Harry Kewell Departure Watch

2 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

Utterly irrelevant to HK's prospects, but is Inma's gin shack between Casares beach and Sabinillas open yet, @RobinsDuckEgg ?

I need something to look forward to. Come July/August a few of her knockout G&Ts, hot Spanish sun, new owners at Boundary Park, building a promotion push. I can see it all.

G&T’s and hot Spanish sun maybe🤔....as for the rest of it...dream on!😔

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Called it at the start of the season we had a top attacking unit and that a CDM and a CB would send us up. My over positive mindset has sheilded me from seeing how right l was. Still hoping against hope that HK's Joe Royle tactics will come good.

Always back the manager and l do like him BUT l really hated it when he said if he had the money he would sign a striker and that theres no point trying to defend in division 4. lts the kind of frustrating arrogance people must feel when reading my posts 😂😂😂

Joe played a structured 442 and rarely varied it.

Players in every position knew their job. HK is totally dysfunctional in tactics formation and players.

Big Joe did have a couple of big advantages though..better players and no outside interference.

9 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Players in every position knew their job. HK is totally dysfunctional in tactics formation and players.

Big Joe did have a couple of big advantages though..better players and no outside interference.

Easier to play one tactic and stick to it when pretty much every other club is doing the same.

11 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Brian Clough was known for the simplicity with which his teams played. For example Robertson's job was to cross the ball, Kenny Burns had to win it and give it to O'Neill etc. Yes that was 30/40 years ago, but the games not changed that much since then, especially at this level.

2 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

Utterly irrelevant to HK's prospects, but is Inma's gin shack between Casares beach and Sabinillas open yet, @RobinsDuckEgg ?

I need something to look forward to. Come July/August a few of her knockout G&Ts, hot Spanish sun, new owners at Boundary Park, building a promotion push. I can see it all.

Almost everything closed at the moment, as bars have restricted hours and very few people around anyway. I'm expecting things to get back to normal by the end of June, but we're way behind the UK in the vaccination roll out. You'll probably need to have had yours to get into Spain. 

21 hours ago, Barry Bosnian said:

Brian Clough was known for the simplicity with which his teams played. For example Robertson's job was to cross the ball, Kenny Burns had to win it and give it to O'Neill etc. Yes that was 30/40 years ago, but the games not changed that much since then, especially at this level.

Clubs jump on the latest trends like goalkeepers playing out from the back and false number 9s

As you say it's a simple game, get back to basics using your best players Harrry. We are Oldham Athletic not Manchester City.

6 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Clubs jump on the latest trends like goalkeepers playing out from the back and false number 9s

As you say it's a simple game, get back to basics using your best players Harrry. We are Oldham Athletic not Manchester City.

Manager impliments his own style shocker!! We don't have to play in the past because we live there. History is reset every new manager and it's up to them to try to earn some pages. Not the new guys fault nobody has done. 

lncidentally, we don't try n play anything like city, more wolves if we are makin a comp 😉

Have a lovely evening listening to the wireless remember to light the candle in the outside toilet and sweep out the fire before bed!!!

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

Manager impliments his own style shocker!! We don't have to play in the past because we live there. History is reset every new manager and it's up to them to try to earn some pages. Not the new guys fault nobody has done. 

lncidentally, we don't try n play anything like city, more wolves if we are makin a comp 😉

Have a lovely evening listening to the wireless remember to light the candle in the outside toilet and sweep out the fire before bed!!!

I will, remembering the great days of big Joe rather than worshiping the modern trends.

I keep saying it's a simple game made complicated by too much overthinking.

Even HK had to go back to the old style 442 in the 2nd half..and guess what, it paid off.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

I will, remembering the great days of big Joe rather than worshiping the modern trends.

Even HK had to go back the to the old style 442 in the 2nd half..and guess what, it paid off.

tumblr_phxcbvndKF1qlikls_540.jpg.a54eabd9f18cb236861b605a1d1b1aca.jpg

Tongue now out of cheek the false 9 isn't actually that newer concept.

Back in 1953 the Hungarians famously had a withdrawn number 9 Nandor Hidheguti playing for them who scored a hat trick aswell as the number 10 Ferenc Puskas playing a withdrawn roll they famously beat England 6 - 3 at Wembley as England couldn't cope with the movement of the forwards and Billy Wright England Captain and widely regarded as the best defender in the world at the time commented afterwards "We completely underestimated the advances that Hungary had made" its was an acceptance of how the world had changed. A player who played in that game was Alf Ramsey it must have had an impact on him as 13 years later England won the world cup as they abandoned the WM formation in favour of what was seen as a new trendy formation at the time of not playing with Wingers (the wingless wonders).

Football tactics coaching techniques will always evolve over time no doubt they will change and evolve in future. Footballers these days have to be able to play in many different formations it's not like 30 years ago with everyone playing 4-4-2. Most of them will be very comfortable playing 4-2-3-1. Especially for the likes of McAlmont Clarke and Borthwick Jackson coming through big academies playing out from the back and playing different formations is second nature the likes of Bahamboula, Hilsner and Diarra aswell. Infact the concept of an old fashioned 4-4-2 with 2 wingers hugging the touchline and spending the whole game just getting crosses in for a big number 9 would probably feel more alien to them than playing a 4-2-3-1 and building from the back.

Some things will stay the same but for clubs like Oldham we will have to adapt and move forward both on the field and off it or we get left behind and die. We have been spending most of 25 years doing the latter.

EDIT: For anyone interested in reading how football tactics have evolved down the years, then I recommend reading a book called "Inverting the pyramid the history of football tactics" By Jonathan Wilson it's a good insight into the history of football.

11 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

You know what, Harry showed he learnt today by taking Diarra off and fair play to him. 

