Now former MD Karl Evans

37 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

As promised here comes the summary of my call with Karl Evans on Friday.

Firstly, apologies to Unsworthblue, your questions have been asked but after nearly an hour on the phone I have asked Karl to email me the responses.  This was my call and not Karl’s as though I was originally working from home that day I ended up being in the office and I thought I was coming close to the sack if I stayed on the phone much longer 😊 He has assured me he will respond and I will update probably on Monday.  I just didn’t want to leave it all weekend before producing something!

Secondly, thank you to Karl for his time, he seemed to be spinning plates on Friday morning and the fact he stayed true to his word and then allowed the time he did shows to me his message about being open and wanting to engage with fans is genuine.

If any of you haven’t listened to the Boundary Park Alert System Podcast (available with no account Monty on YouTube 😉) I would advise you to do so as a lot of my points were directly lifted from that.  Anyhow, here we go:

Comments that Oldham Athletic 2 years on from Abdallah “still exist” as opposed to Bury:  I agreed that no one wants to see another Bury but clubs such as Stockport, Chesterfield and Notts County “still exist” and that argument can only carry so much water when you are 92nd out of 92 football league clubs.  I said, in my opinion most Oldham fans are used to being a bit naff and other than 3 years in the 90’s and 1 year in 1914 we haven’t had much to make us think we are Champions League material we just want to see decent effort and at least a serviceable football team.  Karl took this comment on board

Engagement from Abdallah and fans forums:  Karl had stated that Abdallah was reluctant to do fans forums again due to the bad experience prior and that people after a few beers got a little brave.  I asked if he had seen the forum to which he said he had seen “bits” and did mention the “little bit of knowledge”.  I invited him to assess the body language of the panel before a question had even been asked, specifically Barry’s arms folded, scowling at the world approach.  I asked him to consider the aggressive stance from both Barry and Shaheed on that night and if it was possible that this could also be a factor to the attitude of the crowd?  He conceded as much and agreed that making Barry the spokesman considering feeling was perhaps ill thought.  He did say he didn’t think a weekly “Abdallah show” on a Friday was a good idea especially with where we are in the league but that he is actively encouraging him to do something for the fans and intends to push this in person when he is next in the country.

Fans rep Richard Bowden:  I asked exactly what his role entails, stressing that Abdallah advertised specifically for a board representative to be for the fans (despite already having Trust Oldham), yet since his appointment we had had zero from him, he was at the forum but never said a word.

Karl responded that on meeting the board, he had much the same question.  He has now spoken to Richard – who does not have day to involvement in the club and has put him and the media guy together to work on board communication projects (perhaps the latest Barry interview is the start of that).

MO:  Karl stated still that has yet to meet Mo so does not know how he works.  He asked the guys on the podcast “has he not made a single good signing” and that you don’t need qualifications to be a sporting director.

My challenge on this was the firstly, a knowledge of the leagues and player base your club is in should be a requirement if not a black and white qualification and that Mo does not seem to have this.  I did state that I, and no doubt many other fans have no issue with “foreign” signings, but they should at least be above school yard level.

I then produced a quick list I had drawn up looking at signings in Mo’s tenure, positive column on the left, negative on the right (I appreciate this is only my opinion and doesn’t include EVERY player)

Positive: - 9 players

Negative or no impact – 36 – a good few we never even saw 

Not even a full team in 2 years of decent signings (only 3 of which are still at the club in Dearnley, Rowe and McAleney with a further one banished to the youth team).

Karl responded that even Alex Ferguson didn’t get them all right.  After I had stitched my sides back up, I said, if your KPI hit to miss ratio looked like that you’d be sacked.

Karl did say he had seen on Twitter that there were rumours of Mo going around the club saying, “fuck the fans”.  He said if he asked Mo about that he has no doubt Mo would say “no” but if he witnesses anything like that in the future, he will challenge it as it is not acceptable.

Playing staff and interference:  Karl reiterated that he is not involved in the football side of things but as far as he is aware Harry Kewell is consulted and involved when it comes to signings.

