Callum Whelan signs

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Lags said:

Why not?, yes with us 

The player recruitment this year so far seems far better structured, as it stands with the new season upon us we barely have a first 11 plus subs. I know other clubs will be in the same boat as us but the same standard of players need to be continued. I am starting to soften my stance against the owner, who knows if he just goes the extra yard it may entice me back to BP. 

6 minutes ago, disjointed said:

The player recruitment this year so far seems far better structured, as it stands with the new season upon us we barely have a first 11 plus subs. I know other clubs will be in the same boat as us but the same standard of players need to be continued. I am starting to soften my stance against the owner, who knows if he just goes the extra yard it may entice me back to BP. 

Fuck that.  I'll be returning once we start getting results.  

43 minutes ago, Lags said:

Why not?, yes with us 

Better get signing some more players then. :lol:

While Ive expressed a reservation about giving him a 2 year deal above as he hasn't actually played any league football yet over a period of time.

However..

I like the idea of us signing a young lad released by a bigger club who has a point to prove. Its the most successful recruitment philosophy in the clubs history along with signing a few senior players no longer wanted by other clubs who we could squeeze the last ounces of football out of. If our club was to have a "philosophy" then this should be it.

This should be the Oldham way.

1 hour ago, OneSizeFitz said:

Was pretty anonymous first-half, but improved in the second. Looks tidy. 

I looked closely at his basic skills and attitude, IMO he's got what it takes to go higher.

I wouldn’t be getting too excited judging by today’s performance. I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt though as he comes with quite high reviews. The trialist who played alongside him in midfield impressed me a lot more. I also think Fage is a promising centre midfielder too so time will tell.

Just now, Clubfootkilkenny said:

I wouldn’t be getting too excited judging by today’s performance. I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt though as he comes with quite high reviews. The trialist who played alongside him in midfield impressed me a lot more. I also think Fage is a promising centre midfielder too so time will tell.

I judged him from what I saw and I've seen players with his skills and industry playing at at higher level, that's my yardstick, I think I'm right, hope so anyway. A 2 year contract suggests to me Kewell feels the same.

Just now, BP1960 said:

I judged him from what I saw and I've seen players with his skills and industry playing at a higher level, that's my yardstick, I think I'm right, hope so anyway. A 2 year contract suggests to me Kewell feels the same.

3 minutes ago, Clubfootkilkenny said:

BP, as an ex scout, what are your thoughts on Hamer? If you don’t mind me asking.

Looked as if a transfer is in the offing, he will improve more by playing in an higher division IMO.

He played like that all last season too, have Brentford been chasing him for a while?  It may be my untrained eye but his inability to find a blue shirt is bordering on embarrassing. I also don’t think he has a position yet, either looks like a centre half playing at full back or full back playing at centre half to me. I’m astonished that any club above the conference would be interested. 

9 minutes ago, Clubfootkilkenny said:

He played like that all last season too, have Brentford been chasing him for a while?  It may be my untrained eye but his inability to find a blue shirt is bordering on embarrassing. I also don’t think he has a position yet, either looks like a centre half playing at full back or full back playing at centre half to me. I’m astonished that any club above the conference would be interested. 

Still young,  Neal Eardley used to hit a lot of passes astray and he improved to have a good career higher.

2 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Still young,  Neal Eardley used to hit a lot of passes astray and he improved to have a good career higher.

Good point. I used to get frustrated by him also but he’s turned into my fave ever full back in a Latics shirt.  I’m not having that Hamer is in the same league technically as him though. Two totally different players. I mean, Jombati showed more in 20 minutes going forward today than Hamer has showed in two seasons. 
And before we get the ‘full backs should be definitively solid first’ argument, in the modern day game, the full backs are one of your most attacking outlets. 

1 minute ago, Clubfootkilkenny said:

Good point. I used to get frustrated by him also but he’s turned into my fave ever full back in a Latics shirt.  I’m not having that Hamer is in the same league technically as him though. Two totally different players. I mean, Jombati showed more in 20 minutes going forward today than Hamer has showed in two seasons. 
And before we get the ‘full backs should be definitively solid first’ argument, in the modern day game, the full backs are one of your most attacking outlets. 

