Oldham v Carlisle

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Anyone give a decent analysis of the game yesterday ? 

One swallow doesn’t make a summer but promising.  Yes we looked threadbare and sluggish at times but it’s first competitive game.  More positives than negatives though -

Lawlor - didn’t have to do too much so untested still for me.  Very vocal and a good kick on him.

Hamer - played better than previous preseason games but still 1 of 2 weak links for me.  I’d prefer Jombati at RB and cash in on Hamer

Piergianni - no-nonsense centre half and did what was needed with no fuss. Not very vocal. Best of what we have and would prefer Wheater next to him.  If Wheater is off then we need 2 decent centre halves.

Jombati - prefer him at RB but similar to Piergianni ie did what needed and does have pace.  Prefer him though to attack, which he cannot do in the middle.

CBJ - went unnoticed for me but again like the rest of defence, they did what was needed and seemed comfortable and confident.  Then again it was Carlisle and no disrespect to Carlisle, their attackers were woeful.  I’d try in alongside Piergianni, Jombati at RB and Barnett at LB.

Fage - I’ll get this over with quickly.  Weakest player in the team.  Looked like he won a raffle; cannot pass, zero position and just ran around.  Was always in or around play but did nothing without the ball and even less with it.   Need a decent CM to partner Garrity & Whelan or we’ll be struggling and will lose the potency of our attack if always losing the ball.

Garrity - for a player from non-league who’s less than a season at this level, I‘m impressed.  Works hard defending and attacking.  Industrious and compliments Whelan well.  Yes he was left unmarked for our first goal but he found the space and scored.  Understand we may have an option to sign permanently in January.  Reassuring if we have and he continues the way he’s played last two games.

Whelan - heard good things about him previously and showed signs.  He was always wanting the ball and whilst he didn’t show how creative he can be, he played simple balls that kept our attacking flow moving and never held up our play.  Carlisle couldn’t contain us and credit to Whelan & Garrity for allowing our front three to constantly attack.

DKD, Grant & McAleny - I’ve grouped all three together again because they all work great together and I think this is the best attack line we’ve had for many a season.  Imagine replacing Fage for Johnny Smith and it could have easily been 6 or 7 goals yesterday.  It will be hard for Dearnley and Rowe to break into the team at moment.

Overall - very promising especially as it was our first competitive game.  We need 2 or 3 additions still or we’ll struggle against the stronger L2 times but based on this XI playing together, we’ll easily make mid-table or even a touch of playoffs.  Need those 2 or 3 additions in defence and midfield to be a promotion chasing team.  Kewell sounded like he did his homework on Carlisle - on our head coach, again too early but he’s quietly confident about his ability and I think he could do well for us.

Last thing to say - Lemsagams.  After 2 seasons of signing third rate foreigners who struggled with physicality of lower league football, they’ve finally signed domestic lower league hungry players who either have experience or a point to prove.  Quelle surprise that they can compete at this level and show the hunger or demonstrate that they want to prove a point on the field.  Hopefully this permanently ends the influx of inferior overseas players and we build around the players we’ve got with other lower league battlers or loanees from above who can survive the physical side of our league.  Desperately need 2 central defenders, a CDM and another creative midfielder.  Also a target man who could hold up play to change it around.  Madness we have two players out of favour that could accommodate two of those roles in  Rowe and Wheater - even McCann who was let go or Saul that we didn’t sign...  All these we’re within our grasp and that would have given us a decent squad.

Apparently Roy said 2-3 new players in next week.  If that’s true then great - we need more of a Garrity rather than a Maouche though.

6 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

One swallow doesn’t make a summer but promising.  Yes we looked threadbare and sluggish at times but it’s first competitive game.  More positives than negatives though -

Lawlor - didn’t have to do too much so untested still for me.  Very vocal and a good kick on.

Hamer - played better than previous preseason games but still 1 of 2 weak links for me.  I’d prefer Jombati at RB and cash in on Hamer

Piergianni - no-nonsense centre half and did what was needed with no fuss. Not very vocal. Best of what we have and would prefer Wheater next to him.  If Wheater is off then we need 2 decent centre halves.

Jombati - prefer him at RB but similar to Piergianni ie did what needed and does have pace.  Prefer him though to attack, which he cannot do in the middle.

CBJ - went unnoticed for me but again like the rest of defence, they did what was needed and seemed comfortable and confident.  Then again it was Carlisle and no disrespect to Carlisle, their attackers were woeful.  I’d try in alongside Piergianni, Jombati at RB and Barnett at LB.

Fage - I’ll get this over with quickly.  Weakest player in the team.  Looked like he won a raffle; cannot pass, zero position and just ran around.  Was always in or around play but did nothing without the ball and even less with it.   Need a decent CM to partner Garrity & Whelan or we’ll be struggling and will lose the potency of our attack if always losing the ball.

