new salary cap

Carry on like now and clubs will fold leaving players with no full time work.

The alternative is non league with many going part time.

A salary cap is the only way at lower league level IMO.

Its different in the EPL where big money talks.

8 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

The vast majority of clubs voted for it - if it’s unenforceable surely nothing to stop them simply refusing to pay above the caps 

Going bust will.

2 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Is this a temporary measure because of the financial impact of COVID? 

it is a sensible measure for the majority of clubs, particularly with the current pandemic.  Time to get back to something sustainable.  

1 hour ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

The vast majority of clubs voted for it - if it’s unenforceable surely nothing to stop them simply refusing to pay above the caps 

I guess you could get to players strikes, ultimately, but that is suicidal in the current environment and record numbers of  players out of work

Probably a good thing the PFA is having it's  wings clipped. 

Might not stop the PFA trying something though. 

L1 & L2  salary caps

Sensible but penalises Clubs with decent crowds 

Additional concern is that the gap between L1 and the Championship just got massively bigger

Championship in effect becomes PL2 

2 minutes ago, tGWB said:

L1 & L2  salary caps

Sensible but penalises Clubs with decent crowds 

Additional concern is that the gap between L1 and the Championship just got massively bigger

Championship in effect becomes PL2 

With parachute payments has this not effectively been the case for years? Few teams who go up recently do well in the Championship 

Parachute payments are another thing that need binning off - spread them across the leagues 

11 minutes ago, Lags said:

It'll give the players a bigger incentive to get out of Leagues one and Two. It was needed long before covid.

or not drop into L1 in the first place me thinks its a shot accross the bows of the PFA and agents 

Can see a legal challenge coming in here I also reckon clubs such as Salford will be able to find a way round it.

This will encourage players to not sign permanently for L1 and L2 clubs many will be happy taking significantly bigger salaries as a PL or Championship reserve who goes out on loan every year. 

15 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Can see a legal challenge coming in here I also reckon clubs such as Salford will be able to find a way round it.

This will encourage players to not sign permanently for L1 and L2 clubs many will be happy taking significantly bigger salaries as a PL or Championship reserve who goes out on loan every year. 

Good point.  May need squad limits applied at higher levels to stop the hoarding of players.

2 hours ago, Whitts said:

it is a sensible measure for the majority of clubs, particularly with the current pandemic.  Time to get back to something sustainable.  

Is it permanent, then?

I don't disagree by the way - I'm just out of the loop with all things football atm so trying to understand the timing.

21 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

With parachute payments has this not effectively been the case for years? Few teams who go up recently do well in the Championship 

Parachute payments are another thing that need binning off - spread them across the leagues 

Completely agree, but we may see parachute payments from the Championship now. If so it would be ridiculous, but no doubt the clubs will want it.

2 minutes ago, al_bro said:

Completely agree, but we may see parachute payments from the Championship now. If so it would be ridiculous, but no doubt the clubs will want it.

Absolutely - especially if clubs do a Sunderland and get relegated twice in quick succession - 2 lots of payments will just widen the gap further.  I was really hoping the COVID situation would force football to take a long hard look at itself but other than complaining they can’t use 5 subs indefinitely it doesn’t appear to have done so 

6 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Absolutely - especially if clubs do a Sunderland and get relegated twice in quick succession - 2 lots of payments will just widen the gap further.  I was really hoping the COVID situation would force football to take a long hard look at itself but other than complaining they can’t use 5 subs indefinitely it doesn’t appear to have done so 

If I remember correctly when Wolves were in L1 after two relegations on the trot they had something like £35m in parachute payments at their disposal. Astonishingly, they went straight back up to the Championship with a record points total. Doubtless the player budget was incidental.

1 minute ago, Worcester Owl said:

If I remember correctly when Wolves were in L1 after two relegations on the trot they had something like £35m in parachute payments at their disposal. Astonishingly, they went straight back up to the Championship with a record points total. Doubtless the player budget was incidental.

yep - it’s a disgrace to give such awards for failure. The payments should be spread equally amongst all clubs to retain the competition- Wycombe this year are an anomaly and I would wager now they will be bottom of the Championship this time next year 

10 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

yep - it’s a disgrace to give such awards for failure. The payments should be spread equally amongst all clubs to retain the competition- Wycombe this year are an anomaly and I would wager now they will be bottom of the Championship this time next year 

I'll take that bet. I reckon they'll be playing in League 1.

43 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

I'll take that bet. I reckon they'll be playing in League 1.

I have no idea what day it is these days never mind month - good point all being well the 21/22 season will have started this time next year and yes Wycombe will be in league 1 (probably)

Archived