Update on Wheater

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Nobody batted an eyelid about Giles Coke being frozen out, Gerrard was a fat waste of space so deserved it, Wellens took us down etc etc.

If you were going to start a campaign to protest against a consistent, club-damaging pattern of behaviour, why wouldn't you do it when it affected one of the most important and popular players?

4 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

You think there are no common factors in so many cases? 

Accumulation of evidence. 

Mostly relatively highly paid player who they want to get off the wage bill, oh unless you were one of ALS imports. 

6 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Nobody batted an eyelid about Giles Coke being frozen out, Gerrard was a fat waste of space so deserved it, Wellens took us down etc etc.

I thought that Giles Coke was treated appallingly - yes we signed a crock, wasn’t his fault and fair play to him getting every penny he could.

Gerrard was a gob shite first time round and arguably worse second time and I’d happily shoot him to the moon - he came across as the nob he is on that podcast too that others thought was brilliant

Wellens had us playing the best football I’ve seen in a long time and had lost what? One? When the fuckwit took over - then we nosedived - Wellens has proven since he is a decent manager and I don’t blame him one bit for our relegation. 

11 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Wellens had us playing the best football I’ve seen in a long time and had lost what? One? When the fuckwit took over - then we nosedived - Wellens has proven since he is a decent manager and I don’t blame him one bit for our relegation. 

Wasn't AL introduced for the Plymouth home defeat? We were on a run of 8 without a win in the league going into that game, including 5 defeats.

2 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

Wasn't AL introduced for the Plymouth home defeat? We were on a run of 8 without a win in the league going into that game, including 5 defeats.

AL was owner in all but name from day one, he and his cream of the French lower leagues were the reason Shez did't name a full compliment of subs after spending 6 weeks saying "who's he"? Everyday on the training ground.  He just seemed to have a break in being a tool before he was given full control.  I did however, not realise just how long there had been between Wellen's purple patch and Plymouth until I just checked. Wow we were shit

1 hour ago, oafcmetty said:

Abdallah had been throwing his weight around the club since the August, when Shez only named three subs at Blackpool in protest of having players imposed on him. 

So admittedly Abdallah was around for Wellens' good spell before it went South, but the evidence since suggests it's Abdallah et al who are incompetent, rather than Wellens.

4 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Abdallah had been throwing his weight around the club since the August, when Shez only named three subs at Blackpool in protest of having players imposed on him. 

So admittedly Abdallah was around for Wellens' good spell before it went South, but the evidence since suggests it's Abdallah et al who are incompetent, rather than Wellens.

I hate the c-unit as much as the next man, but not sure you can blame AL for Wellens failing to pick up a win in those final 8 games.

3 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

I hate the c-unit as much as the next man, but not sure you can blame AL for Wellens failing to pick up a win in those final 8 games.

If Wellens had full control of the team, then absolutely. 

The over whelming evidence is, however, that this wasn't the case. 

19 minutes ago, JoeP said:

If Wellens had full control of the team, then absolutely. 

The over whelming evidence is, however, that this wasn't the case. 

Agreed. But for 90 minutes (x eight) he can stick a few more men up for the last ten minutes and try and turn one of the seven draws into a win. For example he'd already beaten Rochdale and Northampton with the same group of players earlier in the season. If that'd been successful just once, we might not be in L2 today.

31 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Agreed. But for 90 minutes (x eight) he can stick a few more men up for the last ten minutes and try and turn one of the seven draws into a win. For example he'd already beaten Rochdale and Northampton with the same group of players earlier in the season. If that'd been successful just once, we might not be in L2 today.

Or if the clown that was Placide had missed the coach we would have stayed up 

No one can blame Wellens alone for our relegation but as part of the team which took us down he is hardly blameless.

Whilst agreeing back room issues probably made his job harder the fact we went down with a whimper ( Hamer and Edmondson were our final day scorers I think ) must lie at his door primarily. The manager is charged with motivating the team and if he fails, for whatever reason, then by definition he hasn't succeeded in this.

We've all had times at work when circumstances have de-motivated us but have managed to complete tasks successfully albeit under duress 

The fact we needed one win from the last eight matches to survive and failed remains on his CV for me. 