Garrity - for a load from non-league who’s less than a season at this level, I, impressed.  Works hard defending and attacking.  Industrious and compliments Whelan well.  Yes he was left unmarked for our first goal but he found the space and scored.  Understand we may have an option to sign permanently in January.  Reassuring if we have and he continues the way he’s played last two games.

Whelan - heard good things about him.  He was always wanting the ball and whilst he didn’t show how creative he can be, he played simple balls that kept our attacking flow moving and never held up our play.  Carlisle couldn’t contain us and credit to Whelan & Garrity for allowing our front three to constantly attack.

DKD, Grant & McAleny - I’ve grouped all three together again because they all work great together and I think this is the best attack line we’ve had for many a season.  Imagine replacing Fage for Johnny Smith and it could have easily been 6 or 7 goals yesterday.  It will be hard for Dearnley and Rowe to break into the team at moment.

Overall - very promising especially as it was our first competitive game.  We need 2 or 3 additions still or we’ll struggle against the stronger L2 times but based on this XI playing together, well easily make mid-table or even a touch of playoffs.  Need those 2 or 3 additions in defence and midfield to be a promotion chasing team.  Kewell sounded like he did his homework on Carlisle - again too early but he’s quietly confident about his ability and I think he could do well for us.

Last thing to say - Lemsagams.  After 2 seasons of signing third rate foreigners who struggled with physicality of lower league football, they’ve finally signed domestic lower league hungry players who either have experience or a point to prove.  Quelle surprise that they can compete at this level and show the hunger to what to prove a point on the field.  Hopefully this permanently ends the influx of inferior overseas players and we build around the players we’ve got with other lower league battlers or loanees from above who can survive the physical side of our league.  Desperately need 2 central defenders, a CDM and another creative midfielder.  Also a target man who could hold up play to change it around.  Madness we have two players out of favour that could accommodate two of those roles in  Rowe and Wheater - even McCann who was let go or Saul that we didn’t sign...  All that we’re within our grasp 

Apparently Roy said 2-3 new players in next week.  If that’s true then great - we need more of a Garrity rather than a Maouche though.

Great stuff, thanks for this! 
sounds promising and great to get a 3-0 win against a team who we always seem to lose against. Agreed we need a few more players but I’m sure they will come! 

1 hour ago, hillside blue said:

There signs of a potential here, the lad up front Mcleney looks very good, a turn of pace and good finisher. This group have only been together for a short time, so they are still getting to know each others game, as time goes on they will improve, 3 nil and still some want to find fault.

Moaning about moaners that haven't moaned.

My summary - haven't seen the game but great win whatever 

Always delighted when Latics register any win against any opposition 

Notable victory in the League Cup, we don't tend to win many in that, look forward to our next opposition, please let it not be Middlesbrough, Burnley or Preston as per usual

Will never moan if players play for the shirt, no matter how good/bad/indifferent they are. Have only moaned at the team maybe 3/4 times in 50 years...can only recall moaning at 4 individuals in that time when there were notable departures from requirements of playing for the shirt.   

Congratulations to HK and all the players, let's have some more 

No mention of anything off-the-field as not appropriate at this particular moment in time 

18 hours ago, Clubfootkilkenny said:

How did we look today? I didn’t watch on ifollow as I just see this as another friendly before the serious stuff starts next week. 3nil however makes a refreshing change. Did he play grant and Keillor-Dunn either side of a McAleny or did he go 4-4-2? 

The one thing maybe gone unnoticed by some is there seems to be a good team spirit among the squad, maybe because it's small and players can form a better bond?

1 hour ago, Midsblue said:

Lawlor - didn’t have to do too much so untested still for me.  Very vocal and a good kick on him.

Garrity - for a player from non-league who’s less than a season at this level, I‘m impressed.  Works hard defending and attacking.  Industrious and compliments Whelan well.  Yes he was left unmarked for our first goal but he found the space and scored.  Understand we may have an option to sign permanently in January.  Reassuring if we have and he continues the way he’s played last two games.

Whelan - heard good things about him previously and showed signs.  He was always wanting the ball and whilst he didn’t show how creative he can be, he played simple balls that kept our attacking flow moving and never held up our play.  Carlisle couldn’t contain us and credit to Whelan & Garrity for allowing our front three to constantly attack.

Overall - very promising especially as it was our first competitive game.  We need 2 or 3 additions still or we’ll struggle against the stronger L2 times but based on this XI playing together, we’ll easily make mid-table or even a touch of playoffs.  Need those 2 or 3 additions in defence and midfield to be a promotion chasing team.  Kewell sounded like he did his homework on Carlisle - on our head coach, again too early but he’s quietly confident about his ability and I think he could do well for us.

