Bolton (a)

Watched it with commentary from Bolton’s Ifollow, still biased but much better than our commentary. Thought we were better than them and deserved to win. They had more of the ball but our keeper hasn’t had much to do at all. Great counter attacking goal from Dearnley 

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We competed well and deserved the win. Huge improvements from the last game all over the pitch. The two new lads, Ntambwe and Bilboe did well and contrary to some, I think that Piergianni had a decent game.

Rowe definitely the standout in black and gold but Barnett again showed real promise. McEleny was a live-wire, unlucky with a couple of efforts but could have played one or two in when he decided to shoot.

And take a bow Zachary Dearnley - what a great moment when that ball hit the net! Well worth the tenner alone!

Bilbao - seemed steady, made one very good save, didn’t have chance with goal.  Not much else to do. 

Ntambwe - another steady debut, looks like he enjoys defending which is refreshing. See how he copes against better opposition

Jombati - average I’d say until he went off. Struggled for 15 mins at the end of the first half.

Pidge - all over the place first half but fair play to him, didn’t put a foot wrong in the second half. 

Hamer - I’m his biggest critic but thought he was good today. Seems more relaxed in the wing back roll which I didn’t think he’d be suited to.

Barnett - still not as convinced about this lad as others on here. I’m happy to reserve judgement for a few more games 

Garrity - thought he was man of the match today. Rightly criticised so far this season but I like the fact he keeps arriving in the box and has a burst in him when he gets going. Maybe more suited to a more advanced role more than the deeper one he’s been playing. 

Whelan - still doesn’t do enough for me but did press well in the first half with garrity 

Bamboula - thought he was poor today. Obviously he has loads of ability but think he can get involved more. 

Rowe - surprised how well he led the line on his own. Oozes class in and around the box though. 

McAleny - literally made 4 wrong decisions which could of led to a clear cut chance each time. Always a threat though and the flick that came back off the post was class. 

Subs 
Jameson - didn’t seem as bad as the Fylde fans made out. Part of a great second half performance 

Mcalmont - think this lad has something under the bonnet. Played sideways a bit too often for me but think he’ll come good.

Dearnley - another ive not been convinced by but I keep hearing about the quality he has and boy did he show it. Get in!!!!

How good does it feel to win again! I’ll be on here all night me 😁

Lots of attacking intent today and we do have genuine quality in the final third with Rowe, McAleny and Dearnley. Bahamboula shows signs of promise but needs to do it over more than 45 mins.

Garrity seems to have a knack of popping up in the box at the right time and whilst I’m far from convinced on him, that’s a good trait to have.

Defensively we are still piss poor and the longer that is the case, the more the Wheater situation becomes even more farcical. Get the back four sorted and we really shouldn’t be a bad first eleven at this level.

Buzzing with the last minute winner and thought everyone put a shift in which was a welcome change. Really like Barnett - heart on his sleeve type of player with a good cross on him. 

5 minutes ago, south east latic said:

Lots of attacking intent today and we do have genuinely quality in the final third with Rowe, McAleny and Dearnley. Bahamboula shows signs of promise but needs to do it over more than 45 mins.

Garrity seems to have a knack of popping up in the box at the right time and whilst I’m far from convinced on him, that’s a good trait to have.

Defensively we are still piss poor and the longer that is the case, the more the Wheater situation becomes even more farcical. Get the back four sorted and we really shouldn’t be a bad first eleven at this level.

Buzzing with the last minute winner and thought everyone put a shift in which was a welcome change. Really like Barnett - heart on his sleeve type of player with a good cross on him. 

Just to add regarding Rowe, McAleny and Bahamboula, not only do they have obvious quality but they're work horses too who get stuck in

We really need to shore things up at the back though. Barnett was left in no man's land for their goal, whilst it was a good pass from them, he could have recovered a lot better by trying to get goal side and blocking the cross, instead of trying to simply catch up to their player who left him in the dust 

41 minutes ago, L1onheartNew said:

Gotta say, that was the worst Bolton side that I have seen in years. Whatmore and Worthington would be turning in their graves

have to agree with this. As happy as I am with the result and the performance, Bolton aren’t your typical league 2 team and it’d be no surprise to see them go down again.

They reminded me of us in the first few games, light weight and harmless passes 70 yards from goal. 

Not taking anything away from the lads today though, fully deserved. The best thing about that second goal (apart from it hitting the back of the net) was the desire of them to break from the Bolton corner to cause a four (or maybe 5) against 3 on the counter attack.

also, how many late goals is that already this season!

44 minutes ago, south east latic said:

Lots of attacking intent today and we do have genuine quality in the final third with Rowe, McAleny and Dearnley. Bahamboula shows signs of promise but needs to do it over more than 45 mins.

It's weird because it usually a case of us being alright at the back and in midfield but being crap upfront.

Seems to be the opposite with this team while I'm not against games with goals obviously entertainment is a good thing if we are capable of keeping clean sheets it will give our forwards the confidence knowing that if they get on the scoresheet we can win the game. It looks like at the moment we have to score atleast 2 to have a chance of getting a point.

well I was not expecting that.

What a well taken winning goal, he could have so bottled it, good good to see another 2/3 players running up with him too.

Excellent boost to the confidence that is for all on and off the pitch.

I was listening on BBC manc and it sounded a good match, end to end stuff

3 minutes ago, underdog said:

well I was not expecting that.

What a well taken winning goal, he could have so bottled it, good good to see another 2/3 players running up with him too.

Excellent boost to the confidence that is for all on and off the pitch.

I was listening on BBC manc and it sounded a good match, end to end stuff

He would have got pelters if he hadn't scored with two up along side him. But even with a saved shot it could have spilled out to one of the others. Shows confidence and self belief to shoot!

7 minutes ago, latics22 said:

He would have got pelters if he hadn't scored with two up along side him. But even with a saved shot it could have spilled out to one of the others. Shows confidence and self belief to shoot!

a pivotal moment maybe? Critical goal, crucial 3 points

Archived