Playing squad, summer 2020

5 hours ago, Clubfootkilkenny said:

Embarrassing that we’re desperate for Pidge. Yes he did a good job last season but bottom half of league 2 is his absolute maximum. Suggestions that’s he’s better than Wheater from some of our fans is laughable also.

CBJ is another that no other club in the football league wants. He doesn’t even like football.

its going to be the worse season in a long time this if things don’t change quick. Literally Rowe is the only shining light and if he goes, I think we’ll be adrift by Christmas.  

Should of attacked this division in the first season when it was at its weakest. Bolton and Salford will piss it this year. 

Sorry to be negative, I’ve always (stupidly) thought AL might come good but it’s getting ridiculous now.  I don’t even think we’ll sell more season tickets than anyone in this league which contains fucking Barrow, forest green and Macclesfield.

Sorry for the rant lads, trying to kill time on

nights. Can anyone offer anything positive to keep my spirits up?

He's probably not the greatest player to ever pull on the blue shirt however he is an upgrade on Egert and Sefil and he's a leader to so I'd say he's about as good as we can expect in the same way CBJ is an upgrade on Iacovitti (although I have to say I'm worried about CBJs career trajectory)

If we can upgrade in several positions, and even on a small budget it is possible. Then that's the best we can hope for and we will begin reverse a downward trend we have been on. If we do make even small incremental upgrades in several positions then it will add up to a big improvement across the squad.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Maamria comes in for a lot of stick but I'd say he cares, he wants to do well, he seems to have a genuine affection for the club and if the clowns above him leave him to get on with it then he might just surprise a few people.

You can't go wrong with the fans here if you shout and wave your arms a lot.

Still doesn't make up for tactical cluelessness and a questionable eye for players (N'Guessan, really?)

If we just want someone with affection for the club and keeps the players happy, I'd rather have Shez back.

5 hours ago, Clubfootkilkenny said:

Embarrassing that we’re desperate for Pidge. 

It's undeniable that we looked better with him in the team though.

Pretty much the only decent header of the ball in the entire squad, which is no bad thing in League Two.

23 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

You can't go wrong with the fans here if you shout and wave your arms a lot.

Still doesn't make up for tactical cluelessness and a questionable eye for players (N'Guessan, really?)

If we just want someone with affection for the club and keeps the players happy, I'd rather have Shez back.

Hasn't done a bad job in the circumstances, not sure you could really question January recruitment, tactics maybe but most games are decided by the first goal so how much is down to him open to question.

On 7/15/2020 at 10:59 AM, LightDN123 said:

I take two friends to games with me (poor lads) and they said something which made me think. They said a few years ago we where a well ran club (under Corney, which we weren’t), the games where enjoyable and they liked going. Now they see how poorly ran we are, don’t enjoy the games and have no connection to any players. 
How come AL’s bad ownership is in the press more than Corney, given both have huge faults. I think it comes down to what people see and connect with and that’s the team. No one connects with the mass number of french players that have all turned out pretty shit. You can make half a case for about 3 of them but other than that no one cares. I think this is AL’s biggest failing. 

Can't be arsed reading all the thread but this is interesting. My understanding is that Mr C had a very good rapport with all the employees at the club and that "warmth" radiated around. I understand that "warmth" around the club has morphed into something like the Antarctic on a cold day. To answer someone's question earlier - not a chance of me renewing or even attending whilst the current regime is around. No, not even if we get to Wembley. Worst period in living memory for me, this - and yes, even worse than the days of Chris Moore/Admin etc. (and I`m not referring to covid either).

1 minute ago, johnboy said:

dave ogden.are you getting mixed up with joseph n  gueesan b1987 who did have connections witn auxerre.the only french connection i can find is that chrisian n guessan was born in ivory coast.

Dany N'Guessan who had a full blown journeyman career over here started life at Auxerre.   Can't recall how but I believe they are related.  Coincidence?

