20/21 Predictions

We seriously need to figure out how to make fan ownership work, and get off this merry go round - constantly rotating between shysters, crooks and frauds. Given the frankly staggering numbers of folks shelling out for season tickets and ifollow passes, I find it hard to believe we couldn't come up with a business model that helps us move in the right direction. When tinpot clubs like Exeter are fan owned and regularly up near the top of the league, why can't we do it?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, oafcmetty said:

We seriously need to figure out how to make fan ownership work, and get off this merry go round - constantly rotating between shysters, crooks and frauds. Given the frankly staggering numbers of folks shelling out for season tickets and ifollow passes, I find it hard to believe we couldn't come up with a business model that helps us move in the right direction. When tinpot clubs like Exeter are fan owned and regularly up near the top of the league, why can't we do it?

Because the body that would lead something like that re the trust. Would rather get in bed with the owner. 

2 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Because the body that would lead something like that re the trust. Would rather get in bed with the owner. 

"There are many ways of going forward, but only one way of standing still."

Roosevelt?

1 hour ago, oafcmetty said:

See this is the thing is people will buy match tickets because they want to be fans they don't want to be owners too it's to much hassle both financially and interms of actual stress

We want to be owners we'd have to put our ha0nds in our pockets. 

Abdallah would probably want some of his money back probably around 7 figures just to but the club.

Then Blitz wants £6million for the land. 

The last submitted P%L showed we lost £600K for the year. Split that between say circa 3000 fans that's £200 a fan it looks plausible. However you would have to do it every year. On top of what people are paying out for season tickets match tickets and merchandise.

So fag maths I'd estimate

£2million to buy the club (complete ball park estimate not scientific but Abdallah would want some of his money so maybe not unrealistic)

£6million for the ground

£600k for over 5 years to cover the losses =£3 million

So we would need to raise £11 million.

Our average attendance last season was 3434 £11million. split between them is £3203.26 per fan. How many of us have got a spare 3 and abit grand lying about. Let's also factor in the fact that means we would still have to buy season tickets match tickets and merchandise. Let's also factor in the fact that Oldham is one of the most deprived parts of the UK. It looks like a non starter financially. Let alone I'd buy some miracle we could find a way to raise money between the fanbase you would imagine that most people would want something back if not financial then they would want a say in how the football club is run which in itself would cause all kinds of politics and arguments.

When you look at all that fan ownership looks highly unlikely to not only happen but secondly work.

The good news is though that despite everything their are still rich men who have access to that kind of money who want to buy football clubs we just have to hope we find one or a group of them who are competent.

I've said it before, our biggest problem is Blitz, he and his cronies were, and are, only in it to make a profit and don't give a sh*t about Latics and its fan base. 

If 1 person owned the ground and the club and wanted out they would not be asking for £6m-£8m 

12 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

See this is the thing is people will buy match tickets because they want to be fans they don't want to be owners too it's to much hassle both financially and interms of actual stress

We want to be owners we'd have to put our ha0nds in our pockets. 

Abdallah would probably want some of his money back probably around 7 figures just to but the club.

Then Blitz wants £6million for the land. 

The last submitted P%L showed we lost £600K for the year. Split that between say circa 3000 fans that's £200 a fan it looks plausible. However you would have to do it every year. On top of what people are paying out for season tickets match tickets and merchandise.

So fag maths I'd estimate

£2million to buy the club (complete ball park estimate not scientific but Abdallah would want some of his money so maybe not unrealistic)

£6million for the ground

So we would need to raise £11 million.

Our average attendance last season was 3434 £11million. split between them is £3203.26 per fan. How many of us have got a spare 3 and abit grand lying about. Let's also factor in the fact that means we would still have to buy season tickets match tickets and merchandise. Let's also factor in the fact that Oldham is one of the most deprived parts of the UK. It looks like a non starter financially. Let alone I'd buy some miracle we could find a way to raise money between the fanbase you would imagine that most people would want something back if not financial then they would want a say in how the football club is run which in itself would cause all kinds of politics and arguments.

When you look at all that fan ownership looks highly unlikely to not only happen but secondly work.

The good news is though that despite everything their are still rich men who have access to that kind of money who want to buy football clubs we just have to hope we find one or a group of them who are competent.

