Right come on then, how do we get rid of them?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Inspiral_Carpet said:

Can you provide me with some evidence that AL will fuck off because he’s losing shitloads of money?  He has shown no sign of that despite allegedly being offered the chance to cut his losses.  You’re in the know and seem convinced you’re right so spill the beans and give me facts as to why I’m wrong.

I’ve got valid reasons for buying STs this year. Personal reasons that go way beyond football.

Yes it’s a shit show.  Yes I want him out and if there was something that I could do to make that happen then sign me up.  I remain to be convinced about the “starve him out” approach though and for now, I cannot see that happening.  

I’m happy to be convinced otherwise but in the current circumstances, other than a white knight coming along and buying us (and that would be truly baffling), I don’t see an alternative should I want to support the team that I’ve followed for 50-odd years.

Over to you.

Happy to give you a response Inspiral 

If supporters are attending games and spending time with their young children or elderly parents, thats sacred time and the result or quality of football isnt of great importance. 

If I fitted into the above profile I would still attend games but would most definitely choose the ‘pay as you go’ option, not risking forking out £hundreds in advance.

My view being, with our current owner that the money is safer in my pocket 

If our team was playing decent football I would still attend games but we’re not and the league tables over the last few years evidence how poor we are 

For me, the responsibilty for our recent demise both on and off the pitch sits with our owner and club board 

Being brutally honest, when you consider our playing squad and lack of businesses prepared to sponsor us, we are already a non league club, except for the stadium which the club doesnt own anyway 

I dont see our owner leaving anytime soon but forking out to watch a product ‘not fit for purpose’ and financially supporting an owner who is ‘not fit for purpose’ makes no sense to me at all 

The name Oldham Athletic’ is owned by us the fans and am absolutely sure that which ever guise or league we play in it will still be ours 

3 hours ago, tGWB said:

Happy to give you a response Inspiral 

If supporters are attending games and spending time with their young children or elderly parents, thats sacred time and the result or quality of football isnt of great importance. 

If I fitted into the above profile I would still attend games but would most definitely choose the ‘pay as you go’ option, not risking forking out £hundreds in advance.

My view being, with our current owner that the money is safer in my pocket 

If our team was playing decent football I would still attend games but we’re not and the league tables over the last few years evidence how poor we are 

For me, the responsibilty for our recent demise both on and off the pitch sits with our owner and club board 

Being brutally honest, when you consider our playing squad and lack of businesses prepared to sponsor us, we are already a non league club, except for the stadium which the club doesnt own anyway 

I dont see our owner leaving anytime soon but forking out to watch a product ‘not fit for purpose’ and financially supporting an owner who is ‘not fit for purpose’ makes no sense to me at all 

The name Oldham Athletic’ is owned by us the fans and am absolutely sure that which ever guise or league we play in it will still be ours 

Thanks for the reply tGWB but I wasn’t looking for a view on my decision to buy season tickets.  That’s an individual choice and I’m happy with what I decided.

What I was hoping to find out from those “in the know” was the extent of losses that Legsamam was prepared to swallow before calling it quits.  I’m quickly coming to the conclusion that nobody knows and in fact most seem to think he will stay.

The “starving him out” option therefore doesn’t seem to have much chance of success but I respect that everyone has the right to do what they think is correct.

How do you expect people to know the inside track on his financial situation?

And why is this a precursor for action? Is it not a logical conclusion that the less we put in, the more he has to, and given past events, this seems to prove a challenge to him?

1 hour ago, oafcmetty said:

How do you expect people to know the inside track on his financial situation?

And why is this a precursor for action? Is it not a logical conclusion that the less we put in, the more he has to, and given past events, this seems to prove a challenge to him?

There are lots of people who claim to be “in the know” and a fair few seem to think that starving him of cash will force him to leave, including you.  As you are well-connected, I was asking if you had some evidence that this course of action would work.  

I don’t expect anyone to know his detailed financial situation but the rumours range from him being potless to having access to substantial funds and I’m assuming he managed to convince Blitz of the latter.  Having a bit more knowledge as to where he is on that scale would help us all surely and like I say, there are several people around the club who seem to have access to inside information.

