MATCH: Salford

23 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I'm just not having it that people with the profile of Scholes and Kewell would allow themselves to be bullied into picking the team by some absolute no mark. It doesn't make any sense.  

Whether Scholes will end up being a good manager or not remains to be seen, but I think that quitting us after 31 days rather than grinning and bearing it shows that he wasn't prepared to be bullied over selection.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, League one forever said:

What has his playing career got to do with it? Plenty of stellar players are shit managers. Indeed he got sacked from Crawley- so I’d say as a rookie manager he’s very lucky to get another go in league football- most don’t. 

The reason he took this job, and accepts ‘opinion’ is the same as the rest. They’re deluded enough to think it will be different for them. 

356 managers later it turns out.

It’s not. 

He actually did OK at Crawley and jumped ship to Notts County (which turned out to be a really naive, maybe even a stupid move).  I saw his team play Exeter at the end of his full season at Crawley when Exeter were pushing for automatic and they deservedly held them to a 2-2 draw.

My issue is that I think he's naively taken the job believing that he'll get the time and free reign to do a similar job that he had at Crawley (they started the season very slowly but developed into a fairly decent team by the end of it).  There's no guarantee of that here and I think he'll pay the price, unless he genuinely has the owner's ear.

1 minute ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

He actually did OK at Crawley and jumped ship to Notts County (which turned out to be a really naive, maybe even a stupid move).  I saw his team play Exeter at the end of his full season at Crawley when Exeter were pushing for automatic and they deservedly held them to a 2-2 draw.

My issue is that I think he's naively taken the job believing that he'll get the time and free reign to do a similar job that he had at Crawley (they started the season very slowly but developed into a fairly decent team by the end of it).  There's no guarantee of that here and I think he'll pay the price, unless he genuinely has the owner's ear.

Sorry- your right. Getting county and Crawley mixed up. 

11 minutes ago, League one forever said:

What has his playing career got to do with it? Plenty of stellar players are shit managers. Indeed he got sacked from Crawley- so I’d say as a rookie manager he’s very lucky to get another go in league football- most don’t. 

The reason he took this job, and accepts ‘opinion’ is the same as the rest. They’re deluded enough to think it will be different for them. 

356 managers later it turns out.

It’s not. 

My point is that he has a much, much bigger standing in the game than some bloke called Mo. Do you really think someone who has played in a CL final is going to listen to some guy saying "yeah, i think you should drop your 3 best attacking players for the next game mate"? 

I'm not denying there's probably some meddling going on, and that the owners are bellends, but to say Mo is choosing the team every week just seems like conspiracy to me. If someone can offer proof it's definitely happening than fair enough,  I'll hold my hands up. 

28 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Agreed.

Recruitment is just as bad though

I'd happily sack off some of our "attacking" midfielders and amateur full backs for one decent right back, one decent left back, and one defensive midfielder.

Hard to put out a balanced team with what we have.

In an average season I'd agree, but this year I'd disagree.

With the regular Saturday/Tuesday games I think the squad will need rotating as the season goes on, so quantity over quality isn't an awful idea. 

But with the forwards we've got it should be crystal clear who the better players are.  Today's selection shows that it isn't to whoever's making the decisions and we're suffering because of it.

5 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

My point is that he has a much, much bigger standing in the game than some bloke called Mo. Do you really think someone who has played in a CL final is going to listen to some guy saying "yeah, i think you should drop your 3 best attacking players for the next game mate"? 

I'm not denying there's probably some meddling going on, and that the owners are bellends, but to say Mo is choosing the team every week just seems like conspiracy to me. If someone can offer proof it's definitely happening than fair enough,  I'll hold my hands up. 

Obviously no one will have a video of Mo pinning the team sheet on the dressing room wall. But I can’t believe anyone would doubt there is interference in some way from someone wholly unqualified to interfere. 

On Kewell, his playing career isn’t guaranteeing him jobs. He’ll have taken whatever he could get with whatever conditions attached. 

7 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I definitely see where you're coming from.

I don't think there's a smoking gun example, but there's been a number of implied statements by former managers.

40 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

OK. But again, why would someone of Kewell's stature just accept someone with no standing in the game giving his "opinion"?

It's not like he's Wild who came from the U15s. The guys a Champions League winner. 

He was a CL winner as a player. As a manager, he's a novice and operating at the fag end of the professional game. It's the Chuckle brothers, not HK or any other manager/coach, who call the shots. As others have said, it's exactly why Scholes walked, having given 🤡 plenty of warning that he would do so if there was interference.

1 hour ago, SweeperKeeper said:

My guess is that Mo and Kewell are both involved in picking the team.

It doesn't make sense to say it's Mo when Grant plays and not when Dearnley does.

I'm also not sure what Mo would get out of playing loaners like Grant and McCalmont over players we own like Dearnley and Bahamboula.  It's not like he's going to profit from selling them, is he?

Because he's saving money on overloaded bonus or pay-per-play deals. That's the only thing that would make sense to me. The loans must be cheaper to play.

2 hours ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Has this ever actually been confirmed, or is it just rumour? Why have none of our ex managers confirmed it?

Serious question, I don't tend to follow anything Latics related on social media and rarely come on here

This hasn't been confirmed just a rumour.. 

40 minutes ago, True Tic said:

If this really is the case I wonder how anyone serious about getting into management would come to us! Your reputation is in tatters from the outset. 

Especially if someone as high profile as Paul Scholes wasn't given free rein. Fair enough if it's a Darren Kelly type who's just desperate to get into management, but I highly doubt Kewell is that desperate for money, or a job.

The owners are arseholes and I can't wait for them to leave,  but this desperation to lay every bad tactical decision at their door is weird.

1 hour ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I can understand someone's reticence, but despite an abundance of caution the circumstantial evidence is quite compelling.
NDA's and money are stopping full disclosure. Lemsagams do many dumb things, but they're not dumb enough to let things get out easily.

Interference in the form of saying you're not playing Wheater is obvious.

No way he's handing a team sheet to HK though. Kewell is supposed to coach these players and from what I can see the coaching us fucking abysmal. Even shit players if well coached and drilled will look better than we are looking. 

2 hours ago, True Tic said:

If this really is the case I wonder how anyone serious about getting into management would come to us! Your reputation is in tatters from the outset. 

Because (as it stands) it's still a relatively high profile job. 

Mo and Abdallah were throwing their weight around and imposing players (and therefore tactics) on the manager before they even owned the club. That's why Shez made a protest at Blackpool by only naming three subs. 

Are they still doing it now? Who can be sure, but there seems to be a lot of decisions that remain in keeping with what they've always done. They've made their bed and deserve all the criticism they get.

The really annoying thing is we wouldn't need a tactical genius or great man-motivator to get out of this abysmal league. Just a fairly well balanced squad of organised journeyman lower league players with the odd touch of flair added for good measure.

The people making the big decisions must be totally useless at their "jobs" not to recognise this.

8 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

The really annoying thing is we wouldn't need a tactical genius or great man-motivator to get out of this abysmal league. Just a fairly well balanced squad of organised journeyman lower league players with the odd touch of flair added for good measure.

The people making the big decisions must be totally useless at their "jobs" not to recognise this.

Some of the recruitment has been appalling but looking at teams we have played, I'm convinced a decent coach could have this crew of misfits performing better

24 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Some of the recruitment has been appalling but looking at teams we have played, I'm convinced a decent coach could have this crew of misfits performing better

So the recruitment has been appalling , this crew are misfits.....that is Kewell’s  fault how? .....Or are you saying a better coach would show that recruitment has been ok and the crew aren’t misfits ? 

Just now, Behind Closed Doors said:

So the recruitment has been appalling , this crew are misfits.....that is Kewell’s  fault how? .....Or are you saying a better coach would show that recruitment has been ok and the crew aren’t misfits ? 

I think what he is trying to say is that a decent coach could at least get players to be able to pass - my cousins under 10’s team are utter shite but they do find their own colours more often than not,

Dylan Fage wouldn’t even make their bench 

Just now, Chaddyexile84 said:

I think what he is trying to say is that a decent coach could at least get players to be able to pass - my cousins under 10’s team are utter shite but they do find their own colours more often than not,

Dylan Fage wouldn’t even make their bench 

To be fair I didn’t  think our passing today was that bad. Not particularly effective but ball retention wasn’t that bad.....but when your left centre back gets skinned like that for the first goal you are going to struggle. ....

salford are supposed to be superior to us but had  Dunn’s shot   and Whelan shot both been  9 inches to the right   we would have been talking tonight’s about a text book away performance

Just now, Behind Closed Doors said:

To be fair I didn’t  think our passing today was that bad. Not particularly effective but ball retention wasn’t that bad.....but when your left centre back gets skinned like that for the first goal you are going to struggle. ....

salford are supposed to be superior to us but had  Dunn’s shot   and Whelan shot both been  9 inches to the right   we would have been talking tonight’s about a text book away performance

I’ll have that - didn’t watch today so I’m going off what I have seen when I talk about passing.

If Graeme Sharp had buried his sitter we would have (probably) won the FA Cup and if he’d scored his penalty against Leeds we would have stayed in the Premier League he would be an absolute hero

he didn’t and he isn’t - ifs and maybes are irrelevant 

2 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

I’ll have that - didn’t watch today so I’m going off what I have seen when I talk about passing.

If Graeme Sharp had buried his sitter we would have (probably) won the FA Cup and if he’d scored his penalty against Leeds we would have stayed in the Premier League he would be an absolute hero

he didn’t and he isn’t - ifs and maybes are irrelevant 

They are but they show how fine the margins are and that there is no correlation between that narrowness and the extent of fans reaction

Archived