Playing squad, summer 2020

Just now, oafc 123 said:

AL's biggest failing is being the reason behind us getting relegated from L1.

If Corney was still the owner it's pretty safe to say we would still be in L1 now.

When AL took over from SC, we were 22nd in League One.  There's a fair chance we'd have gone down with Corney.

Neither come out of that season with much credit, anyway.  

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I take two friends to games with me (poor lads) and they said something which made me think. They said a few years ago we where a well ran club (under Corney, which we weren’t), the games where enjoyable and they liked going. Now they see how poorly ran we are, don’t enjoy the games and have no connection to any players. 
How come AL’s bad ownership is in the press more than Corney, given both have huge faults. I think it comes down to what people see and connect with and that’s the team. No one connects with the mass number of french players that have all turned out pretty shit. You can make half a case for about 3 of them but other than that no one cares. I think this is AL’s biggest failing. 

Corney's strategy - spend as little as possible, but maintain our position in L1

AL's strategy - bring in lots of foreign players, attempting to use our first XI as a shop window, absorb any heat from fans, but when it gets too much chuck some money at a 'name' player, go to step one

Completely different ball game.

28 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

When AL took over from SC, we were 22nd in League One.  There's a fair chance we'd have gone down with Corney.

Neither come out of that season with much credit, anyway.  

AL unofficially was in charge throughout the 2017/18 season.  Shez only naming 3 subs in protest at Blackpool away was the start of things to come.

52 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I take two friends to games with me (poor lads) and they said something which made me think. They said a few years ago we where a well ran club (under Corney, which we weren’t), the games where enjoyable and they liked going. Now they see how poorly ran we are, don’t enjoy the games and have no connection to any players. 
How come AL’s bad ownership is in the press more than Corney, given both have huge faults. I think it comes down to what people see and connect with and that’s the team. No one connects with the mass number of french players that have all turned out pretty shit. You can make half a case for about 3 of them but other than that no one cares. I think this is AL’s biggest failing. 

Corney still kept a lot of people around both on the football side and day to day running who had been at the club for years.

Most of them were experienced and, whilst they might not have been very good at it,  knew what needed doing in most situations that might arise eg, with things like doing the paperwork for selling Zak Emmerson.

AL has stripped all that back to its bare bones and pretty much nobody at the club now has any long standing relationships with the people in football who need dealing with on a regular basis, local businesses &/or sponsors, suppliers, the council  etc...

That could take years to get back, especially given the apparent calibre of those we see in positions of influence - Jamie the commercial guy seems quite decent & competent but, him aside.....? 

We hear nothing from semi-experienced football people like Paul Murray & Cadamarteri but a lot from others who never played but have done a coaching course or two. 

A new owner could turn that round pretty quickly by immediately installing experienced operators who've been at other League clubs though.

AL won't will he. Ever.

He wants people who'll toe the line rather than people who'll look after his investment & bring him success. Mental but true. 

We thought it was tinpot under Corney, and it often was, but this is all another much lower level. 

37 minutes ago, oafc 123 said:

AL's biggest failing is being the reason behind us getting relegated from L1.

If Corney was still the owner it's pretty safe to say we would still be in L1 now.

I honestly believe that even if we'd gone down under Corney (i.e. Corney on his own with AL not being in the process of taking over) we'd have come straight back up.

Or at least gone close and had quite an enjoyable season. 

19 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Speak for yourself.  I don't give a toss whether they are French or not.

For me, the bigger issue has been having a massive rotating cast of players most of whom who only play for a couple of matches.

I "connect" with Nepomuceno or Maouche far more than Miller, McHale, Gonzales, N'Guessan, Dieseruvwe... who are only just making up the numbers

Would agree with this. The lack of continuity amongst our staff and players makes success almost impossible.

Instead of having a balanced approach to signings, tactics and a business strategy we are constantly fire fighting, lurching from one crisis to another which can't be good for morale on any level.

Also, call me old fashioned but, the ludicrously high first team squad numbers used by most clubs, including ourselves, must be counter productive to establishing a settled first team.

Surely numbers 1 to 11 should be the first ones allocated before players start choosing the year they were born or their grandma's bust measurement as squad numbers !

2 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I honestly believe that even if we'd gone down under Corney (i.e. Corney on his own with AL not being in the process of taking over) we'd have come straight back up.

Or at least gone close and had quite an enjoyable season. 

Saying that, Corney did say he would walk away if we ever did go down, so fuck knows what would of happened  

3 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Surely numbers 1 to 11 should be the first ones allocated before players start choosing the year they were born or their grandma's bust measurement as squad numbers !