He said he doesn’t know if he is 100% left alone to pick the team but, in his view, if he isn’t and isn’t happy with that then he or any manager should have the backbone to walk.  I pointed out Scholes did, and Karl rightly countered that Scholes lost his tribunal.

He agrees that bar 30 minutes against Colchester and the Doncaster match, performances have been no where near good enough.  He has seen bits of training and can see somethings not coming off and in his personal view there are those that could give more but that is the same at any club.

Wheater and Woods:  Karl stated that he genuinely doesn’t know the ins and outs of the situation, that it was being dealt with by other parties and before he arrived.  He also stated that as it is an employee/employer issue confidentially would likely apply.

Interestingly he did say that it was not unheard of for clubs to neglect to play player should contract extensions/transfer fees be triggered – but stressed that was not what he was saying was the case here as he does not know.

He also said when asked why any manager or player would want to come to OAFC he responded that even when Steve Dale was driving Bury into the ground they had over 50 applicants for the manager position including several high profile ex-players looking for their first job.

North Stand Karl stated that it sickens him to look over at the North Stand and not be able to use it as he believes that if he can get his hands on that then the income potential to the benefit of the club is huge. He is actively speaking with the board to be allowed onto the working group that is (according to Karl) working on the situation so that he can add value and hopefully move things forward.  He did ask do any of us know the full situation from both sides, i.e. do we know the OEC are innocent?  I agreed we don’t, but communication again would help as personally I couldn’t believe the North Stand was less safe than the Main Stand which is when the refurbishments Barry alluded to were mentioned.  I asked why we didn’t have anything from the club re the complaint to GMP but did not get a response and I forgot to chase it up at the end.

Club statements Karl stated he read several of the statements made last year and he also drew breath and wondered how they got signed off.  Won’t be happening whilst he is there.

In summary, Karl believes that if allowed to do so he believes he can take the club forward.  He said that if he had a choice between an Oldham win and United tomorrow, being a United fan, he will take the Oldham win every time.  He was very firm in saying that he is no one’s puppet and that if it isn’t working for him, he won’t be there (that is what concerns me).  Having spoken to him at length and I’m naturally a suspicious person, he’s got the right drive and energy he is passionate about speaking to fans and has encouraged me to call again if needed.

I know a lot of people will say all the above is “nothing we didn’t already know” and I would agree, and had other stuff not been ongoing I may have been able to challenge more but Karl has only been in post a few weeks, the fact he is open to taking the bullets head on unlike the rest of the club and has invited me to call again once he is more up to speed with everything is a positive in my view.

Now let’s hope my 4-1 prediction league loss is bollocks and we have our first 3 points today! 😊

Thanks for taking the time to do this in your present circumstances.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Firstly, apologies to Unsworthblue, your questions have been asked but after nearly an hour on the phone I have asked Karl to email me the responses.  This was my call and not Karl’s as though I was originally working from home that day I ended up being in the office and I thought I was coming close to the sack if I stayed on the phone much longer 😊 He has assured me he will respond and I will update probably on Monday.  I just didn’t want to leave it all weekend before producing something!

Secondly, thank you to Karl for his time, he seemed to be spinning plates on Friday morning and the fact he stayed true to his word and then allowed the time he did shows to me his message about being open and wanting to engage with fans is genuine.

If any of you haven’t listened to the Boundary Park Alert System Podcast (available with no account Monty on YouTube 😉) I would advise you to do so as a lot of my points were directly lifted from that.  Anyhow, here we go:

Comments that Oldham Athletic 2 years on from Abdallah “still exist” as opposed to Bury:  I agreed that no one wants to see another Bury but clubs such as Stockport, Chesterfield and Notts County “still exist” and that argument can only carry so much water when you are 92nd out of 92 football league clubs.  I said, in my opinion most Oldham fans are used to being a bit naff and other than 3 years in the 90’s and 1 year in 1914 we haven’t had much to make us think we are Champions League material we just want to see decent effort and at least a serviceable football team.  Karl took this comment on board

Engagement from Abdallah and fans forums:  Karl had stated that Abdallah was reluctant to do fans forums again due to the bad experience prior and that people after a few beers got a little brave.  I asked if he had seen the forum to which he said he had seen “bits” and did mention the “little bit of knowledge”.  I invited him to assess the body language of the panel before a question had even been asked, specifically Barry’s arms folded, scowling at the world approach.  I asked him to consider the aggressive stance from both Barry and Shaheed on that night and if it was possible that this could also be a factor to the attitude of the crowd?  He conceded as much and agreed that making Barry the spokesman considering feeling was perhaps ill thought.  He did say he didn’t think a weekly “Abdallah show” on a Friday was a good idea especially with where we are in the league but that he is actively encouraging him to do something for the fans and intends to push this in person when he is next in the country.

