Harry Kewell Departure Watch

20 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

The home side's iFollow commentary at Forest Green last week kept saying Andy Mangan (ex them) was on our coaching staff and they could see his influence.  Is he?  According to Wiki he's at Bristol Rovers.

We could certainly use a defensive coach

Yeah, he was in helping out for a few weeks. He has now gone with Barton to Bristol...

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of people making the excuse for Kewell that he doesn't recruit the players and he has had players "dumped" on him. Didn't he come out in that Trust interview and say he has the final say on all players? Continuity is good, but continuity in 17th place in League Two isn't good enough. And he spouts some nonsense. I would be happy to see him depart...

33 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

A lot of people making the excuse for Kewell that he doesn't recruit the players and he has had players "dumped" on him. Didn't he come out in that Trust interview and say he has the final say on all players? Continuity is good, but continuity in 17th place in League Two isn't good enough. And he spouts some nonsense. I would be happy to see him depart...

Imagine who'd apply...

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

It is a manager's job in the EFL. It would always attract decent applicants...

Nobody applied last time did they as the owner just appointed Kewell?  No reason to think he wouldn't just appoint someone else without going through a considered process. 

I would definitely give him another season to try and tweak the squad.

We have real problems at the back and obviously they must be addressed for next season, however, we have close to, if not the best attack in the division. I haven’t seen anything remotely close since the Joe Royle era and they are an absolute joy to watch at times!

Somebody at the club (unless we have been extremely lucky) has a real eye for a player and it could well be Harry!

If, and it’s a big if, that level of recruitment can be replicated and we can hold on to the likes of McAleny, Dunn, and Bahamboula we could quite easily smash this division next season.

We’ve waited a hell of a long time and haven’t come close to achieving anything for nigh on 30 years. IMO a little continuity and patience is definitely the way to go!

Honestly, the man's been in the job for just over half a season and people are already talking about getting rid & appointing someone else. How did Joe Royle's first 30 games go, or Alex Ferguson at Man United? The expectations on here at times really are ludicrous, stop the merry-go-round and give him at least two seasons to do something, then we can make a more informed decision about whether or not he's up to the job. 

24 minutes ago, Barry Bosnian said:

Honestly, the man's been in the job for just over half a season and people are already talking about getting rid & appointing someone else. How did Joe Royle's first 30 games go, or Alex Ferguson at Man United? The expectations on here at times really are ludicrous, stop the merry-go-round and give him at least two seasons to do something, then we can make a more informed decision about whether or not he's up to the job. 

that's the chap.  I'm really struggling to believe that after our recent history anyone thinks differently

1 hour ago, Barry Bosnian said:

The game isn’t what it was Barry. 

How many clubs keep managers for stability sake, or let them build while they hover around in a lowly position. I accept we change more than most, but the point still stands that the average manager tenure is just over a year. 

I think we can make an informed decision. Or I’ll put it another way- to improve our position HK is going to need a drastic change in his tactics and team selection. Do you honestly think he will do that? 

Even if we get a couple of decent centre halves in the summer, I don’t think they will improve us enough with his tactics. However much we dress it up with the attacking side, it’s a results based business. 

3 hours ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

This is where I’m at. If we were 11/12th and it was a noticeable improvement in league position from Dino then I’d say he’s worth another season. But we’re not. We are 17th. Again. 

Change would be madness, we have improved slowly, look at how we started. We have a better calibre of players at least up front a few tweaks and we could fly next season. Things have changed for the worst in football with the sack culture, it hasn't improved things. Plus who is already lined up the youth manager, no thanks sticl with hazza!

Kewells already in the news saying its going to be difficult to keep hold of a few of his players, we all know that.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56153440

Will he get a chance to see through some of the really good work thus far achieved or will it be yet another start from complete scratch scenario?

17 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Kewells already in the news saying its going to be difficult to keep hold of a few of his players, we all know that.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56153440

Will he get a chance to see through some of the really good work thus far achieved or will it be yet another start from complete scratch scenario?

Was just going to post the same. People are assuming our better will be here. Which with the exception of Baha who has an option they won’t be. How many two year contracts do we have, to my knowledge it’s one- Dearnley. 

With or without Kewell the squad will be very different next year. So the stability and building for the future is completely moot. Most of time now it’s a one season shoot out, which is why this season is infuriating, because we had a real chance this year. 

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

There is a big difference between Banny and Kewell Dave. 

Yep, but the last manager who had a full season with us was Johnson. That's just absurd, surely it's time to try a different approach? 

7 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Yep, but the last manager who had a full season with us was John's. That's just absurd, surely it's time to try a different approach? 

Aye. He should get the season, he at least deserves that. And if we finish top half I’ll change my position and say give him another year. However I think we’ll finish where we are, or maybe a position or two higher and if that proves the case then get rid. (Which I think ALMO will, and they would be correct in doing so IMO)  

The problem is few decent managers would consent to join us under the current regime so our options are not as open as others.

I'm a great believer in giving a person a fair crack at the job and to my mind Kewell deserves at least another 12 months drinking from the poison chalice.

How many can reasonably think that anyone could have done a much better job given the circumstances ? 

Just now, Bobledgersheart said:

The problem is few decent managers would consent to join us under the current regime so our options are not as open as others.

I'm a great believer in giving a person a fair crack at the job and to my mind Kewell deserves at least another 12 months drinking from the poison chalice.

How many can reasonably think that anyone could have done a much better job given the circumstances ? 

The CEO of the club thinks we have a top 10 squad. We are currently 17th: I don't think that will go down very well with the powers that be...

I prefer the away day experiences which I have missed tremendously and once we are back to near normality, supporting a Harry Kewell team away from home would be a massive step up from previous seasons and infinitely better than anything I’ve witnessed over the last few years!!

At this moment in time, holding on to Harry and our better performers from this squad is an absolute no brainer for me.

58 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Aye. He should get the season, he at least deserves that. And if we finish top half I’ll change my position and say give him another year. However I think we’ll finish where we are, or maybe a position or two higher and if that proves the case then get rid. (Which I think ALMO will, and they would be correct in doing so IMO)  

What if we finish 14th but 2 points away from 11th?

Archived