Now former MD Karl Evans

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/13/2020 at 8:00 PM, Chaddyexile84 said:

If anyone is interested Karl has agreed to a call with me on Friday morning. This comes following his (very good) podcast last week with the Boundary Park alert system - I had some questions to his responses that weren’t asked by the lads so thought I’d reach out to his wanting to engage stance.

I’m not Push the Boundary, I’m not looking to step on their toes , I’m just another depressed supporter who is sickened at where we are as a club.

I am also looking to be firm but not antagonistic to Karl as I believe he has the right thoughts and ideas and if allowed to implement them without upsetting the Third Reich he could be a very good appointment.

If anyone has any questions or points they would like raising DM me and I will report back on here. 

Just bumping this - I have some questions posted to me but want to give people as many options as possible

and please can this not go the way of last night from any posters - I have had some very bad news today re family and really could do without it. 

all questions will be asked and I will post a full update 

16 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Just bumping this - I have some questions posted to me but want to give people as many options as possible

and please can this not go the way of last night from any posters - I have had some very bad news today re family and really could do without it. 

sorry to hear of your bad news Chaddy, family comes first mate - good luck  

1 hour ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

There is a time and place for challenge .....this is not one.   I hope everything resolves itself for you in the best possible way .Best wishes 

Sadly mate- I think you’re on a hiding to nothing. But I respect you wanting to try. Good luck. 👍🏻

15 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Very sorry to hear that you've had bad news. Look after yourself and best of luck with the meeting.

17 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Only just seen this. Best wishes to you and your family and hope everything turns out well.

6 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Hi all,

The call took place with Karl as promised.  Lasted close to an hour with some healthy discussion.

I'll put the notes into some kind of legible update and post fully once done.  Hopefully sometime over the weekend :) 

Cheers Chaddyexile, hope everything ok at your end family wise. 

Good to hear Karl at least as good as his word re: call, have been a few non-starters from our club for sure over last few years. I hope he is genuine and will at least try and instigate positive change 

Hi all,

The call took place with Karl as promised.  Lasted close to an hour with some healthy discussion.

I'll put the notes into some kind of legible update and post fully once done.  Hopefully sometime over the weekend :) 

Good man, hope all is well with you. 

Hi all,

Well done. Here's hoping that something positive will come out of the club at last. Also good wishes to you and your family.

46 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

Well done. Here's hoping that something positive will come out of the club at last. Also good wishes to you and your family.

Karl is enthusiastic in is new job and knows he needs to get the fans on board. Unfortunately I doubt he will be able to change the leopards spots. I hope I'm wrong.

4 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to do this .Hope things are improving for you .

He does seem to be unfairly attracting an awful lot of personally unjustified flack on Twitter. The guy has hardly got his seat warm, and from what l have seen so far appears to be trying. Each time he says he will do something, he delivers, which is a nice change. 

He's asked to be given some slack, and l don't think that is unreasonable.

Twitter is a funny platform. Decent to interact with fans but you can quickly tweet too much and get to involved in what people message you about and he is falling into this trap already. Using Capital letters never help haha. 

Wish him well of course but not sure Twitter is the way to communicate for someone at his level at the club. 

15 minutes ago, parigby said:

He does seem to be unfairly attracting an awful lot of personally unjustified flack on Twitter. The guy has hardly got his seat warm, and from what l have seen so far appears to be trying. Each time he says he will do something, he delivers, which is a nice change. 

He's asked to be given some slack, and l don't think that is unreasonable.

I don't follow Twitter and criticism when it gets personal is not acceptable.

It's not surprising he has received criticism so early in his tenure when as CEO at Bury claimed to know little of what Stuart Day was up to. This in my opinion doesn't bode well for our future.

For now I will cut him some slack.

He is trying and using social media to interact, he said he is thick skinned and will need to be being on Twitter as it will attract more vitriolic content when we lose.

i would advise him sometimes he just needs to back off from tweeting and responding to everything - maybe take it off line but carry on interacting with PTB, Trust and the Latics podcasts to reach that wider audience.

20 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

He is trying and using social media to interact, he said he is thick skinned and will need to be being on Twitter as it will attract more vitriolic content when we lose.

i would advise him sometimes he just needs to back off from tweeting and responding to everything - maybe take it off line but carry on interacting with PTB, Trust and the Latics podcasts to reach that wider audience.

Aye. Pick your platforms, and use them wisely. 

As promised here comes the summary of my call with Karl Evans on Friday.

Firstly, apologies to Unsworthblue, your questions have been asked but after nearly an hour on the phone I have asked Karl to email me the responses.  This was my call and not Karl’s as though I was originally working from home that day I ended up being in the office and I thought I was coming close to the sack if I stayed on the phone much longer 😊 He has assured me he will respond and I will update probably on Monday.  I just didn’t want to leave it all weekend before producing something!

Secondly, thank you to Karl for his time, he seemed to be spinning plates on Friday morning and the fact he stayed true to his word and then allowed the time he did shows to me his message about being open and wanting to engage with fans is genuine.