Fans rep Richard Bowden:  I asked exactly what his role entails, stressing that Abdallah advertised specifically for a board representative to be for the fans (despite already having Trust Oldham), yet since his appointment we had had zero from him, he was at the forum but never said a word.

Karl responded that on meeting the board, he had much the same question.  He has now spoken to Richard – who does not have day to involvement in the club and has put him and the media guy together to work on board communication projects (perhaps the latest Barry interview is the start of that).

MO:  Karl stated still that has yet to meet Mo so does not know how he works.  He asked the guys on the podcast “has he not made a single good signing” and that you don’t need qualifications to be a sporting director.

My challenge on this was the firstly, a knowledge of the leagues and player base your club is in should be a requirement if not a black and white qualification and that Mo does not seem to have this.  I did state that I, and no doubt many other fans have no issue with “foreign” signings, but they should at least be above school yard level.

I then produced a quick list I had drawn up looking at signings in Mo’s tenure, positive column on the left, negative on the right (I appreciate this is only my opinion and doesn’t include EVERY player)

Not even a full team in 2 years of decent signings (only 3 of which are still at the club in Dearnley, Rowe and McAleney with a further one banished to the youth team).

Karl responded that even Alex Ferguson didn’t get them all right.  After I had stitched my sides back up, I said, if your KPI hit to miss ratio looked like that you’d be sacked.

Karl did say he had seen on Twitter that there were rumours of Mo going around the club saying, “fuck the fans”.  He said if he asked Mo about that he has no doubt Mo would say “no” but if he witnesses anything like that in the future, he will challenge it as it is not acceptable.

Playing staff and interference:  Karl reiterated that he is not involved in the football side of things but as far as he is aware Harry Kewell is consulted and involved when it comes to signings.

He said he doesn’t know if he is 100% left alone to pick the team but, in his view, if he isn’t and isn’t happy with that then he or any manager should have the backbone to walk.  I pointed out Scholes did, and Karl rightly countered that Scholes lost his tribunal.

He agrees that bar 30 minutes against Colchester and the Doncaster match, performances have been no where near good enough.  He has seen bits of training and can see somethings not coming off and in his personal view there are those that could give more but that is the same at any club.

Wheater and Woods:  Karl stated that he genuinely doesn’t know the ins and outs of the situation, that it was being dealt with by other parties and before he arrived.  He also stated that as it is an employee/employer issue confidentially would likely apply.

Interestingly he did say that it was not unheard of for clubs to neglect to play player should contract extensions/transfer fees be triggered – but stressed that was not what he was saying was the case here as he does not know.

He also said when asked why any manager or player would want to come to OAFC he responded that even when Steve Dale was driving Bury into the ground they had over 50 applicants for the manager position including several high profile ex-players looking for their first job.

North Stand Karl stated that it sickens him to look over at the North Stand and not be able to use it as he believes that if he can get his hands on that then the income potential to the benefit of the club is huge. He is actively speaking with the board to be allowed onto the working group that is (according to Karl) working on the situation so that he can add value and hopefully move things forward.  He did ask do any of us know the full situation from both sides, i.e. do we know the OEC are innocent?  I agreed we don’t, but communication again would help as personally I couldn’t believe the North Stand was less safe than the Main Stand which is when the refurbishments Barry alluded to were mentioned.  I asked why we didn’t have anything from the club re the complaint to GMP but did not get a response and I forgot to chase it up at the end.

Club statements Karl stated he read several of the statements made last year and he also drew breath and wondered how they got signed off.  Won’t be happening whilst he is there.

