Harry Kewell Departure Watch

The home side's iFollow commentary at Forest Green last week kept saying Andy Mangan (ex them) was on our coaching staff and they could see his influence.  Is he?  According to Wiki he's at Bristol Rovers.

We could certainly use a defensive coach

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

Would we appoint anyone better? Can't see it. Renew.

That's how I see it.  To get an obviously higher calibre of manager in would be gamble that I don't think we'd be able to afford and certainly not worth the risk at this time with money being tight across football.

The thing that worries me is that he has said on a few occasions that it takes 3 years to properly build a team (which I kind of agree with), so it would be typical if he signs a 2 year extension and jumps ship in the summer.

28 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

That's how I see it.  To get an obviously higher calibre of manager in would be gamble that I don't think we'd be able to afford and certainly not worth the risk at this time with money being tight across football.

The thing that worries me is that he has said on a few occasions that it takes 3 years to properly build a team (which I kind of agree with), so it would be typical if he signs a 2 year extension and jumps ship in the summer.

After a poor start he turned it around to an extent. The football going forward has been excellent and he has improved one or two. 

But.

It’s a massive concern when he says in interviews- ‘everyone concedes in league two’. His answer to our defensive problems seems to be to score more. Which on the whole isn’t happening. We lose more of the high scoring games than we win. 

Having said that, you have to question if he says what he means. Or he says what keeps him in a job. Because no sane football person would have such disregard for the defensive. And while he doesn’t recruit, he still maintains he is responsible for the picking the side. So how on earth can justify playing Jombati at centre half so regularly? 

It’s hard to make a rounded assessment because we don’t truly know who is responsible for what. Each has a get out clause. ALMO can blame HK and vice versa. 

He’s done ok.  Nothing more. Do you keep him because we’re excellent going forward. Or do you sack him because we are truly dreadful at the back, and he shows no concern about it? 

1 hour ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

he has said on a few occasions that it takes 3 years to properly build a team 

AS he will have no chance of doing so this year given we have so few players under contract for next season the clock starts ticking again on that one in August

10 minutes ago, League one forever said:

After a poor start he turned it around to an extent. The football going forward has been excellent and he has improved one or two. 

But.

It’s a massive concern when he says in interviews- ‘everyone concedes in league two’. His answer to our defensive problems seems to be to score more. Which on the whole isn’t happening. We lose more of the high scoring games than we win. 

Having said that, you have to question if he says what he means. Or he says what keeps him in a job. Because no sane football person would have such disregard for the defensive. And while he doesn’t recruit, he still maintains he is responsible for the picking the side. So how on earth can justify playing Jombati at centre half so regularly? 

It’s hard to make a rounded assessment because we don’t truly know who is responsible for what. Each has a get out clause. ALMO can blame HK and vice versa. 

He’s done ok.  Nothing more. Do you keep him because we’re excellent going forward. Or do you sack him because we are truly dreadful at the back, and he shows no concern about it? 

I found him a difficult listen in that interview with the trust.  It came across to me like he was answering the questions how he thought it would sound best, rather than in an honest way.  It's one thing to protect your players by not being too critical or too personal outside the dressing room, but to basically try and argue there's no problem at all is just weird.

2 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I found him a difficult listen in that interview with the trust.  It came across to me like he was answering the questions how he thought it would sound best, rather than in an honest way.  It's one thing to protect your players by not being too critical or too personal outside the dressing room, but to basically try and argue there's no problem at all is just weird.

Spot on. 

I think he’s trying to hard to keep his job, which after two failures I can understand. But desperation isn’t an attractive look in any walk of life. He is making himself look stupid by justifying the indefensible. 

I’d definitely give him a new deal. 

Obviously he needs to sort the defensive issues out but regardless of who plays in the back 4, they’re going to do shit. Jombati has been rightly criticised, Clarke wasn’t any better on Saturday and seems to have an inability to clear his lines and Pidge is worse than the pair of them for me. For now, this way of playing might be the best way.

Got to give him another year at least and hopefully he only has to re-build half a team in the summer as opposed to a full squad as has become the norm in the past few years. 

I'd stick with him.  If nothing else, we're playing some of the most entertaining football of the last few years.  Up front we now seem to have a bit of structure and a plan of how to play.

There are massive issues at the back, mainly down to lack of talent but also some of his misjudgement (Jombati at CB, too much rotation).  But if he gets on top of that we should move up the table.

We've been held back by late recruitment in the last few summers, so hopefully he can start work on reinforcing the defence as soon as possible.

