How did it come to this?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, No Pyro No Party said:

Everyone has had their part to play who's had ownership of the club. Pinpointing the blame at this point doesn't solve anything nor does it make it any clearer when exactly the cogs started grinding to a halt; we've been poorly managed by a collective. The club is depressing. Everything about it just reeks and it feels like a very distant, toxic cousin of what it once was. 

I'm in my mid-twenties: I haven't seen us win any silverware, I've seen us lose 2 play-off semi-finals, I've never seen us promoted, I've never seen us play higher than League One BUT I have seen us relegated and I have seen us nearly drop out of the EFL. The only decent memories are the cup games, Everton away in 2008 being one. That's it. Problem is my generation and below are meant to be the future of the club having witnessed all of that and the current situation. I've mentioned this time and time again on here on here but does the current ownership really think that fans my age will be coming to BP? Not a chance. That's future revenue down the drain and once-potential supporters now joining the waiting list for season tickets at Old Trafford - sounds OTT but this is the reality of football in Oldham; the majority of Oldhamers don't appear to care about the club.

Sounds blunt and very pessimistic but the writing is on the wall for our club. The current ownership could have a change of heart and/or sell up and I'd be happily accept being wrong but I highly doubt that will happen without it going to court. Looking at what happened to Bury and now Macclesfield. With the utter incompetence of the EFL added into the mix, I'm saying within the next 2-3 years we'll be a has-been. There's no future in the repeating the same thing each season and expecting a different outcome. There's no future in ignoring the next generation.

Nobody can work out the motive as to why the current ownership is holding on to us so I think that sentiment needs to be matched: if they don't care, neither should we - no more money to OAFC. I'm having much more joy seeing Bury AFC come to life, the success FC United are having at their new ground, etc. If you feel you can still relate to the club then please... Answers on a postcard as to how. Sure, a lot of people have great memories watching Latics but this is our current situation and those are memories - even if they are great ones.

I won't clap us into the National League - or non-existence.

Excellent post.

I see other clubs fans fighting tooth and nail, that I just don't see it with us. We'd disappear with barely a whimper. Which is extremely disheartening.

2 hours ago, No Pyro No Party said:

Everyone has had their part to play who's had ownership of the club. Pinpointing the blame at this point doesn't solve anything nor does it make it any clearer when exactly the cogs started grinding to a halt; we've been poorly managed by a collective. The club is depressing. Everything about it just reeks and it feels like a very distant, toxic cousin of what it once was. 

I'm in my mid-twenties: I haven't seen us win any silverware, I've seen us lose 2 play-off semi-finals, I've never seen us promoted, I've never seen us play higher than League One BUT I have seen us relegated and I have seen us nearly drop out of the EFL. The only decent memories are the cup games, Everton away in 2008 being one. That's it. Problem is my generation and below are meant to be the future of the club having witnessed all of that and the current situation. I've mentioned this time and time again on here on here but does the current ownership really think that fans my age will be coming to BP? Not a chance. That's future revenue down the drain and once-potential supporters now joining the waiting list for season tickets at Old Trafford - sounds OTT but this is the reality of football in Oldham; the majority of Oldhamers don't appear to care about the club.

Sounds blunt and very pessimistic but the writing is on the wall for our club. The current ownership could have a change of heart and/or sell up and I'd be happily accept being wrong but I highly doubt that will happen without it going to court. Looking at what happened to Bury and now Macclesfield. With the utter incompetence of the EFL added into the mix, I'm saying within the next 2-3 years we'll be a has-been. There's no future in the repeating the same thing each season and expecting a different outcome. There's no future in ignoring the next generation.

Nobody can work out the motive as to why the current ownership is holding on to us so I think that sentiment needs to be matched: if they don't care, neither should we - no more money to OAFC. I'm having much more joy seeing Bury AFC come to life, the success FC United are having at their new ground, etc. If you feel you can still relate to the club then please... Answers on a postcard as to how. Sure, a lot of people have great memories watching Latics but this is our current situation and those are memories - even if they are great ones.

I won't clap us into the National League - or non-existence.

I totally understand everyone has different opinions and the right to voice them but i can't get my head around this logic. You won't clap our way into non-league but are happy to watch non-league at Bury and FC United? There seems to be an appetite for some kind of fans owned phoenix club. It's not for me personally, never would be and i doubt our fanbase could ever afford more than part-time non league (most people have no idea of the running costs of football clubs in league 1 or 2 including ground maintenance, staff costs etc.) If the fans that crave a rising from the ashes type phoenix club and having some great banter doing the tour of north west counties, there is nothing to stop them getting on with doing that and forming a club somewhere in the borough whilst the rest of us get on with supporting the club as it is.

