6 minutes ago, laticsmarra said:

Perhaps he would then be the first Manager sacked while ill with covid. If that were to hapoen we would cement our position at the bottom of the EFL Human Relations league.

....and good luck to anyone developing a vaccine for that!

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Stainrod said:

Dearnley unfortunately offers little, he has the knack currently of scoring but that’s it.

If he carries on scoring regularly that’ll do me. To hell with this modern day coaching bollocks that strikers must track back, put a shift in, blah blah.

Two words to that. Gerd Muller.

2 hours ago, SweeperKeeper said:

The squad was better last season, but we would be no better this season under Maamria and probably worse.

No idea why people are pining for him, I would take any other manager we've had under the current regime over him.  

You've a lot to choose from....

4 hours ago, BP1960 said:

It will be struggle to get the ball to them when 2 holding midfielders are always in their own half like McCalmont and Whelen.

Spot on. Exactly the reason England have struggled to score goals lately, given Southgate’s obsession with playing two holding midfielders.

3 hours ago, SweeperKeeper said:

The squad was better last season, but we would be no better this season under Maamria and probably worse.

No idea why people are pining for him, I would take any other manager we've had under the current regime over him.  

Who the manager is does.not.matter.

9 hours ago, latics22 said:

So  now the worst tactician in history is our saving light? This board is ridiculous...

What's ridiculous is that their people who still believe that managers tactics have had anything to do with our abject failure over the last 3 years, and inevitable slide into non-league in the next 2 years.

This squad is well short of quality and experience and is getting worse every year, no tactical formula is going to change that.

26 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

What's ridiculous is that their people who still believe that managers tactics have had anything to do with our abject failure over the last 3 years, and inevitable slide into non-league in the next 2 years.

This squad is well short of quality and experience and is getting worse every year, no tactical formula is going to change that.

Only to a point.

No manager was going to take last season's team up.

But I think plenty of managers could have had us playing better football than the ultra-negative shite dished up, and ended up finishing higher than 19th.  

Wild and Bunn were never setting us up for a point at home to Stevenage, when the squad was capable of three points.

19 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Only to a point.

No manager was going to take last season's team up.

But I think plenty of managers could have had us playing better football than the ultra-negative shite dished up, and ended up finishing higher than 19th.  

Wild and Bunn were never setting us up for a point at home to Stevenage, when the squad was capable of three points.

Bunn and Wild had better squads to work with, and this team will struggle to finish 19th.

The 1st team managers position and their tactics are a complete irrelevance to what is going on at the club. They are all pissing into a Force 10 gale.

44 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Bunn and Wild had better squads to work with, and this team will struggle to finish 19th.

The 1st team managers position and their tactics are a complete irrelevance to what is going on at the club. They are all pissing into a Force 10 gale.

I think they would have done better with the same squad.  Simple as that.

31 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

I think they would have done better with the same squad.  Simple as that.

Football experts talk about confidence a great deal. I dont see we have much, a string of poor results in proper games (not pre season practice stuff) wont help.

I listen to HK waxing on about big changes which will need 3 years to bed in  .... come on Harry.

I agree with you that PW or FB had a natural enthusiasm and positive demeanour, which is surely infectious?

While I was for giving Dino a chance with his players (never had that chance really), his outlook was to avoid defeat to any side.

This is so one dimensional, we all saw how it could be wasteful against weaker sides or pointless against a Salford at home.

Apparently, this is what the Vale coach had to say after the game......,

Port vale coach speaking after the game on BBC stoke on how vale planned to expose 2 weak Oldham full backs and lack of muscle in midfield & lack of height at CB . He quoted watching videos of previous Oldham games this season how easy it is to get behind our full backs . 

We’ve all alluded to this since the season’s opener and it’s so obvious........how is it everyone can see it except our coach?

3 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

it’s a tough job under AL and we are going backwards but HK has hardly helped. U can’t honestly say selection so far has been either consistent or that we are making progress as players get used to each other. He has to take a small portion of blame for where we are as we keep conceding loads of goals

54 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

it’s a tough job under AL and we are going backwards but HK has hardly helped. U can’t honestly say selection so far has been either consistent or that we are making progress as players get used to each other. He has to take a small portion of blame for where we are as we keep conceding loads of goals

It's not a tough job it's an impossible job.

I've stopped blaming managers for pretty much anything the minute lifelong Latics fan and aspiring coach Pete Wild turned down his dream job of managing the club to manage Halifax town.

Tactics, team selection and formations are as relevant as deck chair arrangements on the titanic.

3 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Port vale coach speaking after the game on BBC stoke on how vale planned to expose 2 weak Oldham full backs and lack of muscle in midfield & lack of height at CB . He quoted watching videos of previous Oldham games this season how easy it is to get behind our full backs . 

We’ve all alluded to this since the season’s opener and it’s so obvious........how is it everyone can see it except our coach?

Perhaps those doing the recruitment should have identified these issues.

19 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Perhaps those doing the recruitment should have identified these issues.

Kewell is another experiment which appears to be nose diving early doors. Although as we know the issues lie much deeper than him

4 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Interesting view.  Formations don't always matter at our level, but I'm surprised we didn't keep with the back three that we had in the previous two games.  Granted we weren't particularly good against Carlisle, but the back three offered much needed protection for the wing-backs.  One of the minor positives is that we have a bit of quality in attack with our front three, so we can afford to put an extra player as part of the defensive unit.  It is badly needed.

3 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

It's not a tough job it's an impossible job.

I've stopped blaming managers for pretty much anything the minute lifelong Latics fan and aspiring coach Pete Wild turned down his dream job of managing the club to manage Halifax town.

Tactics, team selection and formations are as relevant as deck chair arrangements on the titanic.

can’t agree. Ur giving the management team a free ride. The team is poor but I don’t think they are getting the best out of the squad 

8 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

can’t agree. Ur giving the management team a free ride. The team is poor but I don’t think they are getting the best out of the squad 

How can I blame the coaching staff when they don't have total control over team selection or recruitment.

10 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

An old fashioned 4-4-2 would be better, 2 full backs and 2 wingers.

But that's not in the trendy coaching manual anymore.

I would show the first half of that game in the dressing room as a lesson on how not to defend. It was unreal how bad we were at the back. Could have been 3 or 4 down in the first 20 mins! There are goals at the other end with Dearnley, Mcaleny and Rowe but got to stop shipping goals. Piergianni needs another decent CB along side him. I am worried we could be Southends first win on Tuesday.

52 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

An old fashioned 4-4-2 would be better, 2 full backs and 2 wingers.

But that's not in the trendy coaching manual anymore.

4-4-2.    4-3-3     4-5-1     4-1-4-1.....Diamonds , high press , play from the back........all totally irrelevant if you concede from corners at one end and miss free headers from corners at the other end or if their players are faster than ours or better technically 

what really matters is players ability.... that is probably where we are coming unstuck...some of our players aren’t very good 

Archived