and foremost. 

31 minutes ago, welshgaz said:

How do you know how much he's on?

I was told his wage was alot less than has been suggested.

2 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

It appears he's been badly advised on all fronts...........or not heeded good advice !

The FD openly said that at the fans forum back in October that he advised him.not to buy the club Id say it was sound advice.

2 hours ago, al_bro said:

DMaarms on Twitter says that there are a few people who want to buy the club, and AL is aware of them. If I got the amount of abuse he gets from the fans, I would be getting out ASAP. I can't understand why he doesn't.

Its been hard all the way through to understand what his motivation is.

Again though you have to be prepared for this. Its not a surprise that football fans get abit pissed at the owners when their club fails its quite a big part of peoples lives. Its my team its my brothers team its my Dads team its was my Grandads team and my great Grandads team Id imagine their are many more like me.

Now if their are potential owners who are waiting in the wings I hope they are prepared for EXACTLY what they are getting themselves in for because its a 125 year institution. Their is too much at stake for them to get it wrong.

4 hours ago, al_bro said:

DMaarms on Twitter says that there are a few people who want to buy the club, and AL is aware of them. If I got the amount of abuse he gets from the fans, I would be getting out ASAP. I can't understand why he doesn't.

There are buyers interested but not the broken up club we have. AL needs to buy the lot to sell the lot! 

11 hours ago, nzlatic said:

For anyone questioning whether keeping Wheater is the right thing to do or not, probably worth looking at the teams rumoured to be interested in him and what their ambitions are.

And can people not remember how we started the season....

4 hours ago, Jimbooth said:

When you consider some of the tripe he's had alongside him he's done pretty well. When he had a better group last couple of months he was good. 

Completely.. My point being though that I'd expect a player of his pedigree to coach players through games, lead and be really vocal. Get a well organised back line etc. I'd expect him to improve players around him. 

I guess you'll just point to those players being beyond improvement as they're shit. 

9 hours ago, Lags said:

Speaking to a old mate of mine I'd not seen in a year or so recently, was interesting what he had to say. His lad was at Oldham and now down at City, after city paid 20K to the club. He was talking amongst other things about our owner and that he recently spoke to a club employee. This employee was saying that the owner gets lots of grief off the fans and whilst the owner had made mistakes, and admits he has, he'd also paid off a lot of debts no one knew about. In fact, he'd never been paid on time or there about more in his time at the club. He also added he believed the owner was trying to get the club on a good footing. Just thought I'd share that.

Anybody getting any sort of decent legal advice would have covered themselves adequately during the purchase e.g. only fully disclosed liabilities in writing to be included in the deal, with rock solid indemnities in place for any proven liabilities "coming out of the woodwork". 

2 hours ago, welshgaz said:

Completely.. My point being though that I'd expect a player of his pedigree to coach players through games, lead and be really vocal. Get a well organised back line etc. I'd expect him to improve players around him. 

I guess you'll just point to those players being beyond improvement as they're shit. 

Not beyond improvement, but he didn't get very long with them before they were swapped out. 

8 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Anybody getting any sort of decent legal advice would have covered themselves adequately during the purchase e.g. only fully disclosed liabilities in writing to be included in the deal, with rock solid indemnities in place for any proven liabilities "coming out of the woodwork". 

I've heard claims that stuff is coming out still, but it's 3 years on now. Not credible claims. Even if something it, it's unbelievable that it would be substantial. Which points to lack of Due Dilligence and also a por handover and gettting rid of the Accountants person in haste.

53 minutes ago, singe said:

I've heard claims that stuff is coming out still, but it's 3 years on now. Not credible claims. Even if something it, it's unbelievable that it would be substantial. Which points to lack of Due Dilligence and also a por handover and gettting rid of the Accountants person in haste.

There must be someone sat in a cellar somewhere making this stuff up !

Not a chance any 'outstanding bills' suddenly turning up recently for payment for the first time since AL purchased the club in January 2018

2 hours ago, tGWB said:

There must be someone sat in a cellar somewhere making this stuff up !

Not a chance any 'outstanding bills' suddenly turning up recently for payment for the first time since AL purchased the club in January 2018

Exactly, and has been around the club since August 2017. Perhaps heand his brother should have spent less time watching training, trying to get in the dressing room, and more time looking at the accounts.

Whenever anybody puts something on that may give AL some credit- however small they are not replied to, or quickly met with scorn and derision. I understand why. 
However it raises a serious question.

Would people prefer we went into admin and all that comes with it, or AL stay- and all that comes with that? (I’m not including selling the club, because no-one will buy what AL did, or pay AL and Blitz for the whole thing) 

It’s clear to me that if the views on here are a straw poll for the fan base there is nothing he can do now that will bring people back on side. Please don’t reply with he needs to sack Barry, leave managers alone etc etc. He ain’t going to do it.

So. Admin or AL stay? 

The review of 'The Academy' is an interesting read. This paragraph however seems a bit much-

"There have also been several other changes in terms of pathway because of Covid-19, so we have a new partnership with Nelson Suburbs in New Zealand, so there's going to be opportunities for the young players go out there to play which will help them both on and off the field and give them a good life experience that wasn't available before.

Great experience, but couldn't they have found somewhere further away. I hope the parents don't have to stump up for the air fare.

40 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Whenever anybody puts something on that may give AL some credit- however small they are not replied to, or quickly met with scorn and derision. I understand why. 

Would people prefer we went into admin and all that comes with it, or AL stay- and all that comes with that? (I’m not including selling the club, because no-one will buy what AL did, or pay AL and Blitz for the whole thing) 

It’s clear to me that if the views on here are a straw poll for the fan base there is nothing he can do now that will bring people back on side. Please don’t reply with he needs to sack Barry, leave managers alone etc etc. He ain’t going to do it.

So. Admin or AL stay? 

In February, I'd have said admin.

Right now I'm grateful that we have someone who is sticking with us, regardless of how foolhardy I think he is, as long as he keeps us in business to get us on the pitch.

Financially the lockdown is going to affect every owner and AL is no different, but I think he's got a bit lucky that we've had so many players out of contract.  With barely any responsibility for wages and a lot of free agents around, he has another opportunity to re-build the squad. 

I just hope that he and his staff have learned from their many mistakes.

15 minutes ago, al_bro said:

The review of 'The Academy' is an interesting read. This paragraph however seems a bit much-

"There have also been several other changes in terms of pathway because of Covid-19, so we have a new partnership with Nelson Suburbs in New Zealand, so there's going to be opportunities for the young players go out there to play which will help them both on and off the field and give them a good life experience that wasn't available before.

Great experience, but couldn't they have found somewhere further away. I hope the parents don't have to stump up for the air fare.

It's a trick to entice them to sign and then we tell them it's actually Nelson, Lancashire 😉

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

So. Admin or AL stay? 

Their are plenty of things he can do which has been covered time and time again.

It doesn't have to be the binary choice that you are suggesting. To diminish it to that is a fallacy.

Archived