Potential Football League Shake-Up

56 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

I think he has given them a bit of an easy ride oversome aspects, that need fighting off vehemently. eg any rule change by the top 6 or top 9, but a concession could be giving the top 6 two votes each acknowledging they are a driver of income. But yeas, he's right to look at it mor bit by bit.

Of the other proposls:

1. Short term financial help.  WE're not in a strong positon to argue against. £350m is pretty fair, with £250m to EFL. £100m to FA, and of that £25m below EFL. I don't know the need of below EFL, but hard to argue against that.

2. Restructure pyramid. Prem down to 18. Again PL hold all the aces, as unpalatable as it is. It might stop the huge losses of Champ clubs though. Poss smallish price to pay. The 16th place team in the play offs cost us dearly, we can't be in favour, but FL might have to concede.

It's not clear, but losing the LEague Cup, but keeping the Checkatrade would only be palatable  wth a 100% cast ion legally bidnign guarantee of no B teams in the pyramid.

Scrapping parachute payments, in favour of a 25% split is probably the most welcome clause

3. Prem clubs selling exclusive media rights via streaming seems to be a slow creep. But again weak FL position menas a concession, but again the 25% of revennue needs to be in place or we could end up with 25% of rock all.

Seems like Div 3 North & South might need to be back on the agenda too.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Clubs at our level and just below will have to go part time sooner or later. 

Think so too Dave, maybe in the form of a Division 3 North and South.

Probably something like the German system where they have only 2 major leagues.

Even there though big club B teams have crept into the regional leagues.

18 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Think so too Dave, maybe in the form of a Division 3 North and South.

Probably something like the German system where they have only 2 major leagues.

Even there though big club B teams have crept into the regional leagues.

German Third Division (3. Liga) is national and professional. Though does currently include one reserve team (Bayern II). 

40 minutes ago, OneSizeFitz said:

German Third Division (3. Liga) is national and professional. Though does currently include one reserve team (Bayern II). 

There are plenty of B teams in the North and South regional leagues. I guess if Bayern B are in Division 3 others can be promoted?

Mind you I remember when Latics reserves were in the Lancashire combination so its like back to the future.

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Clubs at our level and just below will have to go part time sooner or later. 

According to a recent report the average weekly pay for league 2 player is £2,191 a week. Can an average player in an average team in in the 4th tier really be worth around £114,000 a year?

:sauce:  https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/leaked-report-reveals-how-much-18169396 

21 hours ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Giving West Ham and Southampton a special status is a complete joke.

This might be the one thing that might scupper it at PL level.

Both Villa and Newcastle have spent more time in the PL than either Man City, West Ham or Southampton.

The cat is out of the bag with the 25% TV revenue offer and it's sad to see some posters on here falling for what is an opportunistic bribe.

If the FA and EFL (minus, hopefully, Parry, who should be sacked) have a backbone they should demand that as a more equitable sharing of TV revenue anyway. It still falls well short of the old 50/25/12.5/12.5 split. I won't hold my breath. 

The idea that six clubs (2/3 of 9) get to decide who can and can't own a football club, and on PPV revenues, is loathsome.

Football is losing its soul and I'm sick of it.

30 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

I like this bit:

...Depends whether they can handle basic arithmetic. For what would be needed for vetoes and changes to processes is a two-thirds majority of long-term shareholders.

Ooh, what’s two-thirds of nine? Wouldn’t be six by any chance, would it? Everton, Southampton and West Ham wouldn’t be privileged members. They would be ridiculous patsies, carved up and cynically outvoted at every turn.

👀

7 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Let the privileged few clear off into a European Leaue, then we can get a proper league structure going again fair to all without the greed.

Totally agree. The FA should tell them that should anything go wrong in the future, by losing membership of this European League. They will not be allowed back in the FL at any level.

It's not going to happen though, because the PL itself is against it.

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

I like this bit:

...Depends whether they can handle basic arithmetic. For what would be needed for vetoes and changes to processes is a two-thirds majority of long-term shareholders.

Ooh, what’s two-thirds of nine? Wouldn’t be six by any chance, would it? Everton, Southampton and West Ham wouldn’t be privileged members. They would be ridiculous patsies, carved up and cynically outvoted at every turn.

👀

West Ham, who say they weren't consulted, have already come out against the proposals.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54505270

Every time there is a piece on football clubs in trouble i.e this one on the premier league top 6 rip off deal , it always says some league clubs will go to the wall without a bail out and it always , always,  mentions Oldham as one of the  clubs in trouble usually with Southend , surely there is no smoke without fire, the papers must know something !!!!

23 minutes ago, rossy52 said:

Every time there is a piece on football clubs in trouble i.e this one on the premier league top 6 rip off deal , it always says some league clubs will go to the wall without a bail out and it always , always,  mentions Oldham as one of the  clubs in trouble usually with Southend , surely there is no smoke without fire, the papers must know something !!!!

It wouldn't be the most challenging investigative journalism assignment. 

On 10/12/2020 at 3:00 PM, Worcester Owl said:

The cat is out of the bag with the 25% TV revenue offer and it's sad to see some posters on here falling for what is an opportunistic bribe.

If the FA and EFL (minus, hopefully, Parry, who should be sacked) have a backbone they should demand that as a more equitable sharing of TV revenue anyway. It still falls well short of the old 50/25/12.5/12.5 split. I won't hold my breath. 

The idea that six clubs (2/3 of 9) get to decide who can and can't own a football club, and on PPV revenues, is loathsome.

Football is losing its soul and I'm sick of it.

Sadly it looks like there are plenty of Football League chairman who are backing it

9 hours ago, Steve_R said:

Sadly it looks like there are plenty of Football League chairman who are backing it

so that's all the current  championship Sunderland Ipswich noblot Wigan if they had a chairman plus the other championship wannabes .whatever happens we will have very little say and will be run roughshod over by the big boys 

21 hours ago, Steve_R said:

Yes, sadly I suspect our chairman is among them, given that it wasn't too long ago that Barry was warning us we had to know our place and not get ideas about promotion.

44 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Yes, sadly I suspect our chairman is among them, given that it wasn't too long ago that Barry was warning us we had to know our place and not get ideas about promotion.

It's said to be close to unanimous I L1&2 so can't hold him too responsible 

It sums it up when the article on the BBC is next to the one on West Ham trying to close a £30m deal for 1 player from Brentford and no doubt at Christmas numerous PL clubs will spend more on a 20 year old Diego Scorchio than they are collectively offering the EFL! 

Archived