Jayzus, we've got a match tomoro..

Just don’t get it.  Does Kewell or whoever picking the team know what our strongest starting eleven is?

I suspect this may vary but mine, with Wheater unavailable, would be -

GK - Lawlor

RB - Jombati

CD - Piergianni

CD - Clarke

LB - Barnett

DM - McAlmont

MF - Bahamboula

MF -  Whelan

FW - McAleny

FW - Dearnley

FW - Rowe

It’s 433 on paper but fluid when defending or attacking. With McAlmont holding, this gives us a middle two or three (if Rowe drops deeper and attacks with the ball) when attacking. Fullbacks then allowed to come forward to stretch defence with three or four in middle on end of crosses.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Not sure why you have put Piergianni in there? 🤔 I thought that he played well again tonight.

You realise half the time Carlisle got the ball was because he'd hoofed it to them?  Even if he has time or somebody showing for the ball, he clears it 40m.  When you're 1-0 up with five minutes left, then fine.  But you can't play a whole match like that.

They hardly ever had to win the ball off us.  We just lumped it back to them again and again, putting ourselves under pressure.

I should say, I've been a defender of Pidge on here, and he is our best defender in the air and gets us out of a lot of trouble.  But he's got to give the rest of the team a chance to have the ball.

33 minutes ago, Chris15Arm said:

Think I'd rather bilboe in net after that goalkeeping shitshow. Yh made a few saves nothin spectacular. Then flew out of his net 5 yards behind the ball. Then once we scored decided to go ahead and lie down on the ground or cuddle the ball every time he got it rathe than release it. Most frustrating part of football is when a gk decides he's playin for a point on his own.

I did not watch this game

Your average League Two goalkeeper would have conceded four tonight.  He had a huge amount to do, loads of tricky balls across the box which he dealt with well.

8 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

Just don’t get it.  Does Kewell or whoever picking the team know what our strongest starting eleven is?

I suspect this may vary but mine, with Wheater unavailable, would be -

GK - Lawlor

RB - Jombati

CD - Piergianni

CD - Clarke

LB - Barnett

DM - McAlmont

MF - Bahamboula

MF -  Whelan

FW - McAleny

FW - Dearnley

FW - Rowe

It’s 433 on paper but fluid when defending or attacking. With McAlmont holding, this gives us a middle two or three (if Rowe drops deeper and attacks with the ball) when attacking. Fullbacks then allowed to come forward to stretch defence with three or four in middle on end of crosses.

I'd email this to Kewell so he can pin it on his dressing room mirror. :D 

15 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

You realise half the time Carlisle got the ball was because he'd hoofed it to them?  Even if he has time or somebody showing for the ball, he clears it 40m. 

Nah. The amount of pressure that Carlisle put us under during the game there was no time for fancy play - he cleared his lines and rightly so. I lost count of the number of times he won his aerial duels and led by example.

As for players showing for the ball? That didn’t happen until Rowe came on. 

6 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Nah. The amount of pressure that Carlisle put us under during the game there was no time for fancy play 

If you can't see that that was part of the reason we were under so much pressure, then I don't know what to say

I'm not asking for fancy play, just a pass to a blue shirt 

If that now counts as "fancy", then that is exactly why it's right to call it non-league 

8 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

If you can't see that that was part of the reason we were under so much pressure, then I don't know what to say

I'm not asking for fancy play, just a pass to a blue shirt 

If that now counts as "fancy", then that is exactly why it's right to call it non-league 

Nah...

Defo a point won there. 2 games undefeated so hopefully confidence can grow. Another good half from Rowe, and with him only playing 45 there is no reason why he shouldn’t start sat as from watching he has to play atm. U feel Clarke also has to come in but any more changes and potential is we will disrupt too much again. Be interested to see what happens for sat 

27 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Bollocks I didn’t even know we had a game tonight.

please put me down for 1-1 (0-0 ht) and Dearnley first scorer.

ta 

My brother Lawman beat you to it, got them all right.

8 hours ago, Chris15Arm said:

Our point was nearly not the only miraculous thing to happen tonight! Had a what the hell moment when I saw the 3rd goalscorer for Lazio against Dortmund was Jean Akpa-Akpro 😱 turns out its Jean David not jean Louis haha

It's the brother of the one who played for us.  Doesn't look like the talent is genetic!

28 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

It's the brother of the one who played for us.  Doesn't look like the talent is genetic!

His full name appears to be Jean Daniel Dave Lewis Akpa Akpro. Some interesting cultural mixes there. 

8 hours ago, Careca9 said:

Defo a point won there. 2 games undefeated so hopefully confidence can grow. Another good half from Rowe, and with him only playing 45 there is no reason why he shouldn’t start sat as from watching he has to play atm. U feel Clarke also has to come in but any more changes and potential is we will disrupt too much again. Be interested to see what happens for sat 

Yes 1 point was a relief to get. We were second best to often last night. Rowe actually didn’t have a full 45 mins.  He did make a difference when he came on.  Bahamboula came on at half time and spent most of it walking, oh apart from one lung bursting sprint back 50m chasing someone, followed by another 10 minutes walking.

Ntambwe loves a foul doesn't he. Got away w it at weekend, but last nites ref was having none of it.

He did at least pass the ball sometimes, instead of just 'doing a Pidge' and ignoring the easy pass in favour of smacking it 70 yards out for a goal kick.

16 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

I'll probably regret it but I'll be breaking my iFollow virginity tonight.  How long before kick-off should I be expecting to see something on screen?

Well the quality of the stream was better than I expected. No chance I'll be doing that on most Saturdays, far better things to do, but dull midweek winter nights might see a revisit. 

26 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Well the quality of the stream was better than I expected. No chance I'll be doing that on most Saturdays, far better things to do, but dull midweek winter nights might see a revisit. 

It’s clear that I need to improve the quality of my Saturdays.

Please help me out here Dave, I need saving from myself...I am one of (probably) many who either spends Saturday afternoon at the football (or watching the game on iFollow during these extraordinary times)  - failing that  I am with Jeff and the boys between 3pm and 5pm.

What are these ‘far better things’ that you do on a Saturday afternoon? Any more performances like last night and I need to know that there is an alternative! 😀

If that had been an away game, we'd have been pleased at nicking a point despite being under pressure for much of the game. A "smash and grab".  

Currently I don't think playing at home gives an advantage in many matches, and overall results indicate that, so I'll take last night's point thank you very much..

12 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

It’s clear that I need to improve the quality of my Saturdays.

Please help me out here Dave, I need saving from myself...I am one of (probably) many who either spends Saturday afternoon at the football (or watching the game on iFollow during these extraordinary times)  - failing that  I am with Jeff and the boys between 3pm and 5pm.

What are these ‘far better things’ that you do on a Saturday afternoon? Any more performances like last night and I need to know that there is an alternative! 😀

Primarily watching non-league stuff locally but there's a long list after that.

53 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Yes 1 point was a relief to get. We were second best to often last night. Rowe actually didn’t have a full 45 mins.  He did make a difference when he came on.  Bahamboula came on at half time and spent most of it walking, oh apart from one lung bursting sprint back 50m chasing someone, followed by another 10 minutes walking.

Bahamboula is best as a central attacking midfielder, not wide IMO.

5 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

If that had been an away game, we'd have been pleased at nicking a point despite being under pressure for much of the game. A "smash and grab".  

Currently I don't think playing at home gives an advantage in many matches, and overall results indicate that, so I'll take last night's point thank you very much..

No home crowd support does seem to have some effect on results.

Archived