I don't think it's realistic that it'd be big bang - we'd likely need to work out an arrangement with the landlord in the first instance. And I'd argue that the stupid level of losses could be managed down by having a decent strategy and at least some idea of how to execute on a plan. I know Oldham as an area isn't swimming in cash, but neither is south devon. And our wider fanbase, including all those who no longer attend, must be 3 or 4 times theres - if they can sustain a fan owned club, why can't we?

12 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

I've said it before, our biggest problem is Blitz, he and his cronies were, and are, only in it to make a profit and don't give a sh*t about Latics and its fan base. 

If 1 person owned the ground and the club and wanted out they would not be asking for £6m-£8m 

I still think our biggest problem is the owner and his brother, but I have to say your assessment of Blitz is pretty much where I am at...

3 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

I don't think it's realistic that it'd be big bang - we'd likely need to work out an arrangement with the landlord in the first instance. And I'd argue that the stupid level of losses could be managed down by having a decent strategy and at least some idea of how to execute on a plan. I know Oldham as an area isn't swimming in cash, but neither is south devon. And our wider fanbase, including all those who no longer attend, must be 3 or 4 times theres - if they can sustain a fan owned club, why can't we?

Couldn’t agree more about the losses. They aren’t written in stone, they’re there because we’ve not had anyone capable of running the club properly or engaging with the fans to increase ticket/merchandise sales. 

It’s feasible that a fan led ownership could generate a bigger budget with increased season tickets etc. The current set up is virtually the opposite of fan owned, they hold fans in such contempt they’re fan repellers. 

On 1/15/2021 at 8:15 PM, LightDN123 said:

I’d back push the boundary to do something. 

The fan base of Oldham is lacking natural leaders to front something like this. Someone (or a group) to set the vision, sell the dream and galvanise fans. The trust doesn’t have any natural leaders.

Problem is the route to fan ownership will only open up in certain circumstances. There is no such route which is obviously apparent right now. It never happens by fans making a commercial offer to buy the club in question rather is usually a case of fans having to take over as a last resort or an owner which buys into the concept of fan ownership and wants to make it happen themselves over time as they move away from the club (this happens with businesses regularly which become employee owned). Our current owner has no interest in that nor did the last one, so that’s a none starter. 

as I say there’s no clear cut route to fan ownership here as far as I can see 

• 3 months later...
On 8/22/2020 at 8:38 AM, Lee Sinnott said:

Now we have our start date and fixtures, what are everyone's predictions for the upcoming season? Please feel free to add anything else you feel is relevant...

Where will we finish? 15th-20th

POTS - From current bunch, McAleny. But probably a loan signing we haven't brought in yet.

Emerging star - Kane Badby.

Will Harry Kewell be here at the end of the season? Absolutely not.

Will Abdallah still be here? Nope

Biggest pissboil of the season - losing at home to Harrogate Town on Boxing Day.

Promoted from L2 - Bolton, Carlisle & Mansfield.

Relegated from L2 - Stevenage & Morecambe.

With one game to go, how are your forecasts doing? A number of people, including me, forecast Stevenage and Morecambe to be relegated!

Team                     Pts

1 Cheltenham          79

2 Cambridge           77

3 Bolton                   76

4 Morecambe          75

5 Newport               72

6 Tranmere              72

7 Forest Green         70

8 Exeter                   69

9 Salford                  68

15 Stevenage          57

16 Harrogate           57

17 Mansfield            55

18 Oldham               54

19 Walsall                52

20 Colchester         50

21 Barrow                49

22 Scunthorpe        48

23 Southend           44

24 Grimsby              43

On 1/16/2021 at 10:28 AM, oafcmetty said:

Time to get rooting in those ashes in the hope of finding a Phoenix 

On 1/15/2021 at 10:05 PM, GlossopLatic said:

£6million for the ground

So we would need to raise £11 million

Even if someone would pay £6m for the ground, I reckon that the Main Stand and possibly the Chaddy End would need serious renovation/replacing. The cost of that alone would probably run into millions. 

😱

Biggest pissboil of the season - losing at home to Harrogate Town on Boxing Day.