28 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Dany N'Guessan who had a full blown journeyman career over here started life at Auxerre.   Can't recall how but I believe they are related.  Coincidence?

There's a link somewhere, he certainly wasn't a Maamria signing anyways.

10 hours ago, SweeperKeeper said:

It's undeniable that we looked better with him in the team though.

Pretty much the only decent header of the ball in the entire squad, which is no bad thing in League Two.

Yeah we did look better with him in the team, not denying that. 

Like I said, he’s capable for a bottom end league two side. I was hoping to see signings that would see us challenging at the other end of the table. Not going to happen though is it. 

1 hour ago, Clubfootkilkenny said:

Yeah we did look better with him in the team, not denying that. 

Like I said, he’s capable for a bottom end league two side. I was hoping to see signings that would see us challenging at the other end of the table. Not going to happen though is it. 

I can say with pretty much guaranteed certainty that we will will never get promoted whilst AL is in charge.  

3 minutes ago, Jimbooth said:

Same trajectory as Dearnley really and he looks a different player now he's tied to the club. 

Hardly. CBJ  played for United's first ten as well as on loan at Championship and L1 level. Dearnley has played for us and in NWCL D1 South. No comparison

6 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Hardly. CBJ  played for United's first ten as well as on loan at Championship and L1 level. Dearnley has played for us and in NWCL D1 South. No comparison

His has been a gradual slide down the leagues whereas Dearnley's was more of a plummet. He may be more committed when contracted to the club. They started in the same place and ended up in the same place, I would say those are comparable characteristics. 

7 hours ago, Jimbooth said:

His has been a gradual slide down the leagues whereas Dearnley's was more of a plummet. He may be more committed when contracted to the club. They started in the same place and ended up in the same place, I would say those are comparable characteristics. 

Hundreds of kids go through United's youth system and don't make it there, that's not a plummet. Playing ten games for their first team and finding yourself scratching around at the bottom of L2 is a far greater fall. 

22 hours ago, wiseowl said:

Can't be arsed reading all the thread but this is interesting. My understanding is that Mr C had a very good rapport with all the employees at the club and that "warmth" radiated around. I understand that "warmth" around the club has morphed into something like the Antarctic on a cold day. To answer someone's question earlier - not a chance of me renewing or even attending whilst the current regime is around. No, not even if we get to Wembley. Worst period in living memory for me, this - and yes, even worse than the days of Chris Moore/Admin etc. (and I`m not referring to covid either).

Surely if we get to Wembley, it'll mean that things have improved? (even if it's LDV Tinpot Cup). I'm calling bollocks either way. Fair enough if you don't want to hand over money to him... No point in not doing aways and FA Cup final visits.

1 hour ago, longtimeblue said:

Surely if we get to Wembley, it'll mean that things have improved? (even if it's LDV Tinpot Cup). I'm calling bollocks either way. Fair enough if you don't want to hand over money to him... No point in not doing aways and FA Cup final visits.

Quite. 

It should also never be underestimated what results do. Even the most ardent hater will find it difficult to ignore a winning run. 

I’LL NEVER GO BACK EVEN IF WE WIN EVERY GAME. 🙄

Right. See you down there. 

4 minutes ago, League one forever said:

And another thing. . 

I don’t go a lot, not because I’m having some mythical protest with a man from Morocco I’ve never met. 

I don’t go a lot- because we’re shit. Really shit. 

If we stop being shit, I’ll probably go to a few more games. 😎

I think that's the same with most people.  I accepted us being shit in league 1 but being shit in league 2 is something else....

On 7/18/2020 at 5:57 PM, TheBigDog said:

Sure about that? 

20 hours ago, longtimeblue said:

Yes I`ve never been so sure about anything. I will never watch the team again so long as the current regime is around.

33 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Yes I`ve never been so sure about anything. I will never watch the team again so long as the current regime is around.

Never get this. It's still your club.

Archived