Got to say this made me chuckle.....first time in a while on here too and I agree on squad numbers and much more easier for me to remember their names by rather than straining to hear the tannoy, programme or using BBC sport on my phone...hahah

9 minutes ago, oafc 123 said:

Saying that, Corney did say he would walk away if we ever did go down, so fuck knows what would of happened  

We'd likely still have been better off as a different owner might have come in - would AL (and any backer he may have had in the background) have been interested in buying us as a League Two club.

You got the impression at the time that coming down was never AL's plan and that there might have been more backing from somewhere had we been in League One. 

1 hour ago, oafc 123 said:

AL unofficially was in charge throughout the 2017/18 season.  Shez only naming 3 subs in protest at Blackpool away was the start of things to come.

Which was against EFL rules and regulations. I am surprised that the EFL have not looked into this further.

Corney brought sensible (with the exception of Darren Kelly..) managers in, gave them time and, as far as I can tell, let them bring in their own players and let them pick whatever team they wanted.

This is a seems to be an alien concept to Abdallah, which is probably damaging the club more than anything...

2 hours ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Speak for yourself.  I don't give a toss whether they are French or not.

For me, the bigger issue has been having a massive rotating cast of players most of whom who only play for a couple of matches.

I "connect" with Nepomuceno or Maouche far more than Miller, McHale, Gonzales, N'Guessan, Dieseruvwe... who are only just making up the numbers

I’m speaking for my two friends who no longer go. 

55 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Corney brought sensible (with the exception of Darren Kelly..) managers in, gave them time and, as far as I can tell, let them bring in their own players and let them pick whatever team they wanted.

This is a seems to be an alien concept to Abdallah, which is probably damaging the club more than anything...

You're right about the letting them bring their own players bit, but the managerial appointments were just as hit and miss under Corney (Penney, Dunn, Robinson etc.)

2 minutes ago, dannyboy55555 said:

You're right about the letting them bring their own players bit, but the managerial appointments were just as hit and miss under Corney (Penney, Dunn, Robinson etc.)

In retrospect, they turned out to be rubbish, but you can see why Corney appointed them.

Penney - got Darlington into the play-offs and we were a natural step up. 

Dunn - former England international with contacts, etc. Probably the manager Scholes could have been...

Robinson - decent pedigree having been with Northern Ireland, etc.

They just didn't work out. The fact other clubs took a punt on all of them after us shows they weren't complete stabs in the dark. 

2 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Also, call me old fashioned but, the ludicrously high first team squad numbers used by most clubs, including ourselves, must be counter productive to establishing a settled first team.

One of those really simple positive steps that cost nothing

:chubb:

On 7/12/2020 at 9:44 AM, StoodinaBoshell said:

Alan Nixon confirming that Emmerson has signed for Brighton. Be nice if our club actually communicated this, rather than denying his very existence on the retained list!

. . . and finally!

On 2/4/2020 at 6:44 PM, mick26 said:

Just need a premier League club to want Emmerson or Williams for example.

Bury were doing very well with youth products though so not every club are as good (lucky) as Dale have been.

15 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Are we rich now?

Undisclosed riches!!

9 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

Corney still kept a lot of people around both on the football side and day to day running who had been at the club for years.

Most of them were experienced and, whilst they might not have been very good at it,  knew what needed doing in most situations that might arise eg, with things like doing the paperwork for selling Zak Emmerson.

AL has stripped all that back to its bare bones and pretty much nobody at the club now has any long standing relationships with the people in football who need dealing with on a regular basis, local businesses &/or sponsors, suppliers, the council  etc...

That could take years to get back, especially given the apparent calibre of those we see in positions of influence - Jamie the commercial guy seems quite decent & competent but, him aside.....? 

We hear nothing from semi-experienced football people like Paul Murray & Cadamarteri but a lot from others who never played but have done a coaching course or two. 

A new owner could turn that round pretty quickly by immediately installing experienced operators who've been at other League clubs though.

AL won't will he. Ever.

He wants people who'll toe the line rather than people who'll look after his investment & bring him success. Mental but true. 

We thought it was tinpot under Corney, and it often was, but this is all another much lower level. 

You'll be pleased to hear something from Paul Murray today then

16 hours ago, League one forever said:

Hang on. . 

Do you mean to tell me the club waited for confirmation before announcing on the website??? Plus-  I see they’ve pulled our pants down by giving another well written, articulate send off. 

Bring back Barry. We are a joke. 

😉

Another is doing some serously heavy lifting there.
Here's a list, probably not even completed I haven;t spent ages on it, of the players signed under the new owner,  how many got some sort of recongnition, even if many didn;t deserve one. All 74 of them 😵
Of course, those given a Covid extension will deserve gushing priase......

Aaron Amadi-Holloway

Abdelhakim Omrani

Alex Iacovitti

Alex Palmer

Andy Taylor

Anthony Gerrard

Ben Pringle

Ben Wilson

Brian Wilson

Callum Lang

Cameron Dummigan

Chinedu Uche