Wrexham 'Hollywood' Takeover

What do we make of this takeover of Wrexham Football club by Hollywood 'Stars' [I don't subscribe to celebrity status] Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney? At least a £2M investmetnt has been promised and the aspirations to turn Wrexham Football Club into a "Global force". Personally, I don't think £2M will be anywhere near enough to cut it and any players they go for will be expecting a much higher than average package for non-league.

Underlying suspicions are of the pair looking to make a documentary on their takeover of Wrexham, which could earn anywhere between £300,000 to £800,000 per episode on Netflix. A nice earner for the celebrities and how much benefit would Wrexham receive? Apparently, the takeover of the club from the Wrexham Supporters Trust would have cost nothing, allowing more capital investment...if you believe that.

I'm unsure, having shades of Notts County at the back of my mind. Here is the BBC page link...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54973357

I can only wish Wrexham FC the best of luck and hope yet another set of supporters haven't been screwed over by some big-time-Charlies who know absolutely zilch about soccer football.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Wardie said:

What do we make of this takeover of Wrexham Football club by Hollywood 'Stars' [I don't subscribe to celebrity status] Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney? At least a £2M investmetnt has been promised and the aspirations to turn Wrexham Football Club into a "Global force". Personally, I don't think £2M will be anywhere near enough to cut it and any players they go for will be expecting a much higher than average package for non-league.

Underlying suspicions are of the pair looking to make a documentary on their takeover of Wrexham, which could earn anywhere between £300,000 to £800,000 per episode on Netflix. A nice earner for the celebrities and how much benefit would Wrexham receive? Apparently, the takeover of the club from the Wrexham Supporters Trust would have cost nothing, allowing more capital investment...if you believe that.

I'm unsure, having shades of Notts County at the back of my mind. Here is the BBC page link...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54973357

I can only wish Wrexham FC the best of luck and hope yet another set of supporters haven't been screwed over by some big-time-Charlies who know absolutely zilch about soccer football.

£2m is not going to be enough to do much, but I'd rather their investment than our less transparent one. But Reynolds has from selling his gin company to Diaigeo so I  doubt that s the limit. It woud be sensible to keep his cards close to his chest.

8 minutes ago, singe said:

£2m is not going to be enough to do much, but I'd rather their investment than our less transparent one

Don't get me wrong, £2M is a lot of money and if it went into Latics I would be happy, for a short while, until it was squandered. The involvement of two Hollywood actors in a skint Welsh football club must ring alarm bells as to the motivation. I would applaud sensible and solid investment in any struggling, lower league football club but there appears to have been too many charlatans [see our club] getting involved recently.

I have my nagging doubts about this one because it's not a fairy tale where a seriously wealthy and credible person or consortium has invested in a club. It is two so-called celebrities, with not a lot of money, dabbling in a sport they presumably know nothing about and with a club they have no affinity with and probably never even heard of six months ago.

7 minutes ago, al_bro said:

It'll be ok until they get bored. To make Wrexham a global force will require £200m not 2, and even that is probably not enough.

REynolds sold his gin company to Diageo for£610m
HE won't have to pump 200m of his own in, but he's savvy enough to get togther s ignificant sum.
Peter Moores, exLiverpool rmoured to be involved.

now.
They'll know where to attract money.

9 minutes ago, singe said:

HE won't have to pump 200m of his own in, but he's savvy enough to get togther s ignificant sum.

now.

If that's the case, they will be another club to overtake us.

'Fly-on-the-wall documentary cash will pay for some upgrading of the ground here and there, and we'll pocket the rest...'

It's sounds like an opportunity for the two principles to get on TV for a bit. I only hope that giving up supporters trust ownership is worth it, and they rise up the leagues.

Wrecsam dwi dymunon dda. 

22 minutes ago, singe said:

now.

At least Reynolds seems to have some business acumen although Moore's involvement has been declined any comment so far.

Diageo—the world's largest spirits and beers producer—has acquired the gin brand co-owned by the actor in a deal that could be worth up to $610 million. As part of the deal, Diageo will pay $335 million upfront with an additional $275 million possible payday depending on Aviation's performance over the next 10 years

It's not an immediate £460 million windfall, as he is part owner but the upfront payment is £252 million amongst the stakeholders, which is not an amount to be sniffed at, however I think playing it safe by saying at least £2M investment. He also has fingers in other pies, so to speak. On the plus side, the pair hopefully have the staying power and can maintain an interest in the club. I am just very sceptical.

