Playing squad, summer 2020

Any theories on what’s going on with the fabulous french four? (I’m aware they aren’t all french). It doesn’t seem like they’re about the place but I can’t help thinking they’ll be drafted in last minute on the sly to bolster the squad. 

Surely one of them would have signed for a semi pro french team by now if they’d have been released. 

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Clubfootkilkenny said:

Any theories on what’s going on with the fabulous french four? (I’m aware they aren’t all french). It doesn’t seem like they’re about the place but I can’t help thinking they’ll be drafted in last minute on the sly to bolster the squad. 

Surely one of them would have signed for a semi pro french team by now if they’d have been released. 

I think we will see at least 2 of them back in our squad, Maouche and Branger - also wouldn't be overly surprised to see ZDLP re-sign. 

I hope I am wrong, Maouche is a 1 in 8 man (1 good game in 😎) and Branger a 1 in 12. 

1 minute ago, unsworth blue said:

I think we will see at least 2 of them back in our squad, Maouche and Branger - also wouldn't be overly surprised to see ZDLP re-sign. 

I hope I am wrong, Maouche is a 1 in 8 man (1 good game in 😎) and Branger a 1 in 12. 

Why do you think that? I do too but mine is a gut feeling. Do you have any inside information? I just don’t see the benefit of not involving hem in pre season if they are going to be back playing a part.  

I don’t want to turn it into the usual Mouche is the best player ever debate, but I’d happily have them as squad players if im honest. 

6 minutes ago, Clubfootkilkenny said:

Why do you think that? I do too but mine is a gut feeling. Do you have any inside information? I just don’t see the benefit of not involving hem in pre season if they are going to be back playing a part.  

I don’t want to turn it into the usual Mouche is the best player ever debate, but I’d happily have them as squad players if im honest. 

Won't they be out of contract at the end of this month, so either they sign on our terms or look for a new club.

Wonder why we have all forgot about Egert?

2 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Won't they be out of contract at the end of this month, so either they sign on our terms or look for a new club.

I haven’t forgot about him, he’s one of the four isn’t he? He seems to be up for it with us judging by his Instagram. I’m still hoping he can come good. Granted, that’s only based on the fact Burton wanted to keep him. He’s been crap for us and he’s made of glass!

16 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

They can talk to clubs now if they want. Im guessing none of them are attracting too much interest.

17 minutes ago, Clubfootkilkenny said:

I haven’t forgot about him, he’s one of the four isn’t he? He seems to be up for it with us judging by his Instagram. I’m still hoping he can come good. Granted, that’s only based on the fact Burton wanted to keep him. He’s been crap for us and he’s made of glass!

He played 3 games for Burton and according to Wikipedia he wasn't offered a contract so I doubt he made much of an impression. Hes made 51 career appearances and he's 26 he should have 200 under his belt minimum by now. Im writing him off as shit and hope we don't see him again although I heard his agent posted something on either Instagram or Twitter saying he had re-signed for another year.

Can’t argue with that. The thought in the back of my mind as well was that cloughs comments about wanting to re-sign him were made to help get him a new club, probably because he’s a nice lad. Playing devils advocate though, I do remember you defending mills last season over his fitness (or lack of it).

You’re not a fan of any of the foreign lads are you Glossop? What did you make of the new guys today? You must be pleased they’ve gone down this line of recruitment.

With the squad shaping up as it is, plus we could be signing (if rumours are to be believed) Milovanovic, today's No8 (Gerrity?) and already have Dearnley and Rowe to come back, I don't see much point in keeping Maouche and definitely not Branger.

If Wheater is gone, surely Egert can't be seen as a decent replacement. The trialist who came on today at CB didn't have time to show what he can do, so maybe another decent defender is needed to compliment Piergianni.

11 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

With the squad shaping up as it is, plus we could be signing (if rumours are to be believed) Milovanovic, today's No8 (Gerrity?) and already have Dearnley and Rowe to come back, I don't see much point in keeping Maouche and definitely not Branger.

If Wheater is gone, surely Egert can't be seen as a decent replacement. The trialist who came on today at CB didn't have time to show what he can do, so maybe another decent defender is needed to compliment Piergianni.

I think Maouche and branger can add value to the squad. If they are being inconsistent as people rightly point out, there’s players that can play instead now. I do think they can produce moments of quality that othera can’t, even if it is less frequent.

im more frustrated about the Wheater situation, while he wasn’t as good as we all expected, he’s still miles better than anything we’ve got. It’s embarrassing that we’re treating him like this. I’m not just talking about the owner too, the majority of fans talk about him in the same bracket as pidge. As much as I understand pidge does a good job and I like his commitment, he’s not at the level of Wheater. 

8 minutes ago, Clubfootkilkenny said:

I think Maouche and branger can add value to the squad. If they are being inconsistent as people rightly point out, there’s players that can play instead now. I do think they can produce moments of quality that othera can’t, even if it is less frequent.

im more frustrated about the Wheater situation, while he wasn’t as good as we all expected, he’s still miles better than anything we’ve got. It’s embarrassing that we’re treating him like this. I’m not just talking about the owner too, the majority of fans talk about him in the same bracket as pidge. As much as I understand pidge does a good job and I like his commitment, he’s not at the level of Wheater. 

It’s a tough one with Wheater. Obviously more than good enough for this level. But he looked like he was coasting to me last year. Then when you add his situation over the summer I think it’s a long road back for him being motivated to play for us again. Probably can’t be arsed with the circus after the career he’s had. 

8 hours ago, Clubfootkilkenny said:

Can’t argue with that. The thought in the back of my mind as well was that cloughs comments about wanting to re-sign him were made to help get him a new club, probably because he’s a nice lad. Playing devils advocate though, I do remember you defending mills last season over his fitness (or lack of it).

