EFL trophy Latics V Wolves U21’s

33 minutes ago, RobinsDuckEgg said:

Thanks for that reply.

Though it looks like I’ve touched a nerve it was not meant to be a criticism of your general commentary, which on the whole isn’t bad.

It would be helpful for you if the old man sat next to you could actually see what was going on or even knew who the players were, and stopped throwing you curved balls every few minutes.

The little white round thing was not bouncing around and play had stopped when this occurred. Fair enough if you take a break for a drink or whatever, but in that case your “partner” should have been watching instead of looking at his phone or whatever he does, or what he was doing last year when Morais was sent off and he didn’t notice until half time when the other commentators told him.

On reflection the fact that you point out that it is you who have to be aware of everything that goes on proves my point: Roy who has been a great servant to the club for many years is not fit for purpose as a matchday commentator.

Thanks for the constructive reply, and sorry, I was having a bad morning :)

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RobinsDuckEgg said:

Thanks for that reply.

Though it looks like I’ve touched a nerve it was not meant to be a criticism of your general commentary, which on the whole isn’t bad.

It would be helpful for you if the old man sat next to you could actually see what was going on or even knew who the players were, and stopped throwing you curved balls every few minutes.

The little white round thing was not bouncing around and play had stopped when this occurred. Fair enough if you take a break for a drink or whatever, but in that case your “partner” should have been watching instead of looking at his phone or whatever he does, or what he was doing last year when Morais was sent off and he didn’t notice until half time when the other commentators told him.

On reflection the fact that you point out that it is you who have to be aware of everything that goes on proves my point: Roy who has been a great servant to the club for many years is not fit for purpose as a matchday commentator.

I don't listen to the commentary nor watch the streaming but, whilst I accept your criticism is well intended, is the fact that Roy is basically Roy and is a bit Kamaraesque not charming enough and befitting of our lovely club as it stood before Lemmies and in my opinion how it should stay forever?  Not in anyway criticising your viewpoint but just expressing an alternative

1 hour ago, Fan up the ladder said:

Thanks for the constructive reply, and sorry, I was having a bad morning :)

No problem. 😀 I'm quite happy with your commentary. Would it not be possible to get someone else in - another Latics fan if possible - to "learn the ropes" from Roy without sidelining him completely?

5 minutes ago, RobinsDuckEgg said:

No problem. 😀 I'm quite happy with your commentary. Would it not be possible to get someone else in - another Latics fan if possible - to "learn the ropes" from Roy without sidelining him completely?

are you offering Duck Egg? 😉

Roy's problem is he gets sidetracked or moves off on a tangent too often.

This naturally distracts his co-presenter and detracts from the overall commentary where listeners just want to hear what's going on without the reminiscenses.

Gordon managed to avoid total distraction and the pair formed a pretty good team providing a good balance of description with more than a dash of blind partiality ! 

48 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

I don't listen to the commentary nor watch the streaming but, whilst I accept your criticism is well intended, is the fact that Roy is basically Roy and is a bit Kamaraesque not charming enough and befitting of our lovely club as it stood before Lemmies and in my opinion how it should stay forever?  Not in anyway criticising your viewpoint but just expressing an alternative

For some of us scattered all over the world, the streaming is our only link to the club we love and have supported in my case for over 50 years. I too would like the spirit of the club to return to what it was, but that doesn’t mean being a Luddite and not keeping up with the technology.

Unlike some on here, I’ve nothing against Roy’s idiom or even his reminiscences, and his Latics bias is obviously welcome, but his comments these days are usually in stark contrast to what we all can see on the pitch, and it can be bloody annoying. I’ll leave it at that. I’ve suggested a solution an another post.

21 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Roy's problem is he gets sidetracked or moves off on a tangent too often.

This naturally distracts his co-presenter and detracts from the overall commentary where listeners just want to hear what's going on without the reminiscenses.

Gordon managed to avoid total distraction and the pair formed a pretty good team providing a good balance of description with more than a dash of blind partiality ! 

To me, that's part of the charm of Roy, definitely has a part to play - I see him more as a type of Test Match Special type commentator, waffling on about tiger hunting in India whilst England are playing South Africa lol  

1 minute ago, RobinsDuckEgg said:

For some of us scattered all over the world, the streaming is our only link to the club we love and have supported in my case for over 50 years. I too would like the spirit of the club to return to what it was, but that doesn’t mean being a Luddite and not keeping up with the technology.

Unlike some on here, I’ve nothing against Roy’s idiom or even his reminiscences, and his Latics bias is obviously welcome, but his comments these days are usually in stark contrast to what we all can see on the pitch, and it can be bloody annoying. I’ll leave it at that. I’ve suggested a solution an another post.