Interesting discussion here. 

So we have the majority who seem to think with a hint of bitterness that the project is doomed to failure. £2M no where near enough, in it for the show, charlatans etc. 

Or we have the 'usual' potential buyers with a history of financial misconduct, previous dodgy ownership, opaque source of finance like  potential purchasers of Burnley etc.

This is completely new very public money from very well known people who appear to have no history of dodgy dealings (quite the opposite in one owners case) who just seem to want to have a go at making change and success. Why knock that? Why not Wrexham?

Be honest we would love to be in their position and £2M would seem like a Kings Ransom to us now.

Think BFJ1 has nailed it here so which one you you take?

5 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

So we have the majority who seem to think with a hint of bitterness that the project is doomed to failure. £2M no where near enough, in it for the show, charlatans etc. 

Or we have the 'usual' potential buyers with a history of financial misconduct, previous dodgy ownership, opaque source of finance like  potential purchasers of Burnley etc.

This is completely new very public money from very well known people who appear to have no history of dodgy dealings (quite the opposite in one owners case) who just seem to want to have a go at making change and success. Why knock that? Why not Wrexham?

Be honest we would love to be in their position and £2M would seem like a Kings Ransom to us now.

The Wrexham Trust seem onboard with it, good luck to them - I'd take a punt 

Used to love going to Wrexham watching Latics, be good to catch up with them again - preferably in League 2    

18 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

Used to love going to Wrexham watching Latics, be good to catch up with them again - preferably in League 2    

I wish them well, but as for loving going to Wrexham, sorry Phil but having recently worked there, the place is a shit hole. 

1 hour ago, whittles left foot said:

I would say that when I heard this several weeks ago, it seemed a bit surreal...I know who Reynolds is but not the other guy...and I had to say "What??" and then "Why??". It appears akin to me and a mate winning the triple rollover Euro jackpot and then picking a totally random, second-rate American football team in the outback of Arizona and deciding to buy them and attempt to make them Superbowl winners.

If one of them had a parent or relative from Wrexham, then I could accept a link but this is totally abstract. Of course, there may be more depth to the decision which will become apparent as time goes on but the emphasis on the documentary aspect, which to me is self serving, makes me quite sceptical of their dedication to the project in the long run. I can't get my head round why Lemsagam ever got involved with Latics, so this is along the same lines to me.

It's just strange and celebrity involvement in an old institution like Wrexham Football Club does give cause for concern, which is evidenced by the fans who either abstained or voted against the takeover.

No bitterness, as you interpret it. I wish them well, for the fans' sake and for the club's existence. If they fail, it will be a huge kick in the teeth for those fans who worked hard to form the trust and keep the club going, so here's hoping it is a success. £2M is nowhere near enough and it's not a king's ransom when it comes to turning around the fortunes of a football club. They will need a very good man at the helm to oversee the structure and be prepared to put more money into the club.

Hollywood stardom or Hollywood heartache.
Who knows?

Best of luck to all involved.

2 hours ago, unsworth blue said:

Use to get naughty in the late 90s/ early 2000s 😶

Thuglife

51 minutes ago, Wardie said:

If one of them had a parent or relative from Wrexham, then I could accept a link but this is totally abstract. Of course, there may be more depth to the decision which will become apparent as time goes on but the emphasis on the documentary aspect, which to me is self serving, makes me quite sceptical of their dedication to the project in the long run. I can't get my head round why Lemsagam ever got involved with Latics, so this is along the same lines to me.

It's just strange and celebrity involvement in an old institution like Wrexham Football Club does give cause for concern, which is evidenced by the fans who either abstained or voted against the takeover.

Got to agree with most of this but here is the difference-they are willing to do this in the full glare of publicity not the murky takeovers we see normally. Yes it is for money but there again they are business folk as well as film stars.

Still strange though.

Like you I would love to have a rational explanation as to what Lemsagam gets out of owning our team.

As for their trust vote it was 1809 for-26 against and 9 abstained-pretty overwhelming.

Fond memories of Wrexham trips-one of Carlo Corazzin's favourite  fixtures wasn't it?

Archived