Davis Keillor-Dunn signs

4 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

Don't let a global pandemic and the worst recession in many a  year, no football income since March, no real sign of when fans will be allowed into a game to create said income get in the way of a football vision from 14 months ago.

I am not defending the owner but really a bit of realism is required here.

Players are being signed and not "French lads" so far, a reported fee having been paid for one of them but of course this none of this sits well with the agenda lads.

The pandemic is the same for every club, and could actually benefit us with a salary cap we already operate under, whereas other clubs are miles away from. The extreme example was Sunderland who were spending 10x the salary cap.

So a golden chance.

I don't think the players we have signed, on a one year deal mainly, show any signs of a plan or much of progression. But the elephant in the room is the owners behaviour leading to a cliff edge drop in season ticket sales and that is entirely on him and his Board. Other clubs have managed to negotiate fans not claining or deferring season ticket repayments, whilst we have now got lower sales than Boreham Wood at the last count, which was nothing to do with the pandemic.

It could have been so very different. There are very few signs it will be. Lets hope some luck finds itself our way.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, singe said:

So a golden chance.

I don't think the players we have signed, on a one year deal mainly, show any signs of a plan or much of progression.

So it is a golden chance for just about every other team in the league as well isn't it? Interesting you use Sunderland as an example-one that is probably as far removed from us as you can get. We are not the only club who release much of their squad at the end of the season.

As for the players signed so far-we needed a goalie-signed. We needed a C Half-signed. Fullback-signed. Wide player-signed. Midfielder who has shown he can score a goal-signed. No plan there then. Let's see who else rocks up at BP who we don't need eh? Aah but they don't excite me response-we have little money. Just what standard of signing do you expect?

Owners behaviour- I really wish I could say sorted but it isn't so yes got to agree with the last part.

45 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

So it is a golden chance for just about every other team in the league as well isn't it? 

As Singe says, it gives clubs operating below the salary cap more chance to compete with the clubs who would have been operating above it. 

1 hour ago, whittles left foot said:

So it is a golden chance for just about every other team in the league as well isn't it? Interesting you use Sunderland as an example-one that is probably as far removed from us as you can get. We are not the only club who release much of their squad at the end of the season.

As for the players signed so far-we needed a goalie-signed. We needed a C Half-signed. Fullback-signed. Wide player-signed. Midfielder who has shown he can score a goal-signed. No plan there then. Let's see who else rocks up at BP who we don't need eh? Aah but they don't excite me response-we have little money. Just what standard of signing do you expect?

Owners behaviour- I really wish I could say sorted but it isn't so yes got to agree with the last part.

We had 5 players signed up, we needed every position, so your position by position we needed plan is a bit farcical.

Appreciate MM pointing out that I said the positive benefit to us. It levels the playing field massively, and there will be no better opportunity to go for promotion.

7 hours ago, al_bro said:

In every interview the player says "If the fans get together behind the team". It would seem that they have been told to get that statement into the interview somewhere. It's not coincidence.

Works both ways. The team firstly needs to play as though they actually give a shit about the shirt and the fans. Then the fans will come together behind the team. 

13 hours ago, wiseowl said:

REMOVED

Wow 😮 

What happened to healthy debate and respecting everyone’s right to an opinion?

You do yourself no favours with this type of post - your inflammatory and insulting language will not further the debate and merely undermines your credibility.

Whilst Whittle goes on name calling particularly using the term 'agenda lads' then he leaves himself open to this so called abuse, if your going to tag everyone who has a differing view to yourself as having an agenda then you really do leave yourself open  to retort, no surprise those defending him generally side with the clown running the show.

21 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Whilst Whittle goes on name calling particularly using the term 'agenda lads' then he leaves himself open to this so called abuse, if your going to tag everyone who has a differing view to yourself as having an agenda then you really do leave yourself open  to retort, no surprise those defending him generally side with the clown running the show.