Hope McAleny was tactical and not injury. 

Tactical I expect, maybe HK has had enough of his slow starts to games like the last 2 matches ehere he's hardly touched the ball in the first half and will use him as an impact sub?

15 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Even HK had to go back to the old style 442 in the 2nd half..and guess what, it paid off.

Did we go 442? Did we not go 3 at the back?

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Tactical I expect, maybe HK has had enough of his slow starts to games like the last 2 matches ehere he's hardly touched the ball in the first half and will use him as an impact sub?

Definitely tactical.  

Bar two or three - Guy, Kayode and Patrick - Carlisle are a big, basic, limited side that were bullying us all over the pitch. They launched the ball forward at every opportunity, using the long throw as often as possible.

Grant playing up front on his own was struggling to make the ball stick and we were constantly under pressure in the final third. To put it simply, we were set up all wrong in the first half and our attempts to play our passing game was not working.

After the break Kewell introduced Piergianni and Blackwood switching  to a more regular 4-4-2 formation. This, along with an increase in the tempo of our play, allowed us to gain a foothold in the game. We looked a different side.

As soon as Hilssner scored the penalty there was only going to be one winner. Bahamboula did what Bahamboula does and Piergianni capped off a fine second half with a towering header for the third.

Bolton next - let’s hope the players are up for it and that Harry gets his tactics right from the off.

11 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Definitely tactical.  

Bar two or three - Guy, Kayode and Patrick - Carlisle are a big, basic, limited side that were bullying us all over the pitch. They launched the ball forward at every opportunity, using the long throw as often as possible.

Grant playing up front on his own was struggling to make the ball stick and we were constantly under pressure in the final third. To put it simply, we were set up all wrong in the first half and our attempts to play our passing game was not working.

After the break Kewell introduced Piergianni and Blackwood switching  to a more regular 4-4-2 formation. This, along with an increase in the tempo of our play, allowed us to gain a foothold in the game. We looked a different side.

As soon as Hilssner scored the penalty there was only going to be one winner. Bahamboula did what Bahamboula does and Piergianni capped off a fine second half with a towering header for the third.

Bolton next - let’s hope the players are up for it and that Harry gets his tactics right from the off.

It’s nothing new BD.

I wonder where we would be if he kept things simplistic for the players, and didn’t over rotate. He constantly shoots himself in the foot trying to be clever. 

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Definitely tactical.  

Funny how many say 442 is an outdated formation, yet it changed things for us.

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Tactics, team selection yes, both important.

Carlisle should have been out of sight after 20 minutes, we were chasing shadows. Great credit to the characters in the side who kept going, the subs definitely changed the game.

Insert whichever footballing cliche is appropriate "keep it tight for the first 20 minutes... dont let them settle, what out for the quick lad up front ..." presumably all this is being said.

So looking forward to Bolton, with hope more than expectation.

A positive result from an game usually means one of our aces (Dylan or Conor) has done something magic and no more than two players have had a bad game.

Delighted to see Pidge back, he is what we need at this minute and next season in my opinion.

High praise for Nicky Adams, running the show from right back. Does he insist on playing there? Frankly he can play wherever he likes for me, but the obvious thought is can he just push up into midfield?

Saying this as somebody who thinks Sido Jombati is a decent right back, but a risk at centre back.

3 hours ago, Mayfield said:

Tactics, team selection yes, both important.

Carlisle should have been out of sight after 20 minutes, we were chasing shadows. Great credit to the characters in the side who kept going, the subs definitely changed the game.

Insert whichever footballing cliche is appropriate "keep it tight for the first 20 minutes... dont let them settle, what out for the quick lad up front ..." presumably all this is being said.

So looking forward to Bolton, with hope more than expectation.

A positive result from an game usually means one of our aces (Dylan or Conor) has done something magic and no more than two players have had a bad game.

Delighted to see Pidge back, he is what we need at this minute and next season in my opinion.

High praise for Nicky Adams, running the show from right back. Does he insist on playing there? Frankly he can play wherever he likes for me, but the obvious thought is can he just push up into midfield?

Saying this as somebody who thinks Sido Jombati is a decent right back, but a risk at centre back.

And you were doing so well...

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

And you were doing so well...

I've seen Jomabti several times, never thought he was a bad player at right back, far from it.

Playing him out of position isnt smart, but needs must at time, I understand that.

Similar loyalty to Pidge, he was good last season, good this season in my opinion, I believe he is very consistent.

Some say consistently poor, I dont agree at all, he does the simple things well, same for Jombati (at right back).

Condemning either player for not being something they never were is daft, in my opinion.

13 hours ago, Mayfield said:

I've seen Jomabti several times, never thought he was a bad player at right back, far from it.

Playing him out of position isnt smart, but needs must at time, I understand that.

Similar loyalty to Pidge, he was good last season, good this season in my opinion, I believe he is very consistent.

Some say consistently poor, I dont agree at all, he does the simple things well, same for Jombati (at right back).

Condemning either player for not being something they never were is daft, in my opinion.

I agree with your logic on positioning but both Jombati and CBJ are slow at seeing danger and don't recover quick enough when we lose the ball. They are both guilty of letting opposition players walk or run past them without following their runs and get caught out much too often. Pidge on the other half is a straight forward clogger and header, not great but what do we expect from a non league player?

15 hours ago, Mayfield said:

2 hours ago, C.O.JONES said:

I agree with your logic on positioning but both Jombati and CBJ are slow at seeing danger and don't recover quick enough when we lose the ball. They are both guilty of letting opposition players walk or run past them without following their runs and get caught out much too often. Pidge on the other half is a straight forward clogger and header, not great but what do we expect from a non league player?

Neither are decent, but played in their right position- can do a job. Which given the performances of others at times this season, you’d take. 

Archived