EFL trophy Latics V Wolves U21’s

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like HK has been told to focus on the cups and not to worry about the league.  AL knows it's the best way to make money.  He's probably told HK to purposely make us look shit in the league to give clubs a false belief incase they draw us in the any of the cups.

2 minutes ago, oafc 123 said:

It looks like HK has been told to focus on the cups and not to worry about the league.  AL knows it's the best way to make money.  He's probably told HK to purposely make us look shit in the league to give clubs a false belief incase they draw us in the any of the cups.

It’s a good shout. Who cares about the league anyway? 

11 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Decent performance again from Lawlor with one or two fine saves. Pick of the bunch for Latics were Fage, Piergianni and Hamer plus a tidy debut from Hough in the middle. 

If nothing else it may build some confidence.

I'd have to add Barnett to that list.  Energetic, good in the tackle and some decent crosses too.

15 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

So there's prize money for this but not for the League Cup? 

World gets madder by the day. 

Only being the prize money is hush money to stop lower league clubs becoming upset having to play against the academy teams.  

14 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I'd have to add Barnett to that list.  Energetic, good in the tackle and some decent crosses too.

True - though he did set up the early Wolves chance (saved by Lawlor) with a sloppy ball across the face of the goal. That apart it was a decent full debut. 

Though it was only against an U23 team, there was still too too many of the familiar failings: poor control, lacking awareness and giving the ball away. We have to hope that it will get better as the players get game time and improved confidence. 

Just to repeat my question of last night. Anyone know why we played the last 7 or so minutes with 10 men. Garrity ran off like he was bursting for a piss just before they changed refs and didn't come back on as far as I could see. Of course Roy and co noticed nothing.

16 minutes ago, RobinsDuckEgg said:

Just to repeat my question of last night. Anyone know why we played the last 7 or so minutes with 10 men. Garrity ran off like he was bursting for a piss just before they changed refs and didn't come back on as far as I could see. Of course Roy and co noticed nothing.

Perhaps he can't take any more! 🤣

50 minutes ago, RobinsDuckEgg said:

Just checking that when I'm following the white round thing being kicked around you expect me to have 21 other pairs of eyes on all the other players in case one of them unexpectedly departs the pitch? The referee subbed himself bang on injury time of 4 minutes so I'm guessing Garrity must have departed 3 minutes before that. Anyone fancy watching it back so exact timings can be provided as a reference point for the next game? 

Sincerely,
Co

1 hour ago, RobinsDuckEgg said:

It was Garrity who clashed heads with the Wolves player who was down for a while.  Garrity was up quick but probably felt it later.  4:0 up he may as well come off.

51 minutes ago, Fan up the ladder said:

Just checking that when I'm following the white round thing being kicked around you expect me to have 21 other pairs of eyes on all the other players in case one of them unexpectedly departs the pitch? The referee subbed himself bang on injury time of 4 minutes so I'm guessing Garrity must have departed 3 minutes before that. Anyone fancy watching it back so exact timings can be provided as a reference point for the next game? 

Sincerely,
Co

Thanks for that reply.

Though it looks like I’ve touched a nerve it was not meant to be a criticism of your general commentary, which on the whole isn’t bad.

It would be helpful for you if the old man sat next to you could actually see what was going on or even knew who the players were, and stopped throwing you curved balls every few minutes.

The little white round thing was not bouncing around and play had stopped when this occurred. Fair enough if you take a break for a drink or whatever, but in that case your “partner” should have been watching instead of looking at his phone or whatever he does, or what he was doing last year when Morais was sent off and he didn’t notice until half time when the other commentators told him.

On reflection the fact that you point out that it is you who have to be aware of everything that goes on proves my point: Roy who has been a great servant to the club for many years is not fit for purpose as a matchday commentator.

8 minutes ago, Pidge said:

I thought Badan did well first half.  He was solid in the tackle and comfortable on the ball. 

I'm guessing he plays Saturday as he was taken off at half time.

Yes he did well. In danger of the second yellow though as he couldn't keep pace with that nippy winger.

Barnett too left his mark on the game. I liked his enthusiasm and bite, so different from our other recent signings, but he's bound to get into trouble with the refs and can't see him lasting an entire league game.

Archived