Playing squad, summer 2020

34 minutes ago, OneSizeFitz said:

Parts of this simply aren't true.

He was signed by Burton on a short-term contract and then let go after about four months. He played three games. So saying he was a "big signing for Burton... in the championship" is just nonsense.

Clough was keen to keep him "as cover" (his quote) in League One, but he decided against it because they already had five centre-halves.

It was only AFTER he'd left Burton that he got injured.

and his career before Burton is hardly stellar either.

I see Tom Hamer is next up for the special treatment our fans like to give to our promising young players. He follows in the line of Eardley Taylor Stephens and Tarkowski so hes in good company.

We like to do this any time one of them is linked with a team from further up the food chain. However what people fail to grasp he is that doesn't mean he is flawless he has a few weaknesses but I do believe his future lies at a higher level than this.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I see Tom Hamer is next up for the special treatment our fans like to give to our promising young players. He follows in the line of Eardley Taylor Stephens and Tarkowski so hes in good company.

We like to do this any time one of them is linked with a team from further up the food chain. However what people fail to grasp he is that doesn't mean he is flawless he has a few weaknesses but I do believe his future lies at a higher level than this.

Passing an opinion on a player is what the game's all about so I don't know where or when this is classed as "special treatment". It's not as if he's getting slated whilst on the pitch, which definitely happened to Eardley and to a lesser extent Taylor, and all four were better, more complete players than Hamer at the same age in my opinion.

He's been "bigged up" over the last couple of seasons by some on here and although he has a good attitude and obviously needs to fill out a bit to play centre half, which I think will end up his best position, parts of his full-back play ( positional sense, distribution, crossing ) leave a lot to be desired.

I also think he'll play at a higher level but a bit of perspective needs engaging as to his current abilities.

9 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Passing an opinion on a player is what the game's all about so I don't know where or when this is classed as "special treatment". It's not as if he's getting slated whilst on the pitch, which definitely happened to Eardley and to a lesser extent Taylor, and all four were better, more complete players than Hamer at the same age in my opinion.

He's been "bigged up" over the last couple of seasons by some on here and although he has a good attitude and obviously needs to fill out a bit to play centre half, which I think will end up his best position, parts of his full-back play ( positional sense, distribution, crossing ) leave a lot to be desired.

I also think he'll play at a higher level but a bit of perspective needs engaging as to his current abilities.

The exact same language was used at Eardley and the term overrated was used frequently on this very message board. 

Now have I missed something here but I don't see anyone on here building Hamer up to be something he isn't. Knowone is saying he's the next Dennis Irwin. The highest praise he gets is that people acknowledge that he has potential to play at a higher level but thats as far it goes and that's probably a fair assessment of where he is at.

14 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

The only special treatment he gets is that many fans cut him too much slack for poor performances just because he’s young and homegrown. 

Would any of the foreign lads be defended for constantly giving the ball away and slowing the tempo down?

Prime example in your post, writing off Egert after only a handful of appearances yet defending Hamer whose been constantly poor for two full seasons now. And no, I’m not saying I particularly rate Egert, I’ve not seen enough of him. 

And the favourite ‘he’s part of a team that finished 19th last season, he can’t be that good’ comment never seems to be thrown at Hamer, although he was probably the player who featured most. 

6 minutes ago, underdog said:

Is it me or has there been a shift to signing players who have experience in the EFL rather than, outside the UK.

a change of recruitment strategy maybe?

Or a reflection of quarantine complications 

14 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

very true.

Maybe its me but I feel that players that have at least experienced the EFL league, specifically in the lower half, have the skills needed and climatised to cold weather than a foreign import.

Am I being Europeanist? if that is a term?

yikes

21 minutes ago, underdog said:

very true.

Maybe its me but I feel that players that have at least experienced the EFL league, specifically in the lower half, have the skills needed and climatised to cold weather than a foreign import.

Am I being Europeanist? if that is a term?

yikes

The foreign players don't seem to mind in the premiership. Its littered with them. 

I am more inclined to think the club have gone down the fans line. I still think as a club we shouldn't turn away from the idea of bringing in foreign players, we've had some good ones down the years. The odd one or two with the home grown players

47 minutes ago, underdog said:

Is it me or has there been a shift to signing players who have experience in the EFL rather than, outside the UK.

a change of recruitment strategy maybe?

39 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Or it could be that we are now dealing with UK based agents to find our players? 

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

I'd say likeliest answer, plus the possible higher cost of housing them at least initially.

Could be a plus point from a bad situation.
The fact we've not started the season yet is the huge caveat though.

9 hours ago, Clubfootkilkenny said:

The only special treatment he gets is that many fans cut him too much slack for poor performances just because he’s young and homegrown. 

Would any of the foreign lads be defended for constantly giving the ball away and slowing the tempo down?

Prime example in your post, writing off Egert after only a handful of appearances yet defending Hamer whose been constantly poor for two full seasons now. And no, I’m not saying I particularly rate Egert, I’ve not seen enough of him. 

And the favourite ‘he’s part of a team that finished 19th last season, he can’t be that good’ comment never seems to be thrown at Hamer, although he was probably the player who featured most. 