8 minutes ago, PeteG said:

I totally understand everyone has different opinions and the right to voice them but i can't get my head around this logic. You won't clap our way into non-league but are happy to watch non-league at Bury and FC United? There seems to be an appetite for some kind of fans owned phoenix club. It's not for me personally, never would be and i doubt our fanbase could ever afford more than part-time non league (most people have no idea of the running costs of football clubs in league 1 or 2 including ground maintenance, staff costs etc.) If the fans that crave a rising from the ashes type phoenix club and having some great banter doing the tour of north west counties, there is nothing to stop them getting on with doing that and forming a club somewhere in the borough whilst the rest of us get on with supporting the club as it is.

Yes, maybe they could sink their money into Chadderton and take them to the EFL?

41 minutes ago, singe said:

Excellent post.

I see other clubs fans fighting tooth and nail, that I just don't see it with us. We'd disappear with barely a whimper. Which is extremely disheartening.

Big thanks 👍

Sadly you're probably right. PTB has been amazing in raising awareness, the past protests have helped give people a visible presence but I just don't see us being consistent enough in terms of actions to drive change. That said, I don't blame people really after the circus the last 20+ years have turned out to be; imagine it's just flogging a dead horse for most.

34 minutes ago, PeteG said:

I'm happy to see and read of their success, yes. Who wouldn't be after knowing you don't have to see Steve Dale posting his mad fantasies on your homepage every day or the Glazers bankrolling you just to make a purchase (tough life for them United fans, poor souls)? It's refreshing to read about clubs where fans are - gulp - happy. It doesn't necessarily mean fan ownership is the answer to our problems or to other lower league clubs' in the current climate but credit where credit is due, surely?

The long and short of it is, as much as it pains us all to say, we're paying our own money to watch a club representing our town and getting a backhanded slap for it. Latics is part of what makes Oldham "Oldham". Can't speak for the Premier League days but the buzz about the place back when we beat Liverpool and got drawn against Everton back in 2013 was brilliant. From Shaw to Limeside people were actually... Happy (there it is again). The club means a lot to those who still care about it. The lack of success on the pitch (ties in with the other points), transparency from the board/ownership, poor management, disengagement and unclear future direction is appalling. If I had to sum up Latics in one word right now: disillusionment. Why should we be expected to keep paying for our own funeral?

How much it costs to run the club in League One or Two is the current ownership's problem, not ours. They actively took that on board and were supposedly vetted by the EFL to be fit to fulfil that. Not sure if I'm reading this right but you seem to be vaguely gaslighting some other source for that. Makes me a little suspicious...

9 minutes ago, No Pyro No Party said:

Big thanks 👍

Sadly you're probably right. PTB has been amazing in raising awareness, the past protests have helped give people a visible presence but I just don't see us being consistent enough in terms of actions to drive change. That said, I don't blame people really after the circus the last 20+ years have turned out to be; imagine it's just flogging a dead horse for most.

I'm happy to see and read of their success, yes. Who wouldn't be after knowing you don't have to see Steve Dale posting his mad fantasies on your homepage every day or the Glazers bankrolling you just to make a purchase (tough life for them United fans, poor souls)? It's refreshing to read about clubs where fans are - gulp - happy. It doesn't necessarily mean fan ownership is the answer to our problems or to other lower league clubs' in the current climate but credit where credit is due, surely?

The long and short of it is, as much as it pains us all to say, we're paying our own money to watch a club representing our town and getting a backhanded slap for it. Latics is part of what makes Oldham "Oldham". Can't speak for the Premier League days but the buzz about the place back when we beat Liverpool and got drawn against Everton back in 2013 was brilliant. From Shaw to Limeside people were actually... Happy (there it is again). The club means a lot to those who still care about it. The lack of success on the pitch (ties in with the other points), transparency from the board/ownership, poor management, disengagement and unclear future direction is appalling. If I had to sum up Latics in one word right now: disillusionment. Why should we be expected to keep paying for our own funeral?

How much it costs to run the club in League One or Two is the current ownership's problem, not ours. They actively took that on board and were supposedly vetted by the EFL to be fit to fulfil that. Not sure if I'm reading this right but you seem to be vaguely gaslighting some other source for that. Makes me a little suspicious...

All it was missing is

“What the fans have to realise is....”

It came to this because, over many years, which includes many owners, we have not had an owner who actually knows what he is doing,

in the art of moving a football club forward.

Most have used it as a vanity project, and have had zero interest in moving the club forward. And it has worked spectacularly.

We have moved from being a well run, and well respected lower league club, who for a short time punched well above their weight . Only  to become nothing short of a laughing stock.

And, for those of us lucky, and old enough to remember those days, they were truly spectacular.  To reach the semi final of the FA cup and the final of the league cup in the same season for a club with the stature of Latics, was truly amazing.

And I fear that we will never again get remotely close to those epic days that included one FA cup or League cup match after another, with memorable, simply fantastic evening at Boundary park knocking some of England's biggest clubs over,  and doing it in fine style.

Alas, we have reached the stage where fans have been sickened by total rubbish served up,  by both officials and players.  And there seems not even a chink of light at the end of a very very long tunnel. It has sickened me to the core, and after 62 years man and boy, and now living 100 miles away from BP, I have almost zero desire to be bothered making the journey, which would almost certainly end in frustration and anger for me.

