FA Cup 20/21

1 hour ago, Ritchierich said:

I'm struggling to think of our players as elite sportsmen 😏

It is a difficult concept for sure.....but every single one of our team would have been far and away the best footballer in their school and town at their age....if you think that 92 teams have say 25 first squad players that is only 2300 first team footballers in the country...if you then think that they range from 18 to 32 that is 14 school years so that means only 164 players a year make it as pro footbalker

yes some dodgy assumptions and massive over simplifications in there but in reality anybody who makes as a pro footballer is a genuine elite athlete

orwell might have said some are more elite than others though 😀

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always struggle with this assumption that these are the best players when they were younger. My lad played for a very successful Junior team in Warrington which played in the top division. We had a midfield player who had been on Everton’s books and he was an absolute joy to watch, skilful, lovely passer, could use either foot. He was by far the best player in the league. A scout from Oldham came to watch a few games and decided instead to invite another player for trials, nobody could believe it, this other lad had pace but couldn’t hit a barn door from 10 yards and was only in the team because regular player was on holiday. Needless to say he didn’t make it. 

7 minutes ago, cheshireblue said:

I always struggle with this assumption that these are the best players when they were younger. My lad played for a very successful Junior team in Warrington which played in the top division. We had a midfield player who had been on Everton’s books and he was an absolute joy to watch, skilful, lovely passer, could use either foot. He was by far the best player in the league. A scout from Oldham came to watch a few games and decided instead to invite another player for trials, nobody could believe it, this other lad had pace but couldn’t hit a barn door from 10 yards and was only in the team because regular player was on holiday. Needless to say he didn’t make it. 

He wasn’t called Dylan Fage was he? 

1 minute ago, Dick_Valentine said:

He wasn’t called Dylan Fage was he? 

Haha, no but it was at the time I used to watch Guy Branson struggle to control a ball before hoofing it 70 yards into touch on a Saturday then watch our gloriously gifted midfield player being ignored by scouts on a Sunday. Just didn’t seem right and had me wondering how the hell a scout had thought Branson could be a footballer.

15 minutes ago, cheshireblue said:

Probably because you can't coach pace but it's possible to build on it. 

9 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Like a really shit episode of Scooby Doo 

Yeah.

Blitz under an Abdallah mask tryna kill the club to make more piles of cash. When the mask comes off a group of fans appear next to him, start rimming him and start calling him the saviour.

Shitpeas useless cunt starts tryna pull his own mask off, but he just hurts himself bc he isn't even wearing one, he's just a useless cunt.

HK turns out to be a random number generator programmed to turn out random numbers between 1-50 until there's a 16 man squad for a match day.

Mo turns out to be Corney and he jumps into Blitz's lap for a well done stroke.

26 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Yeah.

Blitz under an Abdallah mask tryna kill the club to make more piles of cash. When the mask comes off a group of fans appear next to him, start rimming him and start calling him the saviour.

Shitpeas useless cunt starts tryna pull his own mask off, but he just hurts himself bc he isn't even wearing one, he's just a useless cunt.

HK turns out to be a random number generator programmed to turn out random numbers between 1-50 until there's a 16 man squad for a match day.

Mo turns out to be Corney and he jumps into Blitz's lap for a well done stroke.

😂😂 Thanks that actually cheered me up!!

1 hour ago, rosa said:

There's a crowd funder going for H&RB's match commentary team, Radio (ahem) Beaver. Given that they're missing out on a bumper pay day behind the bar it might be nice if we could throw them a few quid. 

https://gogetfunding.com/hrbfc/ 

With the TV money plus their losers fee, H&RB stand to make £38,000 from the game on Sunday.  That’s a significant amount of money so I reckon they’ll be ‘reet . 😉

• 2 weeks later...

The Second Round fixture at Bradford City on Saturday 28 November 2020 (3pm kick off) has been selected for live single-camera broadcast on BBC digital platforms, i player and BBC website.

Each club gets £12,500.

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2020/november/16112020-fa-cup-second-round-

tv/https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54924212

1 hour ago, LaticMark said:

The Second Round fixture at Bradford City on Saturday 28 November 2020 (3pm kick off) has been selected for live single-camera broadcast on BBC digital platforms, i player and BBC website.

Each club gets £12,500.

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2020/november/16112020-fa-cup-second-round-

tv/https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54924212

Nice bonus 

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

So apart from the obvious it's going to be Donny, what do people want. 

For me we need to avoid City or Libpool, these will cricket score us, more so City as Liverpool will only play a team of half international and half kids. Personally someone like Marine this round then a big boy 4th round. Perhaps not Stockport  this round as they look a tidy side. 

18 minutes ago, disjointed said:

For me we need to avoid City or Libpool, these will cricket score us, more so City as Liverpool will only play a team of half international and half kids. Personally someone like Marine this round then a big boy 4th round. Perhaps not Stockport  this round as they look a tidy side. 

Would prefer an easy tie such as Man Utd or Marine, with one of the big boys in the next round...

1 hour ago, disjointed said:

Yeah, tend to agree. 

The worst draws are lower championship sides - their not glamour ties so no TV and there’s a good chance you’ll get beat. 

Archived