1 hour ago, oafcmetty said:

I hear what you're saying, but I don't think it's ridiculous to believe that factors that Abdallah bought to the party might have even affected that. The more Abdallah restricts what the manager does, the less the manager can do for himself. Abdallah imposes players, therefore he imposes tactics. 

Even if you just bring it down to what happened on the pitch - Moimbe (an AL signing, you assume) doesn't pull Tom Eaves' hair and we stay up!

5 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I hear what you're saying, but I don't think it's ridiculous to believe that factors that Abdallah bought to the party might have even affected that. The more Abdallah restricts what the manager does, the less the manager can do for himself. Abdallah imposes players, therefore he imposes tactics. 

Even if you just bring it down to what happened on the pitch - Moimbe (an AL signing, you assume) doesn't pull Tom Eaves' hair and we stay up!

Of course. I still think exile's comment about not blaming Wellens "one bit" is hyperbole though.

22 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Of course. I still think exile's comment about not blaming Wellens "one bit" is hyperbole though.

I’d struggle to blame Darren Kelly under this lot - the loss of Doyle didn’t help Wellens. The fact remains he showed at Swindon he wasn’t a bad manager 

edit - Kewell can still do one but that’s cos he had a shite record before and he described the performance against Morecambe as “excellent”

only impressive thing about him is you can’t see the strings 

3 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

No one can blame Wellens alone for our relegation but as part of the team which took us down he is hardly blameless.

Whilst agreeing back room issues probably made his job harder the fact we went down with a whimper ( Hamer and Edmondson were our final day scorers I think ) must lie at his door primarily. The manager is charged with motivating the team and if he fails, for whatever reason, then by definition he hasn't succeeded in this.

We've all had times at work when circumstances have de-motivated us but have managed to complete tasks successfully albeit under duress 

The fact we needed one win from the last eight matches to survive and failed remains on his CV for me. 

AL's players were on inflated wages and were being kept up in fancy hotels, weren't they? Tough gig to get the players not in that group motivated, I reckon, especially as they added nothing positive to the team. 

AL literally worked against him. 

If they were just waiting for Wheater to get fit, why bring in Clarke? It's obvious he was, or maybe still is, out of the picture. 

Is it really any of the clubs business where a player chooses to live? As long as it doesn't affect his timekeeping and his ability to play and stay fit, it shouldn't be a problem. The club obviously didn't ask him if he was considering renting a property nearer. It seems to have been assumed he would be commuting. 

1 hour ago, al_bro said:

If they were just waiting for Wheater to get fit, why bring in Clarke? It's obvious he was, or maybe still is, out of the picture. 

Is it really any of the clubs business where a player chooses to live? As long as it doesn't affect his timekeeping and his ability to play and stay fit, it shouldn't be a problem. The club obviously didn't ask him if he was considering renting a property nearer. It seems to have been assumed he would be commuting. 

Thought this myself,

my office is in preston we have a manager (hands on) who lives two hours away in Wales. He commutes and stays over as necessary- he’s probably the best performer on our team over all. The living location is bollocks 

1 hour ago, al_bro said:

It’s been very common for clubs to insist on players living within a certain radius . I can recall Liverpool doing so at one time, Stoke another and way back in the 60s there was a headline in the Boundary Bulletin “ no more stay away stars says Mac” .Jimmy McIlroy laying down the law about where players could live.

Right or wrong the view that hours driving to training, etc have been seen as detrimental.

17 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

It’s been very common for clubs to insist on players living within a certain radius . I can recall Liverpool doing so at one time, Stoke another and way back in the 60s there was a headline in the Boundary Bulletin “ no more stay away stars says Mac” .Jimmy McIlroy laying down the law about where players could live.

Right or wrong the view that hours driving to training, etc have been seen as detrimental.

To be fair getting to Oldham in the 60's if you lived any distance away could be hazardous in winter. Cars these days are luxurious and driving 100 miles is hardly taxing. 

56 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Thought this myself,

my office is in preston we have a manager (hands on) who lives two hours away in Wales. He commutes and stays over as necessary- he’s probably the best performer on our team over all. The living location is bollocks 

You chose to work in Preston? 🤮

Archived