Another plus for Hamer he's a tough nut who's  hardly ever injured, managers like that in their squad.

As for Jombati he did look better at right back, but some of his clearances were hurried and scratchy.

My main concern is a tall strong centre back alongside Pidge is a must, the  goal from a corner kick highlighted that and in this division teams will take full advantage.

2 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Another plus for Hamer he's a tough nut who's  hardly ever injured, managers like that in their squad.

As for Jombati he did look better at right back, but some of his clearances were hurried and scratchy.

My main concern is a tall strong centre back alongside Pidge is a must, the  goal from a corner kick highlighted that and in this division teams will take full advantage.

Again, another good point. Hamer is always fit and gives 100% but I just think you need a bit about you technically if you are going to make it championship or above.

yeah, I wasn’t comfortable with Jombati at centre half either. Ironically, after an influx of defenders and attackers, the only position I was satisfied after today was midfield. That’s presuming we sign the trialist though. 

22 minutes ago, Clubfootkilkenny said:

Again, another good point. Hamer is always fit and gives 100% but I just think you need a bit about you technically if you are going to make it championship or above.

yeah, I wasn’t comfortable with Jombati at centre half either. Ironically, after an influx of defenders and attackers, the only position I was satisfied after today was midfield. That’s presuming we sign the trialist though. 

I've seen a lot of players not technically good in the  top flight some might say Vinny Jones was one, it's a team game and most need a hard man. I think he will improve his distribution though as players at a higher level generally make themselves more available to receive the ball in space,

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

I've seen a lot of players not technically good in the  top flight some might say Vinny Jones was one, it's a team game and most  needs a hard man. I think he will improve his distribution though as players at a higher level generally make themselves more available to receive the ball in space,

I don’t think vinny Jones is the best example. The games changed since then and i don’t think Hamer is a hard man, nor do I think Brentford would be looking for that. 
I genuinely think a lot of transfers these days, especially with the moneyball method Brentford employ, is based on stats. I think a lot of the interest comes from seeing the fact he’s played many games at such a young age. The cynical side of me thinks that once they scout him in the flesh, they see he’s not good enough. Hence the reason no concrete offers have been made/accepted. 

3 minutes ago, Clubfootkilkenny said:

I don’t think vinny Jones is the best example. The games changed since then and i don’t think Hamer is a hard man, nor do I think Brentford would be looking for that. 
I genuinely think a lot of transfers these days, especially with the moneyball method Brentford employ, is based on stats. I think a lot of the interest comes from seeing the fact he’s played many games at such a young age. The cynical side of me thinks that once they scout him in the flesh, they see he’s not good enough. Hence the reason no concrete offers have been made/accepted. 

Time will tell, I could well be wrong in my assessment, but hope I'm not and a move higher would be good for both him and the club financially.

5 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Time will tell, I could well be wrong in my assessment, but hope I'm not and a move higher would be good for both him and the club financially.

Fair doos. Don’t always agree with your views but I must admit you’ve pointed out some points about him I over-looked. I’d still sell him at the first opportunity though and use the money to pay Rowe and Wheater what they are owed. Those two in that team today and I’d be very excited. 

9 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I just hope we haven't signed another keeper, Lawlor, who's as shaky in the air as Woods.

On 8/29/2020 at 9:39 AM, Bristolatic said:

I believe Milovanovic is from Shaw, or somewhere round there.

There was a family of that name on Crete St Estate when I was a kid, went to school with a couple of them, think one lives Uppermill way and one Moorside so I'm presuming that's the link if he's from Oldham.

10 minutes ago, inspectormorose said:

There was a family of that name on Crete St Estate when I was a kid, went to school with a couple of them, think one lives Uppermill way and one Moorside so I'm presuming that's the link if he's from Oldham.

Crete Street - Jesus that’s a blast from the past 

Archived