So called abuse? What you mean like ‘you really are as thick as shite’ & ‘utter bullshit as per usual from a sycophant’?

and as for your comment about ‘defending’ him’.. not defending what he says in the slightest, merely expressing surprise at the vitriol directed at him. 

and as for siding ‘with the clown running the show’... not this poster.

29 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Fair point, I would hardly call "agenda boys" abuse but I take your point. 

I certainly haven't tagged everybody with a different point of view this, in fact I would say different opinion is good-this is a discussion board after all. Ironically the poster does fall under the tag mentioned, other than UB I could have written down who would bite at the tag.

Anyway if offence caused I apologise and will retire the phrase.

We seem to have a perceived polarisition of posters on here.

You're either a "happy clapper" or an "agenda lad" in some people's eyes and people labelled as such are quite rightly offended.

The problem has infiltrated society since, dare I say it, the early eighties when figures took their stances at opposite ends of the political spectrum.

Little or no good came from that and posters would be well minded to remember this when logging on.

We all have the same objectives and aspirations for our club though some see varied paths to achieve this but entrenching yourself on either side is counter-productive.

In fairness, its all about building a team that works and getting out of league 2 is surely possible without needing galacticos?! 

Many on here and at games slagged Rob Hunt off and yet he goes to Swindon and helps them win promotion, same could be said of loads of players that have passed through BP recently because it has become so toxic

Ultimately we do need to get behind the players and I actually feel encouraged that we are signing British players rather than random French 3rd tier wannabes (Genuinely no anti foreign sentiment, just don't think we need to be experimenting when we can pick up solid local lads like Grant, Rowe and Dearnley who can do the job) 

The term agenda lads was a response to a post I put down reminding us of what the owners plan (written in his own words) was for the football club. I can't say I take offence to the term agenda lads in the slightest if it was directed at me at all, Ive posted on this site for years and accept that the debate can be quite robust just slightly bemused what the agenda is.

I struggle to understand why whittles and a few others defend the owners on a few issues given the overwhelming evidence of the last 3 years that things have got worse since he rocked up.

What I don't doubt is like me he wants the best for Oldham Athletic. Its something we shouldn't all lose sight off including me btw as Im not exactly always full of sunshine.

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

The term agenda lads was a response to a post I put down reminding us of what the owners plan (written in his own words) was for the football club. I can't say I take offence to the term agenda lads in the slightest if it was directed at me at all, Ive posted on this site for years and accept that the debate can be quite robust just slightly bemused what the agenda is.

I struggle to understand why whittles and a few others defend the owners on a few issues given the overwhelming evidence of the last 3 years that things have got worse since he rocked up.

What I don't doubt is like me he wants the best for Oldham Athletic. Its something we shouldn't all lose sight off including me btw as Im not exactly always full of sunshine.

I think the term "agenda lads" was aimed at my post and i felt quite disappointed given the fact that i have been around OAFC for 50 years + and have absolutely no agenda other than wanting the best for the club. 

I did point out that there should have been some semblance of progress towards the objectives of the  plan (haven't seen any tbh) although i accept that there has been a pandemic during the period. The new signings on paper give some opportunity for cautious optimism however i stand by my view that there is a long time yet for the owner/ sporting director to bring in some signings of lower quality as seen in last couple of seasons. 

I genuinely would welcome any poster to point out where the club is making progress towards its objectives - I am always quite happy to be wrong if it means OAFC are doing better than maybe i give them credit.   

Having an agenda would imply pushing an opinion depsite being faced with facts that show something quite different.

I can't see how anyone critical of the way the club is being run can therefore be seen to have an agenda.

2 hours ago, unsworth blue said:

I think the term "agenda lads" was aimed at my post and i felt quite disappointed given the fact that i have been around OAFC for 50 years + and have absolutely no agenda other than wanting the best for the club. 

