Harry Kewell Departure Watch

35 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Are their still human beings who can walk around freely in society without being sectioned who genuinely believe a change of Manager will make the difference at this football club.

Also can you imagine the absolute desperados you will be applying for the Job when Kewell goes in the next few week.

it won't make us fly up the league. It won't get us top half. But a different manager who can show some willing at least can work with this set of players to do something to get us a few places off the bottom. Thats not what we all want but with covid and lack of money etc, along with the owners who get 1 good player out of 30 or 40, the only thing we can hope for is a manager who will keep us going with the players we have. We had no hope in hell 2 seasons in a row with players that either weren't good enough or weren't up for the fight, and shez came in and got players from lower leagues and kept us up. So a manager can change things, even if its not the miraculous jump up the table we want

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

Agreed but I don't think rowe is up for it either. Bahamboula and dearnley I think aren't fully fit but rowe should be. But rowe is an upgrade on blackwood who will need a season at least to get it together in England. A season that we don't have

Rowe 3 goals in 3 games though?

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

Rowe 3 goals in 3 games though?

Yes but in the league he goes missing. He can't play when the other team are backs against the wall or men behind the ball. Same with a lot of our players. Thats why players like bahamboula show promise because whatever is in front of them they work it out. Rowe disappears and sulks. Then even his control lets him down because he can't be arsed. Id still rather him than blackwood but id prefer rowe as a player to come on as sub

13 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

it won't make us fly up the league. It won't get us top half. But a different manager who can show some willing at least can work with this set of players to do something to get us a few places off the bottom. Thats not what we all want but with covid and lack of money etc, along with the owners who get 1 good player out of 30 or 40, the only thing we can hope for is a manager who will keep us going with the players we have. We had no hope in hell 2 seasons in a row with players that either weren't good enough or weren't up for the fight, and shez came in and got players from lower leagues and kept us up. So a manager can change things, even if its not the miraculous jump up the table we want

Chris its rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic mate.

Any remotely competent manager will want to bring in 3-4 of their own players and build the team in their own image Fat Mo won't let them. 

Every manager we’ve ever had, good and bad, makes decisions that baffle us, that make no sense on paper.

The number of times i’d lose my shit about some decision Joe Royle made is absolutely unbelievable.

Maybe they see something in training we don’t, maybe it’s adapting a system to the opposition, maybe they’re saving the owner money, maybe a player isn’t fit or is carrying a knock, maybe they’re just a terrible, terrible manager.

I don’t think Kewell has done anywhere near enough to tell us whether he’s a good manager or not. Nowhere near. I mean, I guess he probably isn’t. But that’s not based on his handling of the total fucking train wreck that is OAFC.

But I do know the owner and his brother do not have a clue and between them have consistently assembled squads of players that are just not good enough for the level of football we’re at. 

I can’t see any good reason to sack Kewell yet and nothing that makes me think another manager would do any better with a bunch of players who aren’t good enough at a club that has been dying for a decade or more.

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

Any remotely competent manager will want to bring in 3-4 of their own players and build the team in their own image Fat Mo won't let them. 

We blithely talk about bringing in another 3 or 4 players at the same time as the club is telling the govt and EFL that they need a bail out....to be committing to extra wages in the hope that somebody else will pay them Is indefensible

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

No transfer window now till Jan..Stuck with what we have till then...

1 hour ago, oafcmetty said:

Does he pick the team? He's stated his main role is to coach the players. Wouldn't surprise me if he has input, but isn't the main voice, in terms of who plays and who doesn't.

I get where your coming from and I know why people say almo pick them etc. But if they were then that meant they picked the team under wild and under Scholes and under banide. Wild did a lot better than the others so either managers are picking the team or almo had a massive upturn in form coinciding with wild bein in charge

They've influenced selection before, but Kewell is the only one who's been that explicit in interviews. Maybe Banide was the same. I doubt it was 100% the case with Dino, not sure about Wild - they definitely had their input...

30 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

They've influenced selection before, but Kewell is the only one who's been that explicit in interviews. Maybe Banide was the same. I doubt it was 100% the case with Dino, not sure about Wild - they definitely had their input...

When they gave Andy Rhodes the team sheet he stood up to them and got sacked.

21 hours ago, OneSizeFitz said:

What worries me with Kewell is that he doesn't seem to have a game plan. What style of football is he even aiming for? 

At least with Banide you could see what he was trying to do... 

From the little I've seen I agree.

Granted he may not have made all the signings, but he is the coach and it's pretty clear the system he's playing is not working with the players we have.

Looking at our squad can anyone honestly say it's the worst squad in the EFL?

Yeh bottom half of the league maybe but fucking bottom...

You can tell from the press conferences Kewell hasn't a Scooby.

I say change it now. It can't get much worse

1 hour ago, Londonboy said:

Granted he may not have made all the signings, but he is the coach and it's pretty clear the system he's playing is not working with the players we have.