Last thing to say - Lemsagams.  After 2 seasons of signing third rate foreigners who struggled with physicality of lower league football, they’ve finally signed domestic lower league hungry players who either have experience or a point to prove.  Quelle surprise that they can compete at this level and show the hunger or demonstrate that they want to prove a point on the field.  Hopefully this permanently ends the influx of inferior overseas players and we build around the players we’ve got with other lower league battlers or loanees from above who can survive the physical side of our league.  Desperately need 2 central defenders, a CDM and another creative midfielder.  Also a target man who could hold up play to change it around.  Madness we have two players out of favour that could accommodate two of those roles in  Rowe and Wheater - even McCann who was let go or Saul that we didn’t sign...  All these we’re within our grasp and that would have given us a decent squad.

Agree with most of this but not sure how Fage has been slated and Hamer hasn't. Fage didn't contribute too much but he wasn't awful. Hamer got terrorised every time they went down his side. I'd definitely agree that Jombati would be a better shout if we get another CB

20 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Agree with most of this but not sure how Fage has been slated and Hamer hasn't. Fage didn't contribute too much but he wasn't awful. Hamer got terrorised every time they went down his side. I'd definitely agree that Jombati would be a better shout if we get another CB

I agree with this. Fage didnt do anythin wrong apart from one misplaced pass. Won us free kicks by nipping in and by turning players. Showed a couple nice touches. But was mostly unnoticed. Hamer looked like he was dreading Carlisle attacks in the second half. Got beat time and again, whereas CBJ won every tackle and block. Agree on jombati but I do like a moroading cb now and again haha 

7 minutes ago, welshgaz said:

Not sure why Hamer and Fage are getting a hard time. Thought they were ok, if unspectacular. 

Dunno why any of them are being picked out for criticism.  Yesterday couldn't have gone better, surely?

Hater's gonna hate..

1 hour ago, OneSizeFitz said:

Yeah, agree. Hamer struggled a bit second-half against Toure, but neither of them were that bad. 

Hamer did have a tough time and is slow to turn. Jombati was ok going forward against Lincoln, but he wasn't tested defending. I wouldn't jump at replacing Hamer by Jombati as a defender until he can prove he can defend as a RB. 

4 hours ago, Midsblue said:

Cheers appreciated.
Even though there have been disagreements about certain aspects-mainly off the field, I  don't think many of us really disagreed about getting some solid L2 players, decent Prem pedigree and a fw quality non leaguers in, so happy that it might be vindicated and a new strategy.

A nice feelingto get the win, and just be comfortable in a game.
A kind draw gives the chance to progress, and getting a bit of a winning momentum is something we haven't really been used to.
Stiffer tests to come, and more players needed and due lets hope this is the solid spine of the team and standard of performance with the few tweaks you've alluded to.

8 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

I don’t think anyone is finding fault. Everyone is pleased with yesterday but you are allowed to have a balanced view. Few teams will play as bad defensively as Carlisle did yesterday bar the big guy Hayden they looked like a team of Sefils and Omranis.

it was a good performance but even Kewell and Garrity said there were things to work on and that is to be expected 

This division is site. Plenty of teams will play as bad defensively as Carlisle did, including us no doubt. The key thing is that we made them pay for it.

On 9/6/2020 at 6:08 PM, Steve_R said:

This division is site. Plenty of teams will play as bad defensively as Carlisle did, including us no doubt. The key thing is that we made them pay for it.

Agreed.  Another thing i took from the game. We were out of posession and defending for the vast majority of the second half. Carlisle didnt score. In previous seasons after 2 minutes under pressure we were likely to concede. Ok Carlisle missed chances and were generally hopeless but we kept them out.

Might be a one off. Fingers crossed. 

On 9/6/2020 at 11:27 AM, unsworth blue said:

My summary - haven't seen the game but great win whatever 

Always delighted when Latics register any win against any opposition 

Notable victory in the League Cup, we don't tend to win many in that, look forward to our next opposition, please let it not be Middlesbrough, Burnley or Preston as per usual

Will never moan if players play for the shirt, no matter how good/bad/indifferent they are. Have only moaned at the team maybe 3/4 times in 50 years...can only recall moaning at 4 individuals in that time when there were notable departures from requirements of playing for the shirt.   

Congratulations to HK and all the players, let's have some more 

No mention of anything off-the-field as not appropriate at this particular moment in time 

Good post. 

It’s amazing how much easier is it to ignore the off field stuff when you’ve got the makings of a good side with a few goals in them. 😉

Archived