Nothing to with being a Luddite Robins, just averse to watching Latics on screen and trying to distance myself from the club at present as I am not prepared to support a regime that I feel totally alienated from.  I do get what you are saying and fully understand where you are coming from, its just that for me Roy's Kamaraesque charm is something endearing.  

2 hours ago, RobinsDuckEgg said:

Thanks for that reply.

That comment has brought back happy memories of one of Sky Sport's finest moments. Chris Kamara missing the red card in Portsmouth v Blackburn and Jeff Stelling's immortal crack that Kamara, not the studio, was supposed to be telling viewers what was going on. Priceless.

11 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

That comment has brought back happy memories of one of Sky Sport's finest moments. Chris Kamara missing the red card in Portsmouth v Blackburn and Jeff Stelling's immortal crack that Kamara, not the studio, was supposed to be telling viewers what was going on. Priceless.

I had a Kamaraesque moment at Wimbledon away in the FA Cup in 1980 Worcester, saw Paul Futcher leaving the field of play 7 minutes from time  but thought he had been substituted and wasn't aware that he had been sent off until the Sunday when i read it in the paper! I had the excuse of drinking very heavily before the game however which i expect Chris didn't when he made his error lol. Wonderful stuff    

35 minutes ago, RobinsDuckEgg said:

Knockando. I don’t have the gift of the gab, and I’d bore everyone to death with “The Frizzell years”.

Would never bore me with the reminiscences of the Frizzell years Robins. My formative years watching Latics and remember them like they happened yesterday  

Hi guys,  I thought my dummy-spitting moment this morning may provoke some healthy debate (sorry again), and it's genuinely appreciated so thank you for that. I have passed on to the media team because I think in these horrible times when even the die-hards can't get into the stadium, it is all very useful to know and consider. I am also very mindful that our listeners/viewers from overseas have a strong opinion on the subject. 

Given we are discussing it, just to say it's really difficult finding the balance of description knowing some people have the pictures and some just the audio, so forgive me if it's a little too literal at times. Secondly, having heard a few clips on Twitter, it sounds painful (to me at least!) without any sort of crowd noise behind it!

Cheers 

Mike

27 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

I had a Kamaraesque moment at Wimbledon away in the FA Cup in 1980 Worcester, saw Paul Futcher leaving the field of play 7 minutes from time  but thought he had been substituted and wasn't aware that he had been sent off until the Sunday when i read it in the paper! I had the excuse of drinking very heavily before the game however which i expect Chris didn't when he made his error lol. Wonderful stuff    

Can remember the FA Cup tie away v South Shields when late in the match their centre forward hit a free kick into the side netting at the other end of the pitch and half the coach thought we'd lost one nil.

I was half doubting my own eyes until the results came on the radio confirming the draw and some, who'd had a bit more Newky Brown than me, still insisted the BBC had got it wrong ! *

* Apologies if I've posted this before.

45 minutes ago, Fan up the ladder said:

Hi guys,  I thought my dummy-spitting moment this morning may provoke some healthy debate (sorry again), and it's genuinely appreciated so thank you for that. I have passed on to the media team because I think in these horrible times when even the die-hards can't get into the stadium, it is all very useful to know and consider. I am also very mindful that our listeners/viewers from overseas have a strong opinion on the subject. 

Given we are discussing it, just to say it's really difficult finding the balance of description knowing some people have the pictures and some just the audio, so forgive me if it's a little too literal at times. Secondly, having heard a few clips on Twitter, it sounds painful (to me at least!) without any sort of crowd noise behind it!

Cheers 

Mike

As an audio-only listener, your commentary is spot on Mike.

49 minutes ago, Fan up the ladder said:

Cheers 

Mike

Fuck em

56 minutes ago, Fan up the ladder said:

Cheers 

Mike

I'm afraid I  don't liten to iFollow these days, in protest at the owner. However, I do miss your commentary greatly.

Both your styles make me nostalgic.
Roy is like the excitable puppy in the background.

3 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Can remember the FA Cup tie away v South Shields when late in the match their centre forward hit a free kick into the side netting at the other end of the pitch and half the coach thought we'd lost one nil.

I was half doubting my own eyes until the results came on the radio confirming the draw and some, who'd had a bit more Newky Brown than me, still insisted the BBC had got it wrong ! *

* Apologies if I've posted this before.

I was at that game with Latics Pete and unfortunately at the replay. We were poor in those days even when we played "well".  Seems like the circle is now complete.

Archived