• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Frankie was a solid appointment slated by some on here. He was treated like a sack of shit. Disgraceful. Don't treat a hero like that, especially after a few months. He was doing okay. He was bui

And people are still prepared to debate the merits of managers on here and reckon all our problems will go away if Kewell ends up being the next fall guy    Kewell will go as a last resort an

After weeks of absolute shite we are now seeing a massive improvement in both performances and results. We are by no means there yet but for about 20 minutes at Valley Parade today we were absolu

Posted Images

48 minutes ago, oafcjacob said:

I think the fact that weve lost 14 games already shows we're no where near good enough to be near the top 7  😥

You can't build a succesful team hoping a few individuals will work some occasional magic.

When these individuals have have gone as surely they will, what happens then?

I think we saw the future of that tonight.

Edited by BP1960
3 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

Nicky Adams (2022)  
Andrea Badan (2022)
Dylan Bahamboula (2021 plus option)
Marcus Barnes (2021 plus option)
Laurence Bilboe (2021 plus option)
George Blackwood (2022)
Zak Dearnley (2022)
Kyle Jameson (2021 plus option)
Brice Ntambwe (2021 plus option)
Carl Piergianni (2022)
Callum Whelan (2022)

Adams and Bahamboula are definitely good enough to keep on, although extension or not I think Bahamboula won't be here beyond the summer.

Pidge and Jameson are borderline, Dearnley's issue is injury rather than ability.

The rest need to prove themselves between now and May.

Kewell's shown enough positives to be given the summer to try and improve despite his flaws.  If we're still putting in performances like tonight next season then he won't deserve to be here.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh
1 minute ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Adams and Bahamboula are definitely good enough to keep on, although extension or not I think Bahamboula won't be here beyond the summer.

Pidge and Jameson are borderline, Dearnley's issue is injury rather than ability.

The rest need to prove themselves between now and May.

From what I've seen they won't and the merry go round starts again next season with the same outcome or more likely worse.

IMO the blame for this circus lies with the owner and his brother.

It's a depressing thought of what's to come.

• Like 2

I've a feeling this thread is going to be very popular from now on.

All the signs were there tonight of players packing it in for the season, most knowing they won't be here for the next.

Demob happy they used to call it in the old days.

I’m not having that nobody can work under ALMO or expect anything, or that the head coach doesn’t matter anymore. 

Was it the impossible job when we went our best away run in nearly twenty years??? Kewell is better Dino. But still not good enough. 

Even in our situation, a decent coach would see an improvement. 

52 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I’m not having that nobody can work under ALMO or expect anything, or that the head coach doesn’t matter anymore

Was it the impossible job when we went our best away run in nearly twenty years??? Kewell is better Dino. But still not good enough. 

Well the 8 different managers we've had since ALMO have been on the scene suggest otherwise.

Yes this season has been entertaining and we had a decent away run,  but no progress has been made since last season. 

7 hours ago, League one forever said:

I’m not having that nobody can work under ALMO or expect anything, or that the head coach doesn’t matter anymore. 

That was balanced out by our worst home form in 20 seasons 

7 hours ago, League one forever said:

I am. The odds are stacked against clubs like Latics anyway. Throw in some self- destructive egotistical owners and we've literally got no chance. 

With the club's reputation the way it is, only the desperate (or owner associate) would come near the job. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Wardie said:

What happened to  "The club belongs to the fans and owners are just the custodians"?

That's just a myth innit? If the club belonged to the fans, then the owner wouldn't be able to run it however he likes. It's his club...

• Like 1

Blackpool and Coventry have both managed to have recent success with crazy owners. Kewell said he has full control of team affairs and signings so the buck stops with him for the poor recruitment and shoddy displays we have seen this season...

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Blackpool and Coventry have both managed to have recent success with crazy owners. Kewell said he has full control of team affairs and signings so the buck stops with him for the poor recruitment and shoddy displays we have seen this season...

If he said the moon was made of cheese would he have full responsibility for sprinkling parmesan over my spag bol?  We know for absolute certain that's just not true just from the Wheater situation.