In summary, Karl believes that if allowed to do so he believes he can take the club forward.  He said that if he had a choice between an Oldham win and United tomorrow, being a United fan, he will take the Oldham win every time.  He was very firm in saying that he is no one’s puppet and that if it isn’t working for him, he won’t be there (that is what concerns me).  Having spoken to him at length and I’m naturally a suspicious person, he’s got the right drive and energy he is passionate about speaking to fans and has encouraged me to call again if needed.

I know a lot of people will say all the above is “nothing we didn’t already know” and I would agree, and had other stuff not been ongoing I may have been able to challenge more but Karl has only been in post a few weeks, the fact he is open to taking the bullets head on unlike the rest of the club and has invited me to call again once he is more up to speed with everything is a positive in my view.

Now let’s hope my 4-1 prediction league loss is bollocks and we have our first 3 points today! 😊

Thanks very much for sharing Chaddyexile, also thanks very much to Karl Evans for his responses. 

I for one am delighted that he at least appears willing to engage with supporters and no matter how it all works out he should at least be commended for that. 

Hope everything is ok in the chaddyexile household mate, a 2-1 away win at Bolton should hopefully lift some spirits 

3 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Thanks very much Chaddy. Well, we got the 3 points and you deserve them as much as anybody 👍

9 hours ago, parigby said:

He does seem to be unfairly attracting an awful lot of personally unjustified flack on Twitter. The guy has hardly got his seat warm, and from what l have seen so far appears to be trying. Each time he says he will do something, he delivers, which is a nice change. 

He's asked to be given some slack, and l don't think that is unreasonable.

I really haven’t seen any flack on Twitter (although I have blocked a large proportion of our gobshites).

What I have seen is people passionately trying to get him to see why we’re so disheartened with things at this time. 

15 minutes ago, maddog said:

What I have seen is people passionately trying to get him to see why we’re so disheartened with things at this time. 

Which is exactly what I tried to put across - his text on Twitter says he “gets it” speaking to him I think he does, whether he gets the opportunity to act is another matter - I did say it wouldn’t surprise me if in 6 months time someone else was in his seat saying “the owner accepts mistakes have been made” 🤷‍♂️

Thanks Chaddyexile84 for taking the time when things are not great for you. I hope three points today put a smile on your face.

Some good stuff from Karl, lets hope the owner benefits from his skills and listens.

The North stand particular for me. That reminds me, what happened to the big announcement that was promised before Natalie Exited?

Twitter can be vile and hurtful place

27 minutes ago, maddog said:

I really haven’t seen any flack on Twitter (although I have blocked a large proportion of our gobshites).

I agree with this 100%, I've muted a few but no one would take them seriously, and agree just seen people passonately explaining what it means. No-one could expect him to know what it means.

I think Karl maybe should make himself unavailable on Twitter from a Friday evening to say Monday morning (for his sake rather than ours) so he can deal with things when fans and himself are maybe less emotional. 

That said, I do value his making himself available to fans and his willingness to engage, this last week or so has been a marked improvement from his predecessor's days - not having a pop just stating my opinion. 

If Karl can make anything off the field better its a big positive, will always give credit where it is due     

I'd managed to catch up with some of the 'BP Alert System' Podcasts this week, one of which was the interview with Karl. He comes across OK, you get his enthusiasm for footy but hitting back with a load of hypothetical whataboutism bollocks as an answer to a perfectly valid question stuck in my craw a lot. Supporters have been treated appallingly for long enough without having to put up with that patronising bollocks.

He's playing the "just give us another chance" card a bit too much as well. Mate, we've the worst record of the entire football league when it comes to success-starved supporters. Don't you think we're a bit sick of this particular party line? We're hardened to sympathy pleas.

To be fair to him, he's getting a lot of "Why is Mo such a cunt?" type questions which isn't quite his remit, even though it's frankly rickifuckingdiculous that our Sporting Director, who is in overall charge of player recruitment, has gone totally off grid. Karl (I know you'll read this), get the comms up to speed (less Barry!), come up with some genius supporter-uniting initiatives and turn us round from looking as professionally shabby as amateur football clubs who aren't even in the football pyramid. That'll be a positive amuse-bouche before you tackle the full use of the not-quite-brand-new-anymore North Stand facilities main course.