15 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

I'd stick with him.  If nothing else, we're playing some of the most entertaining football of the last few years.  Up front we now seem to have a bit of structure and a plan of how to play.

There are massive issues at the back, mainly down to lack of talent but also some of his misjudgement (Jombati at CB, too much rotation).  But if he gets on top of that we should move up the table.

We've been held back by late recruitment in the last few summers, so hopefully he can start work on reinforcing the defence as soon as possible.

He doesn’t recruit though. So we can only judge him on team selection and tactics. Which defensively has been woeful. It’s obvious where ALMO placed our budget this season. I’m just hoping that when they offload Wheater in the summer they have the good sense to bring in two quality centre half’s with his wage. 

I think he’s made a positive difference in testing times. Certainly the attacking play is  the best for years and his team is entertaining to watch. 

for him to come in, have no real say on transfers and get used to the owners and get promotion in first year is almost impossible. Deserves a contract for next year.

Question is, how close do we feel he is to the sack or not being kept on?? I think if he finishes 15th and below he’ll be gone

I'd extend. He has done well with the players dumped on him. How many are his we don't know. Any decent manager out there wouldn't put up with the Lemmies and that would lead to more disruption. His coaching has improved DKD and Bahamboula and he may be able to convince the players we need to keep to stay.

I notice he has managed to get an illegal hair cut last week.

4 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Good debate this. 

He has done well in part and giving him an extension certainly has merit. But ultimately do people want stability over results? 

For all the entertainment and goals, we’re not much higher than Dino had us. 

I believe that stability can bring results in time. Switching to a whole new setup every 12 months, new players and new coaches is not the way to do it, as we've seen time and time again. It's all well and good saying we need better results, and perhaps a better manager, but lets be honest any good manager isn't going to want to come to Oldham and work for the Lemmies!

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

As the framework above the Head Coach is unlikely to change then there seems little point in getting rid of someone who seems happy to work and is doing a reasonable job within it.

So because the framework is poor we should we different expectations of the head coach. . ? 

No one mentioned the framework when we went 8 games unbeaten away from home. 

I want better than- he’s doing a reasonable job. 

36 minutes ago, League one forever said:

So because the framework is poor we should we different expectations of the head coach. . ? 

We all do, but that's about as good as it gets. 

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Unless we stumble across a coach or group of players who can outperform the framework then reasonable is as good as it is likely to get.

17 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Unless we stumble across a coach or group of players who can outperform the framework then reasonable is as good as it is likely to get.

Yeah fair enough. 

I don’t think it’s an impossible job, but equally a lot has to go right or we get lucky in spite of what is going on, rather than it being because of. 

3 hours ago, deyres42 said:

As the framework above the Head Coach is unlikely to change then there seems little point in getting rid of someone who seems happy to work and is doing a reasonable job within it.

It's very commendable that he can work in the framework above him but he can do better by ceasing to tinker with squad rotation. It's Oldham Athletic, not Real Madrid.

As I said previously, just do the job properly.
I'm pretty sure he can.

45 minutes ago, Wardie said:

It's very commendable that he can work in the framework above him but he can do better by ceasing to tinker with squad rotation. It's Oldham Athletic, not Real Madrid.

As I said previously, just do the job properly.
I'm pretty sure he can.

7 players with more than 1500 minutes, is rotation as big an issue as people think it is?

look we thought we struggle to stay up this season with our signings. shock but we are scoring loads goals and bit of continuity is good. we got the german lad til summer maybe get him year aswell and we might still get keep most of our squad and be different . 

at least we not done a bury or stockport and leave the league. 

and saw the articicle on bbc sport about our players being after if the players go on some money for us atleast we stay around for another couple seasons 

try be positive

1 hour ago, andya said:

look we thought we struggle to stay up this season with our signings. shock but we are scoring loads goals and bit of continuity is good. we got the german lad til summer maybe get him year aswell and we might still get keep most of our squad and be different . 

at least we not done a bury or stockport and leave the league. 

and saw the articicle on bbc sport about our players being after if the players go on some money for us atleast we stay around for another couple seasons 

try be positive

I understand what you are saying but I’m not celebrating the fact we stayed in the EFL. 

7 hours ago, al_bro said:

I'd extend. He has done well with the players dumped on him. How many are his we don't know. Any decent manager out there wouldn't put up with the Lemmies and that would lead to more disruption. His coaching has improved DKD and Bahamboula and he may be able to convince the players we need to keep to stay.

I notice he has managed to get an illegal hair cut last week.

Well, maybe not. Wahl clippers are very good, £30-40 and upwards on Amazon 😉

Archived