Hampton & MATCH: Richmond Borough FC. FA Cup First Round.

Fage probably had his best game for us so far. Too many poor passes again from all the players. Bamboozle and Fage work well together, but we only really troubled them when someone kept hold of the ball and ran at them like Bamboozle and Clarke did. McCalmont did it once as well. Muir for them, held the ball up really well which is something we could do with, but he didn't offer much goal threat. Even though there wasn't much quality in the game from either side, it was entertaining.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

good game to watch. we worked hard, looked dangerous going forward, clearly have some work to do defensively and in midfield but there's plenty to work with. can't understand the comments that kewell has his hands tied ect. there's plenty to work with there to get results week in week out in league 2. he may be getting some guidance from behind but we can score goals so he should be able to keep this lot clear of the bottom 2. we have 2 goals in us a game for def. 

not fussed about Tuesday but hopefully get a good result and then sunny at home sat is another big game but one where we have more than enough to get 3 points from.

Looks to me like all our budget went Rowe/Dearnley/Mac. 

Apart from Clarke- there is nobody at the back with any quality. The midfield is to similar and badly lacks a destroyer. We look tidy going forward as you say. . I wonder why that is?? 

You get what you pay for. 

I expect more of the same this season- high scoring games where we look good in patches. But we’re nowhere near good enough defensively to finish above the bottom eight. Which is a shame, because with two or three quality signings at the back, I think there’s the makings of a decent-ish side. 

6 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Apart from Clarke- there is nobody at the back with any quality. The midfield is to similar and badly lacks a destroyer. We look tidy going forward as you say. . I wonder why that is?? 

I expect more of the same this season- high scoring games where we look good in patches. But we’re nowhere near good enough defensively to finish above the bottom eight. Which is a shame, because with two or three quality signings at the back, I think there’s the makings of a decent-ish side. 

I think we have enough goals in the side to mitigate the poor defence, and we will probably be around half way. Strengthen the midfield in January and that could push us above half way.

I was sick of hearing that BBC commentator going on about how good that Muir was for them.  I would like to see Bobby Grant play wide left and Bahamboula play wide right with Rowe and either Dearnley or McEleny through the middle 

5 minutes ago, Andyt84 said:

I was sick of hearing that BBC commentator going on about how good that Muir was for them.  I would like to see Bobby Grant play wide left and Bahamboula play wide right with Rowe and either Dearnley or McEleny through the middle 

It  was a very biased commentary. He was itching for them to beat us. I tried syncing our commentary, but there wasn't one. In fact the Ifollow commentary didn't come on until the 42nd. minute and it was the Richmond commentators. No Latics commentary at all.

43 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I think Ntamwbe could be solid in midfield if played consistently,  he was our good player against Salford. Garrity offers a goal threat but not much more. Whelan and McAlmont are both cowards who look for the easy pass every time unfortunately. 

2 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I think Ntamwbe could be solid in midfield if played consistently,  he was our good player against Salford. Garrity offers a goal threat but not much more. Whelan and McAlmont are both cowards who look for the easy pass every time unfortunately. 

Yeah, that’s a good shout. My concern there- is he mobile/fit enough?

Garrity/Whelan/McAlmont are way to similar- and it’s no surprise we can get bullied in midfield. Which in turn puts pressure on a very iffy backline. (Except Clarke) 

3 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Thought Fage had a decent game, likewise Clarke, the lad from Leeds wasn't as bad as people make out. Potential banana skin avoided. 

I think with a bit more confidence McAlmont could be good.  He seems to take the wrong option quite often after some good work

11 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Yeah, that’s a good shout. My concern there- is he mobile/fit enough?

Garrity/Whelan/McAlmont are way to similar- and it’s no surprise we can get bullied in midfield. Which in turn puts pressure on a very iffy backline. (Except Clarke) 

Clarke's a very good player, isn't he. For someone so young, and nurtured in the cotton wool rarified world of elite football, he really gets stuck in. Very talented player.

Good to get the win and good for Rowe with a well taken goal and very unlucky not to get a second. I have to admit, I am not feeling the love for these players, it's like watching a bunch of strangers who have nothing to do with the shirt or the badge.

6 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Clarke's a very good player, isn't he. For someone so young, and nurtured in the cotton wool rarified world of elite football, he really gets stuck in. Very talented player.

Spot on mate. 

He sticks out like a sore thumb. 

Him and Wheater would be a very decent pairing. . 😩

24 minutes ago, josh_latics said:

Borthwick-Jackson... how did he do over a decade at United?

No idea, he just seems to be going through the motions and appears  totally disinterested. It must be a real culture shock after his time at OT and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him go out of the game in the not too distant future!

31 minutes ago, josh_latics said:

Borthwick-Jackson... how did he do over a decade at United?

Agreed but its the academy style of play I suspect... Carpet like pitches and lots of sideways passing just keeping possession 

Clarke, by contrast, is not only a better player but an intelligent lad and he articulated in his interview the other week that he understands the difference between academy football and L2 etc.... today he showed he was able to dig in and compete against a rugged non league team ... I think he is destined for a very good career

Agreed on Borthwick-Jackson. He just looked average, like he’d given up on fighting to get his career back to a higher level. Not awful, just run-of-the-mill. 

Fage played well as an individual but – with the notable exception of his run and pass for the goal – not as a team player. There was one moment he crossed and momentum took him behind the goal line, the ball was cleared but he was dawdling back and wasn’t in place to recover it; and another when Bahamboula played a one-two and he hadn’t made the run. Looks like raw material but he needs to get on others’ wavelength.

Rowe impressed me but given that shooting is clearly his strength (pace not so much) why was he out wide so much?

Grant had a good game. Impressed with his work rate and his left foot, as well as his generally being a bit of a shit to wind up the other team. Within the laws, but really pestered them. McCalmont was an effective terrier though not so good on doing much with the ball once he’d won it, Bahamboula is clearly a cut above skills-wise though end product not at the same level as his trickery. There must be some combination of him and McCalmont that could unlock most teams at our level. 

41 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

Agreed on Borthwick-Jackson. He just looked average, like he’d given up on fighting to get his career back to a higher level. Not awful, just run-of-the-mill. 

Fage played well as an individual but – with the notable exception of his run and pass for the goal – not as a team player. There was one moment he crossed and momentum took him behind the goal line, the ball was cleared but he was dawdling back and wasn’t in place to recover it; and another when Bahamboula played a one-two and he hadn’t made the run. Looks like raw material but he needs to get on others’ wavelength.

Rowe impressed me but given that shooting is clearly his strength (pace not so much) why was he out wide so much?

Grant had a good game. Impressed with his work rate and his left foot, as well as his generally being a bit of a shit to wind up the other team. Within the laws, but really pestered them. McCalmont was an effective terrier though not so good on doing much with the ball once he’d won it, Bahamboula is clearly a cut above skills-wise though end product not at the same level as his trickery. There must be some combination of him and McCalmont that could unlock most teams at our level. 

First time seen this season and agree with all the above. Grant and Gage had really good games, Rowe should always start. Hope Barnett doesn't start many as he was terrible when he came on. Given some of the results and scrape through by league sides (MK Dons, Crawley and Carlisle) think we did pretty well overall.

Archived