MATCH: Salford

listening to the radio manc post match phone in the host was it minay ? seemed to be checking himself from blurting something out about whats going on at our club several times he couched his comments with the "i have to be carefull what I say " line when discussing selection interference etc is there something  he's holding back ? 

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone knows there’s interference from above the head coach, it’s bloody obvious.

But some continue to vent their spleens at whoever is the head coach this month, or weirdly still, Paul Scholes.

The Sporting Director must love it. Fail miserably and have someone else cop for it each time.

2 minutes ago, ShireBlue said:

Everyone knows there’s interference from above the head coach, it’s bloody obvious.

But some continue to vent their spleens at whoever is the head coach this month, or weirdly still, Paul Scholes.

The Sporting Director must love it. Fail miserably and have someone else cop for it each time.

It's not "still" blaming Paul Scholes - he's come up this week, because we played his team yesterday.  He probably won't be mentioned now until we play Salford next (if he's still in charge).

The owners are to blame for our current predicament - that I think we can all agree on.

We can still express an opinion on the coach though (surely?) because even under these owners, some have been better than others..

It seems to me that whoever is picking the team firmly believes that the majority of the players cannot play two games a week hence the continual squad rotation. 

In fact the only ever-present this season is Piergianni. 

It is fair to say that we had a large number of games in October (p8 w3 d2 l3) and a certain amount of rotation made sense. But it does seem that there are 3 players who are underused (Rowe, Dearnley & Bahamboula) and the team invariably suffers from it. 

This month we have six games - and I’m hoping that our selection team will see sense and settle on our best team. 

Sadly I think we can expect more of the same... 

45 minutes ago, JoeP said:

We can still express an opinion on the coach though (surely?) because even under these owners, some have been better than others..

I think most of us get that

It's just a couple of people who come again and again to a discussion board to tell people there's nothing to discuss about the players or manager because of the owners

Guess farming some cheap thumbs up gets them off or something

We aren't stupid. We get it. We all know that they are 90% of the problem.  It's just that there no point just sitting around saying nothing but "AlMo BaD" for the next ten years, when there may be ways of making the best of a bad situation on the footballing side.

55 minutes ago, JoeP said:

It's not "still" blaming Paul Scholes - he's come up this week, because we played his team yesterday.  He probably won't be mentioned now until we play Salford next (if he's still in charge).

The owners are to blame for our current predicament - that I think we can all agree on.

Do you really think so??

Lets have a look at who has been a permanent head coach during AL's tenure so far:- 

Richie Wellens

Frankie Bunn

Paul Scholes

Laurent Banide

Noureddine Maamria

Harry Kewell

Who out of that list stands out for doing better than the others??

The best we had was the first couple of months of Richie Wellens right at the beginning of when AL took over.  Since then it's just got worst and worst.....

43 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

I think most of us get that

It's just a couple of people who come again and again to a discussion board to tell people there's nothing to discuss about the players or manager because of the owners

Guess farming some cheap thumbs up gets them off or something

We aren't stupid. We get it. We all know that they are 90% of the problem.  It's just that there no point just sitting around saying nothing but "AlMo BaD" for the next ten years, when there may be ways of making the best of a bad situation on the footballing side.

I can see that those who want Kewell gone can clearly recognise the problems that ownership has caused. It's not a binary argument of either the management or the ownership are the problem. The internet does have a knack of pitching people into for/against Left/Right groups.

I know you say that we shouldn't be sat here for 10 years just saying its ALMOs fault but spending the next 10 years changing the manager/Head Coach every 3/6months isn't going to achieve anything either. So if we get rid of Kewell what good will it do when we are in the same position again 3/6 months down the line. The whole rinse and repeat hiring and firing managers is pointless.

Personally I'd rather we just stuck with one manager accept they will make some baffling team selections and tactics accept we might even get a few tonkings and perhaps give us some continuity and that way some of our players might develop as they get a consistent message.

I know to some that will look like I'm defending Kewell Im indifferent to him I'm just tired of this going round in circles with new managers coaches and players.

12 minutes ago, oafc 123 said:

Do you really think so??

Lets have a look at who has been a permanent head coach during AL's tenure so far:- 

Richie Wellens

Frankie Bunn

Paul Scholes

Laurent Banide

Noureddine Maamria

Harry Kewell

The best we had was the first couple of months of Richie Wellens right at the beginning of when AL took over.  Since then it's just got worst and worst.....

I can't be bothered checking. Did the double temporary manager have more games in charge than the permanent ones? 

Has anybody else noticed Pidge’s position for both goals yesterday...similar goals in that both were cut backs from the by line.  Pidge is more or less on the line for both trying to stop the shot.    He should be just outside the 6 yard box anticipating and attempting to intercept or block the pass. He is not the keeper . 

8 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

I can't be bothered checking. Did the double temporary manager have more games in charge than the permanent ones? 

Probably Dave- but I haven't included PW because he got the job by default, and I think we should just go off the managerial recruitment made by AL and co.

17 minutes ago, oafc 123 said:

Do you really think so??

