MATCH: Salford

3 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Has this ever actually been confirmed, or is it just rumour? Why have none of our ex managers confirmed it?

Serious question, I don't tend to follow anything Latics related on social media and rarely come on here

How can they confirm it? Would make themselves an absolute laughing stock within the game.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would expect our commentary team read this board.

can you please seek clarification as to whether HK picks the team to put the matter to bed.

if he doesn’t then the club should be transparent enough to announce this and provide details of the clubs strategy, outlining that HK is here to coach only (which would be ridiculous).

if he does then how can an individual with his playing background show such poor ability to pick a player.

Blackwood will never be a success here.

Grant should not even be in the squad.

CBJ needs to wake up and focus, there may be a player there but I doubt it as we should have seen it by now.

other than Piergianni and Clarke we have players who appear detached and not committed to the game.

after 50 years of support I now concur with those who have said It already, this is the worst Latics team I too have seen. I suppose we only need to look at the table to reach that conclusion.

unfortunately, and at odds with some on here, Dearnley and Rowe are not the answer and are very limited.

6 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Has this ever actually been confirmed, or is it just rumour? Why have none of our ex managers confirmed it?

Serious question, I don't tend to follow anything Latics related on social media and rarely come on here

I don't doubt the owners interfere

But

I didn't hear anybody claiming that when the team was picked for Vale last Saturday.  

Most people said that was our best XI, give or take. Certainly nobody was complaining about interference then.

Strange for that to happen one week, and then it's back to "someone else is picking the team" seven days later

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

How can they confirm it? Would make themselves an absolute laughing stock within the game.

So we're just assuming this is the case then? I'd have thought at least one ex manager would have complained about the owners meddling 

I don't support these clowns btw, just want to know what this is based on other than assumptions 

I think we all knew what the outcome would be when the team was announced, so negative from the start,HK ain’t a clue and a squad of gutless shower, first and last £10 paid to watch such shite again!! Do one AL +MO+ BO 🤡🤡

It's weird that Kewell would want to sit on the sidelines watching the owners' team lose every week if he really had nothing at all to do with selection and recruitment.

Not like he's short of a few bob and we won't be paying him much.  Nothing to gain but a bad reputation.

So we're just assuming this is the case then? I'd have thought at least one ex manager would have complained about the owners meddling 

I don't support these clowns btw, just want to know what this is based on other than assumptions 

Most of them have hinted to it without absolutely confirming. Like I say, realistically no manager worth his salt is going to flat out admit to it.

4 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

I don't doubt the owners interfere

But

I didn't hear anybody claiming that when the team was picked for Vale last Saturday.  

Most people said that was our best XI, give or take. Certainly nobody was complaining about interference then.

Strange for that to happen one week, and then it's back to "someone else is picking the team" seven days later

Yes but today we didn't play the strongest squad today, did we? Surely you keep a winning side together. In fact we played a much weaker side in my opinion today. 

Where did that decision come from? 

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

Most of them have hinted to it without absolutely confirming. Like I say, realistically no manager worth his salt is going to flat out admit to it.

Why not? It's not an indictment on them. Surely you'd rather people thought you left/were sacked because of meddling owners, rather than incompetence?

6 minutes ago, ChrisRichard said:

Yes but today we didn't play the strongest squad today, did we? Surely you keep a winning side together. In fact we played a much weaker side in my opinion today. 

Where did that decision come from? 

My guess is that Mo and Kewell are both involved in picking the team.

It doesn't make sense to say it's Mo when Grant plays and not when Dearnley does.

I'm also not sure what Mo would get out of playing loaners like Grant and McCalmont over players we own like Dearnley and Bahamboula.  It's not like he's going to profit from selling them, is he?

Lawlor - good keeper, a fair few decent saves.

Clarke - decent young player

Piergianni - he's alright.

Jameson - thought he deserved a start after Tuesday, but his weak defending lead to the opener and he deserved to be taken off.