You could reach the conclusion that he’s running out of money, yes but as I said earlier, that’s the way he does business and there is other evidence to suggest he isn’t skint and struggling.  Lots of people (and Companies) do delay paying bills and do treat people like shit despite having plenty of ready cash.  We are also signing experienced players too and while none so far are ripping up trees, there are significantly cheaper options out there so if he was planning to walk, surely he’d sign a bunch of kids or inexpensive, desperate pros.  That says to me that he has no plans to disappear despite the current economical environment.  Allegedly, he’s already turned down a couple of good offers which would have enabled him to cut his losses.  Another indicator that he isn’t running out of cash.

I don’t really understand your “precursor for action” comment.  I would say though that if I knew he had financial limits and knew that we could force him out, then count me in to that plan.  My point is that he doesn’t show any signs of being dislodged and all I’m trying to understand is whether or not you (or anyone else) has anything concrete behind the desire to starve him out.

We both want the same thing I am sure.

I don't think we can force him out financially. The harder we push, the more he will dig his heals in. He has proved he doesn't seem to mind losing money, by letting his brother bring in mostly sub standard players time and again. He's quick to fire staff, players and managers, but not the biggest failure of all, his own brother. Will he want another relegation though? I don't think so, and that may be the end of him. It will be a harder job finding a new owner in the National League..

3 hours ago, Inspiral_Carpet said:

I would say though that if I knew he had financial limits and knew that we could force him out, then count me in to that plan.

Experienced players? Who? Jombati and Pidge? Hardly likely to be on megabucks.

Can't say too much (walls have ears), but from what I hear, he's perhaps not as liquid as he may like. Regardless, as said earlier, we don't have many options - no-one has endless funds, so depriving him (or anyone) of our cash will eventually start to hurt. Not sure I care when the tipping point is, it's better than doing nothing/continuing to fund/enable him.

If you want him out, what are you doing about it?

19 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Experienced players? Who? Jombati and Pidge? Hardly likely to be on megabucks.

Can't say too much (walls have ears), but from what I hear, he's perhaps not as liquid as he may like. Regardless, as said earlier, we don't have many options - no-one has endless funds, so depriving him (or anyone) of our cash will eventually start to hurt. Not sure I care when the tipping point is, it's better than doing nothing/continuing to fund/enable him.

If you want him out, what are you doing about it?

They will be on enough.  Same as CBJ and others.  Put it this way, there will be an awful lot of cheaper options out there including academy players.

Well that’s good news.  Hopefully it will be sooner rather than later.  Your sums still don’t add up though.  Why didn’t he sell when he had the chance if he’s running out of cash and plans to walk?  Why Is he strengthening the squad when he could just play a bunch of kids?

I’m doing nothing proactive to get rid of him and I’ll spend my money how I like and that’s because I want to watch my team with my sons and to see more of my parents as opposed to “enabling him”.  Latics will be here long after he’s gone but in the meantime, I’m going to enjoy what I can and avoid letting this make me miserable by criticising other fans and moaning on here and Twitter umpteen times a day like some.  

For now, I’m not going to kid myself that any of us can make a difference by “protesting” but if it floats your boat, then that’s your choice.  

8 hours ago, Canada_latic said:

I'm sure Johnny Smith mentioned Barry Owen in both the Oldham Times and D3D4 podcast interview. 

I wouldn't be surprised for Shitpeas to have involvement in any signings from clubs where there is a connection to the club. He probably got in touch with Johnson asking about any players available for loan...

Given we signed Mills without a coach last year, and we played Morecambe when AL may not have been present, the season before, I wouldn't be surprised if Barry was involved in that signing either. 

The issue is that isn't Barry's role and it's one that could be done by anyone with eyes or contacts at other clubs. However, both signings are probably seen favourably by the man in charge. 

Barry Owen is part of the problem and has been for more years than AL has been here. 

8 hours ago, Canada_latic said:

I'm sure Johnny Smith mentioned Barry Owen in both the Oldham Times and D3D4 podcast interview. 

Yes but which do you think is more likely when it was blindingly obvious we needed more of an attacking threat at the start of last season -

1. Barry said 'there is a lad at Bristol City who I was tracking when he was on loan at Tranmere'; or

2. Barry said 'I'll call Lee Johnson and ask if he can lend us someone'

1 hour ago, jsslatic said:

Yes but which do you think is more likely when it was blindingly obvious we needed more of an attacking threat at the start of last season -

1. Barry said 'there is a lad at Bristol City who I was tracking when he was on loan at Tranmere'; or

Overiding Mo?  it's a wonder he's still at the club.

