Southend (A)

It's already a big game at the bottom of the league.  The only saving grace at the bottom of the league is that Scunny and Southend's goal difference is significantly worse than ours.  And while their defences are about as bad as ours, we seem to have a much more potent frontline.  We need to use that to our advantage on Tuesday and I'd go for:

Lawlor

Ntambwe

Clarke

Piergianni

Fage

Bahamboula

Garrity (or whoever's fit)

Barnett

Dearnley

Rowe

McAleny

The front three picks itself, other than that there's a lot of questionable positions.  Playing a creative roaming player like Bahamboula in a central midfield two would usually be a bit of a risk, but with a back three, wing-backs and a holding midfielder behind him I think he'd have protection to be a big attacking threat. 

Ntambwe is the physical presence that we need for a game like this, I'd put him in the back three to protect the full backs/wing backs, but he could also sit in front of the defence as well if needed.

I think Hamer needs dropping which is why I'd have Fage in.  I'd keep Barnett in ahead of CBJ because I think he'd be up for the scrap more.  That said I really think they're all much of a muchness for the wing-back roles.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neither Garrity nor Jombati featured in the match day squad on Saturday. One of the two must be our COVID positive? 

Or are they both injured? 

Either way I agree that Ntambwe, Clarke and Piergianni should be the back three. I would also be interested to see how far off a return Badan is.

5 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

It's already a big game at the bottom of the league.  The only saving grace at the bottom of the league is that Scunny and Southend's goal difference is significantly worse than ours.  And while their defences are about as bad as ours, we seem to have a much more potent frontline.  We need to use that to our advantage on Tuesday and I'd go for:

Lawlor

Ntambwe

Clarke

Piergianni

Fage

Bahamboula

Garrity (or whoever's fit)

Barnett

Dearnley

Rowe

McAleny

The front three picks itself, other than that there's a lot of questionable positions.  Playing a creative roaming player like Bahamboula in a central midfield two would usually be a bit of a risk, but with a back three, wing-backs and a holding midfielder behind him I think he'd have protection to be a big attacking threat. 

Ntambwe is the physical presence that we need for a game like this, I'd put him in the back three to protect the full backs/wing backs, but he could also sit in front of the defence as well if needed.

I think Hamer needs dropping which is why I'd have Fage in.  I'd keep Barnett in ahead of CBJ because I think he'd be up for the scrap more.  That said I really think they're all much of a muchness for the wing-back roles.

He will play 2 holding midfielders as usual.

5 hours ago, BP1960 said:

He will play 2 holding midfielders as usual.

Bar Grant, and he's more of a forward than a midfielder all our central midfielders are holding midfielders. 

Bahamboula could perhaps play there and the same with Keillor-Dunn. But I don't think we'd want either playing there, Keillor-Dunn is quite lightweight and Bahamboula doesn't strike me as having the defensive mindset to play Central midfield. 

We missed Garrity's runs into the box on Saturday, as well as his height. 

Anyone else who hasn't played central midfield this season, who is likely to be able to play there is quite defensive orientated. 

3-4-3 with Rowe dropping deep is probably our best bet. The defensive midfielders have a bit more license to get forward that way. 

8 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Bar Grant, and he's more of a forward than a midfielder all our central midfielders are holding midfielders. 

Bahamboula could perhaps play there and the same with Keillor-Dunn. But I don't think we'd want either playing there, Keillor-Dunn is quite lightweight and Bahamboula doesn't strike me as having the defensive mindset to play Central midfield. 

We missed Garrity's runs into the box on Saturday, as well as his height. 

Anyone else who hasn't played central midfield this season, who is likely to be able to play there is quite defensive orientated. 

3-4-3 with Rowe dropping deep is probably our best bet. The defensive midfielders have a bit more license to get forward that way. 

Problem is McCalmont and Whelan have a nose bleed if crossing the half way line.

As you say Garrity looks the best option.

Although didnt Hamer play midfield as a youth and could add some bite in there?

Also, I wonder if Barnett or Jombati could adapt?

Clutching at straws really.

25 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Problem is McCalmont and Whelan have a nose bleed if crossing the half way line.

Maouche and McCann are still available...

35 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Playing Hamer in midfield could be a disaster.

His passing is atrocious and he only tries to tackle when the man has gone past him

Barnet gets booked every week at full/wing back so asking him to provide "bite" in midfield wouldn't last long.

Jombati may be an option but we really need someone to drive forward from midfield, a bit like Fane did on occasions last season.

13 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Why has he gone worse?

Dino and HK are not really going to help him develop. Maybe he’s lost his way when he didn’t get the move he wanted ? Maybe he’s happy being a below average league 2 full back ? 

I never thought he was particularly good, technically pretty poor, never been able to defend and certainly offers nothing going forward. Can’t pass, and an over rated long throw.

Nice to see the academy players come through and play for us, but he’s just not good enough. The fact we have to highlight he gets beat every game, and opposition managers highlighting him as weak says it all. But he could improve, but we don’t have the luxury or the infrastructure to allow him to unfortunately. 

39 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Why has he gone worse?

Last season you could see Wheater constantly coaching him through matches, telling him where to stand.

I bet Peter Clarke used to do the same.

Another reason why losing those two was such a big loss.

We've even got Alan Maybury coaching now, who was an international standard right back. If he can't teach him, it's a lost cause at this level.

Archived