Oh FFS not this again, do you want to compare Egert and Hamer?

Egert has made 51 career appearances for 7 different clubs hes 26.

Hamer has made 72 career appearances for 1 club and is 20 years old.

Egert is currently out of contract and has been for 2 months knowone has decided he's worth a contract.

Hamer despite being under contract is attracting interest from other clubs who may pay a fee to sign him.

Egert made 6 appearances for us last season including 1 where he was sent off for a reckless challenge Hamer was our regular right back. 

Can you see why I rate one higher than the other? Or are you still holding onto this idea that Im a closet racist? (I'm a remain voting liberal btw)

1 hour ago, Lags said:

The foreign players don't seem to mind in the premiership. Its littered with them. 

I am more inclined to think the club have gone down the fans line. I still think as a club we shouldn't turn away from the idea of bringing in foreign players, we've had some good ones down the years. The odd one or two with the home grown players

Yeah, I don’t mind taking a chance on one or two from abroad.  In the same way that I don’t mind a couple from non league. The problem is when you the flood the squad with risks, without some sort of known pedigree. 

54 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Oh FFS not this again, do you want to compare Egert and Hamer?

Egert has made 51 career appearances for 7 different clubs hes 26.

Hamer has made 72 career appearances for 1 club and is 20 years old.

Egert is currently out of contract and has been for 2 months knowone has decided he's worth a contract.

Hamer despite being under contract is attracting interest from other clubs who may pay a fee to sign him.

Egert made 6 appearances for us last season including 1 where he was sent off for a reckless challenge Hamer was our regular right back. 

Can you see why I rate one higher than the other? Or are you still holding onto this idea that Im a closet racist? (I'm a remain voting liberal btw)

The point wasn’t to compare the two. Like I said, I’ve not seen much of Egert to form an opinion.  The point was, Hamer seems to be exempt from criticism despite being very poor for two seasons. The only reason I can think of is that people cut him more slack because he’s home grown, not from actually forming an opinion from what they see out on the pitch. 

1 hour ago, singe said:

I'd say likeliest answer, plus the possible higher cost of housing them at least initially.

Could be a plus point from a bad situation.
The fact we've not started the season yet is the huge caveat though.

Come on its  nothing to do with that, hes tried and  tried  again. Hes not a complete idiot, it hasn't worked and hes realised that. Hes at least trying something new. Will it work? Who knows ?

30 minutes ago, Clubfootkilkenny said:

The point was, Hamer seems to be exempt from criticism despite being very poor for two seasons. The only reason I can think of is that people cut him more slack because he’s home grown, not from actually forming an opinion from what they see out on the pitch. 

I’ve lost count of the managers we’ve had last 2 seasons but they’ve all played Hamer mainly at right back though Banide played him in a sort of floating defender / winger role.

Such consistency suggests at least to me that he was doing something to justify their confidence and following their instructions.

These might not altogether coincide with what we on here think he ought to be doing.

1 hour ago, latics22 said:

Come on its  nothing to do with that, hes tried and  tried  again. Hes not a complete idiot, it hasn't worked and hes realised that. Hes at least trying something new. Will it work? Who knows ?

You believe he'd have signed similar/same players without the pandemic? 

Virtually no chance IMHO. Our particular leopard doesn't really change his spots. 

28 minutes ago, singe said:

Virtually no chance IMHO. Our particular leopard doesn't really change his spots. 

You say that, but all six players we signed in January (pre-pandemic) were English...

51 minutes ago, singe said:

Once again a slanted opinion that is impossible to prove. You have no idea like the rest of us the consequences of this pandemic and its effects on signing players.

As OSF says above previous evidence points against your humble opinion.

For once can you not just accept the signings without trying to tell us there is an alternative agenda.

Thanks for pointing out earlier the caveat that the season hasn't started yet. Where would we be without your insight?

30 minutes ago, OneSizeFitz said:

You say that, but all six players we signed in January (pre-pandemic) were English...

It’s a great point.

If you look at our last 15/20 signings from January they’re all British based. And as you rightly point out 6 we’re pre-covid. So the ‘maybe we’re avoiding #frenchlads because of covid’ doesn’t really wash. 

Also. Singe refuses point blank to acknowledge that maybe - just maybe one of AL’s many fuck ups is being learnt from. 😉

9 hours ago, Clubfootkilkenny said:

The point wasn’t to compare the two. Like I said, I’ve not seen much of Egert to form an opinion.  The point was, Hamer seems to be exempt from criticism despite being very poor for two seasons. The only reason I can think of is that people cut him more slack because he’s home grown, not from actually forming an opinion from what they see out on the pitch. 

Very poor for the last 2 seasons yet attracting interest from other clubs ok.....

9 hours ago, singe said:

Nothing can be good at the club. Absolutely nothing. 

9 hours ago, singe said:

I don't necessarily see that. He can't have failed to spot that the previous model wasn't working 

3 hours ago, Lags said:

Nothing can be good at the club. Absolutely nothing. 

It's not our fault that we have such a negative attitude towards the club. 

We're the ones that are left.  Can you imagine the opinion of the 10K + that have deserted us over the last 30 years!!

Archived