18 hours ago, Inspiral_Carpet said:

They will be on enough.  Same as CBJ and others.  Put it this way, there will be an awful lot of cheaper options out there including academy players.

Well that’s good news.  Hopefully it will be sooner rather than later.  Your sums still don’t add up though.  Why didn’t he sell when he had the chance if he’s running out of cash and plans to walk?  Why Is he strengthening the squad when he could just play a bunch of kids?

I’m doing nothing proactive to get rid of him and I’ll spend my money how I like and that’s because I want to watch my team with my sons and to see more of my parents as opposed to “enabling him”.  Latics will be here long after he’s gone but in the meantime, I’m going to enjoy what I can and avoid letting this make me miserable by criticising other fans and moaning on here and Twitter umpteen times a day like some.  

For now, I’m not going to kid myself that any of us can make a difference by “protesting” but if it floats your boat, then that’s your choice.  

Out of genuine curiosity: do you think the current model the owner has is sustainable for the next 5+ years as a club?

33 minutes ago, No Pyro No Party said:

Out of genuine curiosity: do you think the current model the owner has is sustainable for the next 5+ years as a club?

I have no idea what his model is nor any idea of his finances.

Any normal business that constantly loses money and ostracises its customers to further reduce income would go bust very quickly.  Football is different though and on top of the millions he’s spent already, he must be putting in hundreds of thousands of his own money each year to keep us afloat.  

The sustainability depends on how long he’s prepared to do that.  If he’s got a few hundred million and is happy to write off £500k+ per year to fund his hobby then we could be stuck with him until he gets bored.  

Let’s hope that’s not the case.

19 minutes ago, Inspiral_Carpet said:

I have no idea what his model is nor any idea of his finances.

Any normal business that constantly loses money and ostracises its customers to further reduce income would go bust very quickly.  Football is different though and on top of the millions he’s spent already, he must be putting in hundreds of thousands of his own money each year to keep us afloat.  

The sustainability depends on how long he’s prepared to do that.  If he’s got a few hundred million and is happy to write off £500k+ per year to fund his hobby then we could be stuck with him until he gets bored.  

Let’s hope that’s not the case.

As with most things in life, I suspect the truth lies somewhere in between. 

You can say what you want about him, but when he has to find the money to keep us going- he does. Equally though I don’t think it’s credible that he’s really loaded, because who funds their hobby so poorly? It would be akin to being into classic cars and turning up in a banger. 

My view is he’s rich enough to keep us afloat with or without the fans. So I tend to agree with you, that starving  him financially won’t work. 

BUT. 

What he can definitely can’t abide is criticism, or people not falling at his feet to thank him for ‘saving us’. Therefore no fans can work, because  I think he’s far more likely to leave if his ego takes a big hit or he becomes fed up with being unloved or ‘ungrateful fans.’ 

11 hours ago, rudemedic said:

I wouldn't be surprised for Shitpeas to have involvement in any signings from clubs where there is a connection to the club. He probably got in touch with Johnson asking about any players available for loan...

Given we signed Mills without a coach last year, and we played Morecambe when AL may not have been present, the season before, I wouldn't be surprised if Barry was involved in that signing either. 

The issue is that isn't Barry's role and it's one that could be done by anyone with eyes or contacts at other clubs. However, both signings are probably seen favourably by the man in charge. 

Barry Owen is part of the problem and has been for more years than AL has been here. 

11 hours ago, jsslatic said:

I completely agree with your opinions regarding Barry. My point being is that Mo is so crap at his job, that even Barry can recruit better players. 

This argument that hes putting money in how much do we believe hes putting in I I don't think its that much. We have drastically reduced the wage bill each season hes been here our club captain has been ostracized for not accepting the fact hes not been paid money he is contractually owed.

Weve had the £700k from the Edmondson sale plus the FA cup money which will have got us through 2019 and at the end of 2019 we still £2million of trade creditors i.e. unpaid bills which is something Phillipa from the Trust highlighted as a rather large concern. Thats just the stuff we know about. Im not buying it that hes bailing us out anymore than Corney was between 2010 and 2018.

Archived