On 6/8/2021 at 11:55 AM, BP1960 said:

I've done a DVD of the1990/91  promotion season from the official VHS.  I guess  though due to copyright issues extracts can't be used.

Of course they can, it's a 30 year old VHS, that you can't buy anymore. Much of what I had, I converted, uploaded to Daily Motion & placed it in the 1990/91 post above. If you have anything that's missing then get it uploaded and I'll edit the post; although there is the Fishul season review in there from 'exnoless' on Daily Motion already.

https://www.owtb.co.uk/topic/51991-latics-footage-index/?do=findComment&comment=1077140

Edited by lookersstandandy

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2021 at 7:12 PM, bazerx said:

If you haven't got this, Bristol Rovers away, Easter 1974. 1min 34 secs in.

Wow! Never thought I'd see that 1974 Bristol Rovers game again. Remembered all the action, except for the Whittle free kick at 2:40. He produced an even more impressive dead ball effort in the second half, firing a dipping 35-yarder just an inch or so over the crossbar, then two weeks later scored with that amazing curler at York.

Edited by Summerdeep

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Sparkleking said:

A quick heads up.  The Big Match Revisited featuring Chelsea v Latics from May 1980 is on ITV 4 next Saturday, 31 July.  It's listed as the first match so may be longish highlights.

Cheers. A 3-0 defeat. I’ll try to record it, convert it, upload it and post it in here….

• 1 month later...

Been taking a look through the list for the earliest period, and noticed a couple of televised games which don't appear:

Crystal Palace 1-0 Latics (23 Sept 1978, BBC Match of the Day). I recall Barry Davies commenting that 'Oldham haven't got off the coach yet', a reference to their disjointed play in the early stages of the game.

Man City 0-0 Latics (4 May 1985, Granada). Latics thwarting Man City's promotion hopes, there's a very brief shot of an angry looking Jimmy Frizzell (City's assistant manager) leaving the pitch at the final whistle. City had a player sent off in a turbulent second half, and Darren McDonough had a headed goal disallowed for Latics. I recorded a ten-minute highlights version from 'The Big Match' on a Betamax tape when I lived in London. I may still have the tape, but don't have any machine to play it on. There's a possibility that it might have been transferred  many years ago to VHS or DVD, so I'll have a good search for that!

Edited by Summerdeep
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Summerdeep said:

Been taking a look through the list for the earliest period, and noticed a couple of televised games which don't appear:

Crystal Palace 1-0 Latics (23 Sept 1978, BBC Match of the Day). I recall Barry Davies commenting that 'Oldham haven't got off the coach yet', a reference to their disjointed play in the early stages of the game.

Man City 0-0 Latics (4 May 1985, Granada). Latics thwarting Man City's promotion hopes, there's a very brief shot of an angry looking Jimmy Frizzell (City's assistant manager) leaving the pitch at the final whistle. City had a player sent off in a turbulent second half, and Darren McDonough had a headed goal disallowed for Latics. I recorded a ten-minute highlights version from 'The Big Match' on a Betamax tape when I lived in London. I may still have the tape, but don't have any machine to play it on. There's a possibility that it might have been transferred  many years ago to VHS or DVD, so I'll have a good search for that!

If you can find the VHS, I can convert it to digital file and upload it to a platform for everyone to view.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2021 at 3:31 PM, Summerdeep said:

Well, here's the recording, from a DVD version. Quality not great due to the number of transfers (Betamax > VHS > DVD > MP4), but watchable.

Thanks for that.  Is that Eddie Large on City's bench right at the end?  I know he was a City fan.

• Like 1

Er, yes indeed....

And now for something completely different. A slightly fuller version of Latics v Watford, 29 Dec 1973, from LWT's 'The Big Match'. Terrible miss by George Jones - thank goodness Garwood established himself as a first team regular in the second half of the season, otherwise I think we might have missed out on promotion.

Eddie Large wasn't on the Latics or the Watford bench, by the way...

Edited by Summerdeep
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Late 1960s I guess, there's a  couple of clips of a practice match against Manchester United, Best and Charlton included,  featuring as I can see Ian Wood, Maurice Whittle, Colin Garwood, Jim Bowie and as I can make out Harry Dowd in goal.

Clip 1

Edited by BP1960

10 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Late 1960s I guess, there's a  couple of clips of a practice match against Manchester United, Best and Charlton included,  featuring as I can see Ian Wood, Maurice Whittle, Colin Garwood, Jim Bowie and as I can make out Harry Dowd in goal.

Clip 1

George Best had a football skills show on TV - they used footage from the practice games against us.

18 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Clip 1

Bill Cranston RIP, Alan McNeill also featured plus Paul Clements?

• 1 month later...
On 3/26/2022 at 9:58 PM, Sparkleking said:

Next Saturday, 2nd April, ITV 4's Match Time Revisited will feature Latics v Watford from Jan 82.

Just watching the recording - Frizzell in charge with Clements, Futcher, McDonough, Ryan, Atkinson, Heaton, Palmer, Steele, Edwards, Keegan and McDonnell.

Must have been there but can't remember anything about the game!!!

24 minutes ago, mick26 said:

Just watching the recording - Frizzell in charge with Clements, Futcher, McDonough, Ryan, Atkinson, Heaton, Palmer, Steele, Edwards, Keegan and McDonnell.

Must have been there but can't remember anything about the game!!!

I watched it this afternoon.  Pity we didn't win!