If any of you haven’t listened to the Boundary Park Alert System Podcast (available with no account Monty on YouTube 😉) I would advise you to do so as a lot of my points were directly lifted from that.  Anyhow, here we go:

Comments that Oldham Athletic 2 years on from Abdallah “still exist” as opposed to Bury:  I agreed that no one wants to see another Bury but clubs such as Stockport, Chesterfield and Notts County “still exist” and that argument can only carry so much water when you are 92nd out of 92 football league clubs.  I said, in my opinion most Oldham fans are used to being a bit naff and other than 3 years in the 90’s and 1 year in 1914 we haven’t had much to make us think we are Champions League material we just want to see decent effort and at least a serviceable football team.  Karl took this comment on board

Engagement from Abdallah and fans forums:  Karl had stated that Abdallah was reluctant to do fans forums again due to the bad experience prior and that people after a few beers got a little brave.  I asked if he had seen the forum to which he said he had seen “bits” and did mention the “little bit of knowledge”.  I invited him to assess the body language of the panel before a question had even been asked, specifically Barry’s arms folded, scowling at the world approach.  I asked him to consider the aggressive stance from both Barry and Shaheed on that night and if it was possible that this could also be a factor to the attitude of the crowd?  He conceded as much and agreed that making Barry the spokesman considering feeling was perhaps ill thought.  He did say he didn’t think a weekly “Abdallah show” on a Friday was a good idea especially with where we are in the league but that he is actively encouraging him to do something for the fans and intends to push this in person when he is next in the country.

Fans rep Richard Bowden:  I asked exactly what his role entails, stressing that Abdallah advertised specifically for a board representative to be for the fans (despite already having Trust Oldham), yet since his appointment we had had zero from him, he was at the forum but never said a word.

Karl responded that on meeting the board, he had much the same question.  He has now spoken to Richard – who does not have day to involvement in the club and has put him and the media guy together to work on board communication projects (perhaps the latest Barry interview is the start of that).

MO:  Karl stated still that has yet to meet Mo so does not know how he works.  He asked the guys on the podcast “has he not made a single good signing” and that you don’t need qualifications to be a sporting director.

My challenge on this was the firstly, a knowledge of the leagues and player base your club is in should be a requirement if not a black and white qualification and that Mo does not seem to have this.  I did state that I, and no doubt many other fans have no issue with “foreign” signings, but they should at least be above school yard level.

I then produced a quick list I had drawn up looking at signings in Mo’s tenure, positive column on the left, negative on the right (I appreciate this is only my opinion and doesn’t include EVERY player)

Positive: - 9 players

Negative or no impact – 36 – a good few we never even saw 

Not even a full team in 2 years of decent signings (only 3 of which are still at the club in Dearnley, Rowe and McAleney with a further one banished to the youth team).

Karl responded that even Alex Ferguson didn’t get them all right.  After I had stitched my sides back up, I said, if your KPI hit to miss ratio looked like that you’d be sacked.

Karl did say he had seen on Twitter that there were rumours of Mo going around the club saying, “fuck the fans”.  He said if he asked Mo about that he has no doubt Mo would say “no” but if he witnesses anything like that in the future, he will challenge it as it is not acceptable.

Playing staff and interference:  Karl reiterated that he is not involved in the football side of things but as far as he is aware Harry Kewell is consulted and involved when it comes to signings.

He said he doesn’t know if he is 100% left alone to pick the team but, in his view, if he isn’t and isn’t happy with that then he or any manager should have the backbone to walk.  I pointed out Scholes did, and Karl rightly countered that Scholes lost his tribunal.

He agrees that bar 30 minutes against Colchester and the Doncaster match, performances have been no where near good enough.  He has seen bits of training and can see somethings not coming off and in his personal view there are those that could give more but that is the same at any club.

Wheater and Woods:  Karl stated that he genuinely doesn’t know the ins and outs of the situation, that it was being dealt with by other parties and before he arrived.  He also stated that as it is an employee/employer issue confidentially would likely apply.

Interestingly he did say that it was not unheard of for clubs to neglect to play player should contract extensions/transfer fees be triggered – but stressed that was not what he was saying was the case here as he does not know.

He also said when asked why any manager or player would want to come to OAFC he responded that even when Steve Dale was driving Bury into the ground they had over 50 applicants for the manager position including several high profile ex-players looking for their first job.

North Stand Karl stated that it sickens him to look over at the North Stand and not be able to use it as he believes that if he can get his hands on that then the income potential to the benefit of the club is huge. He is actively speaking with the board to be allowed onto the working group that is (according to Karl) working on the situation so that he can add value and hopefully move things forward.  He did ask do any of us know the full situation from both sides, i.e. do we know the OEC are innocent?  I agreed we don’t, but communication again would help as personally I couldn’t believe the North Stand was less safe than the Main Stand which is when the refurbishments Barry alluded to were mentioned.  I asked why we didn’t have anything from the club re the complaint to GMP but did not get a response and I forgot to chase it up at the end.

Club statements Karl stated he read several of the statements made last year and he also drew breath and wondered how they got signed off.  Won’t be happening whilst he is there.

In summary, Karl believes that if allowed to do so he believes he can take the club forward.  He said that if he had a choice between an Oldham win and United tomorrow, being a United fan, he will take the Oldham win every time.  He was very firm in saying that he is no one’s puppet and that if it isn’t working for him, he won’t be there (that is what concerns me).  Having spoken to him at length and I’m naturally a suspicious person, he’s got the right drive and energy he is passionate about speaking to fans and has encouraged me to call again if needed.

I know a lot of people will say all the above is “nothing we didn’t already know” and I would agree, and had other stuff not been ongoing I may have been able to challenge more but Karl has only been in post a few weeks, the fact he is open to taking the bullets head on unlike the rest of the club and has invited me to call again once he is more up to speed with everything is a positive in my view.

Now let’s hope my 4-1 prediction league loss is bollocks and we have our first 3 points today! 😊

Archived