Fage - some poor passes and slips and he's not great, but I prefer him to Hamer in that role.

Ntambwe - it's unfortunate that he's a downgrade on McCann for his role, but I'm glad that we've got a more physical option in the centre of midfield.

Whelan - not overly convinced.  Unlucky with his chance in the 2nd half.  For his size in the centre of midfield he needs to show more quality on the ball on a consistent basis.

CBJ - has the build and flashes of ability that should make him ideal for the wingback role, but too many misplaced passes in dangerous positions and poor deliveries from crosses makes you wonder if he should start or not.

Blackwood - probably more lively than previous outings, but not really a threat.  He reminds me a bit of Lee Erwin, he needs too much protection at the moment to be considered a target man despite his height.  Interesting to see how he develops but the selection of other forwards hung him out to dry.

Grant - pretty poor.  That terrible free kick was so frustrating.

DKD - best league performance from him, but mainly because he was energetic and set a quick tempo, rather than him playing that well.

Subs (no idea why they didn't start)

Bahamboula - tried a few things but didn't really make an impact.

Dearnley - ditto.

Rowe - ditto.

Kewell - I think the formation suits the squad well as we have players who can fill in when we rotate the squad.  But in terms of selection I hope for his sake that it's been interfered with!  I didn't rate Salford that highly but the difference was the threat that their frontline caused, which is especially infuriating given that we started with our three best available attacking players on the bench!  I'd have a problem with him being sacked, but not because he's anything special, mainly because his replacement would either be worse or make no difference under our ownership structure.

With a lockdown probably on the way, I can't see us having a game for a little while, so it's a good time to take stock of the situation.  Going off the first 10 games I think there will be 2 teams who are consistently worse than us that will probably keep us up (probably Southend and Scunthorpe).  But that's the limit of our ambitions under the current setup which is nowhere near good enough.  Rotation will be need for the rest of the season in the circumstances, but you can't start Keillor-Dunn and Grant for two matches in a week while Rowe and Dearnley are on the bench for both!

Survival on and off the pitch is likely to be the most we can hope for given the ownership and the impact of Covid, but unfortunately the club is clearly in the malaise that we were in for the last decade in League One, just in the league below.

I'm just not having it that people with the profile of Scholes and Kewell would allow themselves to be bullied into picking the team by some absolute no mark. It doesn't make any sense.  

Whoever it was who chose the starting line up it was diabolcal.

I'm just not having it that people with the profile of Scholes and Kewell would allow themselves to be bullied into picking the team by some absolute no mark. It doesn't make any sense.  

Bullied-😂

As has been said many times, we operate in the grey area. Where Mo has ‘an opinion’  but Harry ‘picks the team’. 

That's exactly why Scholes walked so no he wasn't bullied he walked out.

9 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

That's ridiculous. Scholes walked! 

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

Bullied-😂

As has been said many times, we operate in the grey area. Where Mo has ‘an opinion’  but Harry ‘picks the team’. 

OK. But again, why would someone of Kewell's stature just accept someone with no standing in the game giving his "opinion"?

It's not like he's Wild who came from the U15s. The guys a Champions League winner. 

8 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Whoever it was who chose the starting line up it was diabolcal.

Agreed.

Recruitment is just as bad though

I'd happily sack off some of our "attacking" midfielders and amateur full backs for one decent right back, one decent left back, and one defensive midfielder.

Hard to put out a balanced team with what we have.

2 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

OK. But again, why would someone of Kewell's stature just accept someone with no standing in the game giving his "opinion"?

It's not like he's Wild who came from the U15s. The guys a Champions League winner. 

What has his playing career got to do with it? Plenty of stellar players are shit managers. Indeed he got sacked from Crawley- so I’d say as a rookie manager he’s very lucky to get another go in league football- most don’t. 

The reason he took this job, and accepts ‘opinion’ is the same as the rest. They’re deluded enough to think it will be different for them. 

356 managers later it turns out.

It’s not. 

Archived