10 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I'd managed to catch up with some of the 'BP Alert System' Podcasts this week, one of which was the interview with Karl. He comes across OK, you get his enthusiasm for footy but hitting back with a load of hypothetical whataboutism bollocks as an answer to a perfectly valid question stuck in my craw a lot. Supporters have been treated appallingly for long enough without having to put up with that patronising bollocks.

He's playing the "just give us another chance" card a bit too much as well. Mate, we've the worst record of the entire football league when it comes to success-starved supporters. Don't you think we're a bit sick of this particular party line? We're hardened to sympathy pleas.

To be fair to him, he's getting a lot of "Why is Mo such a cunt?" type questions which isn't quite his remit, even though it's frankly rickifuckingdiculous that our Sporting Director, who is in overall charge of player recruitment, has gone totally off grid. Karl (I know you'll read this), get the comms up to speed (less Barry!), come up with some genius supporter-uniting initiatives and turn us round from looking as professionally shabby as amateur football clubs who aren't even in the football pyramid. That'll be a positive amuse-bouche before you tackle the full use of the not-quite-brand-new-anymore North Stand facilities main course.

Was feeling quite positive about him but it seems like he’s now got his mate ‘defending’ him on twitter saying to give him a chance (like we haven’t) and to aim our anger higher (like we have done). 😶

*alarm bells*

10 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Good feeback in general Chaddy. However massive red flag for me where I've highlighted in bold. 'Allowed onto the working group?' He's the club's CEO for fucks sake. He shouldn't be just allowed, he should be taking the lead on it. He's fairly driven in his views on how he expects to operate so I do hope that he walks the walk rather than just talking the talk.

2 minutes ago, maddog said:

Was feeling quite positive about him but it seems like he’s now got his mate ‘defending’ him on twitter saying to give him a chance (like we haven’t) and to aim our anger higher (like we have done). 😶

*alarm bells*

I've not seen this on Twitter @maddog. But I'm numb to the continued patience pleas as I'm sure you and most others are too. Fuck that, there are plenty of quick wins he can get in quickly to start the ball rolling.

19 hours ago, underdog said:

The North stand particular for me. That reminds me, what happened to the big announcement that was promised before Natalie Exited?

I was incredibly annoyed that I only remembered about the statement after the call

Agree re Twitter - It makes OWTB look like a buddhist temple

On 10/17/2020 at 7:54 PM, underdog said:

Thanks Chaddyexile84 for taking the time when things are not great for you. I hope three points today put a smile on your face.

Some good stuff from Karl, lets hope the owner benefits from his skills and listens.

Let me start my saying I have no intention of becoming a “mate of the CEO” but I have emailed this morning and asked about the North Stand statement so maybe something will come out 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

As I said, due to the call with Karl lasting too long, some questions posted by @unsworth blue were submitted via Email.  I had to do some chasing for the response and I think the lack of detail highlights how written Q & A's should be avoided where possible.

Red flags for me are a lot of "I believe"  and "as far as I'm aware"- CEO should know & "nothing to report" on ground purchase.  The press reported a deal had been agreed surely he could have clarified this?

Maybe our illustrious trust could offer to pick up the mantle and challenge these but I won't hold my breath.  Here are the questions and responses:

(1) What assurance have supporters got that the players/officials and staff at OAFC will be paid in full and on time in October 2020 and beyond once the Government's furlough scheme has ended? 

Obviously payroll is a private matter but as far as I am aware all staff and officials have received their October pay.

(2)What plans are in place at OAFC for the club to continue this season now key income streams have dried up such as season ticket money/ corporate & match day sponsorship etc.? 

Like most EFL Clubs we are waiting for Government/EFL intervention and we will then plan accordingly.

(3) From best of my knowledge, Latics do not operate a lottery or equivalent for its supporters to generate much needed revenue to support the club - Rochdale, Bury AFC (phoenix) and Accy Stanley amongst others do. Is there any plan in place to develop one to meet business needs? 

We do have a lottery in operation that generates cash for the Club on a monthly basis.