You’re not a fan of any of the foreign lads are you Glossop? What did you make of the new guys today? You must be pleased they’ve gone down this line of recruitment.

Mills? Is that a typo?

The foreign recruitment policy well no its not worked has it? The proof is in the results maybe a better standard of foreign player would have cut it and perhaps some of them just weren't suited to league 1/2 football.

The new lads I didn't see the game today but Im encouraged by what others on here have so far said. Lets not forget 12 months ago in pre-season we were getting beat by the likes of Halifax and Stockport and so far this preseason we have beaten Forrest and Lincoln then we have to say thats progress. We are well light on bodies though and need another 5 in minimum on top of what we already have.

As I said on another thread I like the idea of signing young hungry local lads who may have a point to prove after being cast aside by other clubs. Its the Oldham way and its a philosophy that I believe will always work.

10 hours ago, Clubfootkilkenny said:

Amongst the 'French' foreign legion, Mo Sylla was the one to keep, regrettably he had a better offer.

Nothing against Fage, he could work out, like his attitude.

In the hope of seeing a McCann type signing, how would mighty Maouche get in the starting 11?

Skilful, always happy to receive the ball .... but lacks concentration and too much head shaking and arm waving when the game is getting away from us.

We were better with Wheater in the team last season, good partnership with Pidge.

As for Egert, can he last 90 minutes? Definately a gamble, wheras the much maligned Tom Hamer seems bulletproof in comparison.

13 hours ago, Clubfootkilkenny said:

I don't know anything mate, its just a gut reaction as we seem to be struggling to sign new players. I may well be wrong though. Also the ZDLP re-signing last season from nowhere when we had 2 keepers already make me think that there is possibly more to these players signing than merely football. 

I don't mind Maouche as a player but he really is capable of so much more than he shows, last season was his chance to grab the mantle and lead us but it didn't happen

12 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

He played 3 games for Burton and according to Wikipedia he wasn't offered a contract so I doubt he made much of an impression. Hes made 51 career appearances and he's 26 he should have 200 under his belt minimum by now. Im writing him off as shit and hope we don't see him again although I heard his agent posted something on either Instagram or Twitter saying he had re-signed for another year.

Egert would be a top draw signing for us if he kept fit. Was a big signing for burton at the time in the championship, but got injured early on and was out of action for a year and a half, hence why he was let go. Doesnt seem to have fixed his bad injury luck though. Worth a punt for cover

33 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

Egert would be a top draw signing for us if he kept fit. Was a big signing for burton at the time in the championship, but got injured early on and was out of action for a year and a half, hence why he was let go. Doesnt seem to have fixed his bad injury luck though. Worth a punt for cover

Pay as you play deal.

1 hour ago, Chris15Arm said:

Top draw signing! Think your definition of that are a little different if he is why is knowone snapping him up.

Get someoneelse it would be a better use of any wages

24 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Top draw signing! Think your definition of that are a little different if he is why is knowone snapping him up.

Get someoneelse it would be a better use of any wages

Noone is snapping him up because hes played no football for 2 and a half years and is always injured. Like I said injury free and he would be a class above this division

5 hours ago, Mayfield said:

Amongst the 'French' foreign legion, Mo Sylla was the one to keep, regrettably he had a better offer.

Nothing against Fage, he could work out, like his attitude.

In the hope of seeing a McCann type signing, how would mighty Maouche get in the starting 11?

Skilful, always happy to receive the ball .... but lacks concentration and too much head shaking and arm waving when the game is getting away from us.

We were better with Wheater in the team last season, good partnership with Pidge.

As for Egert, can he last 90 minutes? Definately a gamble, wheras the much maligned Tom Hamer seems bulletproof in comparison.

Hamer wasn't great yesterday. Just the same as last season, giving the ball away. Jombati was much better going forward after the trialist came on, but at CB I'm not sure. Put Wheater in at CB and the defence will be ok. However, if Wheater leaving means we could sign a decent defensive midfielder, then so be it. I would prefer to snap someones hand off, if they want to pay a fee to sign Hamer though.

5 minutes ago, al_bro said:

Hamer wasn't great yesterday. Just the same as last season, giving the ball away. Jombati was much better going forward after the trialist came on, but at CB I'm not sure. Put Wheater in at CB and the defence will be ok. However, if Wheater leaving means we could sign a decent defensive midfielder, then so be it. I would prefer to snap someones hand off, if they want to pay a fee to sign Hamer though.

I've said it before that Hamer hasn't progressed like we'd all hoped he would. He was badly at fault for the goal yesterday, completely missing his header and ending up on the floor. He seems a likeable level headed young chap so it'd probably be a good move for both parties if a decent deal could be agreed with a new club as he's still young enough to get back on track and we're desperate for cash. 

23 minutes ago, al_bro said:

Jombati did look good, no argument there. I do expect Tom Hamer will be sold, my opinion is he takes too much stick and often didnt have much support last season. Still contributed with goals and the long throw ins, worth Tom watching some archive of Rory Delap to make more use of his talents.

The Wheater situation is troubling, lots of ifs .... let him go, replace with cheaper option.

Today the squad to still much too thin, Pidge is very solid, wore the armband yesterday, if he's out, what then?

The odd 60 minutes from Egert wont do.

7 hours ago, Chris15Arm said:

Parts of this simply aren't true.

He was signed by Burton on a short-term contract and then let go after about four months. He played three games. So saying he was a "big signing for Burton... in the championship" is just nonsense.

Clough was keen to keep him "as cover" (his quote) in League One, but he decided against it because they already had five centre-halves.

It was only AFTER he'd left Burton that he got injured.

Archived