Harry Kewell Departure Watch

On 2/27/2021 at 3:22 AM, GKing521 said:

Enjoyed his pre-match interview. Felt it was honest and frank and he clearly wants to be here beyond this season. If we can end the season with a decent run of form we should be looking at a successful season next year with fans back. 

However... if he’s happy to set up a team like he did in the second half I wouldn’t lose sleep if he was dismissed this evening. 

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

However... if he’s happy to set up a team like he did in the second half I wouldn’t lose sleep if he was dismissed this evening. 

If he's any sense he'd quit rather than work for this hopeless  regime.

2000's era only combined entries (Pete Wild had two stints, for example), sorted by points per game (3 for a win). Data ripped from wiki. I included Andy Ritchie as he managed into the 2000's. I'm going to post up all my stats over the weekend, probably - see how much time I have.

image.png

2 hours ago, Matt said:

2000's era only combined entries (Pete Wild had two stints, for example), sorted by points per game (3 for a win). Data ripped from wiki. I included Andy Ritchie as he managed into the 2000's. I'm going to post up all my stats over the weekend, probably - see how much time I have.

image.png

Interesting. 

Bunn for example has a better PPG ratio than Kewell, and he got sacked just outside of the playoffs. Kewell hasn’t had us above 14th all season and is still in a job. 

Helps when the chairman is your former agent I guess. 

9 hours ago, Matt said:

image.png

BP be livid when he sees the stats say HK is better than Dino PPG!

BUT MUSCLE MAN WAVE HANDS AND ARMS ABOUT!!!

8 hours ago, League one forever said:

Interesting. 

Bunn for example has a better PPG ratio than Kewell, and he got sacked just outside of the playoffs. Kewell hasn’t had us above 14th all season and is still in a job. 

The ELF shouldn't let anyone with agent connections buy a club.

They are the real culprits in all this 

9 hours ago, League one forever said:

Interesting. 

Bunn had Iversen, Lang and Surridge...

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Bunn had Iversen, Lang and Surridge...

Kewell has had Bam Mac Zac and Rowe. Who have all scored more collectively than Lang and Surridge. 

Bunn- (who I know you don’t rate) had us 10+ plus places higher in league and got sacked. 

It seems if you play attractive but losing football (kewell and wellens) you get longer in the job than those that play pragmatic winning football. 

13 hours ago, Matt said:

image.png

Not that it matters that much but there's definitely something wrong with Robinson's record there!

I put up a stat yesterday about Kewell having won 0 points from the 7 games at home to the current bottom half of the league, which is unquestionably awful.  However I'd still give him the chance to correct the obvious flaws next season, because with the position the club is in we need to have a manager/head coach who can build on the positives that they've shown, rather than scrapping the previous season and starting again.

People (me included) have compared Kewell to Dino.  Neither are incompetent at this level nor are they world beaters, but they have starkly different styles.  Our problem is going from such a jarring change from one to the other.  Sack Kewell before next season and I'm sure that we'll do the same thing again, maybe worse because there's a fair chance that our turnover of players will leave us weaker too.

Paul Murray said on the Alert System podcast about Forest Green, Cheltenham, Crewe and Sheffield United keeping the core of their team together (including their manager) for a number of years which has allowed them to steady progress year on year.  I'd add Exeter to that list too who have made the playoff final in 3 of the last 4 years and last night had 10 academy graduates in their 18 man squad (6 started).  Forest Green have got a budget that can allow them to keep their best players at the level they're at, but the rest of the don't have big budgets for the leagues that they are in. 

That's what we need to aim for, because no manager at this level has a magic wand and can get a promotion straight away, unless they have a larger than average budget which we surely don't.

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Kewell has had Bam Mac Zac and Rowe. Who have all scored more collectively than Lang and Surridge. 

Bunn- (who I know you don’t rate) had us 10+ plus places higher in league and got sacked. 

It seems if you play attractive but losing football (kewell and wellens) you get longer in the job than those that play pragmatic winning football. 

Clarke, Edmundson, Gardner, Hunt, they all walk into the current side. Throw in Bunn's extensive coaching career and we are comparing chalk and cheese.

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Clarke, Edmundson, Gardner, Hunt, they all walk into the current side. Throw in Bunn's extensive coaching career and we are comparing chalk and cheese.

My my my eyrsey.