4 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

I can't remember the ins and outs of each case, but I would suggest the successes were stacked right against the odds if the owners were crazy in the same way ours are crazy (if fact it only started going west for Blackpool after they reached the Premier League and Oyston wanted to keep all the money, didn't it?).  Ours have no money; don't own the ground; destroy relationships with players, staff and sponsors; interfere with the team and have generally obliterated the club's reputation.

I think Kewell's in on it more than any other manager we've had under these owners, which is why he's still got his job..

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

If he said the moon was made of cheese would he have full responsibility for sprinkling parmesan over my spag bol?  We know for absolute certain that's just not true just from the Wheater situation.

Whether I believe him or not is a different matter, but it is what he has gone on record saying so we need to take it at face value. Karl mentioned on a podcast that HK said Wheater isn't fit enough for the EFL at the moment. As long as Kewell is publicly saying he has full control, then I will be laying the blame fully at his door...

1 minute ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Whether I believe him or not is a different matter, but it is what he has gone on record saying so we need to take it at face value. 

I stopped doing that with this lot a long time ago,

9 hours ago, oafc 123 said:

Well the 8 different managers we've had since ALMO have been on the scene suggest otherwise.

Yes this season has been entertaining and we had a decent away run,  but no progress has been made since last season. 

3 hours ago, disjointed said:

That was balanced out by our worst home form in 20 seasons 

2 hours ago, JoeP said:

I am. The odds are stacked against clubs like Latics anyway. Throw in some self- destructive egotistical owners and we've literally got no chance. 

With the club's reputation the way it is, only the desperate (or owner associate) would come near the job. 

Non of which I’m disputing. 

I’m just making the point that the head coach does make a difference, and he must still take some responsibility. This season and with Bunn previously proves we can get results. 

Would the right appointment take us up? Probably not, we’re to disfuntional. 

Would the right appointment be able to coach a side to a top half finish. Yes IMO. 

Obviously I don't know the ins and outs of the inner workings at the club, but I have a feeling that HK is toeing the party line and saying what ALMO want to hear. We all know what happens to anyone who rails against the regime.

If, on the other hand, the decisions are his, as he says, then he isn't capable of getting this bunch of players to produce on a regular basis, nor has his recruitment been good enough.

11 hours ago, League one forever said:

Its obvious HK toes the line. That's why AL brought him in without interviewing any others

I don't know how anyone can work with these people and eventually I feel HK will realise this and move on.

They could sack him, but all we'd get is another failure.

It's very depressing.

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

Its obvious HK toes the line. That's why AL brought him in without interviewing any others

I don't know how anyone can work with these people and eventually I feel HK will realise this and move on.

It's very depressing.

The combination of subpar owner, dreadful sporting director, and average (?) manager is destined to lead to mediocrity at best. You could argue that if we had an excellent manager, he'd make more of a silk's purse out of what he has to work with, but even if that were the case, how long would he be here before being offered a role elsewhere? And then you're back to the lottery of hoping the next bloke is decent.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

It's very depressing.

HK got the job because AL was his agent. They are not good to work for and as a former manager told me the brother is a nasty piece of work, sour grapes you might think but too many coincidencies between FB, PW, PS and others for him to be wrong, so would any better manager take the job?

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

Non of which I’m disputing. 

I’m just making the point that the head coach does make a difference, and he must still take some responsibility. This season and with Bunn previously proves we can get results. 

Would the right appointment take us up? Probably not, we’re to disfuntional. 

Would the right appointment be able to coach a side to a top half finish. Yes IMO. 

The head coach might make a marginal difference. A top ten finish might be achievable under these owners, but that is a really low ambition to have. This league is shit.

The buck stops with the owners. The fact they’re so involved with the playing side means the buck stops with them even more so.

We’ve no chance of getting a decent manager while they’re here. Only the desperate would want it. That’s why, for consistency and nothing else, we might as well keep Kewell. If we can’t get rid of owner and manager, we might as well keep them all..

• Like 1

The salary cap could have been a potential leveller for next season (it possibly has been this season, time will tell) , now that's not going ahead those clubs with the deepest pockets will again be at an advantage.