I did point out that there should have been some semblance of progress towards the objectives of the  plan (haven't seen any tbh) although i accept that there has been a pandemic during the period. The new signings on paper give some opportunity for cautious optimism however i stand by my view that there is a long time yet for the owner/ sporting director to bring in some signings of lower quality as seen in last couple of seasons. 

I genuinely would welcome any poster to point out where the club is making progress towards its objectives - I am always quite happy to be wrong if it means OAFC are doing better than maybe i give them credit.   

Agreed. If the signings are better this season, it still doesn't mean it's the right approach. 

6 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

😂😂😂😂 

Oh the irony. 

6 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Wow 😮 

What happened to healthy debate and respecting everyone’s right to an opinion?

You do yourself no favours with this type of post - your inflammatory and insulting language will not further the debate and merely undermines your credibility.

Aye, he has penchant for posting his very well known view, and when challenged (sometimes very articulately) he just replies with highly patronising and personal remarks. 

Shame really. As he’s clearly an intelligent bloke. 

The club under the current regime as it's called, is merely on the same trajectory our club as been on for over 2 decades. With the advent of social media the power to influence more people as never been greater and whether you like it or not, it as played it's part in lower crowds at BP.  We all like to think we're independent minds and influenced very little in forming opinion, maybe we are to degree's but certainly not immune. Of course being bored shitless at matches doesn't help but we are like the fisherman sat on that rain swept bank, wondering why he's there on his 3rd blank on the trot. Then a Fulham happens or the fisherman bags a 3 inch Perch and we realise why we've stuck it out.

Now all we hear and see is Al's a clown along with his brother and red fleece in tow. Not a penny more and I'll not go again whilst the regimes in place. It does influence. The same people wanting a better calibre of footballer and ridicule the new players coming in even before they've kicked a ball for the club. Are we not better than this Latics fans?, Have we not always followed that small selling club in the shadow of Manchester?. 

I urge everyone to put aside their differences and get behind our club. Owners come and go, they always have. We all want...no crave a little success to cheer on a Saturday afternoon. Not attending and backing the players to try that ounce more will not achieve our goals.

15 minutes ago, Lags said:

The club under the current regime as it's called, is merely on the same trajectory our club as been on for over 2 decades. With the advent of social media the power to influence more people as never been greater and whether you like it or not, it as played it's part in lower crowds at BP.  We all like to think we're independent minds and influenced very little in forming opinion, maybe we are to degree's but certainly not immune. Of course being bored shitless at matches doesn't help but we are like the fisherman sat on that rain swept bank, wondering why he's there on his 3rd blank on the trot. Then a Fulham happens or the fisherman bags a 3 inch Perch and we realise why we've stuck it out.

Now all we hear and see is Al's a clown along with his brother and red fleece in tow. Not a penny more and I'll not go again whilst the regimes in place. It does influence. The same people wanting a better calibre of footballer and ridicule the new players coming in even before they've kicked a ball for the club. Are we not better than this Latics fans?, Have we not always followed that small selling club in the shadow of Manchester?. 

I urge everyone to put aside their differences and get behind our club. Owners come and go, they always have. We all want...no crave a little success to cheer on a Saturday afternoon. Not attending and backing the players to try that ounce more will not achieve our goals.

we don’t agree on most things - but well put 

1 hour ago, Lags said:

Agree with the sentiments in general but i for one can't stand the paranoia seemingly emanating from the club's leadership that makes it even less enjoyable attending games than merely just turning up like i always have and supporting the club irrespective of which players we can put out. I will always back any player who pulls on the shirt as long as he puts 100% commitment into it (can't always be confident of this but i am kind by and large).  It is not the status of the club that offends, it is the state of it!!  