What a sorry state of affairs that losing at home to Harrogate Town has not been the biggest disaster of the season...

Now we have our start date and fixtures, what are everyone's predictions for the upcoming season? Please feel free to add anything else you feel is relevant...

Where will we finish? 15th-20th - YAY!

POTS - From current bunch, McAleny. But probably a loan signing we haven't brought in yet. - YAY

Emerging star - Kane Badby. - WHO

Will Harry Kewell be here at the end of the season? Absolutely not. - YAY 

Will Abdallah still be here? Nope - FFS

Biggest pissboil of the season - losing at home to Harrogate Town on Boxing Day. - NOT EVEN CLOSE

Promoted from L2 - Bolton, Carlisle & Mansfield. - 1 OUT OF 3

Relegated from L2 - Stevenage & Morecambe. - DISGRACEFUL AND APOLOGIES TO ALL BORO & SHRIMPS

On 8/22/2020 at 9:18 AM, Chaddyexile84 said:

Where will we finish? 19th - 1 away

POTS - McAleney - sticking with that 

Emerging star - Luamba - Nope 

Will Harry Kewell be here at the end of the season? I don’t think he’ll be here at Christmas - got longer than I expected 

Will Abdallah still be here? Yes - Unfortunately so 

Biggest pissboil of the season - Mo taking caretaker charge - roll over to next season 

Promoted from L2 - Bradford, Exeter, Cheltenham, Tranmere (think Bolton may well implode financially again) 1 out of 4 so far 

Relegated from L2 - Stevenage & Morecambe. - Nope 

On 5/4/2021 at 8:09 AM, TheBigDog said:

Even if someone would pay £6m for the ground, I reckon that the Main Stand and possibly the Chaddy End would need serious renovation/replacing. The cost of that alone would probably run into millions. 

😱

Aye. 

Corney kept telling us for years the main stand was on the brink of being condemned. 

Years later. . The blue blinds are still clinging on through the murky frosted glass and the North stand is shut on safety grounds. 

Thanks for the memories. 

Where will we finish? 16th - not far off.

POTS - McAleny - decent guess I suppose, Bahamboula would be mine but he wasn't here at the time.

Emerging star - Whelan - there's been a twinkle at the end maybe?!  If we're talking about first team players then maybe DKD, youth players then Vaughan deserves a mention.

Will Harry Kewell be here at the end of the season? Regardless of how he does, no. - first bit debatable, second bit correct.

Will Abdallah still be here? Sadly yes. - no debating either part of that answer!

Biggest pissboil of the season - Barry proudly announcing the club's new 5 year plan for promotion to League One after drawing upon the new CEO's method at his previous club, ending with the statement (without a hint of irony) "it worked for Bury, now it'll work for us!" - I suppose Barry leaving is better than the prediction.  Although is no plan better than a bad plan?

Promoted from L2 - Salford, Forest Green, Cheltenham, Bolton - (2, maybe 3, out of 4).

Relegated from L2 - Southend, Barrow. - (1 out of 2)

On 8/24/2020 at 12:55 PM, GlossopLatic said:

Where will we finish? 18th

POTS - Piergianni

Emerging star - Loan youngster currently not signed or Zak Dearnley

Will Harry Kewell be here at the end of the season? Gone by Bonfire night

Will Abdallah still be here? Yes :petesake:

Biggest pissboil of the season - A potential takeover with promising aspirations falling through at the last minute because Abdallah did something twattish.

Promoted from L2 - Exeter, Bolton, Bradford, FGR

Relegated from L2 - Stevenage and Harrogate.

Well I got 18th bang on. POTS and emerging star I didn't get. Kewell lasted longer than expected but as expected left. Abdallah is sadly still here. Pissboil, well fuck knows but that was always a hard shout you knew he'd do something twattish. 1 out of 4 promoted (possibly 2) 0 out of 2 for relegation.

8 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

So what was the 'biggest pissboil' of the season. I'd say the departure of the main sponsors should have generated more noise than anything on the pitch. 

Doggate

Evans Twitter Gate

Sponsors Leaving

Staff leaving amidst bullying accusations (Jamie and Barry’s comments about that)

Morecambe away at the start of the season 

“Everybody concedes in League 2”

One or all of the above 

Archived