Richie Wellens

Frankie Bunn

Paul Scholes

Laurent Banide

Noureddine Maamria

Harry Kewell

All of them ahead of Scholes.. 😆

Pete Wild did better than most.

It's not an argument I've got much enthusiasm for, to be honest.  The bottom line, where we all agree, is that success for any manager is pretty much impossible under these owners. 

33 minutes ago, oafc 123 said:

Do you really think so??

Richie Wellens

Frankie Bunn

Paul Scholes

Laurent Banide

Noureddine Maamria

Harry Kewell

Frankie Bunn is the only one to have had us in the top half of this god awful league 

26 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I can see that those who want Kewell gone can clearly recognise the problems that ownership has caused. It's not a binary argument of either the management or the ownership are the problem. The internet does have a knack of pitching people into for/against Left/Right groups.

I know you say that we shouldn't be sat here for 10 years just saying its ALMOs fault but spending the next 10 years changing the manager/Head Coach every 3/6months isn't going to achieve anything either. So if we get rid of Kewell what good will it do when we are in the same position again 3/6 months down the line. The whole rinse and repeat hiring and firing managers is pointless.

Personally I'd rather we just stuck with one manager accept they will make some baffling team selections and tactics accept we might even get a few tonkings and perhaps give us some continuity and that way some of our players might develop as they get a consistent message.

I know to some that will look like I'm defending Kewell Im indifferent to him I'm just tired of this going round in circles with new managers coaches and players.

Don't worry you don't look like you're defending Kewell

You're just doing your one post again

The idea that any change to players or manager at all will make no difference to what we watch each week is daft.  

We won't achieve success, but we could be less shit.

3 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

The idea that any change to players or manager at all will make no difference to what we watch each week is daft.  

But as the cliche goes, if you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

All we can expect is either another rookie or somebody who is just grateful for a job because he hasn't achieved anything elsewhere.

9 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Only way we are going to get better in the short term is to recruit better players. A better coach would probably bring a bit more tactical nous and organisation but it is going to take more than that to get to where fans seem to think we should be.

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

It seems to me that whoever is picking the team firmly believes that the majority of the players cannot play two games a week hence the continual squad rotation. 

In fact the only ever-present this season is Piergianni. 

It is fair to say that we had a large number of games in October (p8 w3 d2 l3) and a certain amount of rotation made sense. But it does seem that there are 3 players who are underused (Rowe, Dearnley & Bahamboula) and the team invariably suffers from it. 

This month we have six games - and I’m hoping that our selection team will see sense and settle on our best team. 

Sadly I think we can expect more of the same... 

So why does Piergiana play every game at 28yo while the younger ones can't...is it because he has more guts and dedication than them?

38 minutes ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

Has anybody else noticed Pidge’s position for both goals yesterday...similar goals in that both were cut backs from the by line.  Pidge is more or less on the line for both trying to stop the shot.    He should be just outside the 6 yard box anticipating and attempting to intercept or block the pass. He is not the keeper . 

Maybe it's because he's trying do the job of 2 players?

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Only way we are going to get better in the short term is to recruit better players. A better coach would probably bring a bit more tactical nous and organisation but it is going to take more than that to get to where fans seem to think we should be.

Not necessarily.  The majority of this division is shite.

Having our strongest 11 knowing what they should be doing- giving their all, will be a good start.

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

I'm under no illusions that we are not going to get where we should be under these owners.  None at all.

But I'm sick of hearing, mainly from people who don't even watch us most weeks, that this is is the best it could be under these owners. That's just a load of crap.

We've even been better previously under them than we are now.

Tactical nous and organisation would be a good start.

Having two centre backs and two defensive midfielders when the manager wants to play with two centre backs and two defensive midfielders would be even better.

1 minute ago, SweeperKeeper said:

I'm under no illusions that we are not going to get where we should be under these owners.  None at all.

But I'm sick of hearing, mainly from people who don't even watch us most weeks, that this is is the best it could be under these owners. That's just a load of crap.

We've even been better previously under them than we are now.

Tactical nous and organisation would be a good start.

Having two centre backs and two defensive midfielders when the manager wants to play with two centre backs and two defensive midfielders would be even better.

We were better when the budget was higher, you can't keep cutting that and expect to move forwards.

9 minutes ago, oafc 123 said:

But as the cliche goes, if you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

All we can expect is either another rookie or somebody who is just grateful for a job because he hasn't achieved anything elsewhere.

No problem with rookies with something about them - pretty much every manager who's had any success with us in the last fifty years has been a novice

5 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

We were better when the budget was higher, you can't keep cutting that and expect to move forwards.

Is our budget now that much lower than under Wild?

Is our budget much less than Morecambe, Newport or Crawley?

Is our budget stopping us putting our best players on the pitch?

Is our budget stopping us having two defensive midfielders when we play two every week, when we have four players covering one attacking midfield slot?

6 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

No problem with rookies with something about them - pretty much every manager who's had any success with us in the last fifty years has been a novice

But we have no way of knowing if they are going to be better or worst than what we already have.

Every sacking of a manager impacts on our budget.   It's a big gamble, which going off all the previous appointments looks near impossible to succeed.

Archived