Morecambe (H)

2 minutes ago, al_bro said:

Even if Wheater was in the defence, the result wouldn't change much. The problem is the weak midfield, which can't win tackles, constantly gives the ball away and run around like headless chickens. All this puts added pressure onto a poor defence which isn't protected.

True, the midfield is very very weak. Desperate for a ‘McCann’ type figure in there. I still think that Wheater would improve the defence though.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, al_bro said:

Even if Wheater was in the defence, the result wouldn't change much. The problem is the weak midfield, which can't win tackles, constantly gives the ball away and run around like headless chickens. All this puts added pressure onto a poor defence which isn't protected.

I don’t disagree re the midfield, but a lot of the goals have actually been mistakes from fullbacks. Hamer has been unable to stop crosses and out of position to often for me.

2 hours ago, Steve_R said:

It's only 5 games in, so far too early to take take the league table seriously overall.

There's no way Morecambe are going to win the league for example, The problem is, we might finish bottom.

😂

So the league position at the moment is right for some clubs, and not others?

How does that work? 

30 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

It was a mere 30 years from the bottom to the top 😁

Trying to change the narrative abit here.

But if we were at a low point in 1960 and 30 years later we were at a high point.

What did we do right in that time in between and what lessons can be learned that could be applied today?

28 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

But if we were at a low point in 1960 and 30 years later we were at a high point.

What did we do right in that time in between and what lessons can be learned that could be applied today?

Between 1960 and 1970, Latics were in between Divisions 3 and 4, had a succession of managers and in truth the 1960s ended pretty much as the 1950s with Athletic in serious financial trouble. A businessman called Lowe (of whom I have little knowledge other than he was from Bury) bailed us out initially and i think JW Lees then came in with investment to steady the ship in the early 70s. 

The real state of calm and progress at OAFC came between 1970 and 1990, a period in which we had 2 managers (yes 2) who were allowed to manage on the field and build the foundations off the field for a brighter future. These 2 managers were people with an affinity for the area (Jimmy Frizzell played for Latics from 1960 and married an Oldham lass and Joe Royle I think was also married to an Oldham lass). The Board as far as I know kept mainly in the background and backed managers where they could but in truth Latics operated on basically a shoestring budget in comparison to other clubs in Division 2. Between 1974 and 1984, Latics flirted more with relegation to Division 3 than going up but I think the fans were largely satisfied that Latics were punching above their weight really in Division 2 at the time. 

Effective recruitment on the pitch was really the key to Latics development - a good steady flow of players from the Youth team ensured Latics could populate a few positions annually and a good influx of players from the big city clubs and untried but talented non-league acquisitions boosted the squads. Things really started taking off in 1986 and from thereon in until 1990 it was a dream period of great football and a talented squad of players coming together under a steady hand that took us to hitherto unseen heights. 

Main lessons - calmness and not resorting to sacking managers when we hit rocky spells, effective recruitment - who could do a job for us who would improve us and not just random buys and pegs in round holes, good steady managers who knew the club, knew their role and knew the community and a relatively quiet off the field environment. 

None of the above apply in the least today - no lessons appear to ever be learned and in truth hope of improvement under this regime has dissipated. I think we are back as a club to the dark days of 1969 and are in need of investment and replacing the current regime otherwise we will not see the rest of the decade through as a football club and certainly not as a football league club.                    

53 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

These 2 managers were people with an affinity for the area (Jimmy Frizzell played for Latics from 1960 and married an Oldham lass and Joe Royle I think was also married to an Oldham lass). . 

Great post.

It does look like our best chance of success is to get an Oldham lass to marry Jurgen Klopp, though.

We just need a willing fan and to get him on Tinder...

4 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Just sign a top England international striker, that's it really.

21 hours ago, Steve_R said:

It's only 5 games in, so far too early to take take the league table seriously overall.

There's no way Morecambe are going to win the league for example, The problem is, we might finish bottom.

Morecambe probably have a smaller budget than us, but have recruited much better. They are a sloid team which will probably finish mid table, providing they don't get too many injuries and suspensions. Right now their confidence is sky high, and that makes a difference.

Interesting info, I’ll repeat a point I made earlier, see Mcaleneys stats, Intelligent players can work their way into a game even when supply to them is inconsistent, Dearnley could learn from him (not knocking Dearnley, but he must learn this aspect of his game to progress how we hope he can).

4 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

D

Spotted this ‘Pass Map’ for Latics from the Morecambe game...  check out the stats for Dearnley and Rowe...😮

(Dearnley 4 passes 2 completed in 51 minutes ) Rowe 6 passes 6 completed in 21 minutes plus added time)

It would have been nice to see Dearnley actually receive the ball so he could pass it instead of over his head.

9 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

D

Spotted this ‘Pass Map’ for Latics from the Morecambe game...  check out the stats for Dearnley and Rowe...😮

(Dearnley 4 passes 2 completed in 51 minutes ) Rowe 6 passes 6 completed in 21 minutes plus added time)

Great find!

Piergianni and Hamer lumping it long to the opposition over and over again 😖

And Fage and Garrity can't even manage the short passes.

I'm not asking for tiki-taka, but it's no coincidence we concede so many when we give the ball to the opposition that often

You know, I don’t take too much notice of the pass completion percentages (bear with me), one thing that is driving me mad at the moment is the number of midfielders who choose (or are coached) to immediately protect possession by turning with their first touch towards their own goal and playing to the back four, watching England for example you see Walker, Rice, Phillips, Henderson and others all doing this, their pass completion percentages must be great because they never take a risk. Compare that with say Grealish whose first thought is to turn and look forward. It makes an immense difference to fans enjoyment of the game.

i acknowledge there is a balance (and losing the ball can frustrate us fans too) but current coaches, even at our level, are maybe taking it too far.

Current day methods, where if you have the ball the other team can’t score, is at times effective but it can be so boring.

6 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

You know, I don’t take too much notice of the pass completion percentages (bear with me), one thing that is driving me mad at the moment is the number of midfielders who choose (or are coached) to immediately protect possession by turning with their first touch towards their own goal and playing to the back four, watching England for example you see Walker, Rice, Phillips, Henderson and others all doing this, their pass completion percentages must be great because they never take a risk. Compare that with say Grealish whose first thought is to turn and look forward. It makes an immense difference to fans enjoyment of the game.

i acknowledge there is a balance (and losing the ball can frustrate us fans too) but current coaches, even at our level, are maybe taking it too far.

Current day methods, where if you have the ball the other team can’t score, is at times effective but it can be so boring.

We are way, way on the other side of that balance.

We lump it, lose it, and wait for the opposition to attack.

Just look how often we got the ball to Dearnley and McAleny.

Players like Grealish don't give Piergianni and Garrity the right to pump it brainlessly to the opposition goalkeeper.  Garrity and Fage aren't losing the ball trying to make incisive through balls either.

Archived