Harry Kewell Departure Watch

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Of course. 

But how many games have we won in that fashion in the last ten years? It’s a handful a season- if that. With the majority being beat or hammered. 

You can’t beat winning. However it comes. 

Well as I'm yet to see us win a league game this season I'd agree...

4 hours ago, League one forever said:

Kewell has had Bam Mac Zac and Rowe. Who have all scored more collectively than Lang and Surridge. 

Bunn- (who I know you don’t rate) had us 10+ plus places higher in league and got sacked. 

It seems if you play attractive but losing football (kewell and wellens) you get longer in the job than those that play pragmatic winning football. 

I don't see it as attractive football when the ball is constantly being given away.

6 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I don't see it as attractive football when the ball is constantly being given away.

We can't counter attack unless the opposition have most of the ball. Duh!

5 hours ago, League one forever said:

Bunn- (who I know you don’t rate) had us 10+ plus places higher in league and got sacked. 

We were 12th when Bunn was sacked, currently 17th with Kewell.  Not a massive difference and the Lemsagams have had 2+ extra years to do their damage to the club.

Don't get me wrong, I'd have happily kept Bunn at that stage because I thought he was doing a decent job all things considered.  Of course Wild did an excellent job in similar circumstances.

2+ years and we're on our 5th different head coach since Bunn.  Wild is the only one who has done better than him since then, although I believe that Kewell and Dino aren't significantly worse.  But a 20% chance that we'll hire an obviously better head coach is why I'd prefer it if we keep Kewell.

57 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

We were 12th when Bunn was sacked, currently 17th with Kewell.  Not a massive difference and the Lemsagams have had 2+ extra years to do their damage to the club.

Don't get me wrong, I'd have happily kept Bunn at that stage because I thought he was doing a decent job all things considered.  Of course Wild did an excellent job in similar circumstances.

2+ years and we're on our 5th different head coach since Bunn.  Wild is the only one who has done better than him since then, although I believe that Kewell and Dino aren't significantly worse.  But a 20% chance that we'll hire an obviously better head coach is why I'd prefer it if we keep Kewell.

It’s not just league placement Bosh. It’s his bizarre statements about conceding goals. His over rotation, his clever for being clever sake. It was refreshing for a while to see loads of goals. (Whilst still mainly losing.) Now it’s just annoying. 

The argument of who replaces him is valid to a point, but that’s more about ALMO’s woeful or non existent recruitment. It also shouldn’t mask the fact that we haven’t taken a single point at home from sides in the bottom half. That is abysmal. 

4 minutes ago, League one forever said:

It’s not just league placement Bosh. It’s his bizarre statements about conceding goals. His over rotation, his clever for being clever sake. It was refreshing for a while to see loads of goals. (Whilst still mainly losing.) Now it’s just annoying. 

The argument of who replaces him is valid to a point, but that’s more about ALMO’s woeful or non existent recruitment. It also shouldn’t mask the fact that we haven’t taken a single point at home from sides in the bottom half. That is abysmal. 

Yeah that's a fair point.

He needs to do reasonably well between now and the end of the season, hopefully showing that the team is progressing.

11 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Yeah that's a fair point.

He needs to do reasonably well between now and the end of the season, hopefully showing that the team is progressing.

Also - Kewell has to progress as a manager. I give him credit for trying to stick to a style of play that he believes in. However, by now he should have realised that he needs to modify his approach if he wants success. 

29 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Also - Kewell has to progress as a manager. I give him credit for trying to stick to a style of play that he believes in. However, by now he should have realised that he needs to modify his approach if he wants success. 

How do you define success?

8 hours ago, League one forever said:

Of course. 

But how many games have we won in that fashion in the last ten years? It’s a handful a season- if that. With the majority being beat or hammered. 

You can’t beat winning. However it comes. 

I suppose the point is lose 1-0 playing dross boring defensive football. Or lose 3-4 playing exciting end to end, I think most if not all prefer the later.

47 minutes ago, latics22 said:

I suppose the point is lose 1-0 playing dross boring defensive football. Or lose 3-4 playing exciting end to end, I think most if not all prefer the later.

Sadly, both get you relegated 

We need to be boring as hell and winning 1-0 by any means possible, I hate this losing malarkey 

1 hour ago, latics22 said:

If the point of football is just to entertain without any importance on the result. Then yes- give me a 4-3 over 1-0 defeat any day of the week. 

But. 

Results do matter, and losing football however entertaining,  is still losing losing football. 

6 hours ago, League one forever said:

Spot on. 

I don’t care how wins come. I just want to win more than we lose. 

Saturday's massive, lose this one and we'll be looking over our shoulders for the remainder of this weird season.

9 hours ago, League one forever said:

If the point of football is just to entertain without any importance on the result. Then yes- give me a 4-3 over 1-0 defeat any day of the week. 

But. 

Results do matter, and losing football however entertaining,  is still losing losing football. 

I obviously would rather win, with a dull 1-0. But we're used to losing to a boring 1-0 loss, hence why I prefer lose 4-3

Archived