As we all now know, things will not improve under the present regime of Charlie Cairoli, and Abbott and Costello.  I fear that our slide will continue, whilst the likes of Forest green and Harrogate will continue to make good progress.

And they will do that, because they are both well run clubs whose owners both understand football, and will continue to do the right things, in order for that to happen. 

I just hope that before I pop my clogs, I get to witness generations of Latics fans who will finally actually have something to be proud of, and to get exited about. But I honestly cannot see it happening. 

25 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

We have moved from being a well run, and well respected lower league club, who for a short time punched well above their weight . 

And for sixteen years before we definitively punched above our weight we were a Championship ( in today's money) club. 

17 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

It came to this because, over many years, which includes many owners, we have not had an owner who actually knows what he is doing,

in the art of moving a football club forward.

Most have used it as a vanity project, and have had zero interest in moving the club forward. And it has worked spectacularly.

We have moved from being a well run, and well respected lower league club, who for a short time punched well above their weight . Only  to become nothing short of a laughing stock.

And, for those of us lucky, and old enough to remember those days, they were truly spectacular.  To reach the semi final of the FA cup and the final of the league cup in the same season for a club with the stature of Latics, was truly amazing.

And I fear that we will never again get remotely close to those epic days that included one FA cup or League cup match after another, with memorable, simply fantastic evening at Boundary park knocking some of England's biggest clubs over,  and doing it in fine style.

Alas, we have reached the stage where fans have been sickened by total rubbish served up,  by both officials and players.  And there seems not even a chink of light at the end of a very very long tunnel. It has sickened me to the core, and after 62 years man and boy, and now living 100 miles away from BP, I have almost zero desire to be bothered making the journey, which would almost certainly end in frustration and anger for me.

As we all now know, things will not improve under the present regime of Charlie Cairoli, and Abbott and Costello.  I fear that our slide will continue, whilst the likes of Forest green and Harrogate will continue to make good progress.

And they will do that, because they are both well run clubs whose owners both understand football, and will continue to do the right things, in order for that to happen. 

I just hope that before I pop my clogs, I get to witness generations of Latics fans who will finally actually have something to be proud of, and to get exited about. But I honestly cannot see it happening. 

It was my grandad who took me to BP as 7 year old, 36 years ago..We travelled from Fleetwood to every home game and occasional away games and im happy to say as a child i had the constant buzz for football as we was exciting and fairly successful..

He will now be turning in his grave at what is happening, we are a shadow of the club we all loved and all had a connection with, which was once an excellent family club..

The decline didnt start with Abdallah and his cronies, it started well before he took over but what is happening now is the beginning of the end, if we dont manage to get rid of him from our club i fear Oldham Athletic will only be a memory..

There is no connection at all now between Fans and the club, it is a just a side buisness for a man who is obviously using it for other purposes other than football..

I’m like you as i wont be making the effort to travel 60 miles to support our team because this is NOT our club we once knew, as a fan you are no longer appreciated and only a mug in the ego maniacs plan..

I hope things improve and we can find somebody to buy us and steady the ship before its too late, id love to say keep the faith but as English Footballs least successful club in the last 30 years it’s getting extremely hard..

2 hours ago, 100milesaway said:

I just hope that before I pop my clogs, I get to witness generations of Latics fans who will finally actually have something to be proud of, and to get exited about. But I honestly cannot see it happening. 

Judging by the recent posts, most have already exited... :getmecoat:

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

And for sixteen years before we definitively punched above our weight we were a Championship ( in today's money) club. 

That was before there was mega money in football and, dare I say it, Bosman. It was possible to build squads then, and not have a new team every season. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2020 at 12:32 PM, SweeperKeeper said:

Always amazed how much of a free ride Chris Moore gets on here

He's the number one reason we are where we are, and he barely gets mentioned

Proves my point.

You can see how cases like Bury happen, when you can be forgiven for folding the club in return for a run to a playoff semifinals.

Not happy with what has happened since, but we have never recovered from the massive mess Moore left behind.

4 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Proves my point.

You can see how cases like Bury happen, when you can be forgiven for folding the club in return for a run to a playoff semifinals.

Not happy with what has happened since, but we have never recovered from the massive mess Moore left behind.

We have never recovered from lack of investment when we had a chance! We could easily have been a Burnley, a Bournemouth or Watford had be actually made something of those first premiership years rather just thinking we were lucky to be there.

We where in a mess from the moment we dropped into the second division (league 1) a fucking huge mess when Brierley sold to Moore,

we were in a fucking huge mess when Moore bailed

we were in a declining mess when Blitz bailed

We couldn’t even order paper clips the debts were so high when Corney sold

Weve been fucking catastrophic since AL took over a Moore was a cunt but he is not the reason we are where we are.

we are a small club in a shitty town with an aging and increasingly uninterested fan base 

Archived