(4)Are there any commercial deals in place which will support the development of OAFC in the Community? (Natalie kept referring to them and MIke Halliwell alluded to working on some in his statement to support his application to be Trust Director (subsequently withdrawn)

The commercial world is very quiet at the moment for obvious reasons but we are working closely with our Trust to work on better relations within the Community and beyond.

(5)Is there any progress on AL's purported purchase of Boundary Park from Blitz/ Brassbank whatever? I understood that he had agreed a deal in principle with Blitz to buy the stadium that saved club going into administration

Nothing to report at present.

(6)A few months back, the club asked for volunteers to ask as SLO (supporter liasion officers) or equivalent. Think they were after 4 but seemed to die a death.......anything happening here? 

I believe the SLOs were chosen……Gina Buckley who has been out of the business for a short time is back soon and will deal with this.

(7)Does Karl Evans support the principles of the FSA (Football supporters association) Sustain the Game? These are (a) Protect our clubs (b) Transparency (c) Financial controls (d) Strengthen the football pyramid (e) Supporter engagement.

Yes and I speak to the FSA on a regular basis.

1 hour ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

3) From best of my knowledge, Latics do not operate a lottery or equivalent for its supporters to generate much needed revenue to support the club - Rochdale, Bury AFC (phoenix) and Accy Stanley amongst others do. Is there any plan in place to develop one to meet business needs? 

We do have a lottery in operation that generates cash for the Club on a monthly basis.

Opportunity missed there Karl to actually promote this lottery 🤔

He is probably referring to the Giant Cash Bonanza:

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/commercial/giant-cash-bonanza/

Hi all,

As I said, due to the call with Karl lasting too long, some questions posted by @unsworth blue were submitted via Email.  I had to do some chasing for the response and I think the lack of detail highlights how written Q & A's should be avoided where possible.

Red flags for me are a lot of "I believe"  and "as far as I'm aware"- CEO should know & "nothing to report" on ground purchase.  The press reported a deal had been agreed surely he could have clarified this?

Maybe our illustrious trust could offer to pick up the mantle and challenge these but I won't hold my breath.  Here are the questions and responses:

(1) What assurance have supporters got that the players/officials and staff at OAFC will be paid in full and on time in October 2020 and beyond once the Government's furlough scheme has ended? 

Obviously payroll is a private matter but as far as I am aware all staff and officials have received their October pay.

(2)What plans are in place at OAFC for the club to continue this season now key income streams have dried up such as season ticket money/ corporate & match day sponsorship etc.? 

Like most EFL Clubs we are waiting for Government/EFL intervention and we will then plan accordingly.

(3) From best of my knowledge, Latics do not operate a lottery or equivalent for its supporters to generate much needed revenue to support the club - Rochdale, Bury AFC (phoenix) and Accy Stanley amongst others do. Is there any plan in place to develop one to meet business needs? 

(4)Are there any commercial deals in place which will support the development of OAFC in the Community? (Natalie kept referring to them and MIke Halliwell alluded to working on some in his statement to support his application to be Trust Director (subsequently withdrawn)

The commercial world is very quiet at the moment for obvious reasons but we are working closely with our Trust to work on better relations within the Community and beyond.

(5)Is there any progress on AL's purported purchase of Boundary Park from Blitz/ Brassbank whatever? I understood that he had agreed a deal in principle with Blitz to buy the stadium that saved club going into administration

(6)A few months back, the club asked for volunteers to ask as SLO (supporter liasion officers) or equivalent. Think they were after 4 but seemed to die a death.......anything happening here? 

I believe the SLOs were chosen……Gina Buckley who has been out of the business for a short time is back soon and will deal with this.

(7)Does Karl Evans support the principles of the FSA (Football supporters association) Sustain the Game? These are (a) Protect our clubs (b) Transparency (c) Financial controls (d) Strengthen the football pyramid (e) Supporter engagement.

Those responses are real confidence boosters and yes, I am being sarcastic.

1 minute ago, Wardie said:

Those responses are real confidence boosters and yes, I am being sarcastic.

I could be wrong but the difference in his tone and enthusiasm on the call and those responses say to me he is already losing the will to live... Maybe he has finally met Mo

Hi all,

Archived