Harry Kewell Departure Watch

1 hour ago, Worcester Owl said:

Great work 👍

As Singe says, it's interesting - of the clubs who've used more players than us, only Salford (11th) are in the top half of the table and the rest are 15th or lower. The top 3 Newport, Cambridge and Cheltenham have used among the lowest number of players.

Wait till they all burn out and we storm up the table. No, wait....keep waiting....sure it'll happen....sure.

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, oafcmetty said:

Wait till they all burn out and we storm up the table. No, wait....keep waiting....sure it'll happen....sure.

Wish people would stop commenting (no, the irony isn’t lost) as everytime I see the “unread post” sign I click in the hope he’s gone and taken Driftwood with him*

*yes I know it will make no difference with CoCo et al here, I just can’t stand the guy 

25 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Wish people would stop commenting (no, the irony isn’t lost) as everytime I see the “unread post” sign I click in the hope he’s gone and taken Driftwood with him*

*yes I know it will make no difference with CoCo et al here, I just can’t stand the guy 

Sorry !

😉

1 hour ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Think you’ll find if/when he goes it will command a thread of its own entitled....Kewell gone!!!

3 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Logical I suppose, if you have a winning team keep it together as much as possible.

They might also have greater fitness levels because they're playing more often. Perhaps our players look tired because they're not fit enough/squad rotation is actually working against them. Or, in some cases, they just aren't physically capable of meeting the demands of the Fourth Division. 

It's very difficult to comprehend how as soon as Bunn and Banide hit a little sticky patch they pulled the trigger, they sacked Dino when he'd done a reasonable (albeit underwhelming) job yet Kewell presides over the most anaemic rudderless shitshows for half a season and he gets a fair crack. Baffling really.

I get some of his team changes have been enforced by injury but what are they doing in training?

I'd fine any player who punts it aimlessly up to Rowe or Dearney every time they did it. Soon as we start doing that we just give possession away constantly. Invites pressure on. Needs to be coaching them on their positioning so they can pass it more effectively. Not bothered of its a direct few passes instead of tippy tippy shite but it should never be chucked up for small strikers to try and beat a 6'4 CB

He can go for me because he clearly isn't doing the right things with them.

Anyone with half a brain wouldn't allow long ball with the strikers we have. Embarrassing that he let's them resort to it constantly. 

The trouble with this lot is that they are so inconsistent. I just think one or two are improving and then they go back to being terrible again, like Garrity on Saturday. It may be the position they are being asked to play which causes it. 

54 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

They might also have greater fitness levels because they're playing more often. Perhaps our players look tired because they're not fit enough/squad rotation is actually working against them. Or, in some cases, they just aren't physically capable of meeting the demands of the Fourth Division. 

Think HK would argue scoring a lot of late goals shows they are as fit as any.

52 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

It's very difficult to comprehend how as soon as Bunn and Banide hit a little sticky patch they pulled the trigger, they sacked Dino when he'd done a reasonable (albeit underwhelming) job yet Kewell presides over the most anaemic rudderless shitshows for half a season and he gets a fair crack. Baffling really.

He wants 3 years to make an impact.

48 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Yup. And at the Royton CC fans forum our illustrious leader implied that he simply had to sack Bunn because we were beaten 6-0 by Carlisle, when the team threw in the towel. We were a mid table team who’d flirted with the play-offs.

4 hours ago, BP1960 said:

He wants 3 years to make an impact.

Frankie was a solid appointment slated by some on here. He was treated like a sack of shit. Disgraceful.

Don't treat a hero like that, especially after a few months. He was doing okay. He was building. Tells us/reinforces what many of us think about our owners. Also says something about fans' critics.

37 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Frankie was a solid appointment slated by some on here. He was treated like a sack of shit. Disgraceful.

Don't treat a hero like that, especially after a few months. He was doing okay. He was building. Tells us/reinforces what many of us think about our owners. Also says something about fans' critics.