Who has got a worse squad that you know of then?

Whether he stays or goes it probably won't matter much.  Mo/AL don't exactly have a good track record when it comes to managerial appointments.

Corney gets a lot of justified stick, but here are the managers he brought in when he was in sole charge (I think this covers that period)...

Dickov, Johnson, Holden, Kelly, Dunn, Sheridan, Robinson and Wellens

Whether it worked out with us or not (and mostly it was not!), almost all have gone on to manage or still do manage at either our level or higher.  

Here's AL's list since he took charge...

Bunn, Wild, Scholes, Banide, Maamria, Kewell.

Of that list, only Wild is a permanent manager elsewhere and he got the job as the last man in the building rather than being recruited.  And then walked because of the circumstances he was expected to work under.  AL/Mo also fired Wellens, who has since gone on to prove himself a very good manager at this level.

92/92. It's hard to see how this is going to change.

3 hours ago, Londonboy said:

He hasn't been given any defensive midfield players to break up play and protect the defence

1 hour ago, Barry Bosnian said:

Perhaps now Salford have done it we will follow their lead and put Mo in charge...

You wouldn't be surprised!.....having said that.....Alexander will be a good appointment for somebody.

On 10/10/2020 at 7:44 PM, Luis Enrique said:

Every manager we’ve ever had, good and bad, makes decisions that baffle us, that make no sense on paper.

The number of times i’d lose my shit about some decision Joe Royle made is absolutely unbelievable.

Maybe they see something in training we don’t, maybe it’s adapting a system to the opposition, maybe they’re saving the owner money, maybe a player isn’t fit or is carrying a knock, maybe they’re just a terrible, terrible manager.

I don’t think Kewell has done anywhere near enough to tell us whether he’s a good manager or not. Nowhere near. I mean, I guess he probably isn’t. But that’s not based on his handling of the total fucking train wreck that is OAFC.

But I do know the owner and his brother do not have a clue and between them have consistently assembled squads of players that are just not good enough for the level of football we’re at. 

I can’t see any good reason to sack Kewell yet and nothing that makes me think another manager would do any better with a bunch of players who aren’t good enough at a club that has been dying for a decade or more.

Dying for a long time, since the pivotal Hughes goal at Wembley...the result of a bad decision by Royle, in my opinion. The slow death has been interspersed with many false dawns and periods of elation. I cannot see any way out with the clown in charge, his sidekick brother and the Covid-19 disaster. I think it's too late for Latics and many other minnow clubs.

49 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Dying for a long time, since the pivotal Hughes goal at Wembley...the result of a bad decision by Royle, in my opinion. The slow death has been interspersed with many false dawns and periods of elation. I cannot see any way out with the clown in charge, his sidekick brother and the Covid-19 disaster. I think it's too late for Latics and many other minnow clubs.

Sharpe's fault all of this for missing a sitter.

Actually, my fault for singing 'always look on the bright side of life,' i jinxed it.

We were still a selling club in the PL. How can anyone survive at the top by being a selling club?

JW Lees couldn't have given a toss. There was no investment at a time when we might have benefitted from ground development.

Still, in reality, once the PL was formed, the writing was the wall for many small clubs, unless they were/are lucky enough to be heavily subsidised. Even then, the likes of Wigan have struggled to fill the financial void (or chasm in Bolton's case) once the owner leaves.

I'm surprised it took Liverpool and United this long before making a move. Everything is about the money, not about the game. It's tragic, whichever way you look at it.

2 hours ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Sharpe's fault all of this for missing a sitter.

Actually, my fault for singing 'always look on the bright side of life,' i jinxed it.

We were still a selling club in the PL. How can anyone survive at the top by being a selling club?

JW Lees couldn't have given a toss. There was no investment at a time when we might have benefitted from ground development.

Still, in reality, once the PL was formed, the writing was the wall for many small clubs, unless they were/are lucky enough to be heavily subsidised. Even then, the likes of Wigan have struggled to fill the financial void (or chasm in Bolton's case) once the owner leaves.

I'm surprised it took Liverpool and United this long before making a move. Everything is about the money, not about the game. It's tragic, whichever way you look at it.

I forgot about the Sharpe miss. I was sat low down near the front and actually thought it was in. The greedy, money-grabbing has killed it for me, I'm not even interested in the England games any more. My wife can't believe I have reached this point, given my usual fervour for football.

I feel football is going, or about to go through, a huge and radical transition bringing about the demise of many clubs and a restructuring which will cut the lower leagues adrift.

They've basically killed the game with the saturation coverage their greed demanded. 

I used to look forward to going to the pub on Sunday afternoon and Monday night to watch the premiership matches but there are so many on ( even pre-Covid ) that you'd have to have a bit of a drink problem to watch them all.

The ridiculous amounts Sky and BT charge licensed premises allied to the overkill of matches shown will backfire spectacularly before long. 

Archived