You’ve got a short memory. 😂

I remember you specifically slating Bunn’s lack of managerial experience in the game and I also remember you wanting him sacked after less than 10 games. 

Kewell has had two failures at league clubs, and is failing at his third. 

Yes. We are comparing chalk and cheese. 

#samplesize. 

My my my eyrsey.

I remember you specifically slating Bunn’s lack of managerial experience in the game and I also remember you wanting him sacked after less than 10 games. 

#samplesize. 

I think comparing seasons against seasons is futile as the conditions are never the same but yeah I didn't think Bunn was a good appointment and nothing that happened under his watch dispelled that.

Presumably Kewell got the Notts County job off the back of what he did at Crawley so I don't really get this failure narrative that is held against him.

15 minutes ago, League one forever said:

My my my eyrsey.

#samplesize. 

I wouldn't call Kewell a failure at Crawley, 14th in his full season is pretty much what I'd expect from them give or take.  They also started really poorly but he improved them a lot.

His 14 games at Notts County could be considered a failure, although decent lower league managers also failed there that season too, mainly due to a mental case of an owner.

34 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Not that it matters that much but there's definitely something wrong with Robinson's record there!

I put up a stat yesterday about Kewell having won 0 points from the 7 games at home to the current bottom half of the league, which is unquestionably awful.  However I'd still give him the chance to correct the obvious flaws next season, because with the position the club is in we need to have a manager/head coach who can build on the positives that they've shown, rather than scrapping the previous season and starting again.

People (me included) have compared Kewell to Dino.  Neither are incompetent at this level nor are they world beaters, but they have starkly different styles.  Our problem is going from such a jarring change from one to the other.  Sack Kewell before next season and I'm sure that we'll do the same thing again, maybe worse because there's a fair chance that our turnover of players will leave us weaker too.

Paul Murray said on the Alert System podcast about Forest Green, Cheltenham, Crewe and Sheffield United keeping the core of their team together (including their manager) for a number of years which has allowed them to steady progress year on year.  I'd add Exeter to that list too who have made the playoff final in 3 of the last 4 years and last night had 10 academy graduates in their 18 man squad (6 started).  Forest Green have got a budget that can allow them to keep their best players at the level they're at, but the rest of the don't have big budgets for the leagues that they are in. 

That's what we need to aim for, because no manager at this level has a magic wand and can get a promotion straight away, unless they have a larger than average budget which we surely don't.

Completely against the ALMOBO strategy though - pump in loads of sludge and hope you uncover a few diamonds.

1 hour ago, oafcmetty said:

Completely against the ALMOBO strategy though - pump in loads of sludge and hope you uncover a few diamonds.

Sadly true.

I suppose until there's another viable option we've just got to hope that the on-field performance massively out-performs the off-field performance.

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Interesting comment this. There was an article in the paper at the weekend by Jamie Carragher that was comparing the records of managers.

His point was that someone like Graham Potter at Brighton and Hasenhuttle at Southampton will be much more in demand by a premiership club than someone like Sean Dyche who has a far better record because of the style of football they play.

2 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Interesting comment this. There was an article in the paper at the weekend by Jamie Carragher that was comparing the records of managers.

His point was that someone like Graham Potter at Brighton and Hasenhuttle at Southampton will be much more in demand by a premiership club than someone like Sean Dyche who has a far better record because of the style of football they play.

I’d like to think most people would be in higher demand than Dyche just based on the fact he’s a monumental twat 

5 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

I suppose if there's next to no chance of reaching the upper reaches of the league and if it doesn't look like you're going down, then the quality of football that the fans watch does become more important.

7 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Always been the way mate. 

Dyche

Pulis

Allardyce. 

or 

Martinez 

Silva

We all want to watch attractive football. It’s a no brainier. But very few sides are intelligent or fit enough to play that way. And ultimately 9 times out of ten they fail. 

I just want winning football. I couldn’t care less how it comes. There is no glory in attractive losing football. 

I just want winning football. I couldn’t care less how it comes. There is no glory in attractive losing football. 

Still more fun to talk about in the pub afterwards or on the train home about great attacking play in a win rather than a ground out 1-0 victory.  

2 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Still more fun to talk about in the pub afterwards or on the train home about great attacking play in a win rather than a ground out 1-0 victory.  

Of course. 

But how many games have we won in that fashion in the last ten years? It’s a handful a season- if that. With the majority being beat or hammered. 

You can’t beat winning. However it comes. 

Archived