I agree on Bunn being treated badly, but I don’t know what it was, it just all seemed a bit boring with him around ? 

10 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

We are only 12 games into it though.  For what it's worth we might as well give him another dozen to see if he can make any progress, then call for his head if needs be.

7 hours ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Absolutely.

I think fans were a bit impatient as it was our first season in L2 and many expected us to go straight back up at a canter. 

Understandable maybe, but overall he was treated like a complete mug by the club.

4 hours ago, oafc 123 said:

We are only 12 games into it though.  For what it's worth we might as well give him another dozen to see if he can make any progress, then call for his head if needs be.

I don't agree with calling for managers to go early, and I'm not now, but can you see Kewell/Lemmys1&2 trying anything different than the first 12 games?

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

I don’t think he will ever turn a corner 

More pertinent will we ever turn a corner into a goal ?

What was going on with Rowe and the short ones on Saturday ?

Ditch short corners. get it in the box and run in and try to head it into the net.

I know it's a bit old fashioned but it's a damn sight better than pissing about with it near the corner flag.

11 hours ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Other than Darren Kelly (and that was the Board's fault really), I have never actively called for a manager to go although some have had their welcomes outstayed longer than others (Penny springs readily to mind). 

I used to go on the Realistic Oldham supporters FB group but dropped them after some of their number really abusing him and going for him which I thought was far too OTT given his stature at the club as a player and as a decent bloke too. His team was generally unspectacular but had delivered some decent wins in between and just before Christmas had lost 3-2 in a humdinger v Exeter at home when heir forward had had a great game and dismantled us. The Carlisle 6-0 game sealed his fate but it was a ridiculous scoreline on the play, Latics had had all the play first half and yet were 3 or 4 down. Bunn knew his fate around the time Rhodes was sacked without his knowledge. 

Should not treat anyone with the sort of scant respect Bunn received but i expect no different from the club these days sadly. Equally it is totally disheartening to see how some supporters treat managers and players but they pay their money, they have their choice.                  

4 hours ago, ShireBlue said:

Absolutely.

I think fans were a bit impatient as it was our first season in L2 and many expected us to go straight back up at a canter. 

Understandable maybe, but overall he was treated like a complete mug by the club.

Completely agree. When he was sacked we'd W8 D8 L8 in the league and were through to the 3rd round of the FA Cup. At times we'd been as high as 6th and when we beat Bury in mid-December we were 10th. Not pulling up trees, but for a guy in his first job as manager it was a decent start. Any sane owner would have backed him - that's the problem.

On 11/16/2020 at 8:54 AM, TheBigDog said:

Harry Kewell gets a lot of grief from some for his constant chopping and changing of the starting eleven. And to a certain extent that criticism is justified.

However there are mitigating circumstances that should not simply be dismissed out of hand.

With the annual influx of new players at the start of the season, it does take time for a coach (who has had little or no input in bringing those players to the club) to understand how to fit them into his style of play. Fitness, both physical and match, also plays a huge part as players have different trajectories to reaching peak condition. Also let’s not forget that given the high number of games  recently a certain amount of squad rotation was necessary and prudent.

And we cannot ignore the impact that injuries and the virus, and in one instance, international call ups have had on player availability. In essence he has to work with what he’s got.

Having said all of the above, that does not excuse Kewell’s team selection and subsequent substitutions for the Scunthorpe game. 

Not bringing Piergianni back in, starting with Blackwood and  Garrity were mistakes in my opinion.

He now has a week of training with the squad to prepare for a tricky game at Exeter. Hopefully McAleny will be back too.

In my opinion there are eight players who should be automatic starters if available - Lawlor, Clarke, Piergianni, CBJ, Bahamboula, McAleny, Dearnley and Rowe.

It should not be too tricky to find the remaining three (*) ... 😉

* maybe in the January transfer window...

https://www.skysports.com/share/12135429

EFL to allow FIVE substitutions from this Friday onwards. Even more reason for HK not to change the team so often...

Archived