The North Stand closure, the bouncers on the OEC, kicking out an ex-employee from the North stand for nothing, the claims that made to GMP about fraud and the subsequent disappearance of this from News once GMP find nothing to investigate, the signing of certain players for no footballing reason (Vera and Zeus 2nd time round), the constant turnover of staff, loads of bizarre signings where players never even get to the team, industrial tribunal after industrial tribunal, club trying to marginalise any "opposition" .................all non-football issues that just serve to alienate an already disenchanted public and make it less attractive for supporters to go and support the regime (not the team). The open forum sadly opened a lot of eyes as to what the leaders think of actually running a professional football club and showed contempt for us the lifeblood of the club.  

The club is losing its hard core supporters now, previously unloseable fans have voted with their feet and stopped coming, the crowds were down by 25% at home and what's the club's reaction? Denial .....nothing to do with the club, the true fans will come back for big games .....bollocks.  Most of the fans i know who are not renewing are supporters aged 50+ who have watched the club since the 70s and finally lost the will to support the regime due to a combination of factors in my paragraph above. Its not the football that's driving people away, its the awful atmosphere around the club permeated by an increasingly paranoid leadership 

It doesn't have to be like this but it is showing signs of getting worse, not improving. The Trust break-up i think is also symptomatic of worsening relations and lack of trust in the club, not improving as the Trust Board appeared to believe in July.   

14 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

Agree with the sentiments in general but i for one can't stand the paranoia seemingly emanating from the club's leadership that makes it even less enjoyable attending games than merely just turning up like i always have and supporting the club irrespective of which players we can put out. I will always back any player who pulls on the shirt as long as he puts 100% commitment into it (can't always be confident of this but i am kind by and large).  It is not the status of the club that offends, it is the state of it!!  

The North Stand closure, the bouncers on the OEC, kicking out an ex-employee from the North stand for nothing, the claims that made to GMP about fraud and the subsequent disappearance of this from News once GMP find nothing to investigate, the signing of certain players for no footballing reason (Vera and Zeus 2nd time round), the constant turnover of staff, loads of bizarre signings where players never even get to the team, industrial tribunal after industrial tribunal, club trying to marginalise any "opposition" .................all non-football issues that just serve to alienate an already disenchanted public and make it less attractive for supporters to go and support the regime (not the team). The open forum sadly opened a lot of eyes as to what the leaders think of actually running a professional football club and showed contempt for us the lifeblood of the club.  

The club is losing its hard core supporters now, previously unloseable fans have voted with their feet and stopped coming, the crowds were down by 25% at home and what's the club's reaction? Denial .....nothing to do with the club, the true fans will come back for big games .....bollocks.  Most of the fans i know who are not renewing are supporters aged 50+ who have watched the club since the 70s and finally lost the will to support the regime due to a combination of factors in my paragraph above. Its not the football that's driving people away, its the awful atmosphere around the club permeated by an increasingly paranoid leadership 

It doesn't have to be like this but it is showing signs of getting worse, not improving. The Trust break-up i think is also symptomatic of worsening relations and lack of trust in the club, not improving as the Trust Board appeared to believe in July.   

brilliant and upsetting in equal measure - sums up how I feel. I’m was taken to my first game at 7 years old by my new dad (stepdad but easily got the full time job) I think it was a 1-1 draw with Sheff Utd. For the next 20 years myself my dad and my grandad went and sat together - my dad lost all interest a few years ago he’d rather go for walks with my mum and my grandad goes out of habit / he openly says he hates it but it gets him out of my grans hair for a few hours. My last game was March 19 against Swindon I think - I don’t have an agenda I’m not boycotting but I just find driving an 80 mile trip to BP and spending money on something that is anything but entertaining beyond me 

1 hour ago, unsworth blue said:

Shame I can only upboat this post once. 

The people running our football club don't care about any of us.

46 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Shame I can only upboat this post once. 

The people running our football club don't care about any of us.

I think that’s a fair point. Perfectly Illustrated by getting your players to tell fans to get the behind the team. On the surface it seems reasonable, but you just know Baz has told them to do it. Which it makes it very hollow. They want our backing, but actions speak louder than words. 

Archived