On 4/3/2022 at 7:44 PM, mick26 said:

Just watching the recording - Frizzell in charge with Clements, Futcher, McDonough, Ryan, Atkinson, Heaton, Palmer, Steele, Edwards, Keegan and McDonnell.

Must have been there but can't remember anything about the game!!!

Light years ahead of this team.

• 3 months later...
On 2/1/2022 at 9:58 PM, BP1960 said:

Late 1960s I guess, there's a  couple of clips of a practice match against Manchester United, Best and Charlton included,  featuring as I can see Ian Wood, Maurice Whittle, Colin Garwood, Jim Bowie and as I can make out Harry Dowd in goal.

Clip 1

Wow, very interesting footage, first time I've seen it! Can't be earlier than the middle of the 1970-71 season if Harry Dowd was playing (signed for us late 1970), but I also think that's Paul Clements who can be seen in the no 7 shirt at around the 4:40 mark, so that would place the game in 1971-72. It can't be any later than June '72, as Jim Bowie is undoubtedly featured in the earlier clip, and he was released on a free transfer in that month.

Edited by Summerdeep

• 5 months later...
On 7/31/2022 at 3:18 AM, Summerdeep said:

Wow, very interesting footage, first time I've seen it! Can't be earlier than the middle of the 1970-71 season if Harry Dowd was playing (signed for us late 1970), but I also think that's Paul Clements who can be seen in the no 7 shirt at around the 4:40 mark, so that would place the game in 1971-72. It can't be any later than June '72, as Jim Bowie is undoubtedly featured in the earlier clip, and he was released on a free transfer in that month.

Bowie was a card.   When he was released, story goes that he went to sign on in Oldham, the dole office rang round and got him a start at Rochdale.

How times have changed, eh.

Edited by Punce
Cock up

On 1/16/2023 at 5:09 PM, Punce said:

Bowie was a card.   When he was released, story goes that he went to sign on in Oldham, the dole office rang round and got him a start at Rochdale.

How times have changed, eh.

Bowie played his last game for the Latics in a 1-0 defeat at Aston Villa on 10 April 1972. He picked up a serious injury which required a cartilage operation. His release on a free transfer wasn't popular with the fans, and Jimmy Frizzell appeared to be unhappy about it as well, refusing to make any comment to the press on the matter. According to the Oldham Chronicle's Jim Williams, it was the club chairman John Lowe who made the decision.

The fact that his career with Rochdale lasted only one month suggests that he never regained full fitness.

Edited by Summerdeep

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Chelsea v Latics, March 3 1984. I think the only version on YouTube is a 59 second one. This recording is the one originally shown on 'Match Of The Day' and is taken from an old Betamax tape in my private collection. Enjoy, or at least try to!

This game came during a run of just one win in eleven matches, and by late April we looked odds-on for relegation, but we then managed a run of three straight victories which hauled us into nineteenth place and safety.

Edited by Summerdeep
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Blackburn away, 23 August 1975. This footage is described as missing on the first page of the thread, but here it is.....

Great link up between Groves and Blair to put us in the driving seat at half time. All thrown away after the break by some appalling defending. This kind of performance was sadly all too common in some away games during our first three seasons in the old Second Division (1974-77), and with a record of just 5 wins from 63 away fixtures, it was always a bit of a mystery to me how we managed to avoid being relegated in that period.

See also Bolton away later on in the same season: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwV1nrgP5uc

Edited by Summerdeep
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just been to the central library in Oldham this afternoon.

They have Lowry's Going To The Match on loan.

As part of the exhibition there is a film of Latics in the 1966-7 season. I think it is the 2-2 draw vs Wolves in the cup and features a goal by, I think, Keith Bebbington. Also good film of crowds making their way to the ground. Looks like cine film, but decent quality.

Located in Gallery 1. Well worth a visit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1