MATCH: Cheltenham

12 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Maybe so but I wouldn’t like those stats at home every week even if it guaranteed 3 points. I suppose we should be happy with victory of any kind. Maybe I’m being a tad negative but I would occasionally like to see some dominant football from a Latics team when they are playing at home!! 

Never really understood why such a discrepancy between home and away tactics and even less so in the current circumstances 

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One other statistic from yesterday’s game:

The average age of our starting eleven was 22 years and 5 months.

Thinks to himself...’I wonder if that’s why the kickoff was brought forward because half the team had to be in bed by 9:00pm?’ 🤔

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

Controversial maybe but I'm giving DKD 7/10 for last nite and 6/10 for Salford.

l know it's not a great mark but he was 2/10 for the season so far.

7 for running about, 4 for ball retention and distribution.

3 points is all that I care about.  Hopefully Zak's knock isnt anything serious and I think the team showed some life last night and didnt give in and just play for a draw.  Danny Rowe doing Danny Rowe things. Onto battering those dirty Beavers on Saturday! C'mon you Latics!

4 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

One other statistic from yesterday’s game:

The average age of our starting eleven was 22 years and 5 months.

Thinks to himself...’I wonder if that’s why the kickoff was brought forward because half the team had to be in bed by 9:00pm?’ 🤔

In that context it's a good result as many Premiership under 23 teams wouldn't have won that game.

It's a bit surprising some of  the "Dearnley must start every game" boy's haven't been on admitting that perhaps he hasn't been starting because we've been trying to manage his injury.

There's obviously a bit more to this managing ,malarkey than some of us realise.

A good much needed win last night despite the Dearnley blow and kudos to Tom Hamer for the another lung-bursting run onto Rowe's pass culminating in a decent shot.

Disappointing to see he was the only one in the picture when the save was made.

3 hours ago, U.S. Blues said:

3 points is all that I care about.  Hopefully Zak's knock isnt anything serious and I think the team showed some life last night and didnt give in and just play for a draw.  Danny Rowe doing Danny Rowe things. Onto battering those dirty Beavers on Saturday! C'mon you Latics!

Apparently Dearnley has a groin injury that he has been struggling with which seems to have gone again. He could be out 3 or 4 weeks.

DKD had another decent game. Blackwood however, shouldn't be starting.

1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

It's a bit surprising some of  the "Dearnley must start every game" boy's haven't been on admitting that perhaps he hasn't been starting because we've been trying to manage his injury.

There's obviously a bit more to this managing ,malarkey than some of us realise.

A good much needed win last night despite the Dearnley blow and kudos to Tom Hamer for the another lung-bursting run onto Rowe's pass culminating in a decent shot.

Disappointing to see he was the only one in the picture when the save was made.

The first I heard of Dearnley's nagging injury was when it was mentioned in last night's commentary.  Hard to make an informed view of Dearnley starting, if you haven't got all the facts.

Thought our tactics were spot on last night.  Like it or not, Cheltenham are doing better than us.  Null the threat and hit them on the break.  Fantastic that Hamer bounded forward - can't remember the last time a Latics defender did that.  Guess someone was covering him at the back while he pushed forward.

5 minutes ago, JoeP said:

The first I heard of Dearnley's nagging injury was when it was mentioned in last night's commentary.  Hard to make an informed view of Dearnley starting, if you haven't got all the facts.

Thought our tactics were spot on last night.  Like it or not, Cheltenham are doing better than us.  Null the threat and hit them on the break.  Fantastic that Hamer bounded forward - can't remember the last time a Latics defender did that.  Guess someone was covering him at the back while he pushed forward.

Yep, the other bloody nine.

We do need to get more players into the box when attacking and Hamer did charge forward the last match if memory serves me.

It's probably best left to him or the forwards as, with the exception of Garrity, our midfield seem to have an allergy to the opposition's penalty area.   

9 hours ago, JoeP said:

Errr.. I'll take the three points every week, please.

Pointless having the ball if you do fuck all with it!

I think we're a new team, manager and owner away from worrying about how we're play the beautiful game.  Lets just get the results now, eh?

If you have the ball the opposition don’t and can’t do “ fuck all with it” ....If they have it you dont and then you certainly can’t do “ fuck all with it” .......2 good reasons to have the ball. Hardly pointless

6 minutes ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

If you have the ball the opposition don’t and can’t do “ fuck all with it” ....If they have it you dont and then you certainly can’t do “ fuck all with it” .......2 good reasons to have the ball. Hardly pointless

Oh, I agree.  Need the players who can keep possession, though.  We don't seem to have those players at the moment though, so we've got to find another way of winning.  Which we did last night.  Really well.

Cheltenham can have their 70% possession last night.  We'll have the three points.

10 minutes ago, Behind Closed Doors said:

The thing was that although they had plenty of the ball last night they did "fuck all with it" especially first half when they showed the same level of aggressive intent as we did.

It amuses me when people quote phrases like "possession stats" and "ball retention" when as has been said previously the only statistic that means anything is the scoreline.

• Matt changed